• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must get my hand on a white and a black unit asap. SD card means it will also get a jailbreak as per usual, you know, for all our legal backed up carts and mods...

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought any of the other Analogue hardware since I have my original hardware, but I'm definitely all about this since I don't own my older handhelds anymore.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, wonder if they're planning some kind of protective case for it.

Shipping the Analogue NT to the Netherlands was $50, but luckily I didn't get hit with customs fees and taxes.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about what this might be because Analogue will never officially announce anything that requires rom loading so it has to be something small enough you can cram a cart into and I think the only big one left is TurboExpress. As you said. You could figure out something with a HuCard back there.

Handheld-era, what am I forgetting? What else is potentially possible.
Tons of smaller handhelds to choose from. Game.com, Pokemon Mini, Wonderswan, Supervision, Mega Duck, Gamate, Game King, Gamepark GP32, Tapwave Zodiac, Gizmondo and probably a few others I've forgotten. In terms of actual support I can't see anything other than maybe Wonderswan or Game.com though as they'd either be way too complicated or obscure - as much as I'd love a cartridge adapter for the Pokemon Mini.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Does this have support for ROMs, or just physical carts? I have dumped all of my GB, GBC, and GBA games and it'd be amazing to just put them all on this.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Tons of smaller handhelds to choose from. Game.com, Pokemon Mini, Wonderswan, Supervision, Mega Duck, Gamate, Game King, Gamepark GP32, Tapwave Zodiac, Gizmondo and probably a few others I've forgotten. In terms of actual support I can't see anything other than maybe Wonderswan or Game.com though as they'd either be way too complicated or obscure - as much as I'd love a cartridge adapter for the Pokemon Mini.

Oh god I would LOVE an adaptater for GP32 games. I mean the whole 9 of them.

(I chose the GP32 over the GBA back in 2002 and I regret almost nothing)

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would consider some kind of save solution considering the whole battery situation on many of these cartridges. Obviously it's going to be solved with custom firmware but having that kind of support out of the gate would just make a lot of sense to me.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love this partly as a replacement for my broken Game Gear, but it would be even better if they released a PCE GT adapter. Heck, with the dock it would basically be an FPGA PCE (doubt CD would be possible though).

Yeah, me too. And a GP2X after it.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Will this work with the GameBoy Camera? Other consoles like this don't because they are technically just quickly dumping a ROM and then just playing that.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can somebody knowledgeable tell me the differences between the Altera Cyclone V and the Cyclone 10? which one is more powerful? What can devs do with the 10?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This also means that via a jailbreak there is no need for adapters right? Or do the adapters include some hardware too...?
There's no need for the adapters on the Mega Sg using the jailbreak to play the games that would've been supported with the never released adapters for that console.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Support for NES/ Snes and Genesis should also be a given consider it has the same hardware inside. This device will be epic!
That's wishful thinking that probably won't happen. The Mega Sg could've run the Super Nt (and vice versa) core through its jailbreak but didn't because Analogue (whether that be the company as a whole or just kevtris) didn't want it to.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile so comparing the chips is tough. What are we looking at in terms of logic elements and other magic numbers?
45k vs 110k for the Cyclone V (110k is for the MiSTer, 45k was what the SuperNT and MegaSG used)

No idea on which version if the 10 (which is a rebranded 3 I believe) it is

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, those cores would have to be programmed onto the FPGA and it's highly doubtful they'll do that, given Super NT and Mega Sg are active products

"Cores" are Verilog VDHL source codes, which are stored on non-persistent memory and flashed onto the FPGA every boot. An FPGA, in it's default state, is completely inert. A FPGA can't run anything, ever, without the VDHL source being uploaded at boot. Just like the Super NT and MegaSG, you will be able to put other VDHL IP sources onto the core after boot, turning it into other systems. Neither the Super NT nor MegaSG came with their other VDHL sources when you purchased them, that's what the "jailbreak" is.

Keep in mind the SuperNT already has a Sega Genesis core, and had it before the Mega SG was released. Heck, the SuperNT can already run gameboy games if jailbroken.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Thoughts on using Analogue Pocket to play Lynx games

1. The Lynx originally had a 3.5" screen. While Analogue Pocket also boasts a 3.5" screen, the aspect ratio is different (more "squarish" like Game Boy, compared to Lynx's approximately 16:10 ratio), which means the image on the Pocket should be a little smaller than on an actual Lynx.

