• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Those numbers are actually pretty good . Also IIRC there were indications from people who would know that Steamspy's new algorithm tends to err on the low side.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just anime aesthetics.

Persona 5 have the advantage of a very stylish and unique art direction on top of the Anime. Dragon Quest doesn't have anything like that to catch people's attention imo

Hell I would not be surprise if people think that DQ is some budget old school FF inspired game.
The reception was really positive, you'd think that would help.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine most of DQ's fanbase is on console, so the PS4 version would be seeing the bulk of the sales. I'm sure there are also a lot of people like me who plan to wait for the Switch version.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Traditional JRPGs aren't that popular on PC. That said, the game is great and I hope it does better. I'm really enjoying this trend of Japanese games coming out on PC.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
The reception was really positive, you'd think that would help.

But it released within days of Spiderman and butt-fuckin' Tomb Raider!

giphy.gif

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is kind of expected too. They seemed like they were hiding this version. Requirements like a week before release. PC sites like PCgamer and RPS didn't review it because Square didn't send out PC copies of the game. Despite the fact that the PC port is perfectly fine. PCgamer's ran a couple articles on it recently so they'll likely review it soon but it is baffling they didn't even make the bare minimum effort.

Feels like they thought they could just repeat their Nier release and hope for the best.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The game had basically no marketing and all PC buyers went into buying DQXI totally blind. There were no impressions about the quality of the PC port anywhere, not even on dedicated websites like RPS or PC Gamer; all the reviews were frim the PS4 version. We found that it was a rather decent version (the definitive, actually) hours and days after the release, not before.

After the Nier: Automata fiasco, which will never be fixed, I think it's reasonable for pc gamers to be cautious with Square-Enix.

Also, Spider-Man and a totally packed month play a factor as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game had basically no marketing and all PC buyers went into buying DQXI totally blind. There was no impressions about the quality of the PC port anywhere, not even on dedicated websites like RPS or PC Gamer; all the reviews were frim the PS4 version. We found that it was a rather decent version (the definitive, actually) hours and days after the release, not before.

After the Nier: Automata fiasco, which will never be fixed, I think it's reasonable for pc gamers to be cautious with Square-Enix.

Also, Spider-Man and a totally packed month play a factor as well.
What happened with NieR? Why will it never be fixed? Is it something about the way the game was coded, or just that Square literally won't bother? Wasn't FF15 a good port? I imagine that should have been held as the barometer...

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Persona 5 have the advantage of a very stylish and unique art direction on top of the Anime. Dragon Quest doesn't have anything like that to catch people's attention imo

Hell I would not be surprise if people think that DQ is some budget old school FF inspired game.

I think a lot of people can recognize Toriyama's art style anywhere, especially considering how popular Dragon Ball Super was this past year.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Take out that terrible midi quality music and I may buy it. Totally inexcusable for 2017/18 PC and PS4 game.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda wish my PC was good enough to play it, not looking forward to my ps4 sounding like a jet engine when i play it

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like an OK result. I'm definitely glad it hit day and date with the PS4 version; would be cool if more Japanese games did that.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata doesn't even play at your screen resolution without a mod, the options in the menu do nothing. Then it suffers from severe stuttering due to poor coding that the mods alleviate somewhat but can't fix entirely. SE or Platinum didn't even release a patch for the resolution problem, which is at the very least what you would expect.

Then the cutscenes were the 900p letterboxed videos straight from the PS4. It's very hard to believe that they didn't have higher quality masters in 2017.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking blame Square for this, where the fuck was the fucking marketing for this game
Not only the marketing was lacking, but also localisation efforts.... Final Fantasy XV was released at the same time for the entire world with many options of languages.... Dragon Quest is a year later from japan and only bring english for us brazilians.... I have bought it (having a blast) cause like many, I know enough to play and enjoy the game, but the potential is squandered without proper localisation.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017

Akira Toryama art is is very reconigzable and cherished because of Dragon Ball.....

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Square should have done more to promote the game. They didn't even bother to send out review copies for the PC version. SE put all their hopes on the PS4 version to blow up in the west, but that obviously isn't happening because of Spider-Man. I won't support the game until a handheld version makes it over, and I'm sure there are plenty thinking the same. SE skipped out on the 3DS version while blatantly ignoring the PC version they created for the west. If they really wanted DQ to become bigger in the west, then they chose the absolute worst way to do so.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with NieR? Why will it never be fixed? Is it something about the way the game was coded, or just that Square literally won't bother? Wasn't FF15 a good port? I imagine that should have been held as the barometer...
Has some issues that a fan patch had to fix. SE didn't wanna pay devs to fix it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Danganronpa, Yakuza 0 and Valkyria Chronicles were all less than half the price as DQXI at launch. Not really a fair comparison.

Also Danganronpa 1 didn't hit 100k sales until well after 2 released on Steam. I was regularly checking the steamspy numbers when it came out.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That's pretty decent. There wasn't even any info regarding the port before it came out, you can't expect too much when you don't give a shit. It will keep selling though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has some issues that a fan patch had to fix. SE didn't wanna pay devs to fix it.
That's one way to burn bridges

Danganronpa, Yakuza 0 and Valkyria Chronicles were all less than half the price as DQXI at launch. Not really a fair comparison.

Also Danganronpa 1 didn't hit 100k sales until well after 2 released on Steam. I was regularly checking the steamspy numbers when it came out.
Yeah, someone else brought up the pricing issue, which is a fair point.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Would be terrible for PS4 but sounds pretty good for PC. That said they picked a terrible time to release it.

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
100k for a Dragon Quest game for PC looks really good IMO

I was expecting something like 1 mi lifetime sales (PC+PS4) in the west, and looks like the game can reach that

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you don't know whether people didn't buy it because of Sugiyama or playing up his abhorrent views would have made it more appealing to Steam users.
jbhmmm.png

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Not bad, not great. Sadly it's release date really hurt any major sales potential it might have otherwise had. It's a shame because it really is a great game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No sugarcoating it. That's not good. Hopefully ps4 owners picked up the slack or we're looking at a pretty big bomb. SE should have released the game a onth ago. Really bad timing

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly better than I expected with the piss poor marketing of Square Enix, I expect this game to have long legs when more people realize how good it is.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
No marketing, no PC reviews AT ALL, full price niche game. It's way better than expected.

That actually seems OK in the grand scheme of things? I think it helped a lot that the competition was less crowded on the PC than it is for PS4 right now, but given the near-total lack of presence the series has on PC and Squenix's deathly allergies in promoting the game at all, that seems like a respectable start.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason, I had absolutely zero interest in playing it on PC. Sounds strange, but mentally I have a hard time focusing on RPGs on PC, especially when there are distractions like, well, the internet. Ideally, I would have played it on Switch first, but yeah, it had to be PS4. Plus, with GCU, a reward cert, and the $1 in-store pick-up incentive, it only cost me $42, and I can sell it later if I want (I won't).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
50k-100k units sold at $60 in 1 week on 1 store is better than I expected, especially when you consider how little the PC version was pushed. It's not going to be a multi-million seller, but that's plenty to justify a PC port for DQ12, especially when you take into account that the sales will be much better over time after a Steam sale or two.

Plus, it takes a while for SteamSpy to accurately measure sales so that 50k-100k estimate is probably only half a week tops.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did kind of treat the PC version like dog shit though. We had 0 info on how it ran up until launch day people could beta test it and report in, and the settings are very minimal.

Really PC people tend to have a very low tolerance for this kind of bullshit from companies.