• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if you can play the version on the PS5 disk, without patching it? Or will the game force you to patch? Also, is the version on disk the one with near perfect performance?

Jun 12, 2018
AC Valhalla Patch Notes:

Buff:
-XSS

Nerf:
-PS5
-XSX
perfectly-balanced-as-all-things-should-be.jpg

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know if you can play the version on the PS5 disk, without patching it? Or will the game force you to patch? Also, is the version on disk the one with near perfect performance?
You're never forced to patch, you can cancel the patch install but you'll need to make sure you turn off automatic updates as well. You'll be missing the day one patch though and any fixes that contained. I'd try the game with the latest patch first and if you really think you'll notice a difference after trying it, just reinstall from the disc fresh.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Loaded up the game on PS5 and I don't notice any frame rate drops so far. Seems perfectly fine to me. Took a torch out and it's still fine.

It's totally ridiculous that when you switch between quality and performance mode the game has to load entirely from the beginning, back to opening title screens. I expected having to reload the checkpoint at worse.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
You try optimising and testing 8 versions of the same game during a pandemic whilst the whole team is working remotely from home.

Man some of the posts in this topic are completely embarrassing.
That's a bit unfair. People paid money for it, why do they get saddled with the burden of something Ubi didn't do well?

It's like when a developer goes through hell to get a game done, it doesn't review well, and they complain and bring up why and want review scores changed. Doesn't ultimately matter things got shitty, a consumer pays for that game regardless.

Either have a patch that works or don't have it. Not so different to release the game when it's ready, or don't.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else playing this game on PS5 with the PS4 physical copy?

I'm having a problem where EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn on the PS5, it starts to copy the PS4 edition of the game from the disc. Every time. And I have to go into the downloads list and cancel the install. I don't get it.

Edit: I just clicked to unfollow the PS4 version that shows up every time I turn the system on, and it seems to have maybe fixed the issue? At least it's not installing this time when I turned the system on. So that's promising.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not right now while prices are still high, but if it becomes within means to get a VRR-compatible display sometime down the road, I do highly recommend it if your display is going to be used mostly for gaming. It's been a killer feature for years on PC and it saves some of the odd little quirks with this game and has the potential to save others down the line, too.

Just like PC, I would not mind "VRR Performance" modes where it's tuned to just run kinda rampant above 60fps. On my gaming laptop (which has a FreeSync display), running Doom Eternal with gradual fluctuations between 80fps and 120fps (the display's max) is pretty damn sublime and it looks and feels completely solid with VRR engaged. You can still feel really harsh dips, like if the reduction from 120 to 80fps in Doom Eternal was instantaneous and not gradual it'd be very noticeable, but since it isn't, it feels like I'm just playing a consistently smooth game. I have a similar experience with Gears 5 on my laptop as well, which runs anywhere between 60fps and 85fps on near max settings (1080p) -- completely feels smooth and consistent thanks the VRR, despite the fluctuations.

AC Valhalla on Xbox Series X looks and feels fine other than cutscene stutter, before and after this patch, to me because I'm playing on an LG CX. It is a premium display with a premium price, but do investigate options in your budget later down the road when it inevitably becomes more affordable -- it's such a great feature for gaming.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else playing this game on PS5 with the PS4 physical copy?

I'm having a problem where EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn on the PS5, it starts to copy the PS4 edition of the game from the disc. Every time. And I have to go into the downloads list and cancel the install. I don't get it.

This is stupid shit. I get around this by literally having an external hard drive, filling it up enough so there's not enough room to install AC Valhalla PS4 version, and setting my PS5 to install PS4 games to external drive. Then I just get an error message saying not enough room to install rather than it trying to install the stupid game. Sony should really fix this problem. Have the PS5 version install a dummy 5mb PS4 install or something for the check, I don't know.

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded up the game on PS5 and I don't notice any frame rate drops so far. Seems perfectly fine to me. Took a torch out and it's still fine.

It's totally ridiculous that when you switch between quality and performance mode the game has to load entirely from the beginning, back to opening title screens. I expected having to reload the checkpoint at worse.

why is this ridiculous? every game & engine is different.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
can automatic updates on PS5 be disabled on a game-by-game basis? Or will I have to shut off updates for everything, or just deny the patch each time I play?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
While I 100% hope it gets fixed, cause this sucks for people that bought the game, after the trash fire the DF thread about ACV was, I find this absolutely hilarious.

Mayyyyyybe we shouldn't read too much into how these games are running on their respective systems?
Please stop trying to be rationale about titles and systems that are two weeks old!

