Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
The answer to your question kinda depends on what you're asking.
If you're asking whether 42" C2 is a better monitor than 48" C1 then the answer is yes, because the PPI of a 42" 4K display is almost the same as that of 27" 1440p one and its size is a lot more suited for a standard desktop usage.
If you're asking the same about a 48" C2 though then the differences between C1 and C2 are negligible and you could say that C1 is even better due to BFI support in 120Hz modes.
Thanks for this answer! That was actually informative. Sorry for my slight sarcasm in the post before.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Any owners have flickering issues? I've seen a lot of reports of vrr flicker. Delivery dates look like they're only a few weeks out now so I'm debating on jumping in.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Any owners have flickering issues? I've seen a lot of reports of vrr flicker. Delivery dates look like they're only a few weeks out now so I'm debating on jumping in.
It's definitely a problem, but you'll get the same problem with any of the current OLEDs as it's inherent to the technology. The gamma is set based on the max refresh rate, but the gamma can change at lower refresh rates, now this is fine if the frame pacing is okay because the change will happen gradual enough you wouldn't notice, but if the frame pacing is erratic and the scene is somewhat darker you do spot it since the gamma differences is more vast.

I've tried a lot of games on my QDOLED and I'd say 95% of games are perfectly fine and you'd only notice it in loading screens similar to VRR on other panels. However you do get the odd game where the frame pacing is a bit garbage and you notice the flicker, mainly at night.

A good example I found was Oblivion, while it's an old game it's got a kind of rubbish streaming in system for the open world. If you look at frame times and fps the game will just constantly drop down massively for a split second every so often while you run across the open world as it streams in the world. On my QDOLED every time the game did that during night time, you could see the gamma flicker because the monitor was syncing to that crappy load in fps drop and going straight back to the normal fps.

I also had to turn it off in WoW classic as well as seemingly hovering over anything in the UI seemed to cause a slight flicker, possibly for a similar reason that the game stutters for a sec while it's loading it in. The WoW engine hasn't really ever been known for being amazing either.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely a problem, but you'll get the same problem with any of the current OLEDs as it's inherent to the technology. The gamma is set based on the max refresh rate, but the gamma can change at lower refresh rates, now this is fine if the frame pacing is okay because the change will happen gradual enough you wouldn't notice, but if the frame pacing is erratic and the scene is somewhat darker you do spot it since the gamma differences is more vast.

I've tried a lot of games on my QDOLED and I'd say 95% of games are perfectly fine and you'd only notice it in loading screens similar to VRR on other panels. However you do get the odd game where the frame pacing is a bit garbage and you notice the flicker, mainly at night.

A good example I found was Oblivion, while it's an old game it's got a kind of rubbish streaming in system for the open world. If you look at frame times and fps the game will just constantly drop down massively for a split second every so often while you run across the open world as it streams in the world. On my QDOLED every time the game did that during night time, you could see the gamma flicker because the monitor was syncing to that crappy load in fps drop and going straight back to the normal fps.

I also had to turn it off in WoW classic as well as seemingly hovering over anything in the UI seemed to cause a slight flicker, possibly for a similar reason that the game stutters for a sec while it's loading it in. The WoW engine hasn't really ever been known for being amazing either.
Gotcha. I've noticed it only a few times on my C1 OLED , so if it's similarly rare it's a non issue for me.

How are you liking it otherwise? I'm tempted..... Just got my first ultrawide a month ago and it's been a game changer.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I've noticed it only a few times on my C1 OLED , so if it's similarly rare it's a non issue for me.

How are you liking it otherwise? I'm tempted..... Just got my first ultrawide a month ago and it's been a game changer.
Yeah, if you've not been bothered by it on your C1 then I doubt you'd be bothered by it on the AW either. Any flickering I've seen on the AW I can recreate on my CX TV as well.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with it. Makes games look fantastic even when they're not in HDR due to the great contrast and pixel response time. The only slight niggle for some is the text clarity - though personally after using bettercleartypetuner I've not been bothered by it and that's despite using it for programming when I work from home.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I've noticed it yet with my use of the monitor, though the only time I've ever noticed VRR flicker on an OLED display is when bringing up the Xbox menu during dark scenes in a game (on my LG CX)

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I have a question, maybe someone can help me here.
Somehow the picture is not full screen on the display. There is some small space at the bottom and at the right. I don't think it was there since day 1. I checked the display settings, tried a different input on the screen, made a factory reset. The spaces are still there. Does anyone have or had a similar thing experience?

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
I have a question, maybe someone can help me here.
Somehow the picture is not full screen on the display. There is some small space at the bottom and at the right. I don't think it was there since day 1. I checked the display settings, tried a different input on the screen, made a factory reset. The spaces are still there. Does anyone have or had a similar thing experience?
thats normal, its additional space for the Pixel shift feature so your image does not get cut off when it moves around

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
People who've had it for a few months now, thoughts?

