• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that always angry YT Gamer Dude that is always surrounded by his bros is a shithead?
More at eleven I guess

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
Can we stop using the word "unrealistic" in the context of a Zombie game, please?
I am reasonably knowledgeable on the subject of having an arrow stuck in your shoulder, and i can share the insight with you that you won't be able to murder, wrestle and stab 300 people the same and the following day. No matter how many bandages you apply.
It's a game. Abby's super buff because she's traumatized and obsessed. It is well choreographed throughout the flashbacks and through environmental storytelling. It's absolutely ridiculous to discuss how and to which degree her muscle mass is "realistic" or "achievable".

That is correct and that´s also why people shouldn´t pretend that it makes total sense the way she looks by showing pictures of real life people. The argument should rather be that she was simply designed this way, that it is justified by the narrative and makes sense in the game world.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Why the f 'women having to justify having a muscular body otherwise it's unrealistic' in the first place???

The first time I saw Abby & her muscular arms, I never thought once it's 'UNREALISTIC'...

What a dumbass take & I like her design because of how buffed she looked.

Rare to see that in video games.
After all the Youtube/ Twitch people exposing themselves, I've found one streamer I liked who found Abby's design and muscular body cool. He was excited to play as her. Though he's been using logic throughout most of hte story beats.

First 2 hours spoiler.
Like when Joel dies, the streamer talks about how Joel killed a lot of people, so it made sense. Which is what most people should be thinking when it happens, but for some reason most don't understand Joel did fucked up shit, and him changing doesn't fix the mistakes he made, it just makes us sad or mad that he's being punished for them, but fans of 1 should understand why he is being punished in the first place. Was glad to finally find someone who thought like that..

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
(First tweet is inresponse to the tweet you posted)

Matt making an obvious but good point, there's been buff characters in zombie stories... Yet only NOW it's suddenly a problem!?

It's a dumb thing anyway. You literally see the gym in the game she works out in, they literally explain how she can be that swole.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Joel is like a 50 year old man and he looks pretty fucking buff. So fuck off with your misogyny. You aren't being smart about it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What on earth are you going on about? Hahaha.
A shit story is a shit story which is exactly what TLoU2 was imo and like Joe, I also feel it was very poorly executed considering the first game. That is just my opinion (yes, my opinion if I'm still allowed one).

Dunno why you're referring to me as misogynistic for having an opinion on a story. Guess it's just cool to be offended by everything these days :shrugs:
You came into a thread about a misogynistic review and said that you completely agree with everything he said.
At best its a dismissive drive by post, at worst you agree with his misogynistic views. Either way your post was shit

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you consider the fact that it is an apocalypse, don't people know that ages ago people used to be better fit due to the need to physically work to get food and money to survive? Imagine that combined with having a freaking gym!

The apocalypse is really comparable due to the fact humans are going back to the way it was back then. Before all the office jobs and cubicles. Just like back then, they need to hunt, run, lift etc.

It is really weird to me that people would be this centered on a woman having a badass body (with explainations for how she got it too!) when a lot of games have characters with model quality body and no plot reasons for it.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even fucking matter whether or not Joel would have given out his name in the grand scheme of things:
Eb-6gyTWkAA-oxT
Lmao!

Not liking the game is fine (hell, I've never really been into Naughty Dog games) but so many of the reasons I see for the negativity are 100% disingenuous.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
Tried my best to stay away from any arguments around this game for the longest time esp when I heard how toxic some of the discussions can be, and now after I finally finished the game I figured I should find out what about this game that pisses some people off and I just...couldn't believe that Abby being muscular is one of them.

Unbelievable.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not an Angry Joe fan and have never watched any of his videos regularly. I also have only been online sporadically for the past couple weeks and am not actively following any of the accusations against him. I don't like his persona and if his persona is in the same ballpark of his real self, then I can see him being an absolute predatory douchebag, sure.

But while watching a number of different TLOU2 reviews, I did watch his review earlier today and I would consider the entire premise of this thread an extremely, extremely biased interpretation of his comments, if not borderline deliberate misinformation.

