• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Ah, thanks for clearing this up. I've used SimplyGames before but never that far in advance of a game's release, and I'd still recommend them for the same reasons you stated.

I stand corrected on Simply Games since my card has just been charged for my Fire Emblem and Astral Chain pre-orders! I guess they are now extracting payment after 21 days. I don't personally mind this at the moment and will continue using Simply Games for the benefit of being able to get games a day early. I will probably revisit my practice of pre-ordering games over a month out however.

Krfstk

Banned
May 29, 2019
Why people still pre-order is beyond my knowledge with all the terrible examples we had the last couple of years.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Germany too? Anyone know? Would be awful.

I'm not preordering a 100-200€ collectors edition that comes out in half a year if they already take my money.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
it's better if it doesnt charge until it ships, because i've pre ordered stuff, only to find it go way down in price later

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Welp, hopefully all of the games and consoles I want to preorder come before they implement it in the US and they'll be grandfathered in.
I don't understand why they would care if someone cancels. Can they not just sell the item to someone else?
Probably, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's also due to the fact that when limited edition pre-orders are canceled en masse those allocations fail to sell. This can include people who cancel because reviews for a game or product were negative before release or scalpers don't get their desired profits or sales.

Also if you think tis is bad i ordered from Domino's Pizza the other day and they charged me a £2 delivery fee.

When i exploded they explained they were trialing new models in certain stores.

the food was no cheaper btw.

Everything is awful now.
Yep, they did it over here in the states too, now the delivery fee costs as much as a pizza at coupon price. Thankfully, I live in NYC so I can get better quality pizza for the same price.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining of this policy is that long ahead preorders of limited editions were often at risk due to credit cards being changed/replaced in the time period between order and dispatch. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a limited edition preorder endangered due to a credit card change in the interim.
If you have a Visa or MasterCard, the likelihood of your card issuer updating expired/replaced cards on file with Amazon for you automatically is actually very high these days. Many merchants, Amazon, Sony, Microsoft, Steam and countless others, these days participate in what's called Account Updater / Automatic Billing Updater that facilitate updates of outdated payment on file with no action needed from the card holder, to improve conversion rates for subscription services and other longer term billing situations like a pre-order.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Several reports on another italian videogame forum stating Amazon.it got the entire amount of money immediately for games pre-ordered in the last couple of days. Yeah, you can cancel your order and get the money back, but I used to pre-order on Amazon because of the price guaranteed practice, in case I was able to find the game in another retailer with a lower price I would cancel the Amazon pre-order, if not I'd get the game saving 2-3€ or so (because that's usually the max amount of money you can save compared to other retailers). I'm not interested in mp games so I never redeemed a beta code from Amazon, I'm just bummed I won't be able to secure games for a lower price anymore without being charged immediately for a game releasing in one year or more.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why people still pre-order is beyond my knowledge with all the terrible examples we had the last couple of years.

If I preorder a game, it's sitting there waiting for me when I get home on release day and I don't have to waste a bunch of extra time commuting to a store to pay over what I could have ordered the game for online.

That said, I wouldn't preorder something that charges on order well before the release date anyway, so...

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England

Different strokes for different folks. I only pre-order games that I would be certain to buy day one. Similarly, I often pre-order books and music. It is a way of showing support for the things that I love.

Often you get things ahead of official release too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Welp, hopefully all of the games and consoles I want to preorder come before they implement it in the US and they'll be grandfathered in.

Probably, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's also due to the fact that when limited edition pre-orders are canceled en masse those allocations fail to sell. This can include people who cancel because reviews for a game or product were negative before release or scalpers don't get their desired profits or sales.

Yep, they did it over here in the states too, now the delivery fee costs as much as a pizza at coupon price. Thankfully, I live in NYC so I can get better quality pizza for the same price.

ridiculous. its already outrageous how uhc they charge. i know in the uk any pizza you order costs them £2 - this is for ingredients., wages, rent etc and its basically impossible to get a pizza for less than £15.

you cant get a dominos franchise in london - they make so much money that people never let them go

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks but my hands are tied.

Most other places have screwed me over one way or another and I don't use them. Amazon has been the only one being fair to me.

I rarely cancel my preorders anyway but I don't like the idea not to cancel on a whim.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Trash they better keep this out of the states, I use it for betas and stuff.
And that's is probably the reason why amazon is changing to immediate payment. To stop the preorder- get beta (other goodies)- cancel abuse.

I think we are all guilty of it and it was just a matter of time for amazon to change.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
And that's is probably the reason why amazon is changing to immediate payment. To stop the preorder- get beta (other goodies)- cancel abuse.

I think we are all guilty of it and it was just a matter of time for amazon to change.
As I've literally mentioned time and time again in this thread. This doesn't stop that.

See
Nah, cos they charge five days after you order. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware they usually sent the codes within 48 hours after ordering. Consequently this does nothing to stop people abusing that system lol. They'd charge straight away, not in five days, if they were trying to tackle that.

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
If you want to exploit them to get your free betas, you should still be able to cancel the purchase before release.

I don't understand why anyone would pre-order a game months ahead of release, but if this stops some people from going that route, it's ironically good for the consumer.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As I've literally mentioned time and time again in this thread. This doesn't stop that.

See

They might charge 5 days later but the actual hold of the funds is put on straight away. If you cancel, you don't get charged but the funds are still on hold for a week before released (depending on bank).

