• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Tommy Tallarico, CEO of the "family friendly" Intellivision

Lln9XHe.jpg
Yeah, he said it in a video too (17:56 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Plus bonus shouts of communism

OHTtbEy.png

XUKMvTb.png

Um, yikes.

Massive respect for what Tommy Tallarico's contributed to the industry -- not the least in Video Games Live -- so I was willing to overlook this obvious bomb as a well-intentioned love letter to ye olde gaming, but I'm just speechless here. This ain't it, Tom!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not since Cooking Mama has there been such a Trojan horse in the gaming world.

What did Tommy think would happen when this thing started getting out there?

It's hilarious. Both the Evercade (handheld and soon-to-be-console device that sells physical cartridges with old games, including a bunch of Atari classics) and the Playdate (weird little handheld with a 1-bit screen, crank, and curated little games) have good word of mouth and have been really well-received.

The device could maybe work if it wasn't based entirely on the whims of one guy. The issue with the Amico seems to be that every time Tommy pops up his pants fall down, he trips over them, and then he gets really angry about it and lashes out.

He has his weirdo sycophants, of course, but most people not desperate for a parasocial relationship recognize that the whole thing is kinda dumb and sad.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious. Both the Evercade (handheld and soon-to-be-console device that sells physical cartridges with old games, including a bunch of Atari classics) and the Playdate (weird little handheld with a 1-bit screen, crank, and curated little games) have good word of mouth and have been really well-received.

The device could maybe work if it wasn't based entirely on the whims of one guy. The issue with the Amico seems to be that every time Tommy pops up his pants fall down, he trips over them, and then he gets really angry about it and lashes out.

He has his weirdo sycophants, of course, but most people not desperate for a parasocial relationship recognize that the whole thing is kinda dumb and sad.

Tommy could be the nicest guy in the world and this project would still be exactly what it is. The reason those aforementioned products you listed have good word of mouth and this thing barely has any word of mouth, positive or negative, is because its a solution in search of a problem, a poorly thought out mish/mash of ideas and prospective audiences that tries to serve many niche masters while not really fully appealing to anyone of any sort of them. Families and kids don't care about the Intelivision brand or any of the dead IPs this thing is touting, and the hardcore gaming historians that do, probably don't care about touch screen controllers and mobile game aesthetics. Its the brainchild of a completely out of touch company with more money than sense.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Tommy could be the nicest guy in the world and this project would still be exactly what it is. The reason those aforementioned products you listed have good word of mouth and this thing barely has any word of mouth, positive or negative, is because its a solution in search of a problem, a poorly thought out mish/mash of ideas and prospective audiences that tries to serve many niche masters while not really fully appealing to anyone of any sort of them. Families and kids don't care about the Intelivision brand or any of the dead IPs this thing is touting, and the hardcore gaming historians that do, probably don't care about touch screen controllers and mobile game aesthetics. Its the brainchild of a completely out of touch company with more money than sense.

Pretty much.

I found the bit in the E3 video with the faces of developers with how many decades they'd been in the industry flashing up as the selling point amusing. As if that actually means anything, or as if people new to the industry couldn't make good games.

The whole project is completely out of touch.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much.

I found the bit in the E3 video with the faces of developers with how many decades they'd been in the industry flashing up as the selling point amusing. As if that actually means anything, or as if people new to the industry couldn't make good games.

Yeah, it's just out of touch. That's really my takeaway. Conversely I am psyched for the Playdate and love the Evercade.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just hoping some of the nicer looking remakes (Night Stalker, Cloudy Mountain) get ported to regular consoles people actually own. The original Intellivision was forward thinking and contributed a lot to gaming. It annoys me they're attaching that brand name to this new system.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Short story is, Tommy thinks the Wii market is out there still to be tapped.
He's legit an industry guy but I feel like he's riding on his past successes and the Amico is a Wii clone that is being released for a market that doesn't exist, regardless of what studies and market research he has.

His evasiveness over basic questions , inability to answer basis questions seems to also suggest he doesn't have as much data as he claims to have.

Feel sorry for him, I think he thought he found his angle to have big niche console but the Amico is going to end up as en epitaph to his otherwise successful career.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Has anyone asked him about the October release date again yet? I really can't see that happening.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I posted before, as a standalone, this is DOA. But, I think it's a neat concept, they should have just released the compilation on the Switch. Even do a bundle with the controllers.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Just swallow your pride and do some whaling, Tommy. It's the only way you can maybe salvage this mess. Tommy's 10 commandments of anime Gacha.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
I really adore what Tommy did with VG music as medium. VGL show really broke ground and made game soundtracks way more popular and acceptable for general audience. I still treasure my VGL mouse mat with his autograph.

That being said. This ain't it Chef. Chill.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Is the lack of humor in games the final barrier to entry in gaming for many non-gamers?

Is Angry Birds really THAT FUNNY?

