• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else having the problem that once the enhanced graphic pack is downloaded, it just downloads again from the beginning?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The work and care that went into this game makes Blizzard's StarCraft 1 effort look so lazy and incomplete. It looks like their WarCraft 3 update will also pale in comparison.

I'm loving the RTS mini revival though. Too bad it basically consists of remasters of 20yr old games, lol.

Where the hell are my Command & Conquer definitive editions? Let's complete the circle!

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I hate to be the person coming in and just blindly asking stuff, but if I already have the older AoEII HD, is this worth getting?

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hate to be the person coming in and just blindly asking stuff, but if I already have the older AoEII HD, is this worth getting?

It has 4 new Civs and 3 new campaign. So it's also another expansion on top of being a complete overhaul. It's $15 on steam if you have all the HD expansions. It's a really great deal.

Khatoz

Oct 27, 2017
Between warcraft and the original AoE2 they stole so much of my time during my teens, now just need to find time to delve back into this.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It has 4 new Civs and 3 new campaign. So it's also another expansion on top of being a complete overhaul. It's $15 on steam if you have all the HD expansions. It's a really great deal.
At least 5 new campaigns. The Forgotten Alaric + Inca campaigns appear to be redone from scratch (the 1st 2 scenarios in Alaric were brand new, at least). I suspect other Forgotten scenarios got an overhaul, too (I heard Sforza had some big changes).

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering, if I do this thing of linking the game to my Xbox account, is the game permanently linked to that account or can I unlink/switch Xbox account? Or does it get linked to the Steam account? Asking before I link it because I happen to have 2 accounts, one is my main but not from my country, the other is from my country but not used much.

What is added from the HD edition? Debating on if I want to double dip.
I didn't buy all the HD expansions, but I'm pretty sure DE has absolutely everything that was ever released for HD, but completely remastered too, new Civs and campaigns, there's also something I liked that's new that teaches players how to do quick age advancements and rush attacks.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
The new voice acting in the campaigns is really nice. AoK was always full of super hammy fake accents; they've redone all of it with (I think?) native speakers.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Uhm.. okay so.. I just got my first wonder victory and im kinda puzzled. So when I started building the building, I created a shit ton of units, towers and walls. I was readying for an epic battle... only to realize that from the two remaining enemies only one sent like.. two horses to die at my walls.. After the game when the map was revealed, neither of the enemies had more than like 3-5 units? And whats more puzzling is that according tp the stats, my army was the largest with 154 units followed by 19, 17 and 12. Im playing on standard difficulty so this seems a bit weird.
Umm, you don't.

Stone walls become available in the Castle Age. But any palisades you've already built won't get converted to stone.
So to build stone walls you have the wooden wall? You cant just build "on top of" the older wall?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tried it out today and it's nicely done, but even fully zoomed in things are too small, and panning the screen is stuttery. Fix those and it's perfect.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering, if I do this thing of linking the game to my Xbox account, is the game permanently linked to that account or can I unlink/switch Xbox account? Or does it get linked to the Steam account? Asking before I link it because I happen to have 2 accounts, one is my main but not from my country, the other is from my country but not used much.

I didn't buy all the HD expansions, but I'm pretty sure DE has absolutely everything that was ever released for HD, but completely remastered too, new Civs and campaigns, there's also something I liked that's new that teaches players how to do quick age advancements and rush attacks.

Sounds good, thanks!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Game doing good on Steam. Having also atm its peak player count.

Aoe2HD as 10k players right now. The game is NOT doing well (less than 1k on steam). Honestly, it's quite broken right now. Performance shouldn't be as bad as it is. Kind of disappointed because this should be the thing that brings all players together.

I'll always love AOE and i'll be here 3 months after they fix this mess but I don't think the community will...

Uhm.. okay so.. I just got my first wonder victory and im kinda puzzled. So when I started building the building, I created a shit ton of units, towers and walls. I was readying for an epic battle... only to realize that from the two remaining enemies only one sent like.. two horses to die at my walls.. After the game when the map was revealed, neither of the enemies had more than like 3-5 units? And whats more puzzling is that according tp the stats, my army was the largest with 154 units followed by 19, 17 and 12. Im playing on standard difficulty so this seems a bit weird.

