• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Personally I've been involved with a couple million dollars worth of NFT sales this year and I'm involved with all kinds of cool NFT projects that have utility in various fashions, I'm even designing an NFT collection currently in which the buyer does get a sublicense for the commercial rights to the media involved

Most of the criticisms towards NFTs are pretty dumb because it's an extremely open ended technology that can be almost anything, and can do basically almost anything too; NFTs with no utility do not actually sell for that much except for the "vintage" NFT collections from like 2017, the big selling NFT collections now all have an actual purpose one way or another, like unlocking content or being used to purchase something or to be staked to earn something

Here's a bunch of cool NFT collections that are not just a series of images:

thedogepoundnft.com

The Doge Pound is a collection of 10,000 unique Doge NFTs on Ethereum Blockchain.

The Doge Pound NFT, also called 'OG Doge' within the community, is a collection of 10,000 NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) on the Ethereum blockchain. Every OG Doge grants members-only benefits, including early access to new releases from our gaming studio & partners, upcoming P2E games, conferences...
www.cryptokitties.co

CryptoKitties | Collect and breed digital cats!

Collect and trade CryptoKitties in one of the world’s first blockchain games. Breed your rarest cats to create the purrfect furry friend. The future is meow!
www.cyberkongz.com

CyberKongz

Welcome to an alternate reality, where evolution took a different route and weird apes roam the earth. Some appear normal. Some look weird. And some are just damn cool! Every CyberKong is unique and owns randomized items with different rarities.

Hashplants

Digitaly cultivated NFTs
worldofwomen.art

Home - World of Women

World of Women: A community celebrating representation, inclusivity, and equal opportunities for all. United by a first-of-its-kind collection, featuring 10,000 artworks of diverse and powerful women.

Many of these NFT Collections above actually do give commercial rights to the buyers, have multiple functions, change over time, can be "bred" together to make new NFTs, and in general just have a broad road map of all kinds of features involved with the NFTs themselves beyond just being an image. I do not think the randos in here jumping on and hating NFTs are aware of how expansive and rapidly growing this space actually is, and to be honest, I've made this exact type of post like 5 times here on this board and still see the same people taking a dump on NFTs without probably even reading this post
These images are some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen. Not only are in a cult but you have extremely bad taste.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Basically what makes an NFT valuable is the development cycle, utility, road map, community, rarity traits, listings on major marketplaces, blockchain, floor price and brand recognition, art itself is like #28 on what makes an NFT worth something. All of these things I've listed are what makes the NFT both valuable and useful, the art itself is a separate conversation, in which there is a full artistic NFT market for people who want to buy these things just for what they literally look like, but what I and most people are linking here are NFTs explicitly crafted to be invested or used as a financial tool one way or another, on top of having a series of uses that are specific to each NFT. Some NFTs you do get the commercial rights for, some NFTs unlock content, some NFTs have programming to change and morph over time, some NFTs can combine into new NFTs, there's really an endless amount of applications you can do with these things. I have personally been involved with designing the utility of a few different NFT collections at this point, and it's really up to the imagination of the creator as to what you can do with NFTs.

There a few "standard" financial models for investor-grade NFTs, of which the two major models are algorithmic art and card packs, which most of the ones linked here are algorithmic art NFTs in particular. These algorithmic art NFT collections actually cost like 50-100k to produce and market correctly, and also involve literally like months and months of community building before they are worth anything. It's not money laundering like the dumbasses here are repeating over and over, it's a lot of time and effort to make a high selling NFT collection in 2021. Back in 2017 you could make whatever as an NFT and it could potentially be worth tons later on, but we are far beyond that now, as cryptocurrency technology is evolving rapidly and investors and users expect much more now (like the NFTs actually doing something). I'm personally involved in the floor sweeping operations with an algorithmic art NFT collection right now (which means getting the cheapest NFT in the collection to be higher and higher in price), and it involves a lot ways to increase the value of the NFTs overall, and getting awareness that your NFTs even exist.

