• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the world hate Americans. No class, culture or respect. It was a very dickish move to do. You are not superior to the employee who made an honest mistake. This is classism at it finest. Suck it up and just eat there. No need to walk out. The employee was listening to you. You should have giving him a tip just for being understanding.
Why are so many people being understanding of the human failings of the person who didn't cover basic food hygiene rules, but not the customer who almost certainly also works their arse off for the money they were about to spend?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
As I said above, this consideration for being human works both ways. It's not fair to make excuses for the employee and not the customer, especially when what prompted this entire thing was basic food hygiene rules not being followed. That is a pretty huge thing in the food service industry.

OP got sighed at. There is no other course of action he could really take but what he did. He tries to be more "polite" and the server probably gets even more ruder than simply sighing.

And for people trying to devil's advocate the sigh as a "my bad" kinda self-frustration thing, it's still the server's fault for not communicating that, otherwise many, if not most people gonna assume he's sighing at them. So it's still fair play to walk out.

Not making excuses for the employee, he fucked up. You can be right and be a dick at the same time, I probably would have left as well but "forget it" in my experience is used almost exclusively to piss someone off.

I mean it depends how you frame it - but in this instance it's perfectly reasonable for it to be framed like this:

"I reacted quietly and firmly to a rude event and walked away. Was that rude of me?" Rudeness is contextualized by the situation - you can't simply extract each action and define it in isolation. It's not rude to laugh out loud at a comedy movie. But it is rude to laugh out loud at a war documentary.

He's not being rude if he's defending his principles. Petty, impatient, overreaction? Possibly, but based on his stated sequence of events - I don't think it would be rude at all to walk away from "somebody sighing rudely." In fact if the person was being a dick (I wasn't there and can't tell for sure) then it would be pathetic if you just sucked that up.

Maybe that's all academic since the conversation is about interprting his initial reaction to the poo-slime-glove-bread-fondling (I feel like this is a reasonable encapsulation... ;-) )

Sure context is important, I only brought that up because you mentioned ignoring the intent. Going purely off how it was described by OP, the "forget it" and walk off comes off as rude.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Is this a Millennial thing that you can't expect someone to not look like they hate their job when they're in customer service? I've worked plenty of minimum wage food service jobs. I worked my ass off in kitchen and smiled while serving the public. That's the job. If he can't do it without passive aggressive sighing, that's too bad.

Yep. Fuck that.

I'm 34. I said I had no horse in this race, and I feel if your in this situation it's absolutely your choice if you wish to reject the food.

What I take umbrage with is the "any goofball can do it" comment.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not making excuses for the employee, he fucked up. You can be right and be a dick at the same time, I probably would have left as well but "forget it" in my experience is used almost exclusively to piss someone off.
I get your point, but I also think "forgret it" is more than fair here. It's something the employee can learn from, their failure to follow basic rules and their sigh (regardless of their intent) caused it. As I said, I've been in the position of the employee and had to assess why the situation happened the way it did, and every time a person was rude to me because of my own rudeness or failure to follow the basics I understood their reaction completely.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're a complete asshole. I guarantee there was nothing on the new bread that was any order of magnitude higher than any other bacteria you consume daily. Then walking off shows you were being a petty asshole.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the world hate Americans. No class, culture or respect. It was a very dickish move to do. You are not superior to the employee who made an honest mistake. This is classism at it finest. Suck it up and just eat there. No need to walk out. The employee was listening to you. You should have giving him a tip just for being understanding.

What? Being understanding is not making any fuss about the sandwich having to be remade in the first place, presumably without a sigh. Receiving a sigh at a request that they start building the sandwich with fresh gloves, and not ones used to pick stuff up off the floor, warrants a "forget it" / I'll spare you the effort.

I'm not going to stand there and make someone go through the burden of replacing the bread.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really think you were really out of line. The only part I'm not sure about is the walking out part, don't think I would have done that. But at this point, you obviously didn't feel like spending the money there and that's perfectly fine (shrugs). You didn't get loud & verbally insult or berate him, just made some requests so your sandwich would be sanitary (he SHOULD have known better), and then walked away when you felt the service wasn't there, so that's all perfectly acceptable in my book

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You weren't asking for much, but I can almost gaurentee you took them sighing as them being annoyed when really, he probably just sighed to sigh. I do it all the time regardless of how I feel or a customer, so you assuming they had a problem with you asking and then walking out is the asshole part.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
After reading this thread, I think someone should make a sandwich store that rubs food on the floor before serving it. Billion dollar idea tbh

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, you don't even know where those gloves had been prior to your visit, most likely the picking up from the ground wasn't the worst thing that happened to those gloves that day.

