• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help when you have shit like this

UK Oreo McFlurry

BQ5nIcD.png

US Oreo McFlurry

Wkz8Lob.png

Is that because of size or different ingredients?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If you are at your typical American sit down restaurant get a salad w/ the dressing on the side, get grilled instead of fried chicken if that's the protein, and either ask for no croutons or only eat a few. Dip your fork in the salad dressing before taking a bite, it should add plenty of flavor and you'll end up consuming maybe a quarter of the dressing you would normally.
This is a good idea. Thanks for this!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Like people's LARGEST issues are how much food we are consuming and the amount of calories associated, vs what is expended. We just eat way too fucking much food. I gag now at eating out and knowing a meal is literally worth a wholes day of food. Now imagine eating out like that 3 or two times a day and it's no wonder why people are obese.

What are you talking about?
The nutrition label reform that happened a couple of years ago does require that companies transition to the format you're showing.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Fat free foods continue to wreak havoc on many Americans.

Serious education and regulation is needed to fix this problem. So in America, that's pretty much a no go. We're just doomed.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Like people's LARGEST issues are how much food we are consuming and the amount of calories associated, vs what is expended. We just eat way too fucking much food. I gag now at eating out and knowing a meal is literally worth a wholes day of food. Now imagine eating out like that 3 or two times a day and it's no wonder why people are obese.

while obviously that's far more helpful than a lack of information, we have had this in the UK for while now and are still steadily getting fatter too so sadly it won't be some huge magic fix for you. It's useful though for those that are counting calories of course though don't get me wrong

Oct 25, 2017
As a general rule, I think people are overstating the impact of media here. People aren't going to become fat because there are fat characters on televisions. What it *does* have a greater chance of doing is reinforcing complacency among overweight and obese people. In regards to normalizing a health problem I think there are a lot more avenues that come before the media in impact (vanity sizing and euphemisms in clothing, etc.)

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Normalising obesity should stop and people with high BMI who "have grown to accept their body" should be more conscious of what they are saying. If you love your body you'd think you'd be taking care of things like your heart and your knees.
But skinny people can be unhealthy too. /S normalizing obesity is something that shouldn't be done and like you said if your fine with your image that's good but know that there can be implications because of it.

As someone who topped 330LBs and was overweight a majority of his life, never again. It was the worst thing I could've done to my body. Walking around and just doing normally every day activities tired the hell out of me. Plus, I was super self conscious and I always thought I looked ugly with my weight which really prevented me from going outside.

I decided to turn it around ended up packing my own food to work and eating more healthy choices. Ended up going all the way down to 240 but gained some back so I'm at 250 now.
Regardless of that I'm way more happier than I was before and went from a XXXL to a XL. Back on that right loss journey and am hoping I can get myself to 200.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I hear normalizing obesity my eyes roll out of my head. Even if that was occurring it's a result of people being more fat not what made more of our population fat. It's an effect not a damn cause.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I hear normalizing obesity my eyes roll out of my head. Even if that was occurring it's a result of people being more fat not what made more of our population fat. It's an effect not a damn cause.

People were fat long before it was even a thing. Most fat people dont even know it exists

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The US gets single-payer healthcare.

Fat people cost more to care for and taxes go up to pay for all the fat people.

Fat people are blamed for the tax hike.

Social outcry against fatties, they are pressured to lose weight, lawmakers are pressured to force them to.

Food becomes more heavily regulated, sugar is taxed. Global warming reduces crop yields, exacerbating this.

A bodyfat positive social movement grows. Eating expensive sweets is a status symbol.

Fat is hip and sexy now, as few can afford the lifestyle.

Normies start to appropriate fat culture.

What the hell does this even mean.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
People were fat long before it was even a thing. Most fat people dont even know it exists

I know it's part of what irritates me so much when people try to peddle it out. I'm more bothered by our need to put garbage in every fucking thing and healthy education in schools being a joke. (Granted that'd be less necessary if our foods weren't loaded with trash to begin with).

