Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of cooking, I appreciate that ingredient/recipe kits are catching on with the big grocery chains. One of the most annoying things about cooking is having to hustle around 10 aisles to get all your ingredients, and often you end up buying them in quantities that you don't really need.

Melyes

Nov 6, 2017
France
I don't get it, isn't it normal in America to be a bit fat ?
Nah, on a serious tone, there are several mesures to take to prevent this to expand into America. The world is no exception. In France, they stopped the "free drinks machines" service in fast foods, which is a positive start. What does American do to prevent obesity ?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, on a serious tone, there are several mesures to take to prevent this to expand into America. The world is no exception. In France, they stopped the "free drinks machines" service in fast foods, which is a positive start. What does American do to prevent obesity ?
I like that everyones fat. Makes me look good.

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely nothing. Well, I think restaurants (or maybe just fast food places) are required to show calories on menus nowadays? But that's about it

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't the argument champ. The argument was the cooking your own meals is easier and more time efficient than standing in line at McDonald's.
Well gosh boss, I guess it does take some effort for an individual not to be massively overweight.

Society has a major systemic problem with obesity in North America. But that doesn't mean individuals don't have a personal responsibility to keep themselves healthy.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Human behavior isn't an excuse for your own behavior.

Expecting the obesity crisis to end because everybody all of the sudden gains self control is wrong.

Excusing your own poor habits because of societal problems is just a poor excuse.
The obesity epidemic is a societal problem that will only be solved on a societal level.

Kinsaras

Aug 10, 2018

They allow you to get more food and drink for only a few cent more.

Oh prevent? Nothing really.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Well gosh boss, I guess it does take some effort for an individual not to be massively overweight.

Society has a major systemic problem with obesity in North America. But that doesn't mean individuals don't have a personal responsibility to keep themselves healthy.
Aint it amazing when all your problems can be blamed on the system?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Not a goddamned thing. Seriously, nothing. Every time someone does something it's attacked as nanny-state big government. New York banned big gulps and everyone was against it despite that you could still purchase that same ungodly amount of soda just not in one fucking cup. Michelle Obama wanted to get kids healthy and the right wing in this country attacked her like she was trying to poison their children. America doesn't want to be told it's fat. It doesn't want any solutions. Corporations don't want those solutions either. We're fucked.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The US gets single-payer healthcare.

Fat people cost more to care for and taxes go up to pay for all the fat people.

Fat people are blamed for the tax hike.

Social outcry against fatties, they are pressured to lose weight, lawmakers are pressured to force them to.

Food becomes more heavily regulated, sugar is taxed. Global warming reduces crop yields, exacerbating this.

A bodyfat positive social movement grows. Eating expensive sweets is a status symbol.

Fat is hip and sexy now, as few can afford the lifestyle.

Normies start to appropriate fat culture.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I need to lose 15 pounds to be at a healthy weight. And I know the source of my problem - it's craft beer. I have been averaging about 1 a day for far too long. I vowed to only drink alcohol on Friday/Saturday a few weeks ago and I'm already feeling a difference.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Ah well okay...

Actually it's not okay I looked it up:
DL2TMEh.png

McDonald's Fries have 0g of sugar. There you go.

Sugar would be added to the seasoning and is frequently a key ingredient in seasoned fries.

That being said, McDonald's does not add sugar to their fries.

ETA:JK. I did know that they sprayed dextrose in their fries, it just didn't register that it was a sugar.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
A big issue is just portion size. But you can't get away with charging $8 for a burrito that's half the size.
This is why when I eat out I've started to just have half the portion and keep the leftovers. Listening to my parents about cleaning my plate at restaurants was a mistake.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why when I eat out I've started to just have half the portion and keep the leftovers. Listening to my parents about cleaning my plate at restaurants was a mistake.

I always have done this. It's partly because my appetite doesn't frequently allow me to eat a full portion comfortably, and partly because I'm cheap and I love making my meal cost 50% as much by stretching it out.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The obesity epidemic is a societal problem that will only be solved on a societal level.

This is true at the same time understanding you have the ability to change before eating yourself into an early grave.

Honestly what kills me is seeing HS and college aged kids who get winded walking up a flight of stairs. I just want to grab them and beg them not to end up dead from a heart attack at 35.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's only going to get worse. If anyone up north feels left out, don't worry - we're pretty fat too:

Adult Obesity in 2016:

riU2orA.png

More than double that to get obese and overweight.

Newfoundland seems to love their cod cheeks and roast chicken potato chips.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally everyone is selling you the most unhealthy food in irresponsible portions and trying to make you want it everywhere you go, everywhere you look, using years of psychological and data-based research against you.

If only we could turn back the clock...

458b98a8da3b74d504c6a37482599b03.jpg

1416773509-0.jpg

jello10.jpg

83039603a3e632b29ef4a01e25d470c6--retro-recipes-vintage-recipes.jpg

I think i just found the cure for obesity

Last edited:

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Other states have larger populations than West Virginia.

