• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
This. But I made it to the 5th dungeon if I recall, the game just felt like a complete boring slog at that point. I liked the more minimal dungeons, the towns in P3 and P4 were also significantly more charming than the Tokyo setting. The music in Persona 5 is also the most repetitive in any RPG this side of DQXI, ever since P3 the series has fewer and fewer tracks it seems. Persona 2 (both games), 3 and 4 are all some of my favorite JRPGs of all time but something got lost in 5 for me. Also the lack of portability kills it for me.

I'm also a big fan of Persona 2 IS and EP all the way down to 4. I don't like the way the series is going forward and I'm scared for SMT main series' future.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Another vote for Breath of the Wild, for all the reasons already mentioned.

And now it looks like botw2 is gonna possibly be reusing a modified botw world but it remains to be seen if they continue the weapon crap and add actual dungeons this time. This is probably the first time I'm not excited for a new Zelda game. Never thought the day would ever come.

The fact that they may be reusing the same map for the sequel does actually give me some hope that they'll focus more on things OTHER than just the open world; using that map and mechanics as the backdrop and then building a traditional Zelda game on top of it would be amazing. The problem with BotW was that all there was was the backdrop.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider (2013): This game simply proved that the developers have another vision for the games (And seeing dwindling sales, neither do many people), one I'm not interested in. I have to admit I still had some kind of hope they were just inexperienced from Legend to Underworld.

Nope, they double down on the most uninteresting aspects of their first post-AoD reboot. It's a Prince of Persia/Uncharted pastiche now, with WRPG elements, collectibles, an even more bland storyline, and a completely unrelatable and unlikeable main character to boot. Plus they got rid of everything iconic on Lara Croft. From twin pistols to her color scheme. That was like dressing Mario in a gray tunic and still promising his Cap after three origin games, all while putting him in a walking simulator.

At this point, I hope another dev, any other dev, come in and interpret Tomb Raider however they want. Classic TR is not coming back.
So give us a spectacular disaster or something. But new and fresh.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
I was initially put off by Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X in 2001... but after actually giving them a chance 4-5 years later, I discovered they're both great games. Being a baby over not getting exactly what you want, getting in the way of recognizing well-made games, is something one can grow out of. There's hope.

Also, I don't understand how anyone could like Resident Evil 7 but not REmake 2, or vice versa. /boggle
They're both fuckin' delightful, and two of my favorite games of the last 5 years, along with other things people are bringing up... MGSV, Sekiro...

My biggest let down this gen was Persona 5. It's not bad, but I put a lot of value on pacing... and this game's is HORRENDOUS (along with a number of smaller issues).

I'm looking forward to finally playing BotW, probably liking it quite a bit, and then being even more confused by other people's tastes.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
im not saying persona 5 is a departure because in many ways it is a natural progression of 4, but for me it was like hitting a brick wall to the extent that im probably done with persona period

honestly pokemon sun moon would also count for this but i want to see what the series is like on switch. if i feel just as bad about sword and shield well, guess i am also done with mainline pokemon

so it goes

worth noting i havent liked a single player final fantasy since 12 came out because i hate 12 and have zero interest in 13 or 15 but i still would give the series a chance if a new game were a bit more classic. that being said i may be asking for something ridiculous, because if the series is more successful now than ever, i doubt it will be getting back to the way i would prefer

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Final Fantasy might be the biggest one. FFXIII is what did it. I just don't see hope for the franchise going for. XIII was the first bad game in the franchise to me. I've played every FF and XIII was just legitimately bad as a game and especially rpg by my definition of the standard. I didn't get XIII-2, or LR, and skipped XIV initially. I got XV and while I thought it was a step up from XIII (anything is tbh) it still ultimately left me cold. I'm not hopeful at all for the franchise and there's no XVI to look forward to. People keep telling me to play XIV though, and I'm considering just that but I worry how long it'll take to catch up since I'm starting so late in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
BOTW

• Poor combat in comparison to Wind Waker and TP
  • Poor and short dungeons
  • Lack of enemies
  • Meaningless exploration
  • Barren
  • Poor story
  • Felt like a tech demo
Im astonished that Im not jumping out of my chair for a new zelda but BOTW was very lackluster to me.

Hopefully they evolve it and take some of the criticisms to heart. The combat needs a MAJOR update as it was really bad in BOTW. Im really hoping BOTW2 is amazing.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Street Fighter V
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Resident Evil 5&6
Paper Mario franchise
Mario and Luigi franchise

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII.