Oct 31, 2017
You try optimising and testing 8 versions of the same game during a pandemic whilst the whole team is working remotely from home.

Man some of the posts in this topic are completely embarrassing.
Then why not leave the game the way it was before on PS5? Why bother "optimizing" the PS5 version only to make it worse? What's the point?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I 100% hope it gets fixed, cause this sucks for people that bought the game, after the trash fire the DF thread about ACV was, I find this absolutely hilarious.

Mayyyyyybe we shouldn't read too much into how these games are running on their respective systems?
Please stop trying to be rationale about titles and systems that are two weeks old!

So do you both think the sort of near parity we're seeing in multi-platform games between the two systems is likely to change? Or just that in future the PS5 will never have the better version?

Because my guess is that the rest of the gen we'll likely see similar differences between versions as these launch titles, eg minor differences with advantages alternating between either platform (though in future potentially more titles likely going in favour of the XSX, maybe lol).

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately feel like the audio is even worse after this patch

NPCs are either insanely quiet or so loud it blows out my headphones, the quality is absolutely horrid, the mixing is legitimately the worst I have EVER heard in a AAA game.

This is straight up unacceptable. Has Ubi even acknowledged that it's a problem? I don't think I'm going to make it through this game unless they fix it. I can't enjoy this game with headphones when I have to turn up the volume to hear NPCs just to have my ears blown out by a wolf barking and not even being able to tell where it's from because the directional audio is completely fucking busted.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, but at the minimum you QA test your new patch and simply don't release it for the PS5 if it makes it run worse. It's not difficult. Any site can run a frame rate analysis in a matter of minutes, so why can't Ubisoft?

Honestly this excuse doesn't cut it, because Ubisoft don't have to release a patch for every system, especially when one version was already running fine.

Frame rate analysis within a matter of minutes from console captures?
I am sure you are discounting the extraordinary hard work and time which goes into this, please stop marking down the effort it takes to make such analysis.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Been trying to calmly say this in all the threads all week. We'll have zero idea how these consoles can perform for 6+ months.

It seems clear MS has some tools issues and also a bunch of cross gen games came out during a global pandemic. Like did we benchmark PS4 or Xbone capabilities off of Black Flag?

They are both very very capable boxes and I am enjoying my time with both of them.

The only real lesson of the early launch is PS5 needs that VRR stat. I've been playing this game since launch and it's butter smooth on my CX despite being a year fest on the XSX.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Frame rate analysis within a matter of minutes?
I am sure you are discounting the extraordinary hard work and time which goes into this, please stop marking down the effort it takes to make such analysis.

Of course, it was a figure of speech. My meaning was that you just play a few segments of the game with the frame rate analysis readings on (exactly as these YouTube channels have been doing), and if the performance is notably worse (eg drops to 40fps where previously there were none), you simply don't release the patch. The act of doing this with the subsequent gear, isn't something that should be beyond the purview of Ubisofts QA testing, obviously.

The cutscenes have to be a weird bug. It's the only stutter I have on my CX77 with VRR. I'm guessing it's loading assets in the background or dropping frames or something real weird. Unless the FPS is hitting sub 40FPS which it shouldn't given that these scenes are often less taxing than gameplay.

Digital Foundry covered this in their analysis, I think the Series X version has some weird camera frame timing glitch. Surprised they didn't sort it in this patch, bit afaik it isn't performance related.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Cutscenes still stuttering on Series X .... I dont know wthats happen here

The cutscenes have to be a weird bug. It's the only stutter I have on my CX77 with VRR. I'm guessing it's loading assets in the background or dropping frames or something real weird. Unless the FPS is hitting sub 40FPS which it shouldn't given that these scenes are often less taxing than gameplay.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, this is a weird complaint, but has anyone else noticed that certain effects (birds around sync points, smoke indoors, some fires) appear to be animating at half the frames of the game?

They are like moving in slow motion and it's weird looking.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
That's all I'm saying.

Cross gen launch titles on brand new hardware in a pandemic were never going to give us a representative idea of how things would measure up. If the game had launched *this* way, very few would have realised that the performance issues in the PS5 version are a bug. I pointed to one of the performance dips in the DF footage as looking more like a bug than anything else (namely when those people burst through that doorway) and no one took me seriously.

Then you have the performance bug in ray tracing mode on COD. The 120hz bug on DMC5. The LOD bug on Dirt 5.

Seems like every cross gen launch title launched in a state that needed at least another couple of weeks of polish on one or both consoles before it'd even be starting to get close to running how it should.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This game is an absolute mess, glad I returned my copy last week.