Here are the exact statements at the relevant part of the video (starting around 9:50):

"And no, it's not about how the protagonist looks either, Abby having huge muscles - no, in fact, ultimately upon playing it, that is one of the things we loved most about her."
*shows Abby combat gameplay*
"Despite it not making much sense in this world"
*shows footage of the gym while commenting "Look at that - that's why Abby is so swole"*

It is clear from the comment immediately preceding "despite it not making much sense in this world" and from the footage shown after (the gym with a further comment that this gym must be "why Abby is so swole") that there is not an argument being made here that Abby should not have this physique because she is a woman. He states that he loves the way she looks, and clarifies through the gym footage that "despite it not making much sense in this world" is in terms of where someone could actually workout routinely for bulk, and not that it doesn't "make sense" because she's a woman.

I only clicked on this thread because I watched the entire video and cannot recall a single instance that I would label full, or even any, misogyny. I don't give a fuck about Angry Joe at all and I'm sure when I read more about the accusations and other concerns that have developed over the past few weeks, I will agree he should be deplatformed from this site. But to me this thread is a good example of how disapproval tends to bandwagon into including things that are not accurate.

I don't usually comment in threads of this nature and if you're going to quote me and say I'm being pedantic and that it doesn't matter anyway because he's just a predatory asshole, go ahead. I don't care, and in fact I will most likely agree once I've done more research. But there is no "full misogyny" in this review.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I am not an Angry Joe fan and have never watched any of his videos regularly. I also have only been online sporadically for the past couple weeks and am not actively following any of the accusations against him. I don't like his persona and if his persona is in the same ballpark of his real self, then I can see him being an absolute predatory douchebag, sure.

But while watching a number of different TLOU2 reviews, I did watch his review earlier today and I would consider the entire premise of this thread an extremely, extremely biased interpretation of his comments, if not borderline deliberate misinformation.

Here are the exact statements at the relevant part of the video (starting around 9:50):

"And no, it's not about how the protagonist looks either, Abby having huge muscles - no, in fact, ultimately upon playing it, that is one of the things we loved most about her."
*shows footage of the gym while commenting "Look at that - that's why Abby is so swole"*

It is clear from the comment immediately preceding "despite it not making much sense in this world" and from the footage shown after (the gym with a further comment that this gym must be "why Abby is so swole") that there is not an argument being made here that Abby should not have this physique because she is a woman. He states that he loves the way she looks, and clarifies through the gym footage that "despite it not making much sense in this world" is in terms of where someone could actually workout routinely for bulk, and not that it doesn't "make sense" because she's a woman.

I only clicked on this thread because I watched the entire video and cannot recall a single instance that I would label full, or even any, misogyny. I don't give a fuck about Angry Joe at all and I'm sure when I read more about the accusations and other concerns that have developed over the past few weeks, I will agree he should be deplatformed from this site. But to me this thread is a good example of how disapproval tends to bandwagon into including things that are not accurate.

I don't usually comment in threads of this nature and if you're going to quote me and say I'm being pedantic and that it doesn't matter anyway because he's just a predatory asshole, go ahead. I don't care, and in fact I will most likely agree once I've done more research. But there is no "full misogyny" in this review.
He has several moments of sexism in his plythrough and that's out there.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

No one is talking about his review. Watch the damn clip in my OP.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is talking about his review. Watch the damn clip in my OP.
Plus another really *interesting* inputs in his review that I won't link to. Like women having to justify having a muscular body otherwise it's unrealistic and doubling down on his "Last of Us, Women" takes.
He has several moments of sexism in his plythrough and that's out there.
That's fair if true, I don't watch him. I saw the review being discussed and imo being mischaracterized. I could say at that point that there is some sort of disconnect between his comments from these two sources, but it's Angry Joe and I'm not attached to defending him whatsoever. I just think some of his comments that I, myself, heard, were not tending to the conclusion in the OP.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Have seen some of the review and I've reached the conclusion Joe is whining so damn much because he got spoiled on the game. It is a funny review but not for the reasons he thinks, and interesting meltdown to watch.
It sucks because I do think the leaks ruined the game for a lot of people, and not just people who read them, but most people knew the reactions to the leaks without seeing them, so I'm sure most people who went in went in with negative expectations, not to mention people who read them went in wanting to hate characters, without giving them a chance.

Because someone will think it, not using this to invalidate someone who doens't like the game, i just think there are people who did have the experienced ruined due to the leaks and the hate surrounding them. Also not saying this is Joe's case.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Which he does, as he said "It doesn't make sense"and says we should see how she got the muscle. FiveSide

So now please talk about the comments in the clips.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like his reviews. In fact, I look forward to them after a big release.