Any burn in concerns? Hows it working day to day?

Thanks

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Yeah, if you've not been bothered by it on your C1 then I doubt you'd be bothered by it on the AW either. Any flickering I've seen on the AW I can recreate on my CX TV as well.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with it. Makes games look fantastic even when they're not in HDR due to the great contrast and pixel response time. The only slight niggle for some is the text clarity - though personally after using bettercleartypetuner I've not been bothered by it and that's despite using it for programming when I work from home.
Thanks for bettercleartypetuner. Gonna mess around with it sometime this week. I've been fine using it for work (programming like you), but I can tell a difference from my old IPS ultrasharp. Still fine for work--but if I can make it almost unnoticeable than even better.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's by definition early adopter tech and there is room for improvement, but it's still the best PC monitor on the market by a notable margin in my opinion. There are downsides to every piece of tech but here they're insignificant compared to the HDR and colour vibrancy the monitor provides. For the first time in a while I'm opting to play PC games at my desk rather than my LG C9 because QD OLED just looks better plus the higher refresh rate.

OLED is definitely the future of PC monitors.
Yup, I love my main OLED TV and it had kinda spoiled me, lol, so I kept feeling the FOMO at my desk in my other room, feeling like I was missing out on my insane OLED HDR picture quality, so finally having this has been great for easing my mind and just playing and watching HDR content in either room.

This picture quality, color performance, HDR with oled blacks, plus high refresh on this is amazing. And both of the first QD-OLED TVs also looks like they've scored incredibly highly, further showing how good of a panel this is for content even with just this first iteration.

Like you said yeah it's still a first model of new tech so it would have been nice if Alienware actually supported upgradeable firmware so any new settings options or interface improvements in future models could have been given to us too, but it's already a great screen so it's not really a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's realistic to expect burn-in on these latest generation OLED panels after a few months. Give it a couple of years.
Honestly, I don't really expect burn-in at all. I use the C1 as my main monitor, and the only safety nets I use is hiding the taskbar and using a screensaver after 5 mins of inactivity.

I genuinely think the new OLED panels are safe as long as you don't take the piss with them.

Was just curious what the owners of this monitor think. I'm still considering getting one, but after I get a 4080 😂

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Where at? I'm curious to see what happened.

World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I'd set it to 'Hide Taskbar' m8 just to be safe. Good shout. Personally I'm not too worried, got 3 year warranty. Chances are there will be something better out by then and the tech will have further improved too.

Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

ahhh ok ill def have to change that then thought that was the cause of the aggressive abl but its just the way this monitor is.

Those are the two I saw.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

I'd set it to 'Hide Taskbar' m8 just to be safe. Good shout. Personally I'm not too worried, got 3 year warranty. Chances are there will be something better out by then and the tech will have further improved too.

ahhh ok ill def have to change that then thought that was the cause of the aggressive abl but its just the way this monitor is.

Those are the two I saw.
Yellow is still a killer colour for QDOLEDs as well then?

I do wonder how 'safe' people are going to be with these QD monitors given everyone appears too approach them like panel degradation doesn't exist on them. There's one lad in that Hard thread talking about having his backlight at 60% for desktop usage 🥴 it must be blindingly bright.

Deleted member 18521

Oct 27, 2017

Those are the two I saw.
Ok cool thanks

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yellow is still a killer colour for QDOLEDs as well then?

I do wonder how 'safe' people are going to be with these QD monitors given everyone appears too approach them like panel degradation doesn't exist on them. There's one lad in that Hard thread talking about having his backlight at 60% for desktop usage 🥴 it must be blindingly bright.
Yeah the hard forum guy was running HDR all the time. Still a bit worrying considering people were thinking wear was going to be more even with the qdoled structure. That said Dell seems to be accepting warranty requests for it with no fuss.

I've been mostly careful with mine, hidden icons and task bar, wallpaper slideshow, black screen saver etc.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HDR with SDR content at 60 is crazy. His eyes should be watering 24/7.

I personally have it at 8, find the whites way too bright at anything above 10 in my usage case.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
HDR with SDR content at 60 is crazy. His eyes should be watering 24/7.

I personally have it at 8, find the whites way too bright at anything above 10 in my usage case.
I just enable HDR when I'm going to play or watch content that uses it. Don't like how HDR looks on desktop.

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else noticed an issue with theirs where in HDR they'll get strange green artifacts banding across the screen vertically?

In contact with Dell to try and get an RMA/refund sorted. Their customer care/help team have been far from helpful so far.

GeezyAF

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't realize there was a separate thread for this monitor. I had received mine last Friday and pretty happy with it.

