• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horn

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
All of you screaming "everything in moderation" and "everything gives you cancer"; You are both wrong. Some things does not - at all - increase the risk of getting cancer, and some things increase the risk even if you are moderate. You should visit http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/latest_classif.php where you can search for a specific agent. Coffee for example is in group 3 and read meat 2A.
Cancer.png

It's important to point out that the list says nothing about the actual increased risk, only cause. Both proccessed meat and plutonium are in group 1 but of course you should always choose a piece of bacon vs a trip to chernobyl.

Well, the thing is, they have no fucking clue what causes cancer... because they can say things can lead to a greater risk, there's typically no single thing.

Because no singular thing actually "causes" cancer.. your fucking body does it to itself.

Never post again.

Oct 25, 2017
IARC doesn't mean shit. It might just be prop 65 in California levels of risk and harm.

They made coffee as a carcinogenic for years. You just can't make up stuff like that without several meta analysis.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Even if I avoid alcohol and eat fruits and vegetables, the farmers that produce them die ftom cancer too due to pesticides

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I avoid alcohol and eat fruits and vegetables, the farmers that produce them die ftom cancer too due to pesticides
Depends on the pesticide. Stuff like Bt or Glyphosate are pretty harmless all things considered. Others are significantly more harmful to a person's health.

Pesticides are a big category of chemicals, there's no rule that all of them are carcinogenic.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Excellent article, Stephanie Mencimer. Did anyone seriously believe in the alcohol industry's claims that moderate drinking is good for you versus teetotallers (who were actually ex-drinkers who also smoked)? Like c'mon, if it was, it would be recommended as a medicine.

I'm just surprised 90% of underage drinking is binge drinking. Of course the cancer risk is going to catch up when you're older, you don't get to forget what you did at an earlier age.

But wine tastings are a staple of breast cancer fundraising events. The Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University has been holding a "women and wine" fundraiser annually for breast cancer research for more than a decade. "Brews for Breast Cancer" events have proliferated. In October, the American Cancer Society threw its 40th annual Wine and Spirits Industry Gala in New York City "to support the Society's mission of eliminating cancer as a major health problem."
Wow!

Imagine if there were "Smokes for Lung Cancer" campaigns. Preying on women with the pinkwashing.

Thankfully I haven't come across ads here in the UK encouraging moderate drinking as a health benefit.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Continued trolling after receiving a mod warning.
Nah. Next time, provide sources for your claims.
If people want to call me out for something that might be false then they can do so. I'm under no obligation to provide sources for my claim. He asked why and I told him. If you have a problem with that specific sly response that's fine, I understand.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everything is carcinogenic at this point. Unless you shower in plutonium most people will be fine. Moderation is key as always.
If you read the article, you'd know alcohol in moderation isn't key and you're still likely to increase your cancer risk compared to not drinking. Especially if you used to drink a lot when you were younger, it all catches up.

Drinking in moderation or responsibly isn't a thing according to the science, it's a mythical advertising slogan paid for by the alcohol industry who will jump on or just fund any study that will try to say moderation is alright or good for you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people want to call me out for something that might be false then they can do so. I'm under no obligation to provide sources for my claim. He asked why and I told him. If you have a problem with that specific sly response that's fine, I understand.

lol so in your world, everyone is free to troll any thread.

I asked you for receipts too a few posts back.

Oct 28, 2017
Ah come on, as if deli meat is something you can't live without. It's nasty shit compared to a real cut.

Came for the obligatory "it's okay because everything gives you cancer" justification., and there it is, first post.

Did I make any justification or rationalize not minimizing consumption of alcohol? No. Just the opposite. People probably don't realize stuff they eat and feed their kids every day was labeled a carcinogen by the WHO.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alcohol is great.

Sips on my beer.

Shitty people gonna be shitty. ::shrug::

Also who really cares about public indecency, I mean other than puritanical Americans.

We Germans do at least in parts. We start to paint walls with special paint so people start to piss themselves. So many people that drink are disgusting and have no respect as soon as they nip a few drinks.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
If you read the article, you'd know alcohol in moderation isn't key and you're still likely to increase your cancer risk compared to not drinking. Especially if you used to drink a lot when you were younger, it all catches up.

Drinking in moderation or responsibly isn't a thing according to the science, it's a mythical advertising slogan paid for by the alcohol industry who will jump on or just fund any study that will try to say moderation is alright or good for you.
Countless studies have shown that moderate drinking, as in an 1/8 of wine every now and then, decreases the risk of cardiac arrest as well as moderate drinkers living longer. So what if it also minimally increases the chance of breast cancer? If this is singularly makes you stop drinking alcohol then I'd say you're paranoid (unless you're genetically predisposed to breast cancer or something).

I don't judge anyone for drinking and I don't judge anyone for not drinking because of the negative effects overall, but completely stopping drinking because of this is pretty much like never flying because there's a prominent plane crash every few years. As in completely irrational.

There's a difference between acknowledging this and taking your own conclusions vs already being a non-drinker for religious, ideological, health or other personal reasons and using this to go "see!!!! I was right, alcohol is bad and youre all wrong!". Nobody cares about self-rightous crusading because we're adults and aside from raising awareness (within proportion and without hysteria) can make our own decisions.