That being said, yes you were kind of a dick about it.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I get your point, but I also think "forgret it" is more than fair here. It's something the employee can learn from, their failure to follow basic rules and their sigh (regardless of their intent) caused it. As I said, I've been in the position of the employee and had to assess why the situation happened the way it did, and every time a person was rude to me because of my own rudeness or failure to follow the basics I understood their reaction completely.
Like I said, I just don't believe reacting in kind is correct. It's a proportionate response, I don't think OP was overreacting at all, but that's just not how I was raised.

Honestly, I would have probably gone elsewhere as well.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
I probably would have left as well but "forget it" in my experience is used almost exclusively to piss someone off.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any other response though that isn't gonna piss off a dude more who is already sighing at you, save for just shutting up and completing the transaction, which is unfair to ask of the OP given he has every reason not to feel comfortable eating it--again, if the server is sucking this much at basic food handling protocol and isn't hiding it, best believe everything in the spread might've already been just as contaminated. Sighing on top of that? I might not even be mad at a silent turn around, leave, and slam the door behind me.

And I worked food retail in the past, and back then I woulda known I'd deserve that if I acted the same as the server.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Why are so many people being understanding of the human failings of the person who didn't cover basic food hygiene rules, but not the customer who almost certainly also works their arse off for the money they were about to spend?

Basic food hygiene? He changed his glove and it is not like the glove he had touched and rub the floor. The door handle to the entrance is more dirtier than that glove. In this instant the employee listened to each of the customers demand and the customer just because of a sigh decided that he won't eat there.

The customer who works his arse for his money can learn some humility. You don't have to be a douche just because you have some superiority complex. Op should go to Africa and humble himself.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I just don't believe reacting in kind is correct. It's a proportionate response, I don't think OP was overreacting at all, but that's just not how I was raised.

Honestly, I would have probably gone elsewhere as well.
Also to consider, you can say "forget it" in a non confrontational and overly rude way. And if someone is rude to you, a calm "forget it" as you walk away is not "in kind" imo.

I guess we all have different opinions on that though. It just seems a bit too stringent to me to call it rude.

Op should go to Africa and humble himself.
So you're trolling.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I worked in fast food for several years. You're supposed to change your gloves whenever you touch anything unsanitary - including food that's fallen on the floor.

At least, that's what all the employee handbooks and training material always says.

The reality is that restaurant owners are cheap fucks and they never order enough gloves. You're actively discouraged from changing your gloves often because if you do the store will run out. (Spoiler alert: the gloves still run out even when you're conservative with them).

This isn't OP's fault, of course. The system just sucks. I think OP's request was reasonable, although he probably could have been less of an ass about it.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
You weren't asking for much, but I can almost gaurentee you took them sighing as them being annoyed when really, he probably just sighed to sigh. I do it all the time regardless of how I feel or a customer, so you assuming they had a problem with you asking and then walking out is the asshole part.

I already mentioned it previously, but again: "And for people trying to devil's advocate the sigh as a "my bad" kinda self-frustration thing, it's still the server's fault for not communicating that, otherwise many, if not most people gonna assume he's sighing at them. So it's still fair play to walk out."

flook

Oct 28, 2017
The OP wrote that he said forget it and walked out. In this thread that has been interpreted as storming out, throwing a strop, taking a hissy fit amongst other accusations. What the fuck is wrong with some of you - he didn't overturn the magazine rack - he just left. Also what the server is paid is irrelevant - they are paid to do a job and in the catering industry that means doing it hygienically.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This really an eight page thread?

Most everyone has walked out of a store after getting frustrated, its nbd, for either you or the person working there.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So not only did he just drop a sandwich on the floor which he will be docked for and has to clean up while still serving customers, (doing the role of a cleaner, food prep and cashier for minimum pay), creating a workplace that is full of anxiety, but now here comes mister high and mighty with your sports cars and your mocktails and caviar demanding he use another piece of bread, which again he will be docked for, only to say "forget it" and walk out after creating a highly stressful situation for this sandwich worker.

Yes you are an asshole, im suprised you didnt kick him down and tell him only his fleas would mourn him

I've worked in a lot of fast food places... Never has one of them docked employee pay for dropping a sandwich... In fact, these types of losses were factored into the budget.

