• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wife and I started it last week after hearing some suggestions and have basically watched nothing since (minus a quick dive into Indian Matchmaking). We have Hulu which has more of it (season 2-to current), but I'm not surprised Netflix bought season 6.. this one is NUTS! We are on episode 6x7 currently.

What an awesome show -- Survivorman the competition show effectively.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched pretty much every season now. Shout out to the cocky guys that usually put down their fellow competitors and then fall and hurt themselves and have to tap out.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I've watched pretty much every season now. Shout out to the cocky guys that usually put down their fellow competitors and then fall and hurt themselves and have to tap out.
I watched season six only so far, and that one guy was making fun of the 'wood nymph ' women and broke his leg day 3 lol. When all the women lasted 30+ days and two were pulled just cause they were too sick to go on.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Really glad they dropped the MEN schtick after season 1 lol. Vancouver island is way crazier than I thought. The part with all those bears in the trees was truly freaky.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched seasons 1-4 and some of season 5. Didn't really feel the need to continue. I felt like screaming at some of them at times lol. A lot of them only really seem to go on the show to just survive, they've had their years of training in bushcraft but don't plan for a subsistence lifestyle.

Might jump back into it when they get some competitors who actually thrive in these situations but each season feels like the same story so far.

Best ones are the ones who put down previous season competitors and then get scared off by the wildlife in the first 1-2 days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched seasons 1-4 and some of season 5. Didn't really feel the need to continue. I felt like screaming at some of them at times lol. A lot of them only really seem to go on the show to just survive, they've had their years of training in bushcraft but don't plan for a subsistence lifestyle.

Might jump back into it when they get some competitors who actually thrive in these situations but each season feels like the same story so far.

Best ones are the ones who put down previous season competitors and then get scared off by the wildlife in the first 1-2 days.

Season 6 and 7 have by far the best examples of contestants who are pretty damn good at what they are doing. One guy lives in Siberia for years herding reindeer and another guy lives in the middle of no where in Alaska. Both of those guys are good at big game hunting.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
This is my favorite TV show on at the moment by a MILE. It's riveting and raw, I love it! You get so see the inside of people's souls.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Just started watching on Netflix because of this thread.
Lol my man Tim talks shit on the trees then breaks his leg. Good television so far.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Bumping this because it's a great show and more people should watch it. Being in lockdown it's also interesting to see how the contestants deal with loneliness.

icPhPiN.jpg

So far I've only finished season 7 and
I felt defeated about the women not making it despite coming that far. Especially about Callie with her great personality and due to her being kind of robbed by frostbite.
Judging by this show catching rabbits is easy while ice fishing is very hard if you're not Kielyn. Although I'm guessing she lucked out on the spot.
I love how they fade in factoids about survival and was surprised to learn that fat was so important for sustenance, despite of abundance of protein.

Looking forward to watching season 6. Also hoping that season 8 was filmed despite covid and will be aired in the summer.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting watching the early seasons of the show after initially viewing the 7th when it hit Netflix. Not only the changes from season in how it's edited and presented, and gimmick seasons like the teams of two, but even how well the contestants do. In the first season most everyone drops out incredibly early on and I'm guessing they never return to Chile because how long it went.

Oct 27, 2017
So this show is basically like a competitive Survivorman? Or kind of like The Long Dark but a reality show? Probably should check it out

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up on this show early in the pandemic, and it is fascinating. I'm not usually into survival show, but this one really grabbed me. I think partly because of how crazy all the people are. Still irritated that I can't find Season 7 to stream anywhere.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Maybe ill check it out. I love survival shows.

Those in here who have never seen Survivorman should do so. Fantastic show. He gets dropped into remote locations and spends a week or so out there. No camera crew, nothing. He does all the filming.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this show is basically like a competitive Survivorman? Or kind of like The Long Dark but a reality show? Probably should check it out
Maybe ill check it out. I love survival shows.

Those in here who have never seen Survivorman should do so. Fantastic show. He gets dropped into remote locations and spends a week or so out there. No camera crew, nothing. He does all the filming.

Alone is basically Survivorman but they go for as long as they can handle. Its multiple people but they're separated far enough away that they never have any real chance of interacting. They can bring a small selection of tools, are loaded up with various pieces of camera equipment and then left in the wilderness to fend for themselves with a satellite phone to call if they get hurt or want to quit. That's basically it aside from changing locations from season to season and a twist here or there.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How do they guaranty for the peoples safety?
They confirm that the contestants have necessary and advanced survival skills, they do have regular medical checks, etc

But otherwise, they can't since it's the wild. One guy starved himself to the point of near-fatal malnutrition, one woman accidentally sliced her thumb tendon, someone fell on their hatchet, bears and wolves have approached shelters, and so on

Agraavan

Dec 20, 2019
Wow, this looks right up my alley, but it seems to not be available outside US Netflix. F***

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They confirm that the contestants have necessary and advanced survival skills, they do have regular medical checks, etc

But otherwise, they can't since it's the wild. One guy starved himself to the point of near-fatal malnutrition, one woman accidentally sliced her thumb tendon, someone fell on their hatchet, bears and wolves have approached shelters, and so on
how does this work legally?

