• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 3, 2018
I prefer it this way and to be honest, pre-ordering to receive the code and then cancelling the order (abusing the admittedly stupid practice) was always going to fuck it up.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dumb change considering I've pre ordered numerous items from Amazon that never got fulfilled. You can't tell me something is sold out if it was pre ordered months in advance

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining of this policy is that long ahead preorders of limited editions were often at risk due to credit cards being changed/replaced in the time period between order and dispatch. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a limited edition preorder endangered due to a credit card change in the interim.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My prime ends on june 1st, I'm not renewing now thanks to seeing this. I'm sure this crap will come to Canada at some point so might as well just get rid of it now.

The silver lining of this policy is that long ahead preorders of limited editions were often at risk due to credit cards being changed/replaced in the time period between order and dispatch. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a limited edition preorder endangered due to a credit card change in the interim.
It's super easy to update your credit card info. First thing I always do when a card is expired or replaced is update all my recurring billing things and any open amazon orders. One thing amazon is really good at it letting you do that where as walmart and bestbuy are horrible about it.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Yup, my pre-orders go right back to Best Buy if they bring this over.

Um, you realize Best Buy does this as well?

Best Buy said:
An authorization hold will be placed on your credit or debit card when you place an order. Your account will not actually be billed until your order is shipped or picked up at the store.

If there's a problem authorizing your credit or debit card, we'll email you right away. Keep an eye on your spam folder, in case our emails end up there. If you don't take action to fix the problem within 24 hours, we'll cancel the order.

Best Buy places an authorization hold on your card when you place an order, and places random holds up until release. if at any point before the item releases, your card fails the authorization check, the order will be cancelled. The result is the same, you need to have the funds on your card. Best Buy pre-orders aren't free.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I sent them an email to complain and they say they're reviewing this problem. Might be worth shooting them an email to complain.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks with the number of betas hidden behind pre-orders. I only buy my games off of PSN, but I would pre-order for a beta code.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Um, you realize Best Buy does this as well?
Best Buy, at least in the US, though does not actually charge until an item ships. The authorization goes away in a few weeks and is never a real charge that actually shows up on your bill.

What I read earlier in the thread made it sound like this was a real charge well in advance of actually shipping the pre-order, not just an authorization?

Last edited:

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the Amazon CC not an option? I get 5% Amazon credit while using it. There's no reason not to use it

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this sucks big time for me, since I make 100% of my physical gaming purchases on Amazon, and my credit card is in a different currency so my bank charges a 3% currency conversion fee for any transaction (including refunds)... So now if I make a pre-order then later decide to cancel it, I'm going to lose 6% of the order value in fees... Yikes, this is going to make me much less likely to preorder anything unless I'm 100% sure I'm keeping it.

Why can't we keep having nice things?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
If this comes to the States and such, I'm sure this will cause more people (myself included) to wait longer and think about pre--ordering. But I can see this sucking for others trying to get beta codes.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
This would be really awful for me if it hits the US. I'm on a fixed income and I plan around being charged when a game is out.

I'll just straight up stop using Amazon and go back to pre-ordering from GameStop where I only have to put $5 down in person if this goes away.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Man. If this comes to the US side (and Japan), I'm going to be out like $300 like that for Mario, Doom, Borderlands, Catherine and Persona 5 Royale. I'd cancel them all probably instantly if I still can.

Such an awful change.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a real reason as they could just do it for specific items like CE's etc if they wanted to.

Damn that's a terrible change. Zero reason to pre-order anything now. It will save me some headache though as I often pre order and either forget about it completely or can't decide and just keep it. There will be zero chance I pre order the Rage 2 type games as I have in the past. This will have a sizable negative effect on Amazon game sales imo.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only reason I'd order there instead of elsewhere (barring price errors, etc), if this hits the US I'll literally have zero reason to ever use Amazon anymore lol

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Literally the only reason I'd order there instead of elsewhere (barring price errors, etc), if this hits the US I'll literally have zero reason to ever use Amazon anymore lol
Yeah. The best part about it is pre-ordering a console and paying it off with gift cards, birthday money etc.

Paying for something before it releases has always been a stupid idea IMO. You shouldn't be charged for anything until it comes out.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it still be possible to abuse pre orders to get early beta access? Surely you can cancel it and then they have to refund you

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The best part about it is pre-ordering a console and paying it off with gift cards, birthday money etc.

Paying for something before it releases has always been a stupid idea IMO. You shouldn't be charged for anything until it comes out.
Yup. Or in my case, just putting up backup pre-orders alongside other outlets that I can cancel a week or so out.