NPCs are either insanely quiet or so loud it blows out my headphones, the quality is absolutely horrid, the mixing is legitimately the worst I have EVER heard in a AAA game.

This is straight up unacceptable. Has Ubi even acknowledged that it's a problem? I don't think I'm going to make it through this game unless they fix it. I can't enjoy this game with headphones when I have to turn up the volume to hear NPCs just to have my ears blown out by a wolf barking and not even being able to tell where it's from because the directional audio is completely fucking busted.

Making the sound quality even worse somehow would be impressive.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Right now, I'm glad I'm just renting from Gamefly. Besides, with the current situation, I don't want to give Ubisoft my money.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Maybe something specific to headphones? Played for a few hours today and didn't notice any audio differences, though I'm just using the speakers on my TV.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The sound sampling is really uneven in this game. I'm actually wondering if some voice actors especially for lesser used NPCs wasn't done remotely and not in studio due to the pandemic.

Some of it sounds fine, some of it sounds extram compressed.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something specific to headphones? Played for a few hours today and didn't notice any audio differences, though I'm just using the speakers on my TV.

It very well could be, and that could explain why this doesn't seem to be as widespread as an issue as it'd seem to me. There's quite a few threads on reddit, but as far as I've seen Ubi hasn't even acknowledged it's an issue.

Odyssey didn't have this issue though. Valhalla is so bad with headphones that it's almost unplayable for me. Everything keeps throwing me off. And I'm not an audiophile by any means. I'm on PC and I don't have speakers, so... welp.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Wow, while I'm obviously not glad this has happened, it's made me reconsider my purchase to 'some time in the future' when all this performance crap is resolved satisfactorily.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
So, couple questions:
1. Has DF/anyone else told us what relative settings the XSX/PS5 version used compared to PC graphical options? The game runs better for me post patch on PC and looks as good at 1440p as XSX does at 4k, with better shadows, et al.
2. Is the tearing issue not very obvious early in the game? I am literally like 30 minutes in and I just keep wandering around the opening province testing stuff because I can't decide what platform to play on. I notice very little tearing on my budget TCL 4k gaming TV, and (of course) absolutely none on my LG OLED. HDR is strangely overpowering bright though.

Curious if anyone has any info on this stuff. I actually bought both versions, then rented the disc version from gamefly and did a month of uplay plus on PC (for this and Watch Dogs) to test. So far, I am not actually any closer to deciding what version to play.

Oh - post script though - the cross progression works absolutely flawlessly for me so far - super cool feature. Wish they would include a PC copy with console purchase like MS does - would likely get me to buy digital at full price ASAP if they did instead of getting discs with intent to resell.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I find it ironic that the Series S is now the best performing version when many used this game as "evidence" the Series S would hold back this generation or not be able to maintain framerate parity.

Really impressed by how stable the 60fps mode is on Series S. The PS5 version will definitely get patched, we know it's capable of a lot more.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Pop-in does seem like it might be a little worse on PS5 to me but I can't say for sure. It's really distracting seeing something like a horse's saddle pop in.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, this is a weird complaint, but has anyone else noticed that certain effects (birds around sync points, smoke indoors, some fires) appear to be animating at half the frames of the game?

They are like moving in slow motion and it's weird looking.
Always like that since day 1.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
The only problem I have with the game and I believe with the update is just the audio the dialogue sounds so low and the sounds for an attack just doesnt seem loud enough. They really got fix that, same problem in Odyssey

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
So uh....how's the PC version post patch ?

My audio just completely died when I went into photo mode. Came back out and audio didn't come back. Ran around for about 5 seconds and then the game completely hardlocked. Had to go into task manager just to be able to close it.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
People should realise the hard job developers have now supporting 6 or so platforms. Making all this stuff run "equally good" on all platforms is a nightmare, everything has dependencies.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Another new improvement i noticed with quality mode. Snow looks ALOT better. Like its night and day. Snow actually looks like snow and just not globs of white plastic.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Reading your impressions I have a feeling there are 126 versions of this game, based on improved/worse comments.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Uhhh . I think Ubisoft has completely broken the AI in this game for the PC at least ..... Enemy does not react to my stealth, I was able to take out an entire camp because they were just standing still without attacking me despite me walking past them or assasinating people right in front of them. They were in complete unaware phase, even had the same instance with a mission where I had to kill some bears, the bears spawned but were supposed to attack me, but I had to go to them and kill them and they were completely unaware that I was there.

It feels like the previous build was far more stable tbh becaues this just breaks all immersion lol.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine first getting the XSX version, then the DF video drops and you exchange your game with PS5 version. Then they make it worse lmao what a low blow.