Conf

Dec 4, 2021
I think I'm gonna cancel my order...
I'd want nothing more than to go away from the crap that is IPS/VA but my monitor is used 10+ hours a day, and far more on desktop than gaming/movies, so I don't like my chances with burn in (even if I'm being careful)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna cancel my order...
I'd want nothing more than to go away from the crap that is IPS/VA but my monitor is used 10+ hours a day, and far more on desktop than gaming/movies, so I don't like my chances with burn in (even if I'm being careful)
Depends how long you'd intend to use it. Most people are giving it a try even despite using it as much as that because they offer a 3 years warranty which covers burn in.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Picked one up this morning at Microcenter. So far, i think i've struck that panel lottery. Build date is July 2022 and the screen is clean, with no residue or scratches. Haven't heard the fan yet and i don't see any dead / bright pixels.

As for the panel itself, incredible. It can't be overstated how much shadow detail you recover with this panel. So much is lost with the gray blanks of an IPS panel. Anything bright doesn't really stand out from a good IPS, but everything feels much more detail because of how much better the darker end of the spectrum resolves.

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else noticed an issue with theirs where in HDR they'll get strange green artifacts banding across the screen vertically?

In contact with Dell to try and get an RMA/refund sorted. Their customer care/help team have been far from helpful so far.

Returned. Told me I'd be waiting two months. I've gone with the 42" C2 instead

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I am lucky to have a computer room to myself that I can customize how I see fit. If I were to mount the 42 inch C2 on the wall, what would be the ideal depth for a desk to put under it so that I am far enough away? I'd rather not put a gap between the desk and the wall, so I will simply get a custom desk of the correct depth.

SliChillax

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Got the monitor today and I'm extremely happy with it. One minor complaint that I have though it that for my taste the color temp is a bit too warm. Any way to change it to slightly cooler? I'm using standard mode.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
where's the 38 inch ver

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most speculators believe a 38inch widescreen OLED monitor is not on the horizon anytime soon, because it would actually need to be cut from scratch due to the different resolution it would utilize (vertical height changes). Rather than these smaller OLED screens which can just be adapted from the bigger ones as long as the resolution remains the same.

I hope I'm wrong though because I'd love a 38 inch widescreen monitor. I'd prefer it over the 42inch tv.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I've given up hope on a 38" OLED Ultrawide too.

I'm eyeing the new Asus 42" OLED now. With potentially running this in 38" Ultrawide resolution at times.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got a panel refresh today which means I've logged 1500+ hours on it with no noticeable image retention or burn in. So far so good.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on the fence should get this monitor. I love mine. Yes I have some complaints but the main benefits are so strong they outweigh any cons. HDR is insane on this thing when properly set up. 175hz motion resolution is insane. Pure black OLED contrast is insane.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to set up the best HDR in all titles using Special K.

Velox Cor

Banned
Apr 23, 2021
Anyone on the fence should get this monitor. I love mine. Yes I have some complaints but the main benefits are so strong they outweigh any cons. HDR is insane on this thing when properly set up. 175hz motion resolution is insane. Pure black OLED contrast is insane.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to set up the best HDR in all titles using Special K.

Yes, it's incredible and I too love mine to bits. I've been thinking about gifting one to a family member, but now that Samsung has announced the G85SB to come out before the end of the year I am thinking I'll just wait and see how that turns out.

From what I've read the Samsung could be more useful to some users with the addition of their "entertainment hub" that includes game streaming services as well as Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and all the other usual suspects.

news.samsung.com

Samsung Electronics Unveils Odyssey OLED G8 Gaming Monitor at IFA 2022

Odyssey OLED G8 delivers incredibly low 0.1ms response time for high-speed gameplay

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
I think i will set for a 42c2. Not being able to update the firmware on a monitor is a no-go. Especially on the Dell.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Don't regret my purchase. Playing through Halo Infinite in ultra wide + HDR was great.
Might still switch to the Samsung though depending on reviews.

GeezyAF

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Same here, guys. Not a perfect monitor, but I love mine. I use it for work and play, and have no complaints about the subpixel "issue."

G8 is an absolute no go for me with no VESA mounting option.

GeezyAF

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this one. I'm stuck between getting this one and this one. Which one would be better ? I primarily would use it for gaming

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this one. I'm stuck between getting this one and this one. Which one would be better ? I primarily would use it for gaming

If the main features you're after are super ultrawide and 240Hz then go with the G9 or Neo G9, otherwise the AW is going to be better for most other features. Actually I guess the G9 would have some advantages in a very well lit room but I personally much prefer having the blacks of the AW.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope there will be a super ultrawide monitor using QD-OLED next year (including a VESA-mount, so I can reuse my extra strong monitor arm and don't have to sacrifice a large part of my desk just for the monitor stand...) to replace my CRG9. I just don't want to go back to a regular ultrawide anymore. The versatility of this display for professional and personal use is just amazing.

rashbeep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

how does special k compare to autohdr in w11?