This is the best selling NFT I've created: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/amouranth-has-sold-an-nsfw-nft-for-over-90000-3090360

Personally I find the people drive-by shitposting here to be extremely lame and likely have no idea what they are talking about
Everything you post here makes me hate NFTs even more.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not a cult? It doesn't have to be this crazy heightened thing where NFTs are either evil or amazing, it's just a vague, open-ended technology that can be used however. There's clearly a humongous amount of people on this forum that absolutely hate NFTs and it seems ridiculous to me, and I'm expecting those same people to spit bile at me every time I post here

Like it's not some crazy doomsday technology ruining the world and it's not god's gift to man, it's just another way people can make art or money or both
But its not being used "however". Everyone keeps talking up the open-endedness of all of this stuff, but its all just finance. Every single variation that every new person comes up with is just ways to move money around, with incentives skewed such that a small number of people are going to get very rich and a lot of people are going to lose their shirts. This keeps happening. At a certain point when the system only produces one kind of output, it tells you something about the system. Hell, Axie Infinity, the only NFT game to really have any measure of success so far, managed to re-invent sharecropping in less than a year

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
If you think you can right click save an image is pirating an NFT then you don't understand what an NFT is.
Honestly, NFTs being mainly introduced to most people by being connected to images have really hurt the image of the tech. I'd imagine most people in this thread only associate NFTs with pictures/videos/songs etc. There's a reason NFT tech is expanding in to other fields and aren't just jpgs etc.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, NFTs being mainly introduced to most people by being connected to images have really hurt the image of the tech. I'd imagine most people in this thread only associate NFTs with pictures/videos/songs etc. There's a reason NFT tech is expanding in to other fields and aren't just jpgs etc.
Which fields is it currently expanding into?

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So basically merchandising for relatively famous people? Do you work only with large creators or do you also do your own thing and make money that way?

Regardless, I remember you having a rough time a long time ago on the old site, so glad you are doing well now.

I am an NFT Artist myself and also run an NFT Marketplace for sex workers and the adult industry; I'm also involved with many different other NFT projects. Personally I've built a community where sex workers are protected, kept anonymous, and are able to be paid without being put in dangerous situations. I have many small creators on my platform and a few big ones. Personally I think I am running about as ethical of a business as I can in this space, I make sure everyone is paid well and no one is harassed on my platform.

It's really annoying that there has to be some insane existential standard for me to just express that what I do is even ok, because legitimately a ton of left-leaning people seem to think this is some inherently evil technology and quote like the same lines of arguments at me over and over (just saw tulip mania again!). Honestly it makes me just really dislike the online left because I get like no reasonable conversation back on this discussion most of the time when talking to a leftist online about this stuff

But its not being used "however". Everyone keeps talking up the open-endedness of all of this stuff, but its all just finance. Every single variation that every new person comes up with is just ways to move money around, with incentives skewed such that a small number of people are going to get very rich and a lot of people are going to lose their shirts. This keeps happening. At a certain point when the system only produces one kind of output, it tells you something about the system. Hell, Axie Infinity, the only NFT game to really have any measure of success so far, managed to re-invent sharecropping in less than a year

I mean this technology is REALLY recent. There wasn't large amounts of people working with it until the last year or so, and really only since the summer. So far it is only mostly crypto tech bros in this space using it to make money, but it's rapidly growing as larger companies get involved and full development cycles are completed. Whether it is used for all the philosophical ways people talk about it can be used is unknown, but the base concept of an NFT is not inherently good or bad. Personally I use this space to make and sell my art that otherwise would be impossible to sell. It's actually a wonderful space for up and coming artists, or just indie artists with a small following (like me). I know quite a few artist types who's lives were changed because they went from being a literal starving artist to being a minor celebrity making real money off their own art.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Which fields is it currently expanding into?
So the big one right now is in gaming where you can own an NFT within the game so you're a partial owner/investor in to the game's development and then you can share in profits for sales of the asset/mechanic etc associated with the NFT you own. That's one of the more practical use cases I've seen. It's still in it's infancy though and there's a lot of ways it could go wrong but I think from a tech perspective it's interesting to follow.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So the big one right now is in gaming where you can own an NFT within the game so you're a partial owner/investor in to the game's development and then you can share in profits for sales of the asset/mechanic etc associated with the NFT you own. That's one of the more practical use cases I've seen. It's still in it's infancy though and there's a lot of ways it could go wrong but I think from a tech perspective it's interesting to follow.

