• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I was at a sub place recently and after toasting my sub when he went to get it out he dropped the whole thing on the floor and when hitting the floor it came apart and stuff went all over the place, they picked the sub and stuff up (with their gloves) threw it away and then turned around and started to make a new one and got bread out (with the same gloves they just picked up everything with off the floor). I said "Could you please change your gloves?" and he was like "oh yeah probably should." and then I asked if he could get new bread out (since he touched it with the gloves he had on before) at this moment he let out a noticeable "sigh" and I just said "forget it" and walked out and went to another one (just a few blocks away so not far).

Was I an asshole for asking for that? What would you have done in that situation?

edit for clarification-

The dude didn't simply pick up a sandwich off the floor from the top, when it hit the floor the contents spilled out and he picked it all up off the floor and threw it away, so yes his gloves and things came in contact with the floor, if it was just bread he picked up and that was that I wouldn't have cared but he literally scooped up the things that fell out with one hand and dropped it in the other hand that was holding the bread that fell and then threw it all away and came back to grab the new bread without changing his gloves, that is what made me ask him to change gloves/get new bread.

I didn't walk out "dramatically" or make a scene, I said (after he sighed when I asked for new bread) "that's ok forget it" (in a normal voice, not yelling at him or anything) and just walked out, there was no storming out or berating him, I didn't slam the door or flip any tables or anything dramatic.

The store was empty except for he and I, there was no other customers or workers, it was just us.

Last edited:

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
No, why should you pay and eat something that is clearly not sanitary? I would have done the same.

I understand the person is minimum wage, but they should know better.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you could easily get sick eating something like that. Don't listen to the pushovers in this thread.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
he should have changed his gloves. as someone that used to work in fast food.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol bro you were about to put process garbage Subway into your body yet walked out over something petty as hell

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, it's your money, my dude. If you don't want to spend it on what you deemed unsanitary, then don't.

The last bit was a bit much. But, the initial request wasn't.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would have said no you're not ...until the part where you walked out with a attitude..

Shouldn't have done that, he was gonna get new bread with new gloves for you.. you should have just been a little patience :/

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
giphy.gif

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I would have said no you're not ...until the part where you walked out with a attitude..

Shouldn't have done that, he was gonna get new bread with new gloves for you.. you should have just been a little patience :/

He shouldn't have sighed out loud just because OP didn't want to eat dirty floor sandwich. I wouldn't have walked out, but I'd be a little irritated.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
You did good op, that guy shouldn't even be working with food as he doesn't understand basic food handling.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those situations where you're not in the wrong for wanting a certain thing, but how you handled the situation sucked.

You could have been more understanding when he sighed. He likely would have done as you requested if you just politely insisted. "Yeah, sorry to do this to you, man, but I just want to be careful." Those jobs are not fun and he was just letting off a bit of steam, so let him do his thing instead of making a big deal out of it and going somewhere else.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Asking for new bread? If you're that nervous about germs you should probably bake your own bread at home. A little bit of dirt ain't gonna kill ya.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see anything wrong at all. Don't listen to people saying you overreacted you know those threads about people never using soap.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could have pulled it off if you said it nicely enough . Throw in a so sorry to make you work more or something . Walk off yeah you come off bad . It's not like most service food industry ppl want to be dicks . It's taxing repetitive work for them so yeah if you're asking more just be nice . Imo this shit should be done by robots anyway

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Depending on how annoyed the employee seemed when you asked for new bread I would have walked out too.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't think you were wrong (till the bratty walk out) but for the love of God, don't watch any video showing how pre-packed sandwiches are made for gas stations and convenience stores etc. Your mind will be blown.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird. Like, what do you expect to contract? Ebola? AIDs? The flu? A tape worm? Like, I guarantee you he was more hygienic than you are at home.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yes my dude, you are the a-hole. Mistakes happen. Learn to be a human being and communicate nicely instead of showing ass and walking away.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
People like you are the worst. Treating service workers like shit and step all over them thinking you are better than them. God I hated every moment working as a Deli Clerk because people turn into monsters when they know they can get away with it.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Fellow germaphobe huh? I get it but I get that the door handle was more nasty than the gloves at that point.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People like you are the worst. Treating service workers like shit and step all over them thinking you are better than them. God I hated every moment working as a Deli Clerk because people turn into monsters when they know they can get away with it.

All they had to do is a simple function of their job. Next time you order food I assume it would be alright if the waiter dropped your shit all over the floor. No way you would complain and make their job harder, right? Fuck your money!

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I was with you until the walking out part. Sounds like he was willing to fix everything you asked? Yet you acted like a dick at the end. Even if you wanted to go eat elsewhere you could have said it differently than just "forget it".

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
can go both ways i guess. real talk though if you're that conscious about 'sanitation' i wouldn't order a cold cut from any restaurant (assuming sandwich wasn't getting toasted)

Last edited: