• February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the current shippign asked by analogue is the only reason why i decided i was not going to get the analogue 64 when it comes out. 60 usd shipping for the adapters (when i only wanted one of the three adapters too), + that i could not combine it with a dock since it was a preorder at the time, soured me entirely of ordering new stuff from their store in the future.

ELEGYGHOST

Oct 22, 2023
My black Pocket got shipped out yesterday! Not expecting until next week but they did meet the 48hr shipping time. Yeah it sucks Analogue shipping prices and everything are so high, but they're the only company willing to make these products so unless there's more competition I don't see it going away so you should just buy now while you can!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm just hoping the dock is in stock whenever that 4K N64 comes out (and that that looks like a worthwhile product). Otherwise I'm resigned to never getting one…cause shipping costs.
You'll probably be waiting a very long time since the N64 one will probably be a preorder for a few rounds and they don't allow people to mix in-stock items with preorder items.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It is not. It is has its own FPGA inside.

nR5wMZ3.jpeg

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/AnalogueInc/comments/ri48x0/pocket_dock_disassembled/
Uh, this took me by surprise. Why the hell does it have a FPGA inside? Yeah, that's not gonna make it cheaper no.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just hoping the dock is in stock whenever that 4K N64 comes out (and that that looks like a worthwhile product). Otherwise I'm resigned to never getting one…cause shipping costs.

You won't be able to pre order the Analogue 3D and get your dock at the same time. They'll both need to be in stock at the same time.

Source: I tried this and failed.

SeANMcBAY

Mar 23, 2023
Central Valley, CA
Yes. Multiple SD cards and different firmware versions. I also made sure that my test ROMs match the appropriate hash calculations.

And yes, I think it's very strange too. You'd think all Pockets are identical but I have no other way to explain what's happening.

It's not weird. I heard similar issues with other limited edition models. Search this thread for whenever the week the first limited models started arriving.

I do hope the spiritualized cores all get updates eventually.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Don't have time at the moment to dig into this myself but according to this video, people actually are reverse engineering the dock tech:

View: https://youtu.be/9KSyrl0scFg?si=Ei8iXVQTeLf9nwBa&t=301

They mention it in reference to the DAC but I would guess this work would replace the need for both the DAC and Dock? Someone is getting video output from the cartridge port.

I would guess it'll evolve a lot over time. Seems like something to keep an eye on either way.

Very interesting, thank you 👌🏻

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I realize I didnt really expect to bring my pocket outdoors.

What cases ya'll use when you bring em outise or on travel?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If people want WWF WrestleFest right now they can manually build/install it if they don't want to wait for it to hit the auto updaters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1APBOdFIs

Additional Information:

There will be a follow up post addressing concerns about development, platform targets etc. tomorrow along with updates to a few MiSTerFPGA cores. Currently, WrestleFest isn't ready to be added to a downloader. When it's ready, it'll be added to the Coin-Op Collection PocetFPGA distribution repository. Enjoy!
www.patreon.com

CoinOp Collection Presents: WWF WrestleFest (Analogue Pocket) | Coin-Op Collection

Get more from Coin-Op Collection on Patreon

Last edited:

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
Uh, this took me by surprise. Why the hell does it have a FPGA inside? Yeah, that's not gonna make it cheaper no.

It's baffling. My head canon says that they only have kevtris as their sole developer and he exclusively deals with FPGA hardware chips. I don't know if adding a second hardware developer for ARM chips would reduce costs as labour is (rightfully) very expensive, but the decision to solve every problem with an FPGA is certainly something.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's baffling. My head canon says that they only have kevtris as their sole developer and he exclusively deals with FPGA hardware chips. I don't know if adding a second hardware developer for ARM chips would reduce costs as labour is (rightfully) very expensive, but the decision to solve every problem with an FPGA is certainly something.

It likely saves a lot of dev time, and thus money, getting to reuse work they already put in on the other analogue products. Doing it another way would essentially be reinventing the wheel. It seems like the 3D is the project where they will be moving onto 4K output and a different fpga platform might be a good point for them to start investing in alternative methods.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The bubble/crack that seems to appear on so many Transparent Smoke pockets has started to appear on mine now.

Nov 5, 2017
My Pocket is still bouncing around the west coast. This morning, it said there was a weather delay. Now it's heading to New Mexico. Still says I'm getting it Tuesday, despite holding out hope it'll show on Monday on my day off.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do you happen to know if it fixes the 27 track limit for audio? I converted Y's 1 & 2 to a merged BIN/CUE and it causes the audio tracks to not replay in an area. Rondo standard plays fine for me.
github.com

Release Mazamars312.PCECD.0.2.0.APLHA: 0.2.0 ALPHA · Mazamars312/openfpga-pcengine-cd

What will make this PCECD 0.2.0 ALPHA completed Release? Get 99 tracks with Multi file BIN/CUE Files Remove the need for the requirement of JSON Files. (Yes it is now doable I just need to do a...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It likely saves a lot of dev time, and thus money, getting to reuse work they already put in on the other analogue products. Doing it another way would essentially be reinventing the wheel. It seems like the 3D is the project where they will be moving onto 4K output and a different fpga platform might be a good point for them to start investing in alternative methods.
You'd be surprised by where FPGAs turn up. If your thermostat is newer theres a good chance it has a FPGA in it.

