Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mother Jones has just reported that alcohol has been proven to be a known carcinogen and the alcohol industry is downplaying the link to cancer: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

I quickly discovered that way back in 1988, the World Health Organization declared alcohol a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning that it's been proved to cause cancer. There is no known safe dosage in humans, according to the WHO. Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer, but it kills more women from breast cancer than from any other. The International Agency for Research on Cancer estimates that for every drink consumed daily, the risk of breast cancer goes up 7 percent.

The research linking alcohol to breast cancer is deadly solid. There's no controversy here. Alcohol, regardless of whether it's in Everclear or a vintage Bordeaux, is carcinogenic. More than 100 studies over several decades have reaffirmed the link with consistent results. The National Cancer Institute says alcohol raises breast cancer risk even at low levels.

Over the past two decades, the alcohol industry has gone all out to tie its products to an active lifestyle. Peter Cressy, the former CEO of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), the liquor lobby, explained in 2000, "DISCUS is working to ensure cultural acceptance of alcohol beverages by 'normalizing' them in the minds of consumers as a healthy part of a normal lifestyle."

Alcohol companies, long sponsors of football games and NASCAR events, now sponsor 5K races and triathlons. During last year's Super Bowl, a Michelob Ultra ad featured extremely fit people working out and then grabbing a beer to quench their thirst. (Drinking alcohol after exercise causes dehydration and impedes muscle recovery.) Hard liquor companies concocted products like Devotion Spirits vodka, which supposedly contained a protein that would help build muscle while preventing hangovers. (In 2012, Devotion Spirits withdrew many of its health claims after the Federal Trade Commission opened an investigation.)

Indeed, the supposed health upside of moderate drinking is one of the industry's go-to talking points. When Mother Jones reached out to the leading beer and liquor companies and the major industry groups, those that responded acknowledged the connection between alcohol and cancer, but some argued the risk belongs mostly or entirely to heavy drinkers. Sarah Longwell, the managing director of the American Beverage Institute, said in a statement that "a substantial number of well-conducted studies reveal no correlation between cancer and moderate to light alcohol consumption." Moderate drinking, she noted, has been found to reduce the risk of heart disease, among other benefits. "There has been a concerted effort by some researchers to reverse that knowledge," she said in an earlier conversation. "I think it is flying in the face of good science."

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck. Guess I'll get cancer at some point. I drink coffee, eat red meats, drink alcohol by the gallon, i have a cell phone, I have wifi ..

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There are plenty of things we consume that have some element of carcinigenic effect, everything should be consumed in moderation. I imagine that a drink a day would not drastically increase a persons risk for cancer, but at the same time there are surely genetic components to alcohol induced cancers that would be helpful to identify.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is marijuana the "safest" recreational drug? That's a genuine question; interesting in seeing what studies have been done on this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy how smoking has gotten such a social stigma. But alcohol is a national pasttime and a rite of passage having your first beer etc. Turned 18, 19, 21 'you going drinking'? Super Bowl has Budweiser spend billions pn some shitty horse commercial etc.
Alcohol is one of the big reasons why the restaurant industry is solvent too.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm drinking right now yo

But for real everything has to be taken in moderation. Don't run yourself ragged on anything.

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
I'd like to know what the risks are proporioprop to. Are cigarettes like...five times worse for you than beer? Or like....two times worse?

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the thing is, they have no fucking clue what causes cancer... because they can say things can lead to a greater risk, there's typically no single thing.

Because no singular thing actually "causes" cancer.. your fucking body does it to itself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of things we consume that have some element of carcinigenic effect, everything should be consumed in moderation. I imagine that a drink a day would not drastically increase a persons risk for cancer, but at the same time there are surely genetic components to alcohol induced cancers that would be helpful to identify.

"There is no known safe dosage in humans":

I quickly discovered that way back in 1988, the World Health Organization declared alcohol a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning that it's been proved to cause cancer. There is no known safe dosage in humans, according to the WHO. Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer, but it kills more women from breast cancer than from any other. The International Agency for Research on Cancer estimates that for every drink consumed daily, the risk of breast cancer goes up 7 percent.