Really insightful stuff here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Let's remember that they flat out lie in their official videos. In their trailers they say "All games are exclusive and only playable on Amico", when those games include;

Rigid Force Redux Enhanced - A port of a Switch/Xbox game
Finnigan Fox - A reskin of a game available everywhere else (Fox n Forests)
Emoji Charades - A straight port of a mobile game. The footage of it in the Amico videos still have the smartphone icon in it.
Sesame Street - A game that is available on SesameStreet.org. Yes, really.
Care Bears - Another port of a mobile game.
Brain Duel - A reskin of an old game. Tommy also claimed that he came up with the name "Brain Duel", despite the fact the original game was named and out in 2014.
Evel Knievel - Yet another mobile game port.
TBF, the commandment is exclusive or a port that is unique. Sounds like whoever made the trailers only read the first part of that. And whether these ports are actually unique is TBD.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
I need somebody to help convince myself that this tool didn't actually make one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time, like I need a ghost producer to step forward from the shadows to finally take credit for their work.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
I will never understand people who crowdfund shit like this. It takes a single look to know that it's some dumb thing, yet people are spending money on it. Why?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's no different than reporting on rumors and leaks, but my first instinct was that it's kind of a crappy move for a respectable site to report on something that's clearly not meant to be public info, just because it's not been password protected for a while. If you left your house unlocked by mistake, it doesn't mean you'd happily accept someone walking in and looking around. However, threatening to sue them over this is asinine and tone deaf.

I will never understand people who crowdfund shit like this. It takes a single look to know that it's some dumb thing, yet people are spending money on it. Why?
I've been asking myself the same thing ever since the successful Kickstarter for a smartphone "scanner bed" which was some simple cardboard cutout onto which you place the phone, and use it as a scanner. I think people just want to support someone they like who has a neat idea, even if it's pretty much pointless.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

Kinda funny since you'd actually be exactly the kind of person they'd love to create a game for their system. Did they ever approach you?

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Somehow I had never come across Tommy Tallarico before this thread.

Now he's in my life, which is 'enriching', in the way fast food is 'nourishing'.

And he's not a fictional character from The Sopranos, which is surprising.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously can't see this thing even selling a hundred units, if it ever releases at all.
This thing looks like those cheap knock-offs with the name "Nintindo" on the box that you get in shady electronics stores in some back alley.

EnigmaXtreme

Mar 18, 2018
So the specs of the Amico are absolute garbage

-_- This is my shocked face

What will be the bigger flop, the Intellivision Amico or Atari VCS?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
BFAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
This will make the Ouya look like a Wii level success.

Reading the article, it really does seem like they're trying to disguise the fact it's a gigantic POS. The controller screens run at 15 to 30hz? WTF does that mean? They have super limited memory. There's a gigantic suspicion there's significant lag between what's happening on screen and the controller screens (which isn't being alleviated by any promo material ever showing both in the same footage at the same time). Just seems like an absolute awful machine. But hey, he seems to be leaning into his inner Trump. So maybe he can appeal to the gamer Trumpers and become an icon for them to worship if he's belligerent enough.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Short story is, Tommy thinks the Wii market is out there still to be tapped.
He's legit an industry guy but I feel like he's riding on his past successes and the Amico is a Wii clone that is being released for a market that doesn't exist, regardless of what studies and market research he has.

His evasiveness over basic questions , inability to answer basis questions seems to also suggest he doesn't have as much data as he claims to have.

Feel sorry for him, I think he thought he found his angle to have big niche console but the Amico is going to end up as en epitaph to his otherwise successful career.

Nintendo rode that market until the wheels came off. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with making this hardware, but he absolutely needs to to come to grips with the fact that this hardware's audience is basically a enthusiast market. Basically people who love collecting and cataloguing gaming related hardware. It's actually a step up since it doesn't expect to be an emulator unlike those other devices.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, it really does seem like they're trying to disguise the fact it's a gigantic POS. The controller screens run at 15 to 30hz? WTF does that mean? They have super limited memory. There's a gigantic suspicion there's significant lag between what's happening on screen and the controller screens (which isn't being alleviated by any promo material ever showing both in the same footage at the same time). Just seems like an absolute awful machine. But hey, he seems to be leaning into his inner Trump. So maybe he can appeal to the gamer Trumpers and become an icon for them to worship if he's belligerent enough.
I didn't think people still made refresh rates that low

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This thread provided a much needed laugh this Wednesday afternoon. From gaming racists to stick photos this is sure something.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Let's remember that they flat out lie in their official videos. In their trailers they say "All games are exclusive and only playable on Amico", when those games include;