The model of investing into a game and then getting returns is already supported by fig, and surely they could set up a system to do more granular attribution without NFTs as well. Either way a third party platform and the game developer would need to implement some custom system for both cases so NFTs aren't really simplifying the process

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
All of these games are scams and the devs run away with the money two weeks after announcing them, except for Axie Infinity which successfully reinvented sharecropping with laborers in the Philippines, so I'm not really sold on this bold new vision

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I am an NFT Artist myself and also run an NFT Marketplace for sex workers and the adult industry; I'm also involved with many different other NFT projects. Personally I've built a community where sex workers are protected, kept anonymous, and are able to be paid without being put in dangerous situations. I have many small creators on my platform and a few big ones. Personally I think I am running about as ethical of a business as I can in this space, I make sure everyone is paid well and no one is harassed on my platform.

It's really annoying that there has to be some insane existential standard for me to just express that what I do is even ok, because legitimately a ton of left-leaning people seem to think this is some inherently evil technology and quote like the same lines of arguments at me over and over (just saw tulip mania again!). Honestly it makes me just really dislike the online left because I get like no reasonable conversation back on this discussion most of the time when talking to a leftist online about this stuff

I mean this technology is REALLY recent. There wasn't large amounts of people working with it until the last year or so, and really only since the summer. So far it is only mostly crypto tech bros in this space using it to make money, but it's rapidly growing as larger companies get involved and full development cycles are completed. Whether it is used for all the philosophical ways people talk about it can be used is unknown, but the base concept of an NFT is not inherently good or bad. Personally I use this space to make and sell my art that otherwise would be impossible to sell. It's actually a wonderful space for up and coming artists, or just indie artists with a small following (like me). I know quite a few artist types who's lives were changed because they went from being a literal starving artist to being a minor celebrity making real money off their own art.

Every time there is a gold rush there are some lucky winners but that doesn't mean it's sustainable. Everything points to the current state of NFTs to be an extreme hype bubble

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
The model of investing into a game and then getting returns is already supported by fig, and surely they could set up a system to do more granular attribution without NFTs as well. Either way a third party platform and the game developer would need to implement some custom system for both cases so NFTs aren't really simplifying the process

I didn't mean to imply they're simplifying the process but from some dev friends of mine, they're interested in how this could possibly help them out for certain costs in development. Kind of like a variation of how kickstarter makes games work but with a different incentive.

To be clear again, I'm not saying I like this use or anything, I just think it's interesting to follow.
All of these games are scams and the devs run away with the money two weeks after announcing them, except for Axie Infinity which successfully reinvented sharecropping with laborers in the Philippines, so I'm not really sold on this bold new vision
This is clearly strictly a bad faith argument and not worth engaging in. I even stated that I'm not speaking of specific titles but just curiosity on how the tech could grow in the field, not the current use case.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Remember when Al Gore (/s) created the internet and it was supposed to be about free information with no real roadblocks.

Fastforward, it's the new oil and railroad barons and instead of free thinking hippies it feels like the modern tech dude is just a budding capitalist trying to invent new securities to get rich on. Nothing on the later; we do live in a hellscape after all. But it's funny to see the 'hey, we found a way to monetize this!' from a group that you feel twenty years ago would have sneered at the concept tied to equity and revenue.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Every time there is a gold rush there are some lucky winners but that doesn't mean it's sustainable. Everything points to the current state of NFTs to be an extreme hype bubble

I do think there is a bubble around the crazy high end investment grade NFTs, but I don't think it affects artist-grade NFTs and I think the technology will continue to evolve and adapt regardless of if a bunch of rich investors pull out of it

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I thought right-click thing was a joke but this dude is seriously going all in for it.

Sure he has all those files but none of them has token. Now try selling them.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to imply they're simplifying the process but from some dev friends of mine, they're interested in how this could possibly help them out for certain costs in development. Kind of like a variation of how kickstarter makes games work but with a different incentive.

To be clear again, I'm not saying I like this use or anything, I just think it's interesting to follow.