The pre-skits with Other Joe and company. His real-time reactions. How pissed he gets when he dislikes something like microtransactions, EA reskins, short 4 hour campaigns on $60 games, etc...Hilarious.

*shrug*

Everyone loved him in the other forum when he was making "You fucking idiots!" videos about Microsoft and EA no matter how inappropriate he got. This HAD to be the game that drew the line huh?

Even though I enjoyed many portions of the game, I too left extremely disappointed and agree with many of Joe's points. So many plot holes, so many undeveloped characters, unnecessary shock moments. Are people really going to dismiss his entire 48 minutes of, in my opinion, entertaining content because of a couple dumb comments about Abby?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair if true, I don't watch him. I saw the review being discussed and imo being mischaracterized. I could say at that point that there is some sort of disconnect between his comments from these two sources, but it's Angry Joe and I'm not attached to defending him whatsoever. I just think some of his comments that I, myself, heard, were not tending to the conclusion in the OP.
If he's fine with her being muscular, why even the need to bring up anything in regards to how realistic/viable it is? Like, why spend any time on it? I don't think he's ever commented on how muscular Joel is or demandend to know where his muscularity comes from.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which he does, as he said "It doesn't make sense"and says we should see how she got the muscle. FiveSide

So now please talk about the comments in the clips.
Honestly I don't know what the comment in the clip in the OP even means. My only gaming contact on the internet is this site and Discord, and I don't use social media. I don't see anything facially there that I would say is misogynistic but sure I'll concede in the context of the debate around this game, maybe there is something subtextual there.

You are still mischaracterizing his review. He states directly that he likes Abby's physique and then shows footage of the gym while commenting that this is where she must've worked out.

I'm not going to get strung along into an argument in this thread because I really don't want to be in a position of defending Angry Joe, who at best I'm ambivalent towards and at worst I probably will think is a terrible person once I read further into other threads. I just don't think the content of the OP is accurate.
If he's fine with her being muscular, why even the need to bring up anything in regards to how realistic/viable it is? Like, why spend any time on it? I don't think he's ever commented on how muscular Joel is or demandend to know where his muscularity comes from.
I don't know what is going through someone else's head, and no else does for that matter. I only expressed doubt about how the review was being characterized and provided statements directly from the video that I felt were to the contrary.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that requires even a little bit of nuance to understand (whether you like it or not) is absolutely going to go right over the head of someone that characterises themselves as angry.

The pre-skits with Other Joe and company. His real-time reactions. How pissed he gets when he dislikes something like microtransactions, EA reskins, short 4 hour campaigns on $60 games, etc...Hilarious.

*shrug*

Everyone loved him in the other forum when he was making "You fucking idiots!" videos about Microsoft and EA no matter how inappropriate he got. This HAD to be the game that drew the line huh?

Even though I enjoyed many portions of the game, I too left extremely disappointed and agree with many of Joe's points. So many plot holes, so many undeveloped characters, unnecessary shock moments. Are people really going to dismiss his entire 48 minutes of, in my opinion, entertaining content because of a couple dumb comments about Abby?

Theres a huge difference between getting pissed at consumer rights issues and getting angry because your misogyny blinds you from understanding a game.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

*shrug*

Who cares about sexism when you had your fun amirite?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

*shrug*

Keep the console warring out of it. Yeah, people agree with his rants about microtransactions/dumb corporate decisions, but now are finally seeing the homophobia, transphobia and misogyny that he just can't keep in check, in addition to potentially being predatory towards a woman. Those people aren't willing to look over just because they agree on some stances on how corporate greed is affecting game design negatively.

And his plot analysis skills are embarrassingly bad & his "plot hole" arguments blatantly incorrect, in regards to TLOU2.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

*shrug*

In general, it isn't a particularly well-thought-out review. Though him having a bunch of shit takes isn't really a problem. It becomes a problem when he starts pushing an anti-SJW narrative and lapsing into chauvinism. At that point, his review is not only valueless but also genuinely harmful. There is no place for that kind of garbage. Joe and his shitty takes will not be missed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Since I imagine a lot of people won't want to watch the whole video and give him a click, I'm going to transcribe this from around this point; eventually got to an ad and decided to quit, so I don't know when he drops this subject. Spoilering the whole thing since there's gameplay stuff in there.

"And if that's the point of the game, then okay? I'm still going to be upset. And no, it's not about how the protagonist looks either. Abby having huge muscles. No, in fact, ultimately, upon playing it, that is one of the things that we loved most about her!"