Is this satire? I think this might be satire.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
No, It's going to get people sick and the possibility of someone having food allergy eating particles off of gloves if there aren't changed frequently.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess he was going to change your bread, walking out was not nice, is like walking out in the middle of a conversation.

Oct 30, 2017
Actually - I've thought about it some more
At the point of walking out
There's no way you can say I've changed my mind about purchasing food from this establishment because I don't believe your food hygiene standards are up to scratch and I can't be arsed with this in a 'good manner'

I've gone to totally fair response

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Also to consider, you can say "forget it" in a non confrontational and overly rude way. And if someone is rude to you, a calm "forget it" as you walk away is not "in kind" imo.

I guess we all have different opinions on that though. It just seems a bit too stringent to me to call it rude.

So you're trolling.

No, op is being an elitist. He doesn't wipe his arse with a $100 bill, but the way he acted seems like he does. Walking out is disrespectful and he should learn some manners. The employee did everything he asked, but just because the op felt like he was hesitant to do so, he decided to leave. That is the textbook definition of being a douchebag.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm having a hard time thinking of any other response though that isn't gonna piss off a dude more who is already sighing at you, save for just shutting up and completing the transaction, which is unfair to ask of the OP given he has every reason not to feel comfortable eating it--again, if the server is sucking this much at basic food handling protocol and isn't hiding it, best believe everything in the spread might've already been just as contaminated. Sighing on top of that? I might not even be mad at a silent turn around, leave, and slam the door behind me.

And I worked food retail in the past, and back then I woulda known I'd deserve that if I acted the same as the server.

Probably a dialect thing, I'm from northwest England but I don't use it or hear it used much outside of being rude and dismissive. There are situations where it can be sure, and it will mean something different depending on where you're from, but to me it does come off as rude

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
No, op is being an elitist. He doesn't wipe his arse with a $100 bill, but the way he acted seems like he does. Walking out is disrespectful and he should learn some manners. The employee did everything he asked, but just because the op felt like he was hesitant to do so, he decided to leave. That is the textbook definition of being a douchebag.

Intent kind of matters. It's clear OP left mainly because they're socially awkward rather than trying to be a prick.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dialect thing, I'm from northwest England but I don't use it or hear it used much outside of being rude and dismissive. There are situations where it can be sure, and it will mean something different depending on where you're from, but to me it does come off as rude
Fair enough, and I'm not knocking you for making the consideration to be kinder to people, that's a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You're good OP. If anything, the employee sighing for having to replace a contaimated sandwhich and putting you in an uncomfortable spot is the a-holeish move.
This. What the fuck is going on in this thread. Sounds like the employee didn't want to be bothered so fuck it peace my dude.

Sanitary food at minimum is non-negotiable. Imagine thinking otherwise. 🤔

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
The employee did everything he asked,

That's the problem; the employee shouldn't have had to be asked. I worked food retail and they drum this--basic food handling protocol--in to you from the beginning. But if you gotta be asked anyway, then respond by sighing? That is the textbook definition of being not fit for the job and deserving of a walkout.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Intent kind of matters. It's clear OP left mainly because they're socially awkward rather than trying to be a prick.

You can't twist this into being social awkward. It is like saying someone who says racist thing doesn't have the right education or is mentally inept. As a black African American who ancestors where bought to America through slave ship, I understand when intent matters. Intent matters when white people move away from your train seat after you sat down, or when having an ordinary conversation and then an Asian or white person runs because they taught you were going to rob them. These are where intent matters. Not when a privilege guy gets what he wants and then just because of a sigh that was misdirected, decided to leave.

That's the problem; the employee shouldn't have had to be asked. I worked food retail and they drum this--basic food handling protocol--in to you from the beginning. But if you gotta be asked anyway, then respond by sighing? That is the textbook definition of being not fit for the job and deserving of a walkout.

The sigh could be a sign of fatigue of doing the work again. It is not deserving of walking out. The op has probably already put me on his ignore list, but I m the only one in this thread that will tell him the truth and why the world is not his oyster.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018

OP, did they sigh at you or the mess they just created? Important distinction.

Mar 3, 2019
As someone who worked fast food and at a restaurant, just because you make minimum wage doesn't mean you don't have to do your job. I would have walked out as well watching someone brazenly work unsanitarily, and then be passive aggressive with their customer service. If he can't do the job, someone else will.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
OP, did they sigh at you or the mess they just created? Important distinction.