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

That blurb is very misleading. That difference is specifically highlighted for healthy Mediterranean diets with lots of fish and nuts, two especially expensive things. I'm not saying food deserts don't exist, but the next paragraph in the study says

In contrast to the findings for food-based diet patterns, healthier versus less healthy nutrient-based diet patterns were not significantly different in price when based on a day's actual intake, but only cost more when standardised to 2000 kcal. These results mirror those observed when comparing individual food groups, such as dairy, based on single-nutrient metrics of healthfulness. These findings emphasise the crucial role of the unit of comparison when comparing prices by nutrient-based metrics. Healthier diets defined based on fibre or fat content will, by definition, have fewer calories, so they will naturally cost more per calorie. Yet, such diets will not necessarily cost more per serving or per meal. In the setting of a global obesity pandemic, assessing price differences per calorie may make little sense when a healthier diet also leads to reductions in total calorie consumption. Growing evidence also indicates that single or selected nutrients are less useful for distinguishing effects on major chronic diseases than types of foods and food-based diet patterns.

Basically, 2000cals of fish costs more than 2000cals of fatty ground beef, but that's not useful information.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That blurb is very misleading. That difference is specifically highlighted for healthy Mediterranean diets with lots of fish and nuts, two especially expensive things. I'm not saying food deserts don't exist, but the next paragraph in the study says

Basically, 2000cals of fish costs more than 2000cals of fatty ground beef, but that's not useful information.
Fair enough

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's fucking crazy. Thankfully we don't have as much sugar pumped into regular foods here in Britain as Americans seem to have, but even then it's such a trap to fall into and it's incredibly difficult to get out of.

I'm currently losing weight and, so far, it's worked out quite well (around 22lbs lost since July ), and one of the main things I had to do was quit the sugary stuff. It got to a point where I would have to have some sort of large sugary "treat" every single day (usually ranging in the 600-1,000 calorie range) or else I'd feel, well, wrong. After two months of really only eating sugar-free Jelly (Jello), fruit and the occasional Apple Pie for deserts I bought a bag of chocolate as a treat and... I just didn't enjoy it. It felt like nothing, like it simply wasn't worth it.

Unfortunately I wouldn't agree. We have great nutritional information in the UK and even then we've constistently been getting fatter as a nation over the past decade or so. We also have stuff like government-funded advertising schemes, free fruit for kids at supermarkets, and the 'traffic light' system (see below):

food-traffic-light-system.jpg

It would help, definitely, but to make a massive change there's going to need to be massive changes to go alongside it.
Because the problem is more than food. Notice how most of the developed nations that is having these problems are the Anglo-Saxons ones, those countries that openly embraced suburban style development in the last few decades? It also about the design of our cities and car dependency. Most people just gloss over them because they think it's a separate issue entirely. You also see the same pattern in developing nations that are embracing these American style developments as they get wealthier.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Because the problem is more than food. Notice how most of the developed nations that is having these problems are the Anglo-Saxons ones, those countries that openly embraced suburban style development in the last few decades? Yeah it's also about the design of our cities.

Why, the burbs provide you with ample trails or paths to run or walk?

I would argue that smartphones, tablets and a general sedentary lifestyle are more harmful. I personally spend at least 12 hours a day sitting. That can't be good for my body.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who topped 330LBs and was overweight a majority of his life, never again. It was the worst thing I could've done to my body. Walking around and just doing normally every day activities tired the hell out of me. Plus, I was super self conscious and I always thought I looked ugly with my weight which really prevented me from going outside.

Were you afraid that some people would make fun of you?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
It's always hilarious how people hate on BMI. Like everybody's a fucking bodybuilder all of a sudden lol.

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
this trend is incredible. it doesn't look like it's going to stop either...

4Krn756.jpg

Coincidentally, I moved to Hawaii 10 months ago and have gotten back to a size 34 waist. Feels good man. I spend a lot of my free time in the ocean here.

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018

I would argue that smartphones, tablets and a general sedentary lifestyle are more harmful. I personally spend at least 12 hours a day sitting. That can't be good for my body.
No they don't. What are you basing this off of or am I missing your sarcasm?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
just look at all those "Fastfood chain X now offers bacon-wrapped cheese-filled sugar canes" threads here at resetera which pop up almost weekly.
U.S. fastfood restaurants sell the trashiest food imaginable. even the worldwide famous ones. fat and sugar bombs held together by fillers and artificial crap. now add a huge soda and you have a problem.
Apparently the food standard in the US is ridiculously low. I was totally shocked how much worse a simple mcdonalds burger tastes in the states.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is trying to lose weight, and has been for two years now, and keeps falling off...

It's so fucking hard. I'm back on the train, and I'm lower than I was when I started, but I've stagnated at ~280 (after getting as low as ~260 (starting at ~310)). Eating out with coworkers for lunch doesn't help at all. I basically have to refuse to be social to eat better, even when I try to order the healthiest stuff. Tracking calories is the only thing that works for me (I also workout at least two days a week, sometimes three).

