OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
SF6 vanilla is not going to be as pathetic of a package SF5 vanilla, but because the game will be around for the entire generation you can pretty much expect a bare-bones minimal launch
I'd expect a decent amount of modes at launch to avoid another Day 1 SFV disaster, but the roster is probably gonna be around SFV's size at launch if Capcom start from scratch as they usually do for new numbered SF entries.

I mean yeah, why not? Let SF V ride the CPT until at least 2021
I meant letting SFV rock for CPT 2021, ending its run in 2022 for that scenario.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what else is gonna keep the CPT going (unless you mean let SFV keep the spotlight for another year)?
I mean they need to launch another fighting game that isnt SFVI like Marvel. SF can give up the spotlight for a year or two and have SFV be the secondary game of the show.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If it's in 2021, I hope SFV is done in terms of characters with Seth. It would suck for a character you have been waiting for to drop the year before they/everyone moves on. (Rose, Oro, Makoto, etc)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you there, I'd prefer to let the game sit in the oven a little more to ensure a solid amount of content at launch.
Right?
SF6 vanilla is not going to be as pathetic of a package SF5 vanilla, but because the game will be around for the entire generation you can pretty much expect a bare-bones minimal launch
Are you familiar with Capcpom, by any chance. Not Capcom, but Capcpom, their fighting game division.
I'm not even talking an omega-sized roster, just basic QOL shit. To have stuff like SFV's current, super-robust training mode or its fully-featured lobbies day one.
Eh, it might be pretty far along for all we know. I just want something different after al this time.

But is it though. It's not like the team has been sitting around with their thumbs up their collective asses, they've been working on SFV.

An early 2021 release would be earlier into the generation than either SF4 or SFV were.
And it would have to be early 2021, because it'd have to release before the Capcom Pro Tour starts. For that matter, there would have to be a beta period next year in 2020 as well (they absolutely CANNOT release this thing out in the wild without testing it). But how are they gonna do that if it's a next-gen only game anyways when the consoles aren't even out?

Honestly 2021 just seems too early to me.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Right?

Are you familiar with Capcpom, by any chance. Not Capcom, but Capcpom, their fighting game division.
I'm not even talking an omega-sized roster, just basic QOL shit. To have stuff like SFV's current, super-robust training mode or its fully-featured lobbies day one.

But is it though. It's not like the team has been sitting around with their thumbs up their collective asses, they've been working on SFV.

An early 2021 release would be earlier into the generation than either SF4 or SFV were.
And it would have to be early 2021, because it'd have to release before the Capcom Pro Tour starts. For that matter, there would have to be a beta period next year in 2020 as well (they absolutely CANNOT release this thing out in the wild without testing it). But how are they gonna do that if it's a next-gen only game anyways when the consoles aren't even out?

Honestly 2021 just seems too early to me.
I hope they get it more right ( for me) than they did with V. Just wishful thinking for me on the release.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please don't make it PS4 exclusive. The built in Controller lag of the system really made the game feel sluggish online

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are you telling me a new Rival Schools or a Darkstalkers WOULDN'T set the world on fire in 2021?
I've accepted it Luce :( darkstalkers would sell 250K at most and rival schools would be lucky to hit 100K. With today's budgets, unless you just wanted an HD Dreamcast game .... you won't get a proper sequel to that old stuff. Oh how I'd love to be wrong about darkstalkers though :(

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It's crazy that SFVI could be coming within one year of Champion Edition -- I'm sure there is a lot that can change in the meta over even two years as players get familiar with the new V-Skills and balance changes. A Laura and Poison won Capcom Cup so lots to explore even now!

Godfall is a launch title & it isn't cross-gen, so it's still possible that SFVI could be exclusively next-gen if it's out in Early 2021. Considering that & the fact that Capcom doesn't usually do cross-gen for their fighting games, I wouldn't worry too much.

I would imagine that next generation consoles will sell at an even slower rate than current gen due to the higher price tag. Fighting games are not technically demanding so I would much rather they be cross-gen to maximize player base from the get-go.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SFVI multi-plat with potential Switch port I wonder?
I hope so. Console exclusivity for fighters is never a good idea. They're already pretty niche as it is. I feel like if Capcom wasn't throwing money at players the game wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. Might've been the first time I heard players admit to not liking the game they play for a living.

Main point being that having a larger pool of players would help these games survive. Guilty gear looks dope but it'll be dead online in a few months. Always is

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they need to launch another fighting game that isnt SFVI like Marvel. SF can give up the spotlight for a year or two and have SFV be the secondary game of the show.
Even of it's a secondary game why wouldn't the 2020 winner not auto qualify?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that SFVI would see a Switch release. Hell, I don't think the odds of PS4/XB1 versions are very good. It's probably gonna be PS5/Xbox/PC.

Yeah. Honestly I feel like people should accept not that when Next-Gen starts, Switch is going to see even less ports unless there is a Switch 2 or something in 2021/22.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect a decent amount of modes at launch to avoid another Day 1 SFV disaster, but the roster is probably gonna be around SFV's size at launch if Capcom start from scratch as they usually do for new numbered SF entries.

My hope for VI is Capcom takes a page from Nintendo and re-uses assets from the prior game to speed up development. The character models and animations in V are for the most part fantastic; all the characters would need for VI is more detailed textures.

Alchemist

Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked to see an announcement at Capcom Cup instead of a Seth reveal if 2021 is the targeted release year.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
What modern games has capcom made that are PS4/XB1/Switch?

Given that, why would anybody assume Switch would get a game that is PS5/XSX/Switch? lol

Because it would be cool if Switch owners got to play a game too? I don't see the complexity in this hypothetical I proposed or for it to be a reason to be flippant. I'll play it where it releases but think a portable edition would be fun.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Because it would be cool if Switch owners got to play a game too? I don't see the complexity in this hypothetical I proposed or for it to be a reason to be flippant. I'll play it where it releases but think a portable edition would be fun.
But the power gap between the next-gen systems & the Switch will be too wide for SFVI to be a realistic possibility for the Switch if the game is indeed next-gen only.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
But the power gap between the next-gen systems & the Switch will be too wide for SFVI to be a realistic possibility for the Switch if the game is indeed next-gen only.

True, I was thinking more in lines of Street Fighter VI: Portable or some sort of neutered portable edition. Not a 1:1 port.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that confirms a 2021 release, yeah. Feels too soon since we haven't seen a single thing about it yet... but hopefully they learned from the backlash to SFV's rushed release.

If 2021 really is the release year, there's no way they can wait until CC 2020 (December 2020) to reveal it. Hopefully it'll show up at a Microsoft or Sony event before that.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me Darkstalkers. Look at that Gill Pyron Skin!

Legit gives me migraines. I wish we could turn shit like that off.

I'm not being flippant. I'm legitimately asking why that would be an expectation anybody has when it rarely (if ever) even happens with Capcom this generation.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
And once again we'll get ~16 characters at launch, lol.

I just hope the gameplay will be slightly different. I just can't get the timing in SF5 right. I mess up simplest strings. I had less problems with combos in SF4 which people tell me is considered harder.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
But Sony stopped sponsoring the CPT since 2018.
Through Sony the CPT got to its current $600,000 prize pool and had the PSX venue to use. It also had the live.playstation.com hosted livestreams where free Fight Money was given out for watching. I would like to see the same thing happen again (CPT prize pool growth, better Capcom Cup venue if PSX returns, and free in-game currency).
No, we don't need that again. Bring it to PS5, Xbox, and PC with crossplay to reach as many people as possible.
I'm not against more people playing. Regardless, the core competitive scene is already using the PS platform so no Xbox is probably not a huge loss.
Sony hasn't helped with the pro tour in years. Weird to go all fanboy over something Capcom should be doing themselves.
Unfortunately, Capcom is pretty cheap when it comes to the CPT expenses - see this year's Capcom Cup for proof. Sony's help was great for the CPT and its players for the reasons I stated above.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And once again we'll get ~16 characters at launch, lol.

I just hope the gameplay will be slightly different. I just can't get the timing in SF5 right. I mess up simplest strings. I had less problems with combos in SF4 which people tell me is considered harder.

I legit cannot comprehend how this would happen, lol.

And the gameplay between each mainline SF is entirely different. It won't be long before SF6 is garbage and, you know what, SF5 was actually great. Really great. Was it the best fighter ever? Maybe. Maybe it was.

Through Sony the Tour got to its current $600,000 prize pool and had the PSX venue to use.

I'm not against more people playing. Regardless, the core competitive scene is already using the PS platform so no Xbox is probably not a huge loss.

Unfortunately, Capcom is pretty cheap when it comes to the CPT expenses - see this year's Capcom Cup for proof. Sony's help was great for the CPT and is players for the reasons I stated above.

Except...Sony only helped the first year (maybe the first two, I forget). This is year 4. Shit happens. Don't think it had much to do with Sony. And the 600k prize pool came partially from CPT packs. It's been 500k every year throughout the tour with and without Sony.

And, honestly, I give zero fucks about the competitive scene. That'll happen regardless. I care more about SF continuing to get the love and support it needs to thrive, and that is more likely to happen with more people able to purchase the game.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I feel Capcom on this. I wanted Punk to win too.

Joking aside, this seems pretty damn convincing to me, as evidence goes. I hope the art is better and the roster is stronger this time.

Oct 25, 2017
No, we don't need that again. Bring it to PS5, Xbox, and PC with crossplay to reach as many people as possible.
Sony hasn't helped with the pro tour in years. Weird to go all fanboy over something Capcom should be doing themselves.
Lol that was definitely sarcastic
Edit: Wait wtf it wasn't?
Hopefully it's not rushed this time.

PS5 reveal event at the earliest, E3 2020 the latest is my guess.
When is the PS5 reveal expected? With Sony skipping press events for like a year and a half now, I'd expect a proper reveal AT E3.
That's definitely on you, link timings are magnitudes easier in SFV than SFIV. Different gameplay is expected tho, SF games rarely play alike (one could argue SFIV and SFV are the closest SF games we've ever had) and there was enough distaste for SFV's gameplay that I could see Capcom wanting to do something radically different.