Doesn't matter though. As I've said more than once: "And for people trying to devil's advocate the sigh as a "my bad" kinda self-frustration thing, it's still the server's fault for not communicating that, otherwise many, if not most people gonna assume he's sighing at them. So it's still fair play to walk out."

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Doesn't matter though. As I've said more than once: "And for people trying to devil's advocate the sigh as a "my bad" kinda self-frustration thing, it's still the server's fault for not communicating that, otherwise many, if not most people gonna assume he's sighing at them. So it's still fair play to walk out."

wow, no chill

OP doesn't make it seem like there's much time between the request for new bread, the sigh and leaving so clearly the server was at fault for not being a better human being.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is wild. apparently after witnessing multiple hygiene violations and receiving attitude from an employee leaving makes you a bad person.

well, the employee didn't do something they didn't want to do, still has a job they probably shouldn't have, and op got his subway down the block. win win for everyone.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's seems like some bullshit rules, but I guess if people know that going in I can't really argue.

But, where's the line between stubble and beard? Are there pictures? Does someone get a ruler out and measure? Seems so arbitrary

To quote "designer stubble" and a "5 o clock shadow" were not allowed and what this is will be judged by someone with the rank of sergeant and above, that's what we were told during training for a volunteer role.

So do you have to already have a beard when you join, if you want to have a beard?

Yes but the the sergeant joked that if you get injured in the job and you are put out of work for a while then that's your chance.

I actually found a link just to prove I am not making this up, this applies for the UK forces.

He laid down the law to his 8,000 officers yesterday, warning that they will be disciplined if they turn up for duty with a five o'clock shadow.

The Chief Constable of Greater Manchester stepped in after members of the public questioned why an increasing number of his men were sporting the fashionable whiskery appearance.

He has outlawed the look although "well-trimmed" beards and moustaches are acceptable.

Mr Fahy, 50, said: "We expect our officers to maintain high standards of dress and professional appearance.

"Facial hair is meant to be tidy and I agree that stubble is fine for socialising but a shave is required before coming on duty."

Anyway, not wanting to derail the topic, the reason I bought this up because it's probably the same line of thinking the OP had with the sandwich maker, the sigh itself isn't bad but it indicates that there may be larger issues such as a lazy attitude. It's a warning sign and I guess in whatever company we work at, when you do the job interview for example, little details like this are analysed. It's why you still wear a suit (maybe) to a job interview even if your day to day work is in casual clothing.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You can't twist this into being social awkward. It is like saying someone who says racist thing doesn't have the right education or is mentally inept. As a black African American who ancestors where bought to America through slave ship, I understand when intent matters. Intent matters when white people move away from your train seat after you sat down, or when having an ordinary conversation and then an Asian or white person runs because they taught you were going to rob them. These are where intent matters. Not when a privilege guy gets what he wants and then just because of a sigh that was misdirected, decided to leave.

The sigh could be a sign of fatigue of doing the work again. It is not deserving of walking out. The op has probably already put me on his ignore list, but I m the only one in this thread that will tell him the truth and why the world is not his oyster.

This is a bit farfetched. Black and rican and I've worked in technical support, so I've dealt with plenty of abusive customers. Sighing because someone asks you to change gloves is some shit I'd call the guy out for personally. He's lucky OP just left and why should he stay when the guys acting like he's being a huge pain in the ass? I don't stick around either to give my cash to places like that either. OP wasn't in the wrong to ask him to switch gloves and bread and as he didn't even hassle the guy, I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
To quote "designer stubble" and a "5 o clock shadow" were not allowed and what this is will be judged by someone with the rank of sergeant and above, that's what we were told during training for a volunteer role.

Yes but the the sergeant joked that if you get injured in the job and you are put out of work for a while then that's your chance.

I actually found a link just to prove I am not making this up, this applies for the UK forces.

Anyway, not wanting to derail the topic, the reason I bought this up because it's probably the same line of thinking the OP had with the sandwich maker, the sigh itself isn't bad but it indicates that there may be larger issues such as a lazy attitude.
Thanks for the info, it certainly bristles my general anti-authoritarian sensibilities but it's a clear policy which is established. I can't disagree that bad customer service/hygeine is a red flag that could highlight issues that are unseen as well

Oct 25, 2017
You weren't at all in the wrong OP, ignore the weirdos on here. It's not as if you berated the worker or anything, now that would have made you an arsehole, all you did was expect basic hygiene standards to be met and he obviously couldn't be arsed about that 🤷🏽‍♂️

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the walking out is over the top.