2. Will the Lynx cartridge adapter also include a ComLynx port? That would be nice to get in some multiplayer fun.

3. The Lynx had the ability to rotate the system 90°, to play certain games (such as Klax and Gauntlet: The Third Encounter) using a vertically-oriented screen. I wonder if this system would allow you to rotate only the screen image, while keeping the system held in its "standard" orientation. This would shrink the image even more (see above), but might be more comfortable than trying to hold this unit rotated 90°.

4. I wish they had designed this system with a wide body that positioned the controls at each side of the screen, similar to the Lynx, Game Gear, Game Boy Advance, etc. Maybe they'll release an alternate version with this format in the future.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
"Cores" are Verilog VDHL source codes, which are stored on non-persistent memory and flashed onto the FPGA every boot. An FPGA, in it's default state, is completely inert. A FPGA can't run anything, ever, without the VDHL source being uploaded at boot. Just like the Super NT and MegaSG, you will be able to put other VDHL IP sources onto the core after boot, turning it into other systems. Neither the Super NT nor MegaSG came with their other VDHL sources when you purchased them, that's what the "jailbreak" is.

Keep in mind the SuperNT already has a Sega Genesis core, and had it before the Mega SG was released. Heck, the SuperNT can already run gameboy games if jailbroken.

Ok what is the difference between the Cyclone V and Cyclone 10?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So functionally this is like a backlit SP with a far more advanced screen and some adapters for HDMI-out and non-Nintendo handheld games.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Aw, I went for the Tapwave Zodiac :( It was a 2005 iPod Touch after all! Bought it because it promised fullspeed PSX emulation, kept it as a great MP3 player, a fancy alarm clock, an offline Wikipedia reader, plus ScummVM obviously. What a time that was.
To be honest the GP2X was just a more powerful GP32, so it was slightly underwhelming. It did allow for better SNES emulation, NeoGeo, Amiga etc. though, so I was happy enough.

The main problem was that the stick was a big downgrade on the GP32.

I can understand why they've gone for a d-pad with this, but honestly it will make the NGPC emulation next to worthless without a decent stick. That thing was the best controller on any handheld before or since, no exaggeration.

EDIT: forgot about the dock. Hopefully you'll be able to pair it with a decent stick, so NGPC emulation should be interesting.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So functionally this is like a backlit SP with a far more advanced screen and some adapters for HDMI-out and non-Nintendo handheld games.

Honestly I'd pay a little more if it had the clamshell form factor of the SP, (keeping the headphone jack ofc) but I get that they want to pay homage.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Will this work with the GameBoy Camera? Other consoles like this don't because they are technically just quickly dumping a ROM and then just playing that.
An example of this: the Mega NT (Genesis) could hook up directly to a Sega CD and use it. It couldn't hook up to a 32X because the 32X required you plug the Genesis video output into the 32X, and the Mega NT didn't have analogue video output.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

How do you access the Game Boy and Genesis sources on the Super NT Jailbreak? Because they aren't currently user accessible

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to make a guess the Cyclone 10 should be the 10CL025 or 10CL040

I really don't think they went with a GX variant

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I really, really, don't need this. I don't even have a lot of Game Boy games anymore.
But fucking hell this looks nice.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok thanks, so the two FPGA's aren't dramatically different and should be able to do the same things

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm guessing they went with vanilla, I was just wondering what it meant for porting MiSTer cores
The Gx line starts at 85k logic elements

That's twice as much as their analogue reserved Cyclone V LEs (45k). So my guess is a low cost Cyclone 10 LT (so either 25k or 40k LEs)

It would be difficult for many of the more advanced MiSTer cores

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really, don't need this. I don't even have a lot of Game Boy games anymore.
But fucking hell this looks nice.
I only have roughly 20 GB/GBC/GBA games myself, most of which are the heavy hitters and I definitely won't hesitate to buy this. Once this thing gets jailbroken, it'll be the ultimate retro handheld device.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

While I didn't choose it over the GBA, I bought a GP32 BLU and loved it. Shame the physical releases are borderline impossible to find, I'm honestly convinced it is the single hardest console to get a full set of games for, I've been after a boxed copy of Princess Maker 2 for over a decade and had no luck. Also there were over 20 GP32 games released physically!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Pocket 200
Dock 100
An adapter of choice 30+ (maybe 2 of them)
Shipping internationally per item 50 x3
480 clams? And potential customs?
Hey auntie, I'm sending something to ya house. Amina come visit next fall for sure.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of into this but first I'd need to go find my Game Gear carts, wherever the hell they are. SUPER GOLF HERE I COME (maybe, actually probably not)