This is clearly strictly a bad faith argument and not worth engaging in. I even stated that I'm not speaking of specific titles but just curiosity on how the tech could grow in the field, not the current use case.
You get that this is why no-one believes any of this, right? No-one can actually point to any real examples of anything that addresses any of the criticisms people have, its all just real world examples of shitty practice and vague "future potential" for something better. You can't have a landscape that's currently 100% bullshit and expect people to believe that in the future its going to be "80% legit"

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You know, developers could do this right now, without it being an NFT right? They could easily store a hash, and it's ownership without having it being connected to a cryptocurrency, and that information be fully transferable.

Heck, MMOs have literally been doing this since their inception.

There is no reason your example would be on a block chain, there is no reason to have digital ownership be traceable by a decentralized, nonregylated system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

So you're totally biased and not even thinking about the people or environmental impact being hurt by nfts. Of course you'll claim it's all good. Someone's going to be left holding the nft bag with nobody to buy their shit after having spent money on these worthless things. The people and companies creating the nfts themselves are in the best position right now to make money off fools who think there's value and a way to invest in them. Those people are going to be shocked when they realize nobody wants to buy their collection from them. They'll be left with selling it to themselves and their friends to make it look like their nfts hold any interest or value. It's really freaking sad so many people have already bought into the hype of being rich through these things.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Surely you can see how having a personal stake in making money off every interaction of a community makes leftists naturally suspicious of claims about how great a community is. It's obvious what the appeal of NFTs are from the content creator side, but you haven't made a case for why end users should actually buy into any of this besides speculation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice opinion to have, but I don't see what it has to do with my post clarifying what an NFT is.
It's a receipt stating that you own an image with no way to actually differentiate between the version you own and every other version in existence, and the other versions were free.

So it's worthless

If I own the Mona Lisa then I own the Mona Lisa. You can own a print but that's not the original. If I own a jpeg of the Mona Lisa there's no discernable difference between what I own and what you right click saved, aside from the receipt.

And no one wants your damn receipt

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
society doesn't need a new way to spend money on garbage. a new obscure way especially

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
You get that this is why no-one believes any of this, right? No-one can actually point to any real examples of anything that addresses any of the criticisms people have, its all just real world examples of shitty practice and vague "future potential" for something better. You can't have a landscape that's currently 100% bullshit and expect people to believe that in the future its going to be "80% legit"

I get it, you hate NFTs and don't want to engage in a good faith conversation. Most tech starts out very rough and this is extremely new tech. Literally all I'm saying is I'm following developments, I'm not selling it or anything. Not sure why you're so hard on the defense.
You know, developers could do this right now, without it being an NFT right? They could easily store a hash, and it's ownership without having it being connected to a cryptocurrency, and that information be fully transferable.

Heck, MMOs have literally been doing this since their inception.

There is no reason your example would be on a block chain, there is no reason to have digital ownership be traceable by a decentralized, nonregylated system.
I've heard some people explaining how block chain authoritative games could work out for more transparency and consumer rights protection, I've also heard strong criticisms of what happens when a title sunsets and what happens to the investment.

You're right that the basic level tech of ownership being server authoritative already exists but I figure it's worth just seeing how this specific tech is leveraged.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Surely you can see how having a personal stake in making money off every interaction of a community makes leftists naturally suspicious of claims about how great a community is. It's obvious what the appeal of NFTs are from the content creator side, but you haven't made a case for why end users should actually buy into any of this besides speculation.

Beyond supporting an artist or the resell value, it would be on the utility of the NFT to give it a real world, concrete value; for instance, most of the NFTs on my adult platform are tied to "unlockable content", in which you may receive unique merch, unlock their OnlyFans, get a video directly from the creator etc.

I actually am auctioning an NFT at the end of the month myself in which you actually get the dress Stormy Daniels wore when she "met" Donald Trump even! There's a zillion ways to tie NFTs to something more concrete if wanted

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every bit of "anti-NFT" news is mainly just for people against NFTs to socialize or something.

Because I've not once seen the pro-NFT people even react to any of the "groundbreaking events" that are supposed to hurt the cryptobros.

Has anyone else noticed this? Everything from China banning crypto every 3 months to the right-click meme, yet they march on just fine.

This seems like yet another thing where people will hype it up and it won't matter.

This dynamic applies to a lot of things, though.

Take Alex Berenson. During the course of the pandemic, he was wrong about most everything, and did nothing but make things worse. He is an asshole. In all likelihood, no company even adjacent to mainstream media is going to hire him ever again. He even lost his Twitter account.