I'd sigh too, mainly just because of throwing away so much food and it's my fault for not thinking about the gloves.

Nov 17, 2017
Yep, agreed. Employees expect to have requests made out of them. Storming out of the building because they dropped an ingredient is over the top.
Gotta love that people keep tagging on and subbing in these exaggerated words and phrases to make OP's demeanor more in line with their assessment that they were rude.

How did OP "storm out" exactly? He basically just said nevermind and left normally. You want to add that OP pulled the register off the counter and flipped a table before kicking the door to leave? If you want to say OP was wrong to leave then say that, no need to exaggerate the events.

As opposed to you twisting this into being comparable to acts of racism. Right... Look, I'm also African American and what you're saying is absolutely ridiculous and honestly downplays how bad racism actually is. If you've experienced racism like you claim, you should know this is nothing like that. Not even close. The employee at the sandwich shop is completely at fault for his own mistakes and OP leaving is directly in response to bad service. Some white family moving away from you because you're black is not your fault, it's their inherent discomfort and hate of black people.

I notice people reducing this to OP deciding to leave because the guy simply sighed. Sure, if you remove all other context and leave it at that, it does make OP seem like an unreasonable jerk. But in reality, OP left because of everything leading up to and including the sigh. I also don't know why people are trying to make this some classism argument. You think the guy at the sandwich shop can't also afford to buy a hoagie?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Oh give me a break with this hot take. No where did the OP imply they were "better than" the employee. And it ain't got shit to do with classism. When my ass was well under the poverty line and I got something to eat I made damn sure dude washed their hands and wore gloves after I ordered.

Gotta love that people keep tagging on and subbing in these exaggerated words and phrases to make OP's demeanor more in line with their assessment that they were rude.

How did OP "storm out" exactly? He basically just said nevermind and left normally. You want to add that OP pulled the register off the counter and flipped a table before kicking the door to leave? If you want to say OP was wrong to leave then say that, no need to exaggerate the events.

As opposed to you twisting this into being comparable to acts of racism. Right... Look, I'm also African American and what you're saying is absolutely ridiculous and honestly downplays how bad racism actually is. If you've experienced racism like you claim, you should know this is nothing like that. Not even close. The employee at the sandwich shop is completely at fault for his own mistakes and OP leaving is directly in response to bad service. Some white family moving away from you because you're black is not your fault, it's their inherent discomfort and hate of black people.

I notice people reducing this to OP deciding to leave because the guy simply sighed. Sure, if you remove all other context and leave it at that, it does make OP seem like an unreasonable jerk. But in reality, OP left because of everything leading up to and including the sigh. I also don't know why people are trying to make this some classism argument. You think the guy at the sandwich shop can't also afford to buy a hoagie?

Pretty damn on point. It wasn't the "sigh" per se. If dude sighed after the food fell then that's understandable. But sighing at the request for clean food shows hesitation/reluctance. If someone is reluctant to serve me clean food I kinda don't want to eat there. I'll cancel my order and move on. Just like OP did.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that at all, I think he was trying to be a prick because that's basically the intent of walking out. everything else he asked was reasonable but the walking out isn't.

How the op worded it is where I am getting he was unreasonable with how he left.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have done the same thing if I saw that, fuck the haters. That being said I'm sure far worse things happen regularly in restaurants/fast food where you don't get to see the food prep. Ignorance is bliss and all.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Very much missing the point.

It's not like it was a personal favor.

The employee exhibited attitude at being asked, and he should not have had to have been asked in the first place. It's not "for you" it's for all customers, it's for sanitary practices at a damned restaurant, it's for ServSafe standards.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that at all, I think he was trying to be a prick because that's basically the intent of walking out. everything else he asked was reasonable but the walking out isn't.

I don't think it's really anyone's call to make. OP said why he walked out and y'all are basically telling him that's not the case and he's a prick. It's bullshit. Some people really don't care for confrontation and would rather walk out at that point.

If the guy sighed at me, we would have had words and I still would have left. Only difference is I wouldn't care what anyone else thought about it.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
No, why should you pay and eat something that is clearly not sanitary? I would have done the same.

I understand the person is minimum wage, but they should know better.

This. Speaking as a guy who worked fast casual for 10 years, I understand fucking up, but you are well within your rights to expect better. That said, again speaking from experience, it sounds like the guy had a comedy of errors at that moment and was probably sighing at having a cascade of screw ups, not at the OP, and it's kinda assholish to walk out just because the worker was frustrated.