So to build stone walls you have the wooden wall? You cant just build "on top of" the older wall?

I think aggression starts picking up when you put it on moderate. I tried hard the other day and I can't keep up haha

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Aoe2HD as 10k players right now. The game is NOT doing well (less than 1k on steam). Honestly, it's quite broken right now. Performance shouldn't be as bad as it is. Kind of disappointed because this should be the thing that brings all players together.

I'll always love AOE and i'll be here 3 months after they fix this mess but I don't think the community will...

I think aggression starts picking up when you put it on moderate. I tried hard the other day and I can't keep up haha
Gonna try that now! It seemed pretty weird.
No, you cant build them on top, but you have access to both in feudal age so you can build stone walls and skip the wood ones, or just build an inner layer of stone walls
Ok thanks!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good performance wise. I did have a weird crash were it just disappeared when it was minimized. But its campaign autosave is really good cause it was saved right where I had left off.

Nah that sounds about right for standard, it's way too easy. Moderate is a big jump in comparison.

I don't know if they tweaked it but they should have made a difficulty between standard and moderate to be the normal difficulty.

Try out moderate next time.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018

In addition to turning up the difficulty (at least in the original game, the easiest basically lets you win and standard is only one step up), if you want a challenging wonder defense, play the last mission of the Saladin campaign! Skip to it with cheats if you want, it's a fun one.

Last edited:

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It's kinda bs that the Microsoft store version doesn't have the latest patch. This developer is literally a part of Microsoft. It's such a shit show, because you can't cross play between the ms store and steam when they have different versions.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Aoe2HD as 10k players right now. The game is NOT doing well (less than 1k on steam).

That's AoE DE. AoE2 DE currently has roughly twice the players as AoE2 HD (~16.5k versus ~8.3k).

I read that yes, technically, but the game pass version is behind steam currently, and they aren't right now because of that. Anyone else know if that's true?

It is:

Please note that the Microsoft Store has not received build 32911 at this time. Until it has, cross-network play between the Store and Steam versions will not be available.

Follow our social channels to learn when cross-network play has been restored.

Bizarre that a patch for an XGS-published game has to go through certification.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Certification is still a thing.....why??? So this is why me and a friend couldn't play earlier. I'm on steam and he is on Pc pass.

Also this game is doing well on Steam.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm happy the game is doing very well on Steam, IIRC current peak/concurrent numbers are higher than what HD managed around release and is staying higher on top sellers and for longer, EVEN when you consider the new Star Wars game and the freaking MCC being up there too. The HD we know today achieved high numbers after whole months of very slowly gaining players after the unfortunate technical issues it was released with. I was always afraid both games would break each others' numbers but they seem to be getting along, we'll have to see long term what happens, but DE truly feels like the definitive way to go now with the QoL changes and the renewed and more unified graphics.

Hope any remaining issues in the game can be fixed promptly.

Lastly, if anyone could try and give me an answer on this I'd greatly appreciate it :P

I'm wondering, if I do this thing of linking the game to my Xbox account, is the game permanently linked to that account or can I unlink/switch Xbox account? Or does the Xbox account get linked to the Steam account? Asking before I link because I happen to have 2 accounts, one is my main but not from my country, the other is from my country but not used much.
I'm going back and forth on which account to link.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Lastly, if anyone could try and give me an answer on this I'd greatly appreciate it :P

I'm going back and forth on which account to link.

You can sign in to different accounts.

Edit: You may have to unlink the game first, though. There's a "Manage your apps" button in the notification e-mail you'll get from Microsoft.

Last edited:

esteh

Sep 15, 2019
just got the game, cant wait!
my first true gaming experience is AOE II, hopefully it's as good as original release

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
While I somewhat miss the old voices, I think these are great, and I'm loving the new production values.

