tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
Can someone please explain the reasoning behind the thought that this could cause delays in the game's US release ?
As has already been brought up, there's a tendency to attempt to erase the filmography of an actor when a scandal like this happens. That is, to stop distributing their films, remove them from streaming services, blacklist them from syndication on TV, etc. Many people in Japan are worried that Judge Eyes is going to be discontinued due to this, and the game was trending on Twitter because a number of people were hurriedly buying copies in case this happens. If Sega decides they don't want to be associated with Pierre Taki, they're probably not going to want to release the Western version with him present, which would mean recasting his character and consequently delaying the Western release. Changing his character model alone wouldn't be enough, they'd need to also rerecord all of his lines with a new actor, and reanimate the lip-sync to match the new deliveries - unless they were crazy enough to just remove the Japanese audio track, but that is definitely not happening.

That's the reasoning. I'm not sure I believe it, but there really isn't a precedent for anything like this. They have demonstrated that recasting a character and rerecording all their dialogue for another region's release is in the realm of possibility already with Lao Gui, though he was a much more minor character. I'll be very disappointed in Sega if they do that here though.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
His career is done. Drugs is a big no no in Asia in general, not just in Japan. And he took friggin cocaine.
Remember Noriko Sakai who was caught using recreational drugs in 2009? Her talent agency terminated her contract rightaway and pulled her CDs and DVDs from stores. Since then she barely had any work.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
and reanimate the lip-sync to match the new deliveries
Localized video game voice acting rarely reanimates lip sync, usually the voice actors try and say their lines in time with the existing Japanese lip flaps. For example, that's what they did with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (there are tons of videos/streams with the main voice actress talking about the job).

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
His career is done. Drugs is a big no no in Asia in general, not just in Japan. And he took friggin cocaine.
Remember Noriko Sakai who was caught using recreational drugs in 2009? Her talent agency terminated her contract rightaway and pulled her CDs and DVDs from stores. Since then she barely had any work.
Would you say that... Pierre Taki has shot himself in the foot...and must publicly apologize?

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
Localized video game voice acting rarely reanimates lip sync, usually the voice actors try and say their lines in time with the existing Japanese lip flaps. For example, that's what they did with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (there are tons of videos/streams with the main voice actress talking about the job).
For what it's worth, Judge Eyes will actually have reanimated lip-sync for the dub, but I'm not talking about that. I'm saying if they recast Hamura Kyohei, they're going to need to re-sync the Japanese animations with his new lines.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ people acting like John Ricciardi doesn't know what he's talking about in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Japan needs to fix their drug laws because it is needlessly punishing. Who cares if someone took a line or two?

Hopefully they don't delay it, especially because drugs are a no issue in the west for the most part.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them recasting if the Japanese version weren't out already, but I can't see them doing it for the English version. For a sequel or possible remaster in 5-10 years, sure.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I could see them recasting if the Japanese version weren't out already, but I can't see them doing it for the English version. For a sequel or possible remaster in 5-10 years, sure.
Yeah, the western release is out in 3 months so localization is nearly done as well. There's no way they'll put the whole thing on hold and recast the actor in and Japan re-record all the lines and everything. The game isn't going to sell enough to make back all the money they'd have to invest.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You joke, but he'll most likely have a press conference to, indeed publicly apologize. Pretty standard thing to do when you fuck up in a East Asian country.
Oh yes, I was just playing on the words and meme. I do understand it could be a serious matter, though. It seems rather rough for people caught with drugs.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why an actor getting caught with a bit of the devil's dandruff is even remotely news. Who gives a fuck.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
My intereset went from over 2000 to over 9000.

REAL CRIMINIAL DRAMA ACTION GAME.

as long as he wasn't dealing who the fuck cares, well, I guess Japan does, personally it doesn't bother me

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a serious matter for Taki, I highly doubt this will cause a delay with Judgment's release. 4 was a different case, but if it ever was to reach a similar point, it would be through the Japanese side first and foremost with the decision affecting any possible sequels or later remasters.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Qv3utFt.jpg

The game predicted his future ||Φ(|'Д`|)Φ||

If only he just stays being a fuji-san

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

There it is. Some real silly looking posts in this thread. Japan takes this shit EXTREMELY seriously. =/

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Please, don't affect the western release. I don't want a delay 3 months before release.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
You are all talking about Judge Eyes, when the real elephant in the room is Kingdom Hearts III and Frozen 2 (he voices Olaf).

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Olaf is 1000% being recast. Wonder if Disney goes back and redubs the original film to avoid being tied to DRUGS.