On top of all that, it's hard to just stop when your body's used to that shit. Sometimes I've eaten way too much out of habit without even realizing it, and afterwards I'm like fuuuuck and then I plug it into MyFitnessTrainer and I'm like FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Anyway...
Were you afraid that some people would make fun of you?
I can empathize with being overly self-conscious. Took me 30 years to stop caring. If I'm at the gym and someone's going to mock me for being fat, fuck them. But it took a long time. I lack self-esteem, I've always been super shy, I suffer from social anxiety and depression (the last of which makes me exhausted and unmotivated quite regularly and also contributes to over-eating!!).

Living in America on top of all of that does not help at all. It's a culture of overeating and/or eating a dozen fried fucking sticks of cheese with a side of spaghetti.

So, at the very least, I understand why people like me are obese. U:

So it costs 1.50 per day more. Times 30 that's 45 a month. This should be doable for most Americans. Also I could not find out if the research took into account farmer markets and such.
I can't speak to this with a hundred percent certainty, but I'm pretty sure I've read a lot about how poor people eat poorly (sorry) because they can't afford to spend the extra money on healthy food. 45 bucks might not sound like a lot to you (sure doesn't to me), but when you're literally living paycheck to paycheck? I've given money to a friend here and there just so they could afford rent, and I know they weren't faking it. I don't know how much "most Americans" means to you, but I know there's a not insignificant number that live in poverty.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

Because those are separate activities you have to think about. Living in a walkable neighborhood makes you walk to the grocery store, makes you walk to the bus station, makes you walk to the bank, etc. All these little walks add up and you don't even have to think about it and before you know it you already walked two to three miles before even hitting the gym that day. No joke, many Americans' only form of exercise is walking from the parking lot to the store/office each day.

If your area is walkable, there is no need for 'motivation' to get out and take advantage of those trails. You just walk as an everyday part of your life.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Because those are separate activities you have to think about. Living in a walkable neighborhood makes you walk to the grocery store, makes you walk to the bus station, makes you walk to the bank, etc. All these little walks add up and you don't even have to think about it and before you know it you already walked two to three miles before even hitting the gym that day. No joke, many Americans' only form of exercise is walking from the parking lot to the store/office each day.

If your area is walkable, there is no need for 'motivation' to get out and take advantage of those trails. You just walk as an everyday part of your life.

I guess, I have always lived in towns where this is doable or part of everyday life as well.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Not too surprising. Staying at a healthy weight is a lot of work. I hit 235 lbs (at 6 feet tall) in 2011, partly due to side effects of a medication I was on, partly because I was eating like complete garbage. It has taken me 7 years and a complete rework of how I approach food to lose 40 lbs. I cut out soda almost completely and my entire sugary drink consumption is about 10 L a year. I almost never get baked goods at a store anymore unless it is a special occasion- if I want cookies or brownies I force myself to bake them. I eat a lot more fruits and vegetables, and my meat consumption is perhaps a third or half of what it used to be. I even gave up my 1 bag of chocolate creme Oreos every two weeks recently in favor of cereal and whole milk. Which might seem like a bad trade, but 2 chocolate creme Oreos is 14 grams of sugar so 4 of those is equivalent an entire bowl of cereal and a cup of whole milk. I get full off a bowl of cereal and whole milk, 4 Oreos just makes me want to eat another 10.

I also forced myself to start exercising 3 times a week for an hour each time. All of this was ridiculously hard when I first started changing my habits. but after a while I realized how much better I felt. Heartburn went way down and eventually disappeared. My breathing when I went to bed got a lot easier. I have so much more energy now than I did before.

And I'm not even at my final healthy weight yet. I've got another 10 lbs to go. Also, family pressure to eat really sucks. I usually have the benefit of not eating with family, so I don't have the typical holiday weight gain that a lot of people see. I had Thanksgiving with my sister last year, and I felt awful the next month or so.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry folks. It seems a consensus has been made in this thread about people getting fat because they eat unhealthy calories and don't go to the gym. Fine, thanks for that scientifically accepted and well-known opinion.

That's just not working like that. It's more complex.

Yes, without doubt, we can say that X people will have more chance gaining weight by eating a lot (note how i don't speak about calories here) and have a very sedentary life. But, it is not as simple as that, some won't gain weight in any circumstance. Some will gain weight in any circumstance.