So yeah, the system can still be abused if you don't mind having the full amount on hold for a while.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
They might charge 5 days later but the actual hold of the funds is put on straight away. If you cancel, you don't get charged but the funds are still on hold for a week before released (depending on bank).

So yeah, the system can still be abused if you don't mind having the full amount on hold for a while.
That's how it sometimes worked before though really.

I'd occasionally have money ring fenced from them for a pre-order, usually if you're using a new payment method/address or combination of the two.

Honestly I really don't see it stopping that, or being about that, really.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
That's how it sometimes worked before though really.

I'd occasionally have money ring fenced from them for a pre-order, usually if you're using a new payment method/address or combination of the two.

Honestly I really don't see it stopping that, or being about that, really.

True. In the end it's not a financial loss to amazon giving a code away and then not selling the preordered item. It's more of a reputation thing I guess and they might not get supplied in the future

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
True. In the end it's not a financial loss to amazon giving a code away and then not selling the preordered item. It's more of a reputation thing I guess and they might not get supplied in the future
I don't even think that has anything to do with it either. It's not like other retailers were immune to it. The fact is it's a byproduct of European laws requiring people to be able to cancel/change their mind. As long as that's a thing, early beta codes are always going to be an abusable system.

Feb 24, 2018
So has it been confirmed they won't retroactively charge you for past orders before release?

Very odd policy change, were that many people exploiting Beta codes (which I've never understood as a pre-order bonus)? Does this apply to other things like collectables (aka things that actually would be rare like Diamond Select Figures), movies, etc?

Though from what I understand, that proposed bill in the US also would mean pre-order bonuses would be a no no so if that did go through, it might make pre-ordering games besides very rare physical collector's editions pointless.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So has it been confirmed they won't retroactively charge you for past orders before release?

Very odd policy change, were that many people exploiting Beta codes (which I've never understood as a pre-order bonus)? Does this apply to other things like collectables (aka things that actually would be rare like Diamond Select Figures), movies, etc?

Though from what I understand, that proposed bill in the US also would mean pre-order bonuses would be a no no so if that did go through, it might make pre-ordering games besides very rare physical collector's editions pointless.
I've seen people mention the issue regarding bluray releases. It's definitely not just games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Never understood pre-ordering anything more than 2 or 3 days in advance
I dunno, I preordered the Xbox elite controller back in June of 2015 and it didn't come out until late-October that year. I was glad I did too, because I remember these things being hard to find for a while at release.

The only thing I have preordered game-related now is the Genesis mini, and the rest is books and blurays that there's not way I wouldn't buy. I'll actually pay for them the payday before they release with gift card credit.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
So when i preorder my ps5 next year + some games they want me to pay 700-1000€ upfront and wait 6-12 months till they dispatch.....cool

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Whilst I agree with you in general there is the odd exception I want to pre-order. e.g. The Last of Us 2 - I have faith it will be incredible, so I have pre-ordered it.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I can't afford to pay upfront for a PS5 I have to save up but can pre order and put the money on my card like 1-2 weeks before launch

Amazon why :(

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I prefer to pay for bigger preorders like consoles straight away. The money is gone and I don't have to hold on to it for months before the shipment. Game preorders I couldn't care less about as I'm digital but when I used to preorder on amazon, it always annoyed me that they didn't charge straight away.

If you preorder then it means you want it. If you change your mind then amazon has a simple cancel/ refund process. No big deal.

It's a bigger issue for me when people hoard preorders for items on several websites because they don't get charged, just to make sure they get one somewhere day one, only to cancel the others and cause problems for others to preorder because allocated stock is gone.

I'm all up for the change, not just for games but all items, if it stops people from hoarding preorders.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
This has nothing to do with beta code access, it applies to everything and doesn't stop the beta code exploit.

So why are some people trying to twist this narrative to justify Amazon's practices.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to pay for bigger preorders like consoles straight away. The money is gone and I don't have to hold on to it for months before the shipment. Game preorders I couldn't care less about as I'm digital but when I used to preorder on amazon, it always annoyed me that they didn't charge straight away.

If you preorder then it means you want it. If you change your mind then amazon has a simple cancel/ refund process. No big deal.

It's a bigger issue for me when people hoard preorders for items on several websites because they don't get charged, just to make sure they get one somewhere day one, only to cancel the others and cause problems for others to preorder because allocated stock is gone.

I'm all up for the change, not just for games but all items, if it stops people from hoarding preorders.
First of all, you can already pay off an order if you wish on Amazon. There was nothing to stop you from buying the right amount in gift cards and using it on the order. Could they have made that process a tad easier? Sure, but I don't think we should be saying that everyone should have to pay up front.

As for hoarding, I mean there's other solutions to that problem. Like having strict 1 per person order limits which guarantees you get one.

The reason why people have to pre-order everywhere for LE's is because far too many sites oversell them and you end up getting left a day before release with nothing to show for it. Having backup orders is the only way to guarantee you get one due to this practice.

You're basically advocating shitty practices because other shitty practices necessitate them lol.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico

I usually pre-order if there's a nice bonus, a nice discount, or if there's some limited edition that will be impossible to get later (like the Persona games), but yes, with major game duds and now this crap that Amazon is pulling I can only see pre-orders going down in a large number.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
This is shit. I always preorder games I have any slight interest in so that when the price drops I get the cheapest it's been and if I'm not interested in it nearer the time I cancel

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
If this comes to the US I'm basically out. I preorder things not for free codes, but as a gage to identify what I'll be buying in the coming months. I can see what I'll owe and if I have to cancel anything.