The intros are still simple, but the voice acting, coupled with the sound design and artwork work together perfectly. Joan of Arc's last mission gets you hyped to avenge her.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

What. The game has been the whole day second after Jedi Fallen Order for new games Even now has 15k players and peak concurrent was 26k yesterday
steamdb.info

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition · AppID: 813780

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of one of the most popular strategy games ever with stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics, a new and fully remastered soundtrack, and brand-new content, “The Last Khans” with 3 new campaigns and 4 new civilizations. Age of Empires II...

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That's AoE DE. AoE2 DE currently has roughly twice the players as AoE2 HD (~16.5k versus ~8.3k).
What. The game has been the whole day second after Jedi Fallen Order for new games Even now has 15k players and peak concurrent was 26k yesterday
steamdb.info

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition · AppID: 813780

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of one of the most popular strategy games ever with stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics, a new and fully remastered soundtrack, and brand-new content, “The Last Khans” with 3 new campaigns and 4 new civilizations. Age of Empires II...

Checked the wrong game, my bad. I totally believed those numbers because the server lobby is so broken. Glad it is doing well!

Also, have you guys seen this? Really think they should implement this.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The new Alaric campaign tones down the RPG elements, but is far more coherent as a result.

The only map that's there from the HD version is the siege of Rome itself, but even that one's been totally retooled.

That last mission is proper hard. Had to turn down the game speed and rush one of the enemies, otherwise I kept getting curb-stomped once they all got up and running.

Moving on to Attila. Not expecting too many changes here.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Nah that sounds about right for standard, it's way too easy. Moderate is a big jump in comparison.

I don't know if they tweaked it but they should have made a difficulty between standard and moderate to be the normal difficulty.

Try out moderate next time.
In addition to turning up the difficulty (at least in the original game, the easiest basically lets you win and standard is only one step up), if you want a challenging wonder defense, play the last mission of the Saladin campaign! Skip to it with cheats if you want, it's a fun one.
You guys werent kidding about the difficulty jump. On moderate I got absolutely rekt 3 times in a row. xDD

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You guys werent kidding about the difficulty jump. On moderate I got absolutely rekt 3 times in a row. xDD

generally, Moderate punishes you for mistakes. Hard makes you work for your win. At least that's how it was in HD.

I was getting overwhelmed by Moderate in Alaric 5, but that's cuz I was facing 4 post-imp enemies with established cities as Goths and I was starting from scratch... once I sniped the Goth opponent to make sure I wouldn't get flooded with heavy infantry, I could handle the other 3 with relative ease.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just two missions into the campaign but this is beautiful. Almost feels like a faithful remake instead of a remaster. Just beautiful. It's finally time to tackle the campaigns. Back then I only played multiplayer and AI games.

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
First timer playing through the tutorial. It doesn't seem to mark the campaign levels as completed when you finish them unless I'm missing something. It would be good to see which I've done each time I come back to the game.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
generally, Moderate punishes you for mistakes. Hard makes you work for your win. At least that's how it was in HD.

I was getting overwhelmed by Moderate in Alaric 5, but that's cuz I was facing 4 post-imp enemies with established cities as Goths and I was starting from scratch... once I sniped the Goth opponent to make sure I wouldn't get flooded with heavy infantry, I could handle the other 3 with relative ease.
Yeah it sure is pretty punishing. Also im having a bit of trouble balancing my economy.

One more question, do siege weaoons etc cause friendly fire?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
First timer playing through the tutorial. It doesn't seem to mark the campaign levels as completed when you finish them unless I'm missing something. It would be good to see which I've done each time I come back to the game.

Yeah same for me, not using cheats either so I don't think that was the issue.

Thankfully not a problem for the campaigns after the tutorial since they start at 1, but guess I'll have to keep track of the historical battles.

Nov 2, 2017
I have a question about the performance of this game. I don't have the highest end set up but i feel like my FPS is strangely low for this type of game. i5-4460, gtx 1660 ti, 8GB ram. Hovering in the 30's and 40's. Is this just normal for my specs or am I missing something in the settings?