(Cuts to various shot of Angry Joe and his team screaming at Abby kills enemies her bare hands. "Holy fuck", "that is fucking hilarious", "RAAAAAGH", "fuck you brah" and so on)

(Cuts back to Joe talking to the audience)

"Despite it not making much sense in this world."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby at the gym)

"What the fuck, look at this. That's why Abby's so swole. It's like the most state of the art football complex, Dallas Cowboys-"

(At this point, Joe realizes that he's standing in front of a picture of a football team holding a trophy)

"Wait a minute. I made that joke. ANd the joke. They're literally in the Dallas Cowboys compound."
"That's how she got so fucking jacked."
"They're the champions, they can't be the Dallas Cowboys."
(a few more things about football)

(Video cuts back to Joe speaking to the audience)

"But Abby's gameplay is fun as hell."

(Brief gameplay clip of Abby fighting, cuts back to Joe.)

"I just don't really care about doing it, other than for that pure raw spectacle."

(Brief gameplay clip of Abby fighting, cuts back to Joe. Joe laughs at how an enemy dies.)

"Listen. The problem is that we did not wait seven plus years to play as Abby."

"Especially a character killed one of our most beloved characters, flawed or not."

"We didn't want to return to this story to see the characters butchered, broken, and left worse by someone the writers want us so desperately to care about instead. So much so that they will pull emotionally manipulative things clearly to make it happy. Abby gets all the attention."

(Brief gameplay clip of Abby in the cutscene. Joe and one of the others leaves the room, remaining host says "what, are you guys fucking leaving me? I don't want to play this shit.")

"Abby gets everything and Ellie gets nothing, it's like, you can clearly see the bias."

(Cuts to skit of Joe as Neil Druckmann)

J: "Hi ladies, welcome to the design meeting, I'n Neil. I just wanted to introduce our new character Abby. I think the audience is gonna love Abby. Everybody's gonna love Abby. So I want to make sure that we all give Abby her due. So in fact, I got some exclusive features so you're gonna have the small medkit, and later on you're gonna have the big medkit, in fact Abby I'm thinking of maybe dual wielding guns, or maybe I'll take that feature out. But you know I'll tell you what, how about you take all the best stuff in the game. I've got Molotov cocktails, got all sorts of other good stuff for you."

E: "Well, what do I get?"

J: "Shut up Ellie! Nobody's talking to you right now! This is about Abby, not everything is about you!"

E: "But that doesn't even make sense! Okay, Abby's got a medkit?"

J: "You know, you can have this bottle of piss now shut up!"

E: "What am I supposed to do with this?"

J: "I don't care! Nobody cares!"

(Joe-as-Druckmann's voice softers, addresses Abby again.)

J: "I'm just going to give you all the old weapons that Ellie had in the last game. You're definitely going to need one of these. Everything's going to be great. Oh here, take a napkin too, just in case you might need it. What'd you say, Ellie? Stop being selfish! This isn't about you! This has never been about you! Someone's not gonna be in Last of Us 3. I've got plans for her."

(Cuts back to Joe addressing the audience)

"We play as her for nearly 12 hours. She is almost identical to Ellie, she gets all the best guns, equipment, she gets to pet and play fetch with doggos."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby petting a dog, cuts back to Joe.)

"Instead of killing them like Ellie."

(Cuts to gameplay of Ellie killing Joe while Joe and his co-hosts complain.)

"See? Abby good. Ellie bad. Please please please like Abby."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby playing fetch while Joe accuses the game of being manipulative, then back to Joe.)

"Do you like her yet? Do ya? Do ya?"

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby walking away from the dog. Something like "Duck's a bitch"; not sure what that was supposed to be. Back to Joe.)

"It's like this half of the game is a completely separate game."

(Cuts to gameplay of Elly fighting a dog. Back to Joe.)

"She gets this pointless love story that leads to some serious cringe and an honestly uncomfortable abrupt sex scene that comes out of nowhere for what's going on in the scene."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby kissing while Joe screams "what the fuck" repeatedly, then into "ew" and "hey hey whoa". "I don't wanna see- no way- whoa hey HOOOOH WHOOA", "what the fuck a goddamn sex scene what the fuck is this shit").

"Look, what? I saw what?" (This is beside a photoshopped image of Neil Druckmann having sex with Abby with The Last of Us II's cover on her face)

(Cuts back to the group in silence. "Am I fucking crazy? Was that his idea? And then she killed Joel like I was supposed to care about their relationship and watch (can't hear this word because they're talking at once) get fucked from behind?"
"Cheat.
"He's a cheater."
"That's disgusting!"