Mind you, I'm alright with authorization charges. If that's what this is, then I'd be okay (but still stick with Best Buy at that's point because... what is there to gain?). But if it's actually paying, then yeah. Nope.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hopefully this helps reduce scalper idiocy.

If people have to lay out cash to hold a preorder, they're less likely to reserve everything in an attempt to flip before release.

Deleted member 3894

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A better way to avoid people abusing pre orders and scalpers is what Amazon Japan does, "this pre order cannot be cancelled", or GAME charging a small amount for the pre order. I'm not going to pay for something months in advance, goodbye Amazon.

Last edited:

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you get a refund if you cancel right? It's annoying but not like you can't get your money back.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Honestly I would prefer it this way.
Because sometimes when I have some expendable cash and I want to preorder a game or something on amazon I don't want to constantly buy a giftcard for the exact amount so that they can charge it when it ships. Because I just want to one click order it with my usual debit card and forget it. Because I never know when I will be in a bind later and would need the cash down the line, so I would rather they charge me then when I actually have the money available for it.
Its very stupid of someone to order something when they can't actually afford it at the time and hope they have the money when the time comes. Which I assume is what some people do.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer this

I know I'm going to buy it, would prefer to put the funds in immediately instead of worrying about the charge down the line.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Makes no difference to me.

I have a bunch of things preordered now only because they were grandfathered into the 20% discount but I don't see the point of preordering so far in advance unless you are after collectors editions... in which case, they should charge people to keep scalping to a minimum.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I really miss ~2010-era Amazon. .99 release day shipping, 20% off pre-orders/new releases with no Prime requirement, and as good as their customer service in the US is now, it was 10x better back then. I understand why they really couldn't keep that going for the long term, but I still miss it.

Oh well, no more pre-ordering anything on Amazon for me anymore.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with this is that Ultimate Alliance 3 is £59.99 at the moment. Come launch, that'll drop about £20 (Fire Emblem/Mario Maker 2 price), so they'll refund that money after they dispatch the game as per their policy. But they've had my extra £20 sitting in their bank account working for them until release.
I'll probably only pre-order from them going forward when the price is very cheap.

I don't think it would help with that as they'll still have to refund you if you cancel your order prior to release.

I'm not really sure what the point of this change is...
You're gonna need 50 quid in the bank to get these codes and betas, before you could have a fiver in savings and still score the bonuses and cancel.

Last edited:

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna need 50 quid in the bank to get these codes and betas, before you could have a fiver in savings and still score the bonuses and cancel.
Nah, cos they charge five days after you order. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware they usually sent the codes within 48 hours after ordering. Consequently this does nothing to stop people abusing that system lol. They'd charge straight away, not in five days, if they were trying to tackle that.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't publishers have a major problem with this? You'd think this would have to have a sizeable impact on preorder numbers.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
This is good news I guess. Why would anyone be against this

Let's say that a bunch of items go up for pre-order at the same time, but their releases are spread out. Before you could order them all but would only have to pay when they each shipped, now you need to pony up the cash all at once.

Even if you're not ordering multiple items, if pre-orders suddenly open for something limited, you need to have the cash now rather than planning your spending in advance.

On what planet is this change good for consumers?

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
This won't really affect me at all, but I can see how it could for those that are low on funds or whatever and don't want to miss out on a limited item.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't publishers have a major problem with this? You'd think this would have to have a sizeable impact on preorder numbers.
Yeah, that's what I'd think too. I'd think they'd have a big problem with this messing with early preorder numbers and indications.

Hopefully it's not coming over.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
On what planet is this change good for consumers?

Forces scalpers to have to front the money for multiple orders.

For a regular person, you have 30 days grace period anyway on a credit card. Plus we know most people suck at money management, and this helps ensure people only buy stuff they can actually pay for.

Dec 12, 2017
Sounds like it's time for you guys to get credit cards. I'm pretty stunned that there's outrage over this.

This is likely to combat pre-order bonus abuse.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for Boogie or his content here
Some places don't do release day shipping if you don't pre order. If pre ordering is all it takes for me not to have to drive half an hour round trip and wait in line for a game after work, I'll choose pre ordering in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Bit fishy how Amazon, Simplygames and Shopto all changed their pre-order process so close together. Wouldn't be surprised with physical numbers being down that the main distributors want more precise and guaranteed numbers.

But speaking solely on Amazon, maybe an accountant looked at the books and saw that they had £xxx million on pre-orders that were more than 3 months out and thought why not take the cash upfront from now on and make a few quid from the interest.