Metabolism and how body stores fat and sugar varies a lot depending of the people you'll observe. That's a fact, any doctor, any nutritionnist will acquiesce. And yes, the mechanism to LOSE fat is well-known, eat less and go to the gym... Or in fact it isn't. Some people are blocked here and can't easily lose weight thanks to their metabolism and insulin level. That's the fucking real fact, get real please.

Now, my testimony. I'm french, i'm 31years old, i am a guy. 1m82 for 115kg, i am obese. For all my life, i've eaten veggies as the majority of every meal. I don't like sugar (no candy, only some not-processed black chocolate once a week), i am disgusted by fat since childhood (don't eat it if i see it). I cook myself every meal at every time with good food, local often, veggies most, potatoes, pasta, meat (i'm no vegetarian), etc, for my family. And my parent did the same in my childhood. Approximately no processed food, little sugar, little fat... Sports ? I've practiced soccer since i was 7 years old and until 19, trainings twice a week, etc. I'm a strong guy, and i've become obese all of a sudden after my teen years.

"but you stopped soccer..."
19 years old to 25. University ! Youpi ! I had to walk 12km everyday to go there because no cars, no bus line between me and the fac. I'm a good walker, that was fine. But i've gained 35kg in two years between 19 and 21. Explain that to me. I wasn't even eating much, i had very little money, fasting was rampant in my life. 35 f***ing kilos in two years ! Then, ten until now.

Now, i have two child, one is 3.5 years old and his very healthy. 14.5kg, skinny. Second one is 1.5 year old, problem of growth since birth. 8kg, very skinny. They eat what i cook to them everyday, no processed food, little sugar, little fat. They don't gain weight. I wasn't gaining any fat until 18 years old myself, exactly the same as my children. Very skinny, i could have eat everything in my teen, with the excess that comes with it, nothing.

I know for sure something made me gain weight like never before in my early twenties and that changed something in my body ever since. What ? Explain to me please.

This mechanism is misknown, the nutritionist told me. I'm doing intermittent fasting for two months now, i feel healthy, but the kilos didn't move... Yet if ever.

this trend is incredible. it doesn't look like it's going to stop either...

4Krn756.jpg

Coincidentally, I moved to Hawaii 10 months ago and have gotten back to a size 34 waist. Feels good man. I spend a lot of my free time in the ocean here.

That graph actually seals the deal to me.
It can't just be people eating too much calories and not going to the gym.

In 27 years, something concrete has to be causing this. I'm betting it's hormonal, with endocrine disruptors doing the work.

It can't be caused by a slow change of lifestyle over the years. It's absurd. We are talking about what ? 27 years ?

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What are you talking about?
The nutrition label reform that happened a couple of years ago does require that companies transition to the format you're showing.
I wasnt aware and just looked it up they have to be now compliant by January 1, 2020. But i havent seen many products move to the new label, (they should have all changed in 2018)

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But skinny people can be unhealthy too. /S normalizing obesity is something that shouldn't be done and like you said if your fine with your image that's good but know that there can be implications because of it.

I decided to turn it around ended up packing my own food to work and eating more healthy choices. Ended up going all the way down to 240 but gained some back so I'm at 250 now.
Regardless of that I'm way more happier than I was before and went from a XXXL to a XL. Back on that right loss journey and am hoping I can get myself to 200.

Dude, that's seriously great progress. Keep it up. You'll feel so incredible if you hit your goal.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
You can get cheap fruit and veggies at the 99 cent store. No excuss for being fat and eating fatty food

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is BMI the one that doesn't measure accurately? Like a body builder would be considered obese under it, right?

Yup.

At 6'2 my "normal" range is 144-194.

I used to weigh 155 and I looked like a POW.

I currently lift a lot and have almost no body fat and am at 225 (which it says is overweight... to which I lol).

It's a general indicator but by no means accurate across the board.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry folks. It seems a consensus has been made in this thread about people getting fat because they eat unhealthy calories and don't go to the gym. Fine, thanks for that scientifically accepted and well-known opinion.
For me calories is calories, they come from bio vegies & fruits like any other processed food. The only argument about good or bad colories when it comes to weight ( and not health ) is that non processed food should make you feel fuller for the same amount of calories; which does not mean that someone can't eat too much calories with mostly "healthy" food.

I went 96kg -> 72kg eating mostly frozen meat, canned vegetables, eggs, soups in bags..... there was nothing healthy about that diet, it just didn't go over 1500 cal a day, often less..