"Doesn't Sony not allow sex scenes in any other games? They ban a ton of games from other regions for any sort of nudity."
J: "I know! You can't even show fucking panties and shit!"
"But this is art."

J: "Neil Druckmann must have gone to bat hardcore. He's like, no, Abby's getting FUCKED. And I don't care. I want to see Abby get fucked from behind, I want her doggy style, and they're like whoa whoa. Neil man. I'm not sure. I mean Abby killed Joel, uh, I mean maybe that's not a great idea. NO! She's getting fucked brah! Uh, alright."

(Cuts back to Joe addressing the audience.)

"So at every turn, we are told that our old characters are back, and see good in the new characters. Like Manny, (?) mercilessly killed, spits on our father figure, and says 'bend that hole' every five seconds. 'Bend that hole!' 'Bend that hole!' 'Bend that hole!'"

(Gameplay clip of Elly being held down and yelling "I'll fucking kill you")

"Or Danny, whose Danny? Yeah, we don't know either."

(Gameplay clip.)

"Or Owen, who is a two-timing creep, a cheater, or how about the dumbass pregnant lady who insists on going to the front lines of combat with a fucking unborn child and everyone in the dumbass crew is okay with it and agrees with it."

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

I think the main point of contention here was that Abby got ripped post-infection whilst Joel was already in shape back before shit hit the fan (he was a carpenter I think? which would somewhat explain it) so there never was a need to explain it.

But then again, any kind of contention should also be invalidated the moment they showed that massive gym. It's not really that fuckin' HARD to put two and two together.

Oct 14, 2019

*shrug*

"Couple of dumb comments about Abby". Sure.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't know what the comment in the clip in the OP even means. My only gaming contact on the internet is this site and Discord, and I don't use social media. I don't see anything facially there that I would say is misogynistic but sure I'll concede in the context of the debate around this game, maybe there is something subtextual there.

You are still mischaracterizing his review. He states directly that he likes Abby's physique and then shows footage of the gym while commenting that this is where she must've worked out.

I'm not going to get strung along into an argument in this thread because I really don't want to be in a position of defending Angry Joe, who at best I'm ambivalent towards and at worst I probably will think is a terrible person once I read further into other threads. I just don't think the content of the OP is accurate.

I don't know what is going through someone else's head, and no else does for that matter. I only expressed doubt about how the review was being characterized and provided statements directly from the video that I felt were to the contrary.
You don't need to see inside his head to call it what it is: misogyny.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I stopped watching him long ago after his stupid so called "Nintendo Rant" video where he told his fans he wouldn't be reviewing Nintendo games (after fans donated money to him to get him a Wii U) because they claimed the ad revenue on one of his gameplay videos.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Thanks.

Since I imagine a lot of people won't want to watch the whole video and give him a click, I'm going to transcribe this from around this point; eventually got to an ad and decided to quit, so I don't know when he drops this subject. Spoilering the whole thing since there's gameplay stuff in there.

"And if that's the point of the game, then okay? I'm still going to be upset. And no, it's not about how the protagonist looks either. Abby having huge muscles. No, in fact, ultimately, upon playing it, that is one of the things that we loved most about her!"

(Cuts to various shot of Angry Joe and his team screaming at Abby kills enemies her bare hands. "Holy fuck", "that is fucking hilarious", "RAAAAAGH", "fuck you brah" and so on)

"What the fuck, look at this. That's why Abby's so swole. It's like the most state of the art football complex, Dallas Cowboys-"

(At this point, Joe realizes that he's standing in front of a picture of a football team holding a trophy)

"Wait a minute. I made that joke. ANd the joke. They're literally in the Dallas Cowboys compound."

"I just don't really care about doing it, other than for that pure raw spectacle."

(Brief gameplay clip of Abby fighting, cuts back to Joe. Joe laughs at how an enemy dies.)

"Especially a character killed one of our most beloved characters, flawed or not."

"We didn't want to return to this story to see the characters butchered, broken, and left worse by someone the writers want us so desperately to care about instead. So much so that they will pull emotionally manipulative things clearly to make it happy. Abby gets all the attention."

(Brief gameplay clip of Abby in the cutscene. Joe and one of the others leaves the room, remaining host says "what, are you guys fucking leaving me? I don't want to play this shit.")