Rigid Force Redux Enhanced - A port of a Switch/Xbox game
Finnigan Fox - A reskin of a game available everywhere else (Fox n Forests)
Emoji Charades - A straight port of a mobile game. The footage of it in the Amico videos still have the smartphone icon in it.
Sesame Street - A game that is available on SesameStreet.org. Yes, really.
Care Bears - Another port of a mobile game.
Brain Duel - A reskin of an old game. Tommy also claimed that he came up with the name "Brain Duel", despite the fact the original game was named and out in 2014.
Evel Knievel - Yet another mobile game port.
But where's the lie? We now have info from the official development docs, and one of the rules for games to be accepted into the Amico store is they must be exclusive or at least be exclusive versions with features only available on the Amico, so that statement pans out. I'm betting it will get a number of ports of games with new level packs added to make it exclusive

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
amico-listing-question-800x433.png

arstechnica.com

What the heck’s an Intellivision Amico? Console’s leaky dev portal offers hints

Creators compare the $250 crowdfunded console's power to a chip from a $100 2016 smartphone.

Ars Technica is reporting on the information that Intellivision leaked when their development portal was apparently public earlier this month and was then captured by the archive.org webcrawling service. The spec and details are in the link above.

The CEO of Intellevision is tossing around legal actions as the response for Ars reporting on this publicly available information:

aTnK0ct.png

E5E0KpvVgAAvvnc

Amico hardware demystified.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Those "commandments"...wow. Reminds me of those hilarious Smash Bros. "tournament" rulesets.
qffxviurqfc21.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How long was the site open that it was archived by webcrawlers?

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
We at least by doubing sales by creating games "for females too" they'll sell all of 2 copies.

Boom. Tish.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Those "commandments"...wow. Reminds me of those hilarious Smash Bros. "tournament" rulesets.
qffxviurqfc21.jpg

There are a lot of gems in there, but my favourite has to be nobody being allowed to play Pokémon Trainer because the opponent might get confused and not know which Pokémon is controlled by the player and which is from a Pokéball item.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the commandments were something else. A big list of "old school" mentality that really shows this is just some dude with rose-tinted glasses investing too much money on a project that is niche at best. There's nothing wrong with being niche, but every marketing material about this console leans on the alleged massive casual fan base it allures to without ever stopping to consider that massive fan base is fine playing on their phones and most likely won't shell out $250 to play a remake of Ecco The Dolphin. And to force devs to charge no more than $10 for their games while the platform keeps 50% of that money. That's just shitty. This thing will see the support of no one, devs or public.

Tommy Tallarico, CEO of the "family friendly" Intellivision

Lln9XHe.jpg
Equating people not believing in his project to racism. Yeah, dude's a dickhead.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tommy's so high on his own supply that he actually thinks a console targeted at 45~50 year old dads is gonna be a smash hit.

I wish I had that much confidence.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This bit at the end is pretty good

It's already taken this long to get even this much of a glimpse into Amico's hardware, but the info included in this dev portal only scratches the Amico surface. For starters, questions linger about the team behind the console's creation and production. In one example, Intellivision trumpeted its hiring of original Xbox chief J. Allard as "global managing director" in May 2020, saying he would "take charge of a wide variety of operations that are critical in launching" Amico. He left months later and said the role was "not a good fit." In response, Tallarico alleged Allard was still involved.

The Amico team could also be in regulatory hot water if its timeline and association with J. Allard isn't resolved. A March 2021 video presentation to angel investors via Republic.co, which was recorded after Allard's last public statement about Amico and reviewed by Ars Technica, includes a pledge that "the co-founder of Xbox... has been making huge, huge contributions" to the Amico team. Worth noting: the system was originally scheduled to launch in October 2020, five months before that solicitation to investors was filmed, and Tallarico's video didn't disclose that delay to said investors.

J. Allard saw what Tommy was actually doing with this Amico garbage and noped the fuck out of there after 2 months. Tommy is still pretending he's involved lmao

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Never meet your childhood heroes they say.
Tommy is a video game music legend, his lifetime output is INSANE.. this is just sad.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Lol holy shit, TenNapel's bigotry has been clear as day in everything from misgendering transgender critics to anti-gay marriage. (Real actual quote: "I don't consider my beliefs about homosexuality to be mean. I consider it mean to endorse them.")

A Twitter unfollow for Tallarico -- don't think I'll be showing up to Video Games Live again.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Lol holy shit, TenNapel's bigotry has been clear as day in everything from misgendering transgender critics to anti-gay marriage. (Real actual quote: "I don't consider my beliefs about homosexuality to be mean. I consider it mean to endorse them.")

A Twitter unfollow for Tallarico -- don't think I'll be showing up to Video Games Live again.

Oh yeah it's obvious that Doug's views are awful, unfortunately it's just as obvious that Tommy doesn't give a shit.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
He's always given me bad vibes. He has this way of talking about games in the most shallow way possible. And why the hell does he still say he worked on Metroid Prime?

Oh, wow, and those people he follows on twitter. No wonder he gets along fine with Tennapel