His Substack, though, has hundreds of thousands of subscribers. At least 10,000 of those are giving him cash. He's doing very well for himself - almost certainly way better than he was prior to being utterly and thoroughly discredited.

If Berenson can survive "The Pandemic's Wrongest Man" being the #1 headline when you google his name, NFTs will certainly survive things like what this Australian dude did.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Stopping NFTs isn't going to reverse climate change. I do love how the new scapegoat for climate issues is crypto and NFTs. Big business thanks you. Anything to distract from the real cause.
When your new big thing is being backed by companies like Meta and the general thrust of what said companies want to do with it is basically make the internet work like real life but shittier (like was anybody asking for Patreon but worse? For the kind of DRM applied to most streaming services already to be applied widely to most images and videos on the internet? Anybody?), I feel like there's gotta be a point where you recognize that you're no longer the plucky rebel cause but instead a new arm of the thing you proclaim to hate.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, you hate NFTs and don't want to engage in a good faith conversation. Most tech starts out very rough and this is extremely new tech. Literally all I'm saying is I'm following developments, I'm not selling it or anything. Not sure why you're so hard on the defense.

I've heard some people explaining how block chain authoritative games could work out for more transparency and consumer rights protection, I've also heard strong criticisms of what happens when a title sunsets and what happens to the investment.

You're right that the basic level tech of ownership being server authoritative already exists but I figure it's worth just seeing how this specific tech is leveraged.
I have had so many good faith conversations about crypto and NFTs with so many of you people, and you all just fade away when the questions get tough and then another one pops up to "just ask" the same questions over and over. I have exhausted so many hours raising problems with everything about the entire model, from its underlying assumptions up to its technological implementations, and no-one ever actually engages with any part of them. It's so incredibly, exhaustingly transparent. Go back to whatever half dozen discord servers you're on and talk about how we all just don't understand the potential and how much money you're all going to make and please leave the rest of us alone

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Beyond supporting an artist or the resell value, it would be on the utility of the NFT to give it a real world, concrete value; for instance, most of the NFTs on my adult platform are tied to "unlockable content", in which you may receive unique merch, unlock their OnlyFans, get a video directly from the creator etc.
OK but I could already pay sex workers for all of that stuff. Also, what am I supposed to do with an NFT linked a piece of merch that I own IRL? I can just sell the merch.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It's a receipt stating that you own an image with no way to actually differentiate between the version you own and every other version in existence, and the other versions were free.

So it's worthless

If I own the Mona Lisa then I own the Mona Lisa. You can own a print but that's not the original. If I own a jpeg of the Mona Lisa there's no discernable difference between what I own and what you right click saved, aside from the receipt.

I think that's the point of NFT and other Crypto currency. They're worthless until a lot of people think they're not.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's the point of NFT and other Crypto currency. They're worthless until a lot of people think they're not.
I think the point of crypto was an unregulated and hard to obtain currency that could be used to buy expensive shady shit on the internet without using more easily traceable forms of payment, the people saw they were worth stuff and took it mainstream, boosting the price and spawning more crypto

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I have had so many good faith conversations about crypto and NFTs with so many of you people, and you all just fade away when the questions get tough and then another one pops up to "just ask" the same questions over and over. I have exhausted so many hours raising problems with everything about the entire model, from its underlying assumptions up to its technological implementations, and no-one ever actually engages with any part of them. It's so incredibly, exhaustingly transparent. Go back to whatever half dozen discord servers you're on and talk about how we all just don't understand the potential and how much money you're all going to make and please leave the rest of us alone
You didn't ask me a single question, so what tough questions did you bring up?

I'm not in any discords for crypto, I'm not saying this is the future or that it's definitely how gaming is shifting. Quite literally all I said is that the mainstream knowledge of it is a terrible use case and as tech develops there might be a use. I'm not telling you that you should embrace it, or that anyone should.

What on earth makes you think I'm looking to profit off any of this when literally all I've said is that it's interesting to track developments? I don't get your extreme defense here.

It seems your conclusion is if someone doesn't outright say the tech is horrible, only bad faith arguments are worthwhile since you're tired of engaging in good faith discussions.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I actually am auctioning an NFT at the end of the month myself in which you actually get the dress Stormy Daniels wore when she "met" Donald Trump even! There's a zillion ways to tie NFTs to something more concrete if wanted
Using other things to entice people into buying a nft doesn't make the nft itself more valuable. You're arbitrarily trying to add more value to the otherwise worthless crap you're trying to shill. I can sell you a nft for $900,000 and also give you the deed to my house along with it but it's the house that's valuable. Fuck did I just come up with a great money laundering scheme?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I mean it can literally be any function imaginable pretty much? Like it's literally an open ended piece of programming that can be used for artistic purposes or financial gain or both

There hasn't even been a full dev cycle since the money started actually pouring in to all this NFT stuff, people are just playing around with what you can really do with this technology still, and I don't know why this technology has this desperate existential need to prove it's value in existing, other than this technology is flagged by leftists as being evil because of the potential power generated on the ethereum blockchain or that it generates massive amounts of wealth in what appears to be unearned. In actuality, NFTs are rapidly moving to blockchains that take up much less power and it's a fuckton of work to actually build a top selling NFT collection

Yup, I know people working on a collection with a differentiating point and it's a whole business with developers, artists, and marketing.

I still do feel like the whole thing is just powered by pure speculation, but I respect the work that goes into it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

The Doge Pound is 10,000 art pieces carefully chosen by Professor Elon. A unique digital collection of diverse NFTs lying on Ethereum Blockchain. Each one is thoughtfully designed, specifically picked, and impeccably shaped. Join us on our adventure and have a good time. Having a Doge Token grants you creative and commercial rights, as well as inclusion in the community.

This is legit a description on one of these NFT sites. Where I got my own NFT picture lol. Like you can't tell me this shit is purely looking to take advantage of suckers. It is a carefully curated page of BS.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't ask me a single question, so what tough questions did you bring up?

I'm not in any discords for crypto, I'm not saying this is the future or that it's definitely how gaming is shifting. Quite literally all I said is that the mainstream knowledge of it is a terrible use case and as tech develops there might be a use. I'm not telling you that you should embrace it, or that anyone should.

What on earth makes you think I'm looking to profit off any of this when literally all I've said is that it's interesting to track developments? I don't get your extreme defense here.

It seems your conclusion is if someone doesn't outright say the tech is horrible, only bad faith arguments are worthwhile since you're tired of engaging in good faith discussions.
Okay, let me ask a very basic, and I promise in good faith question: if I have an objection to more and more parts of our artistic world, our leisure time, and our overall social existence being enfolded by financial systems that encourage speculation and transform more and more things into financial assets, what is there in the NFT space or in the pipeline for me to be interested in? The core assumption here is that I am not okay with more things being turned into vehicles to try and make big returns on investment, and I do not like seeing it infiltrate other spaces in my life. Is there anything? If there isn't, then lets talk about that breakdown, between people like me and people who want to see everything transformed into an asset

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
See, that's where you're wrong. Remember, the world is full of idiots. And they've got money. And somehow capitalism can create these feedback cycles of "this has value because enough people think it has value."

Hopefully one day people from a less dumb timeline will come rescue us.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's where you're wrong. Remember, the world is full of idiots. And they've got money. And somehow capitalism can create these feedback cycles of "this has value because enough people think it has value."

Hopefully one day people from a less dumb timeline will come rescue us.
...fair

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, let me ask a very basic, and I promise in good faith question: if I have an objection to more and more parts of our artistic world, our leisure time, and our overall social existence being enfolded by financial systems that encourage speculation and transform more and more things into financial assets, what is there in the NFT space or in the pipeline for me to be interested in? The core assumption here is that I am not okay with more things being turned into vehicles to try and make big returns on investment, and I do not like seeing it infiltrate other spaces in my life. Is there anything? If there isn't, then lets talk about that breakdown, between people like me and people who want to see everything transformed into an asset
This goes back to my very first point that I don't believe use case you presented is a good use of it. I don't like the idea of artistic endeavours being tied any financial aspect really. I don't know you enough to say what would be of interest to you, but I have seen some discussions about this being a way to potentially help devs have more control over their product and get a new source of income to fund their projects (IE think of the pre-order model shifting to kickstarter which is more of a public pitch, this could also be used to pitch individual aspects for the game development). Yes I know this can be done without being on a block chain but this also can allow for transparency on the transactions which will let people know if their investment as an outsider on the project is worthwhile.