Last edited:

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
The interesting thing is I only started seriously drinking towards my late 20s and I'd say I drink more "heavily" now (early 30's) but only on certain occasions. I had a good run I guess.

Oct 29, 2017
It's also bad for your liver. Yet people who drink moderately still have a significantly lower mortality rate than people who don't drink at all.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All of you screaming "everything in moderation" and "everything gives you cancer"; You are both wrong. Some things does not - at all - increase the risk of getting cancer, and some things increase the risk even if you are moderate. You should visit http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/latest_classif.php where you can search for a specific agent. Coffee for example is in group 3 and read meat 2A.
Cancer.png

It's important to point out that the list says nothing about the actual increased risk, only cause. Both proccessed meat and plutonium are in group 1 but of course you should always choose a piece of bacon vs a trip to chernobyl.

Never post again.

Is there a group five? "does not give you cancer" four reads like "not enough information to definitively says does give you cancer."

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed really truly happy people avoid alcohol for the most part. It obscures your emotions and hinders personal growth. Even a night of drinking is a set back.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
No problem, just live in the foods and drink beer all day long. Still probably less carcinogenic and heart disease related exposure than the people who live a "healthy" lifestyle in the cities have.

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a group five? "does not give you cancer" four reads like "not enough information to definitively says does give you cancer."

You cannot prove that something does not exist, so you also can't prove that something doesn't cause cancer. You can be very sure about it but future research may still show otherwise.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Now I'm starting to rethink even just having a couple beers a week...

Anecdotal, but I've known a few alcoholics who got cancer rather early in life.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Funny how the very first reply has a defensive attitude and misses the point of this.

I'm 23 and I've just never cared about drinking even with friends. I've only had a few sips throughout the past couple years.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how smoking has gotten such a social stigma. But alcohol is a national pasttime and a rite of passage having your first beer etc. Turned 18, 19, 21 'you going drinking'? Super Bowl has Budweiser spend billions pn some shitty horse commercial etc.
It doesn't matter how many studies we do, people aren't gonna stop drinking. Alcohol is an escape from your shitty day or life and people will do anything to get that.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I mean, I think it should be obvious to anyone, that his comment was jokingly mentioning that he enjoys the taste of bourbon and not literally "OMG I'm addicted to whiskey and can't enjoy life without it". So why respond with this sort of high-horsed, moralizing "my way is better than yours" attitude?

The fact that you should be able to enjoy life without alcohol (or any drugs for that matter) goes without saying. It does not imply that someone drinks (as in, casual drinkers) = must have personality or addiction issues. Some people simply enjoy the taste or the slight buzz it gives them and there is nothing wrong with that, and you are in no position to judge them.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to derail, but good on you. It's been pretty destructive for some in our family and seeing them fight out of it has been positive.
Hey thanks! I'm in my mid-thirties and I'd been drinking almost daily for... 14 years. While I didn't experience anything too destructive in the past, I know this stuff would eventually catch up to me if I continued. To link to the OP: health is one of many good reasons to not drink, and I feel this study highlights that.

Dec 23, 2017
The human body is so weird it's hard to say how a certain thing will affect a person. My grandfather was and always has been a heavy drinker. He is 84 with no health issues. Same goes for his kids. My uncles all heavy drinkers but not one health issue so far to speak of especially cancer. I guess knock on wood.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't go out much, but one thing I've been trying to cut back on is drinking at home, alone. My parents are terrible for it, and living with them currently and the fridge is ALWAYS stacked with ice cold beer, wine, and whatever else.

I think when I move out and I'm not buying it myself I'll be much less likely to drink. All an excuse for my lack of willpower really though.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, I think it should be obvious to anyone, that his comment was jokingly mentioning that he enjoys the taste of bourbon and not literally "OMG I'm addicted to whiskey and can't enjoy life without it". So why respond with this sort of high-horsed, moralizing "my way is better than yours" attitude?

The fact that you should be able to enjoy life without alcohol (or any drugs for that matter) goes without saying. It does not imply that someone drinks (as in, casual drinkers) = must have personality or addiction issues. Some people simply enjoy the taste or the slight buzz it gives them and there is nothing wrong with that, and you are in no position to judge them.

This thread has almost been insanely judgmental of people who drink and not the other way around. It's amazing that there are claims of people being super defensive.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a fan of drinks that aren't milk or water (soft drinks are bleh, coffee is way too bitter), so I doubt I'd be the type to enjoy alcohol anyway. But I've sworn off ever drinking alcohol even before I hit legal age, and considering the shit it does to people even in moderation (never, ever drink and drive, period), some people have told me it's probably a wise decision. This is just giving me another excuse never to break that vow.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Almost seems easier to continue trying yo make cancer treatable than to try and dodge all these carcinogen bullets

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
So there are two kinds of things. Those we know cause cancer and those we might find cause cancer in the future?
Basically. But I would define them more as: those that have significant data supporting the conclusion that they cause cancer, and those that don't have significant data supporting the conclusion that they cause cancer, if we're just talking about two categories.