SeANMcBAY

Mar 23, 2023
Central Valley, CA

Mr. Fusion

Jan 6, 2018
Just got my white Pocket and dock. Unfortunately, the dock doesn't display anything over HDMI...
I've emailed support already, hopefully they can get me a replacement dock soon. Is their support very quick when dealing with returns?

SeANMcBAY

Mar 23, 2023
Central Valley, CA
Just got my white Pocket and dock. Unfortunately, the dock doesn't display anything over HDMI...
I've emailed support already, hopefully they can get me a replacement dock soon. Is their support very quick when dealing with returns?

lol no. It took me almost 2 months of emails before they replaced my Pocket.

That was right before Xmas though so maybe they're faster now.

Analogizer Adapter

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
The Analogizer now has a website where you can buy it.
analogizer-fpga.com

Analogizer-FPGA

Here you can purchase the Analogizer adapter and other accessories to play with your original Neogeo, NES, SNES or PCEngine controllers on the FPGA Pocket portable console. You can also watch the game on your favorite CRT screen.

Here's more information about it:
github.com

Analogizer/README_en.md at main · RndMnkIII/Analogizer

Wiki and info about the Analogizer-FPGA adapter for the Analogue Pocket console - RndMnkIII/Analogizer

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The Analogizer now has a website where you can buy it.
analogizer-fpga.com

Analogizer-FPGA

Here you can purchase the Analogizer adapter and other accessories to play with your original Neogeo, NES, SNES or PCEngine controllers on the FPGA Pocket portable console. You can also watch the game on your favorite CRT screen.

Here's more information about it:
github.com

Analogizer/README_en.md at main · RndMnkIII/Analogizer

Wiki and info about the Analogizer-FPGA adapter for the Analogue Pocket console - RndMnkIII/Analogizer

the moment Analogue announces DAC support, you guys can thank me, because it's gonna happen the moment I receive this

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
the moment Analogue announces DAC support, you guys can thank me, because it's gonna happen the moment I receive this
Even when DAC support comes to the Pocket Dock, you can still use this for original controllers :)

Also, you can use the Analogizer with the Dock, so you could output to both an HDMI tv and a CRT

The downside to this is that the Analogizer will only work with openFPGA cores that support it. It cannot be used with carts or GB Studio. It will not show the Analogue OS menu on your CRT. And, you also can't use SNAC controllers to bring up the Analogue menu. Also, even though the Analogizer itself is pretty cheap considering, costs can start building up if you don't already have the correct video cables and SNAC adapters. (The Mister cable for RGB-VGA to Scart is almost as much as the Analogizer)

Of course, you'd need to buy all those video cables for DAC support if you didn't already have them, anyways.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The downside to this is that the Analogizer will only work with openFPGA cores that support it. It cannot be used with carts or GB Studio. It will not show the Analogue OS menu on your CRT. And, you also can't use SNAC controllers to bring up the Analogue menu. Also, even though the Analogizer itself is pretty cheap considering, costs can start building up if you don't already have the correct video cables and SNAC adapters. (The Mister cable for RGB-VGA to Scart is almost as much as the Analogizer)
Oof, I was getting super excited for this, but those are some serious limitations.

And some unexpected and unfun costs, but the limitations are the worst.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Oof, I was getting super excited for this, but those are some serious limitations.

And some unexpected and unfun costs, but the limitations are the worst.
He's still working on it almost everyday. Forks of the NES, SNES, and Neo Geo support the Analogizer. He recently forked PC EngineCD, so that's probably next. Other devs want to support it, too.

The video stuff kinda sucks, but Analog video support is still pretty niche. Most people that want it either already have the hardware or are rich in a particular way that cost isn't that much of a concern.

(speaking of which, i just got my 60$ cable in the mail today. I'm finally able to hook it up to a monitor!)

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Mine's supposed to be delivered today, but the tracking hasn't budged from being in a nearby city on Saturday and isn't even out for delivery.

ELEGYGHOST

Oct 22, 2023
My pocket still says delivery is tomorrow, but yeah we'll see… When it does come, I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't have any defects like your broken sd card slot or the can't play GBA games thing, or the cracking that was reported! What's everyone's played on their pockets? I'll continue playing my PC-Engine collection using the hucard adapter!

Mar 12, 2024
My pocket still says delivery is tomorrow, but yeah we'll see… When it does come, I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't have any defects like your broken sd card slot or the can't play GBA games thing, or the cracking that was reported! What's everyone's played on their pockets? I'll continue playing my PC-Engine collection using the hucard adapter!

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow Reprise - hack that turns it into a self contained rogue like game. There are fun edits to souls and equipment making them better and more useful in tight spots. Lots of crazy room modifiers like enemies being twice as fast, wind blowing you back and forth, and even a Classicvania style jump where you can't change direction mid air!

Gradius 2 Famicom - just some good ole Gradius. I've nearly got it at a 1CC. But I always bungle it up somehow.

Samurai Ghost - sort of a kusoge on the Turbo Grafx. It's Kind of fun once you get used to the controls.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Mine's supposed to be delivered today, but the tracking hasn't budged from being in a nearby city on Saturday and isn't even out for delivery.
Now it just says "We'll add a delivery date as soon as your package starts moving" that is at least more honest about it just sitting in the same place for over 48 hours now.

Edit: It's finally departed the facility it was in for over 48 hours about ten minutes ago. We'll see where that package is going.

Last edited: