• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
What if its Street Fighter V for next gen and the reason you don't auto qualify is because its on PS5 instead of PS4? I mean street fighter VI next year kinda makes sense, but it also somehow feels too soon.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
See sales of SF4 please.
Then compare to 5.

6 better be on as many platforms as possible.

I am a die hard sf fan but locking it on ps4 killed me playing...why? I prefer to play with my friends...they all own only xbox. It was a god damn tragedy it was exclusive.
I don't disagree with the exclusivity, but at the same time the sales of SFIV are inflated.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Interesting. This may not indicate a new Street Fighter in 2021 tho, because I still don't see them announcing SFVI in 2020. It may indicate a new Capcom fighter as the marquee Capcom Pro Tour title.

Like Mahvel. Or some other crossover game.
Like I said...
If it was something other than Street Fighter, they would still allow the winner of Capcom Cup 2020 to auto-qualify for Capcom Cup 2021 since SFV would still be played going into 2021 in your scenario. That plus, as far as Capcom fighting games go, SF usually comes first.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
People playing on Xbox as part of the online player pool is the community. As others have noted, the tourney scene will always be there. Your comments just sound like console war stuff to me, honestly.
I just want more money for the Pro Tour, money that will flow to the Premier events like Combo Breaker, CEO, and EVO which are grassroots events. I see that as more important than Xbox console players. If Xbox console players didn't jump on SFV on PS4 or PC then they really aren't interested.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3096746c8873eb9c599be4ee832fecffe301060er1-300-235v2_uhq.jpg
SDRcrZH.png

🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
You're most likely in for a terrible next generation in terms of SF. Early rumours within the FGC is that 6 is PS exclusive.
Where are rumors like these floating around?
Interesting. This may not indicate a new Street Fighter in 2021 tho, because I still don't see them announcing SFVI in 2020. It may indicate a new Capcom fighter as the marquee Capcom Pro Tour title instead.

Like Mahvel. Or some other crossover game.

The other way around is much more likely.
Marvel 4 came out last year. It bombed hard, commercially and critically. The whole Disney garbage definitely left a bad taste in Capcom's mouth (even if they changed their ways almost immediately after), and we know how stingy the fighting game division is in the first place. We're not getting another MvC until the end of next gen most likely.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Where are rumors like these floating around?

Marvel 4 came out last year. It bombed hard, commercially and critically. The whole Disney garbage definitely left a bad taste in Capcom's mouth (even if they changed their ways almost immediately after), and we know how stingy the fighting game division is in the first place. We're not getting another MvC until the end of next gen most likely.

MvCI came out 2 years ago. It will be almost 4 years old in Q1 2021.

This is besides the point because I don't think this rule change really means a new game at all. I think the only thing fa sho confirmed here is CPT 2021 being a thing.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
If it's coming this early i doubt it has:
- A complete tutorial (like Guilty Gear).
- Thick single player content.

I really hope it has, in the very least:
- Correctly implemented rollback netcode.

MvCI came out 2 years ago. It will be almost 4 years old in Q1 2021.

This is besides the point because I don't think this rule change really means a new game at all. I think the only thing fa sho confirmed here is CPT 2021 being a thing.

source.gif

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
You're most likely in for a terrible next generation in terms of SF. Early rumours within the FGC is that 6 is PS exclusive.
Well if that is the case then I won't buy it at all. Let alone the two copies and dlcs packs I bought for 5. I would actually go as far as boycotting all capcom games next gen because fuck them if they go this route.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All ya'll people complaining about the art style ever got to say is Ken's Character Select face. I knew it was coming because it's the only thing people repeat. Ignoring that he looks amazing 98% of the time.

Some bad angles aside, SF5 continues to to have some of the best looking, best animated, and best effects in a fighting game. The only graphical blemish, for me, is some of the stages and the hair clipping.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Keep in mind, this CPT season is broken into two qualifying halves. That change alone could be why they don't have CPT champ auto-qual for the following season.

Regardless, I think what I said above is the more likely reason. I think they're restructuring the Pro Tour in general.
But even with the split this year, we still have auto-qualification for Capcom Cup. Wouldn't it function the same going into 2021 in theory?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But even with the split this year, we still have auto-qualification for Capcom Cup. Wouldn't it function the same going into 2021 in theory?

They had to give Idom the auto-qualification for 2020 because they didn't announce it during this CPT season. This entire season we knew the champ would be auto-qualified next year. They couldn't take that back last minute.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Often when people argue against PS exclusivity for SF6 make some version of the following statement...

"Capcom was broke but now they're not, so making 6 and exclusive to PS doesn't make sense."

Quick question, how broke were WB, Activision, EA, UBI, and Disney this generation? Take a look at what they carved out of their own ip and gave away as exclusive content for PS. Disney, one of the most profitable companies on the planet, not only gave Sony free range of their IP to chose from but also gave them exclusivity in the process.

Sure SF6 could be multiplat but PS' leverage this generation seems to be instal. If XBOX crushes it next generation I have no doubt 6 will be on Series X. But if next gen mirrors this gen don't be surprised to see SF6 go exclusive.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Often when people argue against PS exclusivity for SF6 make some version of the following statement...

"Capcom was broke but now they're not, so making 6 and exclusive to PS doesn't make sense."

Quick question, how broke were WB, Activision, EA, UBI, and Disney this generation? Take a look at what they carved out of their own ip and gave away as exclusive content for PS. Disney, one of the most profitable companies on the planet, not only gave Sony free range of their IP to chose from but also gave them exclusivity in the process.

Sure SF6 could be multiplat but PS' leverage this generation seems to be instal. If XBOX crushes it next generation I have no doubt 6 will be on Series X. But if next gen mirrors this gen don't be surprised to see SF6 go exclusive.

This line of thought doesn't make much sense since any exclusivity deal for a capcom game releasing in 2021 would have to be in place before anybody knows how the generation is going to play out.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They had to give Idom the auto-qualification for 2020 because they didn't announce it during this CPT season. This entire season we knew the champ would be auto-qualified next year. They couldn't take that back last minute.
But it's structured in a way where auto-qualifying could still be a thing going into 2021. It's possible that this could be part of the new structure. But between how CE is being laid out, the lack of any mention of more characters after the Olympics (Ono did mention a freeze, but he didn't specify if we'd just get a balance patch afterwards or legit new characters), & this, the possibility that this could mean SFVI is on the horizon can't be immediately dismissed. It's why I put a question mark for the statement "A sign of Street Fighter VI coming in 2021", it's to acknowledge that the possibility is somewhat strengthened.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

The deal for V was before we had any idea of how the xbox one would sell. There's even a rumour that Capcom approached MS first, but MS turned them down because they had Killer Instinct.

Disney went to Sony because Sony has a history of making the type and quality of game that Disney/Marvel were looking for. It was the same when they went with Nintendo for Ultimate Alliance 3.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The deal for V was before we had any idea of how the xbox one would sell. There's even a rumour that Capcom approached MS first, but MS turned them down because they had Killer Instinct.

Disney went to Sony because Sony has a history of making the type and quality of game that Disney/Marvel were looking for. It was the same when they went with Nintendo for Ultimate Alliance 3.
And even then, that was Marvel Games making those deals, as they have more autonomy for such deals compared to, say, Lucasfilm.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But it's structured in a way where auto-qualifying could still be a thing going into 2021. It's possible that this could be part of the new structure. But between how CE is being laid out, the lack of any mention of more characters after the Olympics (Ono did mention a freeze, but he didn't specify if we'd just get a balance patch afterwards or legit new characters), & this, the possibility that this could mean SFVI is on the horizon can't be immediately dismissed. It's why I put a question mark for the statement "A sign of Street Fighter VI coming in 2021", it's to acknowledge that the possibility is somewhat strengthened.

I'm not saying it's impossible SFVI drops in 2021. Just doesn't seem to be the likeliest possibility.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not saying it's impossible SFVI drops in 2021. Just doesn't seem to be the likeliest possibility.
I'd personally prefer that they take one more year to work on the game. But as someone who was on the Early 2022 train, it's starting to seem like we may get it earlier. But I guess we'll see either way.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, SF6 in 2021 totally makes sense to me.

SFV has had a long competitive life and it's pretty obvious that Champion Edition is designed to be an End-of-Life compilation or else they wouldn't have included hundreds of costume DLCs for $30.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Closest I can find off a quick search. Definitely no confirmation, but Phil (in hindsight and damage control ofc) clearly says that even if he got the offer, KI would've been top priority.

Aww man, that top priority for KI!

Such high priority, the devs openly admitted that bugs that have been there since season 1 weren't fixed cause they weren't given enough budget to prioritize those particular bugs over the more game breaking ones.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It always made sense to me until Ono said a few months ago that they haven't started working on the next SF.

But it's Ono so I don't know why I bothered.
Ono also said the last character in USF4 wasn't someone anyone had predicted at that point and tons upon tons of people had already predicted Decapre because of the ability to use Cammy's character model.

don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Closest I can find off a quick search. Definitely no confirmation, but Phil (in hindsight and damage control ofc) clearly says that even if he got the offer, KI would've been top priority.

Thanks. Seems pretty clear to me. Capcom put the offer to both, MS declined, Sony didn't. Reminiscent of Platinum approaching both with Bayo2 before Nintendo agreed.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think it would happen but I wanted SF6 to come in 2021. This hint is pretty strong. Along with the fact that they're going to release CE early next year as a final compilation of everything released for the game, I think it's very likely we will get SF6 or a replacement FG for CPT 2021. I'm a SF guy only so I don't want anything other than SF6 personally.

Capcom Pro Tour 2020's current structure (as reference)
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For reference, this is the current structure of the 2020 Capcom Pro Tour.

CC2020_4PathsInfographic4-1024x576.jpg

With the way this is structured, it wouldn't be that hard to just let this rock going into 2021 in theory. Is it possible that they may want to do more changes going into 2021 for the sake of it, sure. But this is already a pretty big change, & one that seems pretty solid in terms of trying new things (the two seasons tied to the Global Leaderboard & the World Warrior Challenge) while also retaining some of the old stuff (auto-entry for the previous CC winner & the last-chance qualifier).