WV: 1.816 million * 38.1% = 691,896 people
CA: 39.54 million * 25.1% = 9,924,540 people

California has more obese people than West Virginia has people.

This logic hurts my head. There is no way you get a national average of 39.6% if the state with the highest rate is at 38.1%. Other states having bigger populations doesn't change that, that's not how averages work.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but that doesn't eliminate personal responsibility.
No one said it did. You're attacking straw men. Of course if im talking to someone one on one and they want to be more healthier I'm not going to say to them "well you're kinda fucked because society enables obesity". I'm going to give them personal advice that they can enact as their individual selves in their own life. However this thread is about a growing number of Americans becoming obese. This is a societal problem that we need to talk about on a societal level. We need to talk about how to implement societal to change to facilitate healthier decisions from the populous. Noting that people are overworked and stressed generally which leads to bad decisions like waiting in line at McDonald's instead of cooking a meal is absolutely factoring in here. It's not removing personal responsibility no one is talking about individuals anyway.

This is true at the same time understanding you have the ability to change before eating yourself into an early grave.

Honestly what kills me is seeing HS and college aged kids who get winded walking up a flight of stairs. I just want to grab them and beg them not to end up dead from a heart attack at 35.

We need to create policy that helps individuals make better decisions more often.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This logic hurts my head. There is no way you get a national average of 39.6% if the state with the highest rate is at 38.1%. Other states having bigger populations doesn't change that, that's not how averages work.

Maybe childhood obesity rates are way higher than adult obesity rates? They seem to be using general obesity rates and then adult rates later? I'm not sure.

No that's not it. Not sure what's up with the numbers.

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018
It could be if you count travel time and getting ready to leave the house.
Nah. From my house to the nearest Wendy's is five minutes. By foot. Tops. My order takes only about twelve minutes if they're busy. It is not that big of a time investment when you also factor in not having to shop for your food and also wash your dishes afterwards.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Like people's LARGEST issues are how much food we are consuming and the amount of calories associated, vs what is expended. We just eat way too fucking much food. I gag now at eating out and knowing a meal is literally worth a wholes day of food. Now imagine eating out like that 3 or two times a day and it's no wonder why people are obese.

I was at Bubba Gumps for dinner just last night (we were doing Universal that day, and we had to stop somewhere for dinner) and I balked at how almost every single dish on there was over 1000 calories.

Even the fucking salads were close to 1000 calories.

That's not counting the fact that quite a number of food items on there almost reached 2000 calories.

So I just settled on clam chowder and a small garden salad. :P

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Maybe childhood obesity rates are way higher than adult obesity rates? They seem to be using general obesity rates and then adult rates later? I'm not sure.

It makes zero sense to me that there would be more obese children than adults.

I'm just saying, something's fishy about that article.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was at Bubba Gumps for dinner just last night (we were doing Universal that day, and we had to stop somewhere for dinner) and I balked at how almost every single dish on there was over 1000 calories.

Even the fucking salads were close to 1000 calories.

That's not counting the fact that quite a number of food items on there almost reached 2000 calories.

So I just settled on clam chowder and a small garden salad. :P

It annoys me when even the salads are ridiculously high-calorie. Usually it's the dressing that does it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If you are at your typical American sit down restaurant get a salad w/ the dressing on the side, get grilled instead of fried chicken if that's the protein, and either ask for no croutons or only eat a few. Dip your fork in the salad dressing before taking a bite, it should add plenty of flavor and you'll end up consuming maybe a quarter of the dressing you would normally.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
as someone trying to gain weight it's frustrating to see how little calories everything has lol

"this big mac is ONLY 550 calories, wtf?"

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I just want to say that this is preventable, so fatalism is the wrong attitude towards obesity. In Switzerland, the government runs campaigns against child obesity with measurable success.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because you have a bunch of energy to cook at home doesn't mean everyone else does.
I hate cooking, but the most basic of meals don't take energy. You can make a basic salad by just chopping a few vegetables and maybe adding some cheese + oil / vinegar. Hell, even a simple sandwich is more healthy than the deep fried shit you get at McDonalds.

Your weight is your own responsibility. If nothing else then simply eat less.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I hate cooking, but the most basic of meals don't take energy. You can make a basic salad by just chopping a few vegetables and maybe adding some cheese + oil / vinegar. Hell, even a simple sandwich is more healthy than the deep fried shit you get at McDonalds.

Your weight is your own responsibility. If nothing else then simply eat less.
Get a instant pot, toss everything in, go shower and foods ready.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
as someone trying to gain weight it's frustrating to see how little calories everything has lol

"this big mac is ONLY 550 calories, wtf?"

Right?! I've never had an issue with portion sizes in America. But that's because I only eat 2-3 times a day. Most Americans literally eat all day in every moment of the day.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a fact that if I consume lese calories than I burn in a day I will lose weight. Don't know if you can agree to disagree about the laws of thermo dynamics.

The amount of calories that you burn is highly variable, and affected by what you eat and by weight loss itself.
I guess counting calories would have made sense before the discovery of hormones.