I hated the game play and worse I hated the main character Squall. He was not remotely likeable. Why anyone would want to be buds or think he was a leader is beyond me. The guy is a class a douche bag at best and I never before in FF wanted to kill the main character more than I wanted to kill him. Anyone else would have been a better choice. The romance stunk too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
this very rarely happens to me (I love all of the experimentation in FF and Zelda) but Paper Mario Color Splash did manage to push me away. Sticker Star I was fine with, I just viewed that as a one-off, but when they basically continued down that road? I was done. Even the writing, which a lot of people seem to like, really irritated me and didn't feel like it belonged in Paper Mario.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
personally I want a third person perspective and the type of platforming and powers that can come from that and I want a game focused on exploration and atmosphere rather than the absolute mess of Other M

I agree. In first-person, you simply are going to make compromises with the platforming that is associated with Metroid too. Prime is probably my pick too.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Dawn of Mana. The poor reception was also probably what ended the series in terms of AAA titles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this very rarely happens to me (I love all of the experimentation in FF and Zelda) but Paper Mario Color Splash did manage to push me away. Sticker Star I was fine with, I just viewed that as a one-off, but when they basically continued down that road? I was done. Even the writing, which a lot of people seem to like, really irritated me and didn't feel like it belonged in Paper Mario.
I honestly think Color Splash has a worse battle system than Sticker Star. Can't believe how hard it is to just do a single normal attack in that game.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Jam. Not due to it stripping out the character, but because it became rather trite, and rather resentful in the long run that it wasn't the series chosen to be the experimental vs Paper Mario. In a weird way, it's the polar opposite of how I feel about Pokemon, where I feel like it shouldve done more to retain features, Mario and Luigi shouldve done away with mechanics that felt more like a one time mechanic.

Batman Arkham series: Origins being incomplete on Wii U damaged it in my eyes, but I wasnt a fan of Knight's mechanics. The Riddler requirements killed my desire to really touch the series anymore.

Actually, Wii U's gamepad requirement ruined Color Splash for me

Pokemon is almost at the break off point.

I don't drop off of series too much otherwise.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Crysis 2 is hot fucking garbage compared to either of its predecessors. The franchise never recovered after that.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Waiting for a few characters for over a decade continue to be shit upon by being Assist Trophies (and for the record, Waluigi can go die in a fire) for Sakurai to mock fans for. Bullshit "consolation prizes" for fans of ARMS and Xenoblade 2 (me within the latter). Fans feeling "vindicated" for the stupid ass box theory of the lame as fuck Kenceniroar and shitting on fans for waiting characters either not in the game or regulated as shitty ass Assist Trophies.

Fuck Smash, fuck it's trash fire of a fan base, and fuck Sakurai.
"My favorite niche character didn't get in so fuck the entire thing"

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Just not a fan of what a few recent games have been doing.

welp. I feel you, even though I did believe in the box. The consolation prizes soured me more now that I've seen their DLC picks, with them going for a very recent character and a dormant IP. Feels like the justifications made to AT/Mii Costume other characters don't have the legs to stand on anymore.

The hero from DQ is a "very recent" character?

DQ is more important to Japanese game history than just about every series represented in Smash— full stop.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
MGS3. After MGS2, it was very inoffensive and I didn't like Naked as a protag. MGS4 killed the franchise for me even more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"My favorite niche character didn't get in so fuck the entire thing"
let people vent

The hero from DQ is a "very recent" character?

DQ is more important to Japanese game history than just about every series represented in Smash— full stop.
I was talking about Joker when talking about recent character. If you read my posts in Smash threads over the last year, I always said Dragon Quest was the most deserving third party possible by its historical significancy to japanese gaming, its genre and even pop media culture (the whole hero/yuusha vs demon lord/maou thing). I always pick 1st party over 3rd for a slot, but if I had to give it to a 3rd party one it would be DQ. I even called the Hero thing back then.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't happen all in one go, but the combination of Fallout 3 / 4 and 76 have killed any love I once had for the Fallout franchise forever. Also freed me from forcing myself through the TES games that I've never liked just because I wanted to see how the tech / studio was going in their work.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
MGSV in a big way. In fact it turned me of so much I'm a bit hesitant with Death Stranding and any future Kojima games.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I honestly do not understand the Uncharted 3 hate. I loved the more personal focus on Drake, as well as the desert theme. I found the story very interesting personally, and nothing about it seemed like that egregious of a departure from 1 & 2.

As for my answer: Gears of War 2. I was already kinda "meh" on it as I played it, hoping it would get better. Then there was this action sequence where you had to get a worm thing to break open part of a cave wall so you could drive through it to proceed. Well, the worm came and -- nothing, no broken wall. Tried reloading previous saves several times and same result. Later I read online that you had to restart the mission completely to get past it. Since I was already not enamored with it, I just said "Screw it!" and stopped playing. Haven't touched a GrsoW game since.