• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
One thing that drove me absolutely nuts was the misidentification of fish during the seasons on Vancouver Island. Not by the contestants, but by the show's "did you know?" information bubbles that would pop up throughout an episode. I live in Northern California and shoreline the same species and so it absolutely tickled my partner how riled up I would get when they'd identify something incorrectly šŸ˜‚

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I remember one fucker killed a moose and it backfired on him.

this show makes me so hungry.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Season 2 is a lot better than season 1.
After watching s1-2 and s6-7 I'd rank them 6>7>2>>1.
The contestants and editors reference pervious seasons and winners, so watching out of order can spoil you.
Before going back to earlier seasons I began watching s5 and quickly turned it off after realizing that they brought back past (failed) contestants for that one.

Fun fact: A lot of the contestants have their own youtube channels. So far I've found Jordan's, Rolland's, Woniya's and Keilyn's. Some interesting stuff there as well.

On to seasons 3-5.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember one fucker killed a moose and it backfired on him.

this show makes me so hungry.
I wouldn't exactly say it backfired. According to his blog, on his last day he still had 200 lbs of moose meat, several smoked rabbits, 20 lbs of fish, and several cans of rendered fat. After the moose kidney fat got stolen, he figured out that lean meat wasn't enough to sustain him by itself, but he was way, way better positioned to win the game in terms of quantity and diversity of provisions than the other competitors were. All he needed to do was to supplement with fish, which he was able to do. But that moose meat was the caloric backstop that put him ahead.

I'd never considered the fact that constipation from overeating meat would be such a deadly concern in those conditions. But it makes sense. Seeing how people source and balance nutritional requirements was really interesting. Beyond calories generally, you really need fat, fiber, protein, salt, and vitamins to make it more than a couple of months.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I've started watching this, and what is clear immediately is how much better reality shows are without the shitty narrator. Imagine this show with the reality show tv narrator like on a FOX show and it would be ruined.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Season 6 a couple weeks ago and was blown away. I love that all of the guys who acted like macho assholes had their asses thoroughly kicked by the arctic.

Jordan and Woniya are both so unassuming and humble but such bad asses. They were my favorites through out the season, so I was really happy to see them make it so far. When Jordan talked about living in Siberia with the reindeer herders I knew he was going to get far, but killing a moose with a bow and arrow and then a wolverine with a hatchet was absolutely next level. Woniya was just so zen the entire time, and all the clothing and material she made from hides was super cool to see. All in all a great season!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I just started watching season 3 and now they added a shitty narrator. FFS.

does this continue through the whole show from here on out?

EDIT: narrator might have only been in the first episode. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I've been watching this for the last week. Season 1 and 3 were pretty interesting. Season 2 was fucking awful, with an absolutely terrible final 2, and an extremely unlikeable winner.

I gotta hand it to him for catching large crabs out there but ugggghhh, a Baptist fucking missionary. How fun to watch some white savior piece of shit win by lucking out on his location.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've been watching this for the last week. Season 1 and 3 were pretty interesting. Season 2 was fucking awful, with an absolutely terrible final 2, and an extremely unlikeable winner.

I gotta hand it to him for catching large crabs out there but ugggghhh, a Baptist fucking missionary. How fun to watch some white savior piece of shit win by lucking out on his location.

The locations in season 2 were garbage, I hope the next seasons fix that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was initially disappointed with the season involving 2 person teams. It starts with one person at the base camp area and another several miles away having to hike through some really brutal forest, mountains and extremely rough weather. They're all relatives or married couples and by the time they all find each other there are only a small handful of teams left. One is two brothers who just start to lose it and turn on each other. At first its little jabs and stupid arguments that end quickly but they don't even seem to realize they're doing it. Then it gets a lot worse as food becomes hard to come by and mistakes are made. Soon they're at each other throats. I would have figured two people could last longer while making for a less isolated and maddening situation but seeing these two guys cracking and turning on each other is really fascinating in a morbid way.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the last winner is originally from my area. He was in the area a couple weeks back. Someone I work with had a chance to chat with him at a bar.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
given the crazy shit that went down in the last few seasons, I'm fully expecting a grizzly bear knife fight

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll air on History first.
ITV America is apparently a production company.
Thanks! I got into this show because of this thread ā€” I doubt I ever would have noticed it otherwise. I don't think I've even watched a reality show since like a single season of Survivor, either. Looking forward to the new season.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I watched most of the season on Vancouver Island. I lived 8 years there so was familiar with how rugged and difficult that type of rainforest can be. Camping and hiking in that dense and soggy forest is a challenge.

The show is cool. I was surprised with the mental toll it took on them. Being "alone" really did make them nuts. It didn't seem realistic to me because I think I could handle being alone for that length of time, and you keep busy just trying to survive. But I guess you don't really know how mentally tough it is until you are put in that situation.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched most of the season on Vancouver Island. I lived 8 years there so was familiar with how rugged and difficult that type of rainforest can be. Camping and hiking in that dense and soggy forest is a challenge.