"Abby gets everything and Ellie gets nothing, it's like, you can clearly see the bias."

J: "Hi ladies, welcome to the design meeting, I'n Neil. I just wanted to introduce our new character Abby. I think the audience is gonna love Abby. Everybody's gonna love Abby. So I want to make sure that we all give Abby her due. So in fact, I got some exclusive features so you're gonna have the small medkit, and later on you're gonna have the big medkit, in fact Abby I'm thinking of maybe dual wielding guns, or maybe I'll take that feature out. But you know I'll tell you what, how about you take all the best stuff in the game. I've got Molotov cocktails, got all sorts of other good stuff for you."

J: "Shut up Ellie! Nobody's talking to you right now! This is about Abby, not everything is about you!"

J: "I'm just going to give you all the old weapons that Ellie had in the last game. You're definitely going to need one of these. Everything's going to be great. Oh here, take a napkin too, just in case you might need it. What'd you say, Ellie? Stop being selfish! This isn't about you! This has never been about you! Someone's not gonna be in Last of Us 3. I've got plans for her."

"We play as her for nearly 12 hours. She is almost identical to Ellie, she gets all the best guns, equipment, she gets to pet and play fetch with doggos."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby playing fetch while Joe accuses the game of being manipulative, then back to Joe.)

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby walking away from the dog. Something like "Duck's a bitch"; not sure what that was supposed to be. Back to Joe.)

"She gets this pointless love story that leads to some serious cringe and an honestly uncomfortable abrupt sex scene that comes out of nowhere for what's going on in the scene."

(Cuts to gameplay of Abby kissing while Joe screams "what the fuck" repeatedly, then into "ew" and "hey hey whoa". "I don't wanna see- no way- whoa hey HOOOOH WHOOA", "what the fuck a goddamn sex scene what the fuck is this shit").

"Look, what? I saw what?" (This is beside a photoshopped image of Neil Druckmann having sex with Abby with The Last of Us II's cover on her face)

(Cuts back to the group in silence. "Am I fucking crazy? Was that his idea? And then she killed Joel like I was supposed to care about their relationship and watch (can't hear this word because they're talking at once) get fucked from behind?"
"Cheat.
"He's a cheater."
"That's disgusting!"

"Doesn't Sony not allow sex scenes in any other games? They ban a ton of games from other regions for any sort of nudity."
"But this is art."

J: "Neil Druckmann must have gone to bat hardcore. He's like, no, Abby's getting FUCKED. And I don't care. I want to see Abby get fucked from behind, I want her doggy style, and they're like whoa whoa. Neil man. I'm not sure. I mean Abby killed Joel, uh, I mean maybe that's not a great idea. NO! She's getting fucked brah! Uh, alright."

"So at every turn, we are told that our old characters are back, and see good in the new characters. Like Manny, (?) mercilessly killed, spits on our father figure, and says 'bend that hole' every five seconds. 'Bend that hole!' 'Bend that hole!' 'Bend that hole!'"

(Gameplay clip.)

"Or Owen, who is a two-timing creep, a cheater, or how about the dumbass pregnant lady who insists on going to the front lines of combat with a fucking unborn child and everyone in the dumbass crew is okay with it and agrees with it."

I still can't believe his thing with "Danny"...how stupid do you need you need to be to not get that exchange

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks.

"Cheat.
"He's a cheater."
"That's disgusting!"

"But this is art."

(Gameplay clip.)

Are the skits supposed to be funny? They sound awful

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main point of contention here was that Abby got ripped post-infection whilst Joel was already in shape back before shit hit the fan (he was a carpenter I think? which would somewhat explain it) so there never was a need to explain it.

Joel was a carpenter twenty years before the events of the first game. Not exactly a strong justification for his build post-apocalypse.

Not that I actually care about this detail. I just think it is funny that Abby gets endless shit for her muscles despite having a readily apparent justification for them built into her game, while no one seemed to care about Joel being stacked.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks because I do think the leaks ruined the game for a lot of people, and not just people who read them, but most people knew the reactions to the leaks without seeing them, so I'm sure most people who went in went in with negative expectations, not to mention people who read them went in wanting to hate characters, without giving them a chance.

I avoided spoilers like the plague (I didn't even know Abby existed until she showed up in my playthrough) but like you say, I knew that there was a lot of backlash out there. It absolutely soured my experience. The whole time I was playing I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, then I reached the credits and I was like..."wtf, that was great?"