The research linking alcohol to breast cancer is deadly solid. There's no controversy here. Alcohol, regardless of whether it's in Everclear or a vintage Bordeaux, is carcinogenic. More than 100 studies over several decades have reaffirmed the link with consistent results. The National Cancer Institute says alcohol raises breast cancer risk even at low levels.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And tobacco hasn't? Chewing, pipe, and smoking of tobacco predates centuries to millenia. In less than 30 years we've stigmatized smoking and dip chewing. Surely we can make inroad on alcohol. I had a friends foreign student come from Amsterdam to stay at her house for a semester. She was shocked at how looked down she was and how few places she could actuslly smoke.

Alcohol is great.

Sips on my beer.

How many domestic assaults, public urinations, public fights,public indecencies and even drunk driving deaths are there versus someoen getting cancer caause thr shithead 8 feet ahrad blows smoke thst comes near you?

Shitty people gonna be shitty. ::shrug::

Also who really cares about public indecency, I mean other than puritanical Americans.

DHARMA PUNX

Banned
Mar 22, 2018
smoking has become pretty damn uncommon here in California

can't believe how much it has changed since when I was younger

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, saying "but x gives you cancer too!" Is a bad response.

Alcohol is a known carcinogen to the degree which most other substances are not. Yes, there may be a study or two that say that a substance may cause cancer (usually contradicted by other studies as well), but that's not the same as decades of research and comprehensive metastudies coming to the conclusion that alcohol is carcinogenic.

Nor do most substances have huge industries purposefully misleading the public about the well known carcinogenic effects of them.

If you have a problem with the labeling alcohol has, or you just don't care, that's fine. But let's not pretend most other substances that have been in the news as "possibly carcinogenic" are anywhere near as bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally i can give a good reason to people when they ask why i dont drink alcohol.

I've always told people I refuse to drink because when I was young, I witnessed a friend of mine get hit by a drunk driver, fly up in the air and get killed immediately when they landed so I never want to drink alcohol.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And tobacco hasn't? Chewing, pipe, and smoking of tobacco predates centuries to millenia. In less than 30 years we've stigmatized smoking and dip chewing. Surely we can make inroad on alcohol. I had a friends foreign student come from Amsterdam to stay at her house for a semester. She was shocked at how looked down she was and how few places she could actuslly smoke.
Alcohol has been around (in today's existing societies) way, way longer than tobacco.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Everything causes cancer these days. I will keep enjoying my beers.

Heck, my grandmother likes to drink beer every weekend and she just turned 96 last month.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Interesting given all of the talk about how wine with supper is good for you and things like that. I guess almost anything in moderation is okay, but still.

Deli meat is also a carcinogen. Everything gives you cancer.

Good thing I won't touch that disgusting stuff with a ten foot pole, I guess, and don't drink much.

*Looks at half-drunk energy drink and others in fridge* -- Okay, maybe I can't talk much. But deli meats make my stomach turn.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Queen Elizabeth drinks and some super old people did too. But the amounts is what probably makes the difference. I still think it's likely it can have benefits in the right circumstances.

A bottle of wine lasts me four glasses, and I'll drink only one per day when I open the bottle.

Whisky or rum; a small glass every once in a while.

Beer pretty much only when at a restaurant, and only one or two at most.

Interesting given all of the talk about how wine with supper is good for you and things like that. I guess almost anything in moderation is okay, but still.

Good thing I won't touch that disgusting stuff with a ten foot pole, I guess, and don't drink much.

*Looks at half-drunk energy drink and others in fridge* -- Okay, maybe I can't talk much. But deli meats make my stomach turn.

Wine is full of lead, except Italian and Argentinian. Look it up.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is marijuana the "safest" recreational drug? That's a genuine question; interesting in seeing what studies have been done on this.
If smoked, seems very unlikely. Smoke in lungs is not gonna be good no matter how you slice it, no matter what it is from.
In any other form... dunno. But i reckon there are less long term studies for it, along with many other drugs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

I honestly think those studies aren't that good. They don't isolate for social connection. Many researchers now believe its the social connections that drinking fosters that is the key player.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
At least I won't get cancer from drinking. I'll just get it from the million of other things.