The show is cool. I was surprised with the mental toll it took on them. Being "alone" really did make them nuts. It didn't seem realistic to me because I think I could handle being alone for that length of time, and you keep busy just trying to survive. But I guess you don't really know how mentally tough it is until you are put in that situation.

The physical toll also does a number on people. Even being mentally tough isn't always going to be enough when you're starving for several weeks straight in grueling conditions.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I just see a white page in mobile. What's it say?
It's a teaser for season 8:

I don't know about that. In December they only have around 8 hours of daylight, sometimes even less due to storms. Without any sort of meaningful distractions it can absolutely mess with you even if you're used to modern day solitude.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017

Contestants: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/n6art2/the_ten_season_8_contestants/

8M0rpiB.jpg

List of selected items: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/n846gw/alone_season_8_contestants_ten_chosen_items_lists/

73rVsu3.png

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the people that didn't choose ferro rod, knife and tarp are going to have a bad time considering how key those things have been in past episodes.

Unless you're godly with a bow stick, yeah I'd always take a ferro rod. Joe Robinet just up and quit when he lost his in one of the first seasons. Without it, you're constantly struggling.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the not choosing the tarp isn't super surprising, they all get 2 tarps to protect camera equipment thrown in, so usually people don't add the 3rd tarp.

From reddit:

All the contestants are issued camera equipment, a first aid kit, and storage containers to protect the cameras. The tarp is provided to cover the storage containers if the contestants decide to leave the large pelican type boxes outside of their shelters.

Most people just keep the camera equipment inside their shelters and use the included tarps as part of shelter construction.

But yeah generally not having a relatively easy way to make fire is devastating.

Guessing because this location is not in nearly as brutally cold and the wood quality is likely to be much better a couple people thought they could get away with it.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the not choosing the tarp isn't super surprising, they all get 2 tarps to protect camera equipment thrown in, so usually people don't add the 3rd tarp.

From reddit:

All the contestants are issued camera equipment, a first aid kit, and storage containers to protect the cameras. The tarp is provided to cover the storage containers if the contestants decide to leave the large pelican type boxes outside of their shelters.

Most people just keep the camera equipment inside their shelters and use the included tarps as part of shelter construction.

But yeah generally not having a relatively easy way to make fire is devastating.

Guessing because this location is not in nearly as brutally cold and the wood quality is likely to be much better a couple people thought they could get away with it.
Seems like a huge risk. It could absolutely get them to quit in a matter of days if they are unable to make fire consistently.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>water bottle

Just...a bottle?

That's such a waste.

Yeah if I had to guess Colter and Matt will be among the first go choosing the extra tarp and water bottle instead of easy fire access.

Eh scratch that Matt has rations so will probably be able to go for a while.

One thing I don't like about the show is they hide some of the contestants do have some food with them.

They also really need to crack down on contestants coming in with like 50+ lbs of extra body fat.

That's enough with rations to pretty much just stay in your shelter all the time and win.

I forget the season 5 guys winners name but yeah he came in at like at least 250lbs. He won largely from just being a lazy ass lol and not needlessly burning calories.

Given only four people chose rations I feel like they should actually nix that as an option. Too easy to pick rations and come in overweight and have a very good shot at winning by literally just laying in your tent all day.

That said, even if you are packing extra weight it's really not a lot of rations, and barely eating any calories even for a couple days sucks lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool mountain lion sighting.

But yeah Wyoming dude and Oregon dude are both massive and could just lay in their tents for 90 days.

Massive advantage having like 50-100lbs of body fat just sitting on you.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
These people are incredible but the show itself is boring as fuck. Survivor is superior in every way.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Season 7 finally hit Netflix. Can't wait to watch it.

Do the new episodes hit Discovery+ the next day?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread, giving season 7 a spin and so far it's right up my alley, only into episode 1 though.

Question regarding camera equipment, what do they do about batteries? Do they give them enough in that case to last 100 days or is production close enough that they just refil them with batteries when needed?

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread, giving season 7 a spin and so far it's right up my alley, only into episode 1 though.

Question regarding camera equipment, what do they do about batteries? Do they give them enough in that case to last 100 days or is production close enough that they just refil them with batteries when needed?

They do medical checks every couple weeks and pick up the footage and swap out batteries.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How does the show allow someone with such a major heart condition to participate? That seems like a major oversight

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the show allow someone with such a major heart condition to participate? That seems like a major oversight

Yeah I don't think that guy or the giant dude from Oregon should have been allowed on the show, both for health reasons and also just a huge body fat advantage.

The guy from Oregon even said he could win this by starving himself and losing 100lbs. Easier said than done of course and dealing with hunger sucks regardless of your weight, but it is a big advantage going in having that much extra weight.

That said yeah it could be a disadvantage as far as heart issues and such.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty cool mountain lion sighting.

But yeah Wyoming dude and Oregon dude are both massive and could just lay in their tents for 90 days.

Massive advantage having like 50-100lbs of body fat just sitting on you.
This post is the very definition of a harbinger lol

But yeah, having lots of body fat sounds great but your muscles and cardio have to do more to get them moving...hence, the events of last night

Also body fat doesn't help with nutrition...they'll find that out soon when their basic mental functions start failing