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love this show. Thanks to this thread I watched seasons 6 and 7 and that was incredible. Are the other seasons as good? And what about season 8? I need more.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I fucking love this show. Thanks to this thread I watched seasons 6 and 7 and that was incredible. Are the other seasons as good? And what about season 8? I need more.

I finished season 1 today and just began watching season 2. S1 is not bad at all, but I personally dislike Vancouver Island as the location. It's not nearly as desolate as the Great Slave Lake area. Like at one point you can see a large cargo ship in the background. I also dislike the climate as it's basically a cold, permanently wet jungle.
Season 1 also only had white men, so it was kind of boring to watch at times. Although the winner is still quite interesting and entertaining.
The survival aspect is definitely different. People struggle way more with predators than with finding food. So I feel like location rng is a bit more of a factor here.

S2 is still in the same place as s1, but the contestants are way more diverse. I feel a bit obsessed with the show so I'm binge watching it all now.
After that I might even start watching a Danish version of it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/kr9fbm/danish_alone_season_4_with_english_subtitles/

Most people in https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/kpencd/next_season/ believe that S8 has been filmed as planned.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Got bored enough and found out the earlier seasons were on discovery+

Season 1: Guy taps out night one cause a bear came and sniffed his tent.
Season 7: Guy kills a musk ox with a fucking knife.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Great show. One of the only reality shows I will willingly watch. I think the fact that the contestants have to film everything themselves was a brilliant move and really gives chunks of each season a real "found footage/blair witch" vibe, in addition to being a compelling survival show.

Also it's amazing how many people go on this show having really never yet come to terms with what it means to be alone and find comfort in your own company. They crack so fast.

Season 1: Guy taps out night one cause a bear came and sniffed his tent.

OMG the symbolism around this particular contestant was just *chef's kiss*.

He's a COP from Ohio, brings big cop energy in all his self-aggrandizement and how his experience as a cop gives him an edge blah blah blah

Guy doesn't even last ONE. FUCKING. NIGHT. because he feels threatened by a bear while in his tent, and doesn't have a gun to shoot it with. Just like... a perfect fucking distillation of American law enforcement.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Great show. One of the only reality shows I will willingly watch. I think the fact that the contestants have to film everything themselves was a brilliant move and really gives chunks of each season a real "found footage/blair witch" vibe, in addition to being a compelling survival show.

Also it's amazing how many people go on this show having really never yet come to terms with what it means to be alone and find comfort in your own company. They crack so fast.

He's a COP from Ohio, brings big cop energy in all his self-aggrandizement and how his experience as a cop gives him an edge blah blah blah

Guy doesn't even last ONE. FUCKING. NIGHT. because he feels threatened by a bear while in his tent, and doesn't have a gun to shoot it with. Just like... a perfect fucking distillation of American law enforcement.

Yeah it's usually the ones who put down the other contestants and talk up their skills that tap out early.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

"If someone sees me in a fight with a bear, you better help the bear"

Oh the beautiful irony

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds interesting. Which season is the best one? I don't think I have time to watch seven seasons of something. Or should I just start with the first?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Someone recommended this show to my wife, and she likes these sorts of shows. However...she loves bunnies. Insanely loves bunnies. There have been several moments where she has been covering her eyes.
the rabbit puppet made me laugh, she wanted to kill me and the guy that recommended this show

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Someone recommended this show to my wife, and she likes these sorts of shows. However...she loves bunnies. Insanely loves bunnies. There have been several moments where she has been covering her eyes.

My daughter loves squirrels so season 6 was rough. She
did laugh hard when the guy killed his squirrel friend, then cried about it the next day. The rabbit puppet was also amazing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The first season had nearly every person drop out at the very start. It was pretty funny watching them drop like flies over what was often rather minor stuff after just arriving.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds interesting. Which season is the best one? I don't think I have time to watch seven seasons of something. Or should I just start with the first?

I have only watched two seasons (S1 and S6) and started watching a third (S4, only two episodes in though). I would say watch S6.

Although, going from S6 to S1 caused S1 to feel "less impressive".