ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for this for years. I kind of want to play this on the PS5 because it will be so weird playing AW on Playstation, but I have a feeling that it will fare slightly better on the Series X.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i wonder what their sales expectations on pc are for the remaster. the og alan wake didn't exactly sell well and in the end they were throwing away pc keys for like 5$ and that was years ago. an updated alan wake character model and some remastered cinematics, that doesn't sound like a huge upgrade for pc gamers and and on top of that it will only be on egs.

still i wish remedy all the best, they are a great studio and i'm glad they are still making singleplayer games like this. i'm looking forward to alan wake 2, i hope the gameplay improves a lot for the sequel though. also i will probably buy AW2 on console because i'm not supporting egs.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Do we know that for sure? (I may have missed it)

It's a separate title, not DLC for the original. They came out years apart. Maybe we'll still get it, but I wouldn't expect them to remaster both games at the same time (or hold back the release of the first until both were done).

One would think that some selling point is get the whole package. But yeah you are right. although American Nightmare was a fraction of Alan Wake, so I don't think that is a reach to pay for both.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully it's a good remaster made by Remedy themselves and not outsourced. Not sure if i'll buy it since i already played it more than once on 360 and still have the CE.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the original was pretty dark throughout and I'm not sure 4K textures will make that big of an improvement...I hope I'm wrong...this might be another case like the Bioshock remaster which made the game worse in some respects

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021
Which is bullshit.
The original was self-published by Remedy.
This is likely a side effect of Epic publishing AW2 which is where I'll buy them both in EGS probably.
But the remaster should've been launched on all platforms.
Funny post, Epic is financing this remaster and AW2 so it course it will be Epic exclusive on PC.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Excited, but I'll wait for a Steam release. Can't wait to see the differences. Still have the finish the original.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Any hint that they might've fixed the facial animation/lip-sync?

...?
They said they redid all the cinematics, so I'm guessing that they've 100% fixed that.

Sam Lake said:
But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Should I play Alan Wake before Control?
I'd say yes, but mainly because I think gameplay wise you'll find it harder to go back to Alan Wake after playing Control.

Storyline wise, you'd be completely fine either way, but I wouldn't play the AWE add on for Control until after playing Alan Wake as that delves more into potential spoiler territory for Alan Wake.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Should I play Alan Wake before Control?

I played Control including the Alan Wake DLC and haven't played Alan Wake as I was holding out for a Remaster (thank you Remedy!). Only thing I can say is that I wasn't ever confused as to what was going on as it explains self pretty well in the optional documents you can read, but I felt that there was certainly some context I was missing out on having not played Alan Wake.

I'd say just wait and play Alan Wake first at this point since it's coming, but if you don't want to, you will still enjoy Control regardless.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yes! Alan Wake is my favorite game from Xbox 360, I'm excited to replay it with some better graphics.

Also, lol @ people getting offended because people asked about it being on Game Pass.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
AH YEAH!!!!!!!!

Day Negative Infinity or whatever (doesn't make sense, don't care). /don'tavatarquoteme

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
They said they redid all the cinematics, so I'm guessing that they've 100% fixed that.
"Updated and improved" to me doesn't necessarily mean re-rendered. I'll just wait and see because the FMV stuff is probably going to look pretty fugly compared to all the 4k in-game graphics. There's a couple of interesting challenges they might face with this update. I'm eager to see it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"Updated and improved" to me doesn't necessarily mean re-rendered. I'll just wait and see because the FMV stuff is probably going to look pretty fugly compared to all the 4k in-game graphics. There's a couple of interesting challenges they might face with this update. I'm eager to see it.
How do you update and improve the cinematics with 'choice next gen upgrades' while leaving them as 720p FMV like in the original game?

Honestly, the biggest complaint I have with the current game on PC is how ugly the 720p bink files look compared to the 4k in game graphics. I'm sure a lot of people would agree. Gameplay could look a lot better, but it's still held up rather nicely (poly counts of the environments being a notable exception). Those 720p FMVs haven't held up at all.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
No American Nightmare is an odd omission. The game isn't exactly strong enough on its own as it's own physical release unless they're going through limited run or something for it.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. This is one of my favorite games ever.

Imagine if Rockstar announced Red Dead Redemption Remastered and released it on the same day lol

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No American Nightmare is an odd omission. The game isn't exactly strong enough on its own as it's own physical release unless they're going through limited run or something for it.
It's no more odd to me than RE2 remake not also including the events of RE3. American Nightmare uses an updated engine. It's a complete standalone game with greatly updated combat etc, even if its a shorter experience.

But you're the second person who has said that, so what do I know?

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
How do you update and improve the cinematics with 'choice next gen upgrades' while leaving them as 720p FMV like in the original game?

Honestly, the biggest complaint I have with the current game on PC is how ugly the 720p bink files look compared to the 4k in game graphics. I'm sure a lot of people would agree. Gameplay could look a lot better, but it's still held up rather nicely (poly counts of the environments being a notable exception). Those 720p FMVs haven't held up at all.
I agree and I hope re-rendering is an option. But I fear they might not have all those files and redoing it might be too much work. I'm hoping they can go all out because those FMVs need it. But my fear is they opt for some sort of uprezzing technique.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree and I hope re-rendering is an option. But I fear they might not have all those files and redoing it might be too much work. I'm hoping they can go all out because those FMVs need it. But my fear is they opt for some sort of uprezzing technique.
They can't do that because Alan's model has been updated. It'd be pretty jarring if the game had one model and the cutscenes had an older one. To the point that I don't think they would update the model if they couldn't do that.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

Depends on how they price it. Alan Wake by itself is a solid, satisfying game even if the gameplay may not be everyone's cup of tea after a while.

With this being a remaster and not a remake, I'm anticipating a fairly discounted price upon release. Hopefully we'll get American Nightmare eventually too, but I'd much rather revisit AW over AN if I could only choose one or the other.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm *very* confident this won't be a Ghostbusters Remaster situation. They invested heavily in facial capture stuff after they got criticized for the cinematics in Alan Wake. They know what is needed. Their tools are really good for redoing this stuff. I'd be shocked, shocked I tell you if they haven't redone all the cinematics in Northlight.
They can't do that because Alan's model has been updated. It'd be pretty jarring if the game had one model and the cutscenes had an older one. To the point that I don't think they would update the model if they couldn't do that.
And yeah, this. They're redoing the other graphics. Having the cutscenes using all the old models etc would be even worse than things currently are with the PC version.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's no more odd to me than RE2 remake not also including the events of RE3. American Nightmare uses an updated engine. It's a complete standalone game with greatly updated combat etc, even if its a shorter experience.

But you're the second person who has said that, so what do I know?

The MSRP is $9.99, I can't think of many physical releases that come out at that price. They could raise it to $20 when they decide to do it, but I still think it's a hard sell on its own if you're not already a AW faithful. I'm talking physically here as the title has always been stuck digital only.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I'm *very* confident this won't be a Ghostbusters Remaster situation. They invested heavily in facial capture stuff after they got criticized for the cinematics in Alan Wake. They know what is needed. Their tools are really good for redoing this stuff. I'd be shocked, shocked I tell you if they haven't redone all the cinematics in Northlight.

And yeah, this. They're redoing the other graphics. Having the cutscenes using all the old models etc would be even worse than things currently are with the PC version.
OK, you've convinced me to get excite.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
INTO MY VEINSSSSS!

Alan Wake is probably my favorite 360 game, such a great and gripping story and unlike some I really enjoyed the combat