Also official Sega twitter and their statement on it. Nothing particularly interesting here.

Though it does say something along the lines of "for now," so there's no telling what they actually do after this.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I wonder if this will make my Japanese launch copy super valuable or something :P

I can't imagine this could really affect the English release of the game in any way, though. They're just writing subtitles and recording English VO; this dude's work on the game was likely done over a year ago.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I wonder if this will make my Japanese launch copy super valuable or something :P

I can't imagine this could really affect the English release of the game in any way, though. They're just writing subtitles and recording English VO; this dude's work on the game was likely done over a year ago.

It would effect the game if Sega decides to replace the actor because they'd be replacing his character model since it shares his likeness, just like with the Yakuza game they did the same for.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Weird takes in this thread from people. Did you folks not know that drugs are a serious crime over there? Dude is fucked. We can already see it's affecting things.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It would effect the game if Sega decides to replace the actor because they'd be replacing his character model since it shares his likeness, just like with the Yakuza game they did the same for.

That was for the Japanese release of the Yakuza 4 HD remake, though, right? Like it was actually RGG Studio developing that game and going back to replace Tanimura's model and voice actor. I imagine the Western release of Judgment is done by a much smaller team on a much smaller budget who really wouldn't have the ability to make that kind of change.

I mean, obviously if Sega actually gets RGG Studio to go back and replace Hamura in the Japanese version of the game, then it might be something more serious, but we'll see if it actually comes to that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope someone from the American side of Sega can get on the phone with the Japanese side and say something to the effect of "hey listen, we know this is a big deal. But look: western movie star Tim Allen is basically 99% cocaine at this point and he does children's movies regularly. We Americans love cocaine. Please let us release the game as intended"

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Sincerely hope this doesn't cause any delays for the western release, Judgment's by far my most anticipated game of the year.

Hopefully the fact that the game is already out in Japan, coupled with the fact that Hamura Kyohei isn't a playable character and is seemingly a villain anyway means there won't be some kneejerk reaction to scrub his presence from the game before the game can come out in the west.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
That was for the Japanese release of the Yakuza 4 HD remake, though, right? Like it was actually RGG Studio developing that game and going back to replace Tanimura's model and voice actor. I imagine the Western release of Judgment is done by a much smaller team on a much smaller budget who really wouldn't have the ability to make that kind of change.

I mean, obviously if Sega actually gets RGG Studio to go back and replace Hamura in the Japanese version of the game, then it might be something more serious, but we'll see if it actually comes to that.

Given how big a deal drug use is, I personally don't think Sega of Japan is going to want new, cheaper copies of Judge Eyes with Pierre's likeness and voice in them with Japanese audio in it available on the market and easily accessible to Japanese people.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. If Japanese people think this is bad enough that they're buying up copies of the game before it gets pulled, then it sounds like this could actually torpedo the game? Like, what's the worst-case scenario here? Could the Western release be cancelled?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. If Japanese people think this is bad enough that they're buying up copies of the game before it gets pulled, then it sounds like this could actually torpedo the game? Like, what's the worst-case scenario here? Could the Western release be cancelled?
I don't think they would cancel the game, but I guess the worst case scenario is that they recast the character, which causes the delay for the Western version..

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would cancel the game, but I guess the worst case scenario is that they recast the character, which causes the delay for the Western version..

Considering the game's been out in Japan for months now, is it possible Sega decides the cost of recasting isn't worth it and just pulls the game permanently?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the game's been out in Japan for months now, is it possible Sega decides the cost of recasting isn't worth it and just pulls the game permanently?
I don't think so if they are looking at a long run. Sega obviously want this to be a new franchise of the studio, so I don't think they would just pull the game permanently.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising about them pulling the game in Japan, but I forgot about the DLC as well...shit, guess we'll find out if this will affect Judgment's launch.

Pretty much it's all on SoJ and RGG Studio if they're going to change him in both the Japanese and Western versions. It MIGHT happen, but that would also require a lot of work.

I'm a tad surprised they didn't just outright ignore it, like with one of Kiwami 2's actor making a disparaging remark towards Koreans.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I think in order to not overreact, we should just jettison all visual media into space and stab out each other's eyeballs.

Last edited:

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Judge Eyes and KH3, as well as Frozen and the Frozen Short-movie DVDs back in the Amazon Top10.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Hah, oh wow, is KH3 going to get pulled by stores as well? I figured since Olaf was just a bit role with not much involvement it would escape unscathed.