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After all the Youtube/ Twitch people exposing themselves, I've found one streamer I liked who found Abby's design and muscular body cool. He was excited to play as her. Though he's been using logic throughout most of hte story beats.

First 2 hours spoiler.
Like when Joel dies, the streamer talks about how Joel killed a lot of people, so it made sense. Which is what most people should be thinking when it happens, but for some reason most don't understand Joel did fucked up shit, and him changing doesn't fix the mistakes he made, it just makes us sad or mad that he's being punished for them, but fans of 1 should understand why he is being punished in the first place. Was glad to finally find someone who thought like that..
Which streamer was it if you don't mind?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
AJ really went off into the deep end with this review and his reaction to TLOU 2 in general. He showed that he didn't understand the basic message of the game at all, and this misogynistic crap makes matters even worse. On top of that it's clear that after he read the leaks he gave the game no chance at all while playing it. The review was a foregone conclusion. There's even parts during the playthrough where he's out of the room and lets other Joe or Alex play. Don't think he ever considered giving this game a fair shot.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I really don't want to dismiss anybody's problems with the game but I feel like most streamers problems here are purely performative. ie, they make a big video lambasting the big story beats in TLOUII leaks then continue to beat that drum to keep the same userbase engaged when the game comes out.

It's the feeling I get watching some of these videos where they complain over every single thing, even really minor stuff is amplified out of proportion. Playing le angry twitch streamer as a clickbait strategy.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
But Joel wouldn't have revealed his name, its what makes it so stupid but this isn't the thread to discuss that
Tommy revealed his and then gestured Joel to give his name. These people are taking him in after almost being killed by infected. Unless we're talking about when he first meets Abby, but even then, Joel has changed for the better, that's shown from what we see of him in little moments like the log in book when you go to clear out infected, where he's having a back and forth between other people who signed hte log making jokes with them, and things we see in hte flashbacks. This isn't the more reserved Joel from TLOU1.

He had less reason to give Henry and Sam his name in TLOU1, people he didn't fully trust, but he still did.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Concern trolling on misogyny over multiple posts, account in junior phase
Anything that requires even a little bit of nuance to understand (whether you like it or not) is absolutely going to go right over the head of someone that characterises themselves as angry.

Theres a huge difference between getting pissed at consumer rights issues and getting angry because your misogyny blinds you from understanding a game.
Who cares about sexism when you had your fun amirite?
"Couple of dumb comments about Abby". Sure.
If you all were this sensitive to these types of issues, you would be equally offended by Abby having sex with a ex-boyfriend who has a pregnant girlfriend.

While were at it with all the sensitivity, how should we feel about not one, but TWO, pregnant women unnecessarily putting themselves in danger, which eventually gets one, almost both, KILLED.

That's great writing right?

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lawyer irl who works with domestic violence victims, don't lecture me about misogyny with some performative shit. The transcript of the pertinent section of the review is directly above, and I provided quotes of it that tended to the opposite conclusion as yours. Unless you can show me where the misogyny is in that transcript and correct me, then stop quoting me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If you all were this sensitive to these types of issues, you would be equally offended by Abby having sex with a ex-boyfriend who has a pregnant girlfriend.

While were at it with all the sensitivity, how should we feel about not one, but TWO, pregnant women unnecessarily putting themselves in danger, which eventually gets one, almost both, KILLED.

That's great writing right?

So you are equating dramatic writing with hate speech? You think those two things are equivalent? Lol.

I guess this is one of those report and move on moments, right guys?

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you are equating dramatic writing with hate speech? You think those two things are equivalent? Lol.

I guess this is one of those report and move on moments, right guys?
If anyone should be reported, it should be you.

Hate Speech? Really?

You're taking it as far a saying that his comments are inciting violence? Last time i checked that was the definition of Hate Speech.

Give it a break.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Going to add a screenshot from his review as well.

Besides potential spoilers, also potentially NSFW.

joe5zjbs.png

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
His review was never going to out him, he probably has people look at his scripts for this type of stuff.not His sponsors aren't going to hold stream stuff over his head unless Twitch makes a big deal about it, so his reviews are what he cares for in terms of not showing that type of content. His reactions in his stream directly goes against some of his points in the review, which you listed, and which further adds to that someone looks at his reviews, or he's smart enough not to say stuff that will damn him in his "professional" setting.

Hope that's helpful, and didn't come off as aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.