Now, I also believe this can introduce a multitude of major issues to game design, to in game economies etc.

Full context, I work as a DevOps Engineer so I try my best to pay attention to growing tech since it's always possible my field could shift in that direction so it's well worth paying attention to what's happening so that I'm not completely behind if it becomes the new industry standard. It would be like writing off Cloud solutions early on thinking there's no reason to pay another service to host our servers when we can just have a local server farm.

I really can't stress enough that I'm not advocating for this shift, just it's in my personal interest to know how tech can alter my own industry.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm personally involved in the floor sweeping operations with an algorithmic art NFT collection right now (which means getting the cheapest NFT in the collection to be higher and higher in price), and it involves a lot ways to increase the value of the NFTs overall, and getting awareness that your NFTs even exist.
Hang on, isn't that wash trading? Isn't that extremely illegal?

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
This goes back to my very first point that I don't believe use case you presented is a good use of it. I don't like the idea of artistic endeavours being tied any financial aspect really. I don't know you enough to say what would be of interest to you, but I have seen some discussions about this being a way to potentially help devs have more control over their product and get a new source of income to fund their projects (IE think of the pre-order model shifting to kickstarter which is more of a public pitch, this could also be used to pitch individual aspects for the game development). Yes I know this can be done without being on a block chain but this also can allow for transparency on the transactions which will let people know if their investment as an outsider on the project is worthwhile.

Now, I also believe this can introduce a multitude of major issues to game design, to in game economies etc.

Full context, I work as a DevOps Engineer so I try my best to pay attention to growing tech since it's always possible my field could shift in that direction so it's well worth paying attention to what's happening so that I'm not completely behind if it becomes the new industry standard. It would be like writing off Cloud solutions early on thinking there's no reason to pay another service to host our servers when we can just have a local server farm.

I really can't stress enough that I'm not advocating for this shift, just it's in my personal interest to know how tech can alter my own industry.

But no one really cares about providence. You are pushing against global financial and legal constructs, as well as assuming you have a mass movement of consumers caring. Do you really care who owns your mortgage at any given time and that it's fully auditable in an immutable way? Some people do, in Fintech, but they already have controls here that have better mechanisms of enforcement with a full backing of legal systems to boot.

Blockchain, and NFTs, are a curiousity that's mostly drive by the idea all actions require transparent audits and, in the case of transferable contracts - fully monetizable.

There is some interesting technical applications, particular around auditing and automated compliance controls. However, most of that has brute force solutions today and are already highly mechanized. Even better, failure here - again - has legal jeopardy. Violating any in the NFT space it has penalty of losing access or speculative value.

Creating a shadow financial system owned by tech with no specific accountability is a libertarians wet dream. So yeah, grift.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

If you want a huge/fun list of NFT scams going on, start from the top and keep going. Idk who wants to be part of a "community" where the goal is extract as much money as possible from other members.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

If you're writing all of this honestly, and I cannot stress enough how many people come into these conversations just transparently lying to manipulate the conversation, I would really ask you to look at what is actually being made, not just what people are speculating might be possible. And I mean specifically: the people who are telling you what might be possible, look at what they're actually making in the present moment. Look into Axie Infinity and how its business model works. Look into all of the bots that are scraping Twitter for artwork and minting it without the artists permission, and usually against their wishes. Hell, look at how artists who do want to participate have to pay gas fees that result in them taking huge gambles themselves. Twitter is littered with stories of "NFT games" vanishing in a poof of smoke with all the money. A lot of the biggest NFT sales are people flagrantly selling to themselves to inflate the price tag on the rest of their assets.The entire thing, top to bottom, from its first principles is rotten with financialization. You can't escape the financial piece. The entire thing is the financial piece. Anything else is smokescreen.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
There's potentially some interesting applications for smart contracts simplifying administrative work, but if that approach ever does take hold—and that is a stiff if—it'll happen almost invisibly at an institutional level as far as the common man is concerned.

Anyone selling the public something on the basis of it being an NFT or built on a blockchain right now is just out to make a buck, doubly so for any of them pitching it as a way for the buyer to make a buck too.