• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I expected to be caught unaware by most of these responses but it seems like teens are just like everyone else.

Among their favorite things are Amazon, Netflix, Chick Fil A, Ulta, Nike, Venmo, and iPhones. These would all be answers I'd expect from the general population (even Adam Sandler to an extent).

SHEIN, Snapchat, and Tiktok are really the biggest young person things that jump out at me. SHEIN just seems like a modern internet based Forever 21.
I was only surprised by Adam Sandler and iPhone adoption rates.

But thinking on that Sandlers comedy is really tailored for teens so that kind of makes sense (though I had assumed they would have wanted the hot new thing instead of the stale old thing but he is a really smart person and this is probably the dividends of all of those Netflix movies).

The iPhone stat is insane but anecdotally it does make sense. Honestly half the kids in elementary seem to have their own iPhones and iPads so it only makes sense that more of them get it by high school.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
No idea why so many people are questioning the iPhone thing. I coach youth sports in my town and the "green bubbles" stigma is 100% legit. I'm the old man who uses a Pixel.

When I started coaching 7 years ago you'd still see a few kids with Androids, now it's exclusively iPhones. My town is pretty much right at the national mean income level too.

Oct 27, 2017

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The nft and crypto takeaways are bizarre. The actual survey findings are encouraging in that regard
The nice interpretation would be that incompetence led to the incorrect analysis of the stats, the truth is probably that whoever published this is pushing an agenda since they also operate on that nft/crypto space (which benefits from as many sheep as possible participating, which is why they want to push this fake, hopefully self - fulfilling narrative of NFT being the new big thing.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Even that number is sheer bullshit. There are about 67 million Zoomers in the United States. 2.2% of that is 1,474,000. There are just 360,000 wallets on the planet that hold NFTs according to https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...e-value-of-the-market-financial-times.534989/

Piper Sandler is an investment bank and entirely full of shit.
Yeah for every NFT headline going forward its going to be incredibly important to hold onto that 360k wallet number

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Even that number is sheer bullshit. There are about 67 million Zoomers in the United States. 2.2% of that is 1,474,000. There are just 360,000 wallets on the planet that hold NFTs according to https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...e-value-of-the-market-financial-times.534989/

Piper Sandler is an investment bank and entirely full of shit.
Not that I'm claiming this survey's findings are infallible (no single poll or survey is, that's not how statistics works), but you realize this is a survey of teens and your "67 million zoomers" number is including people as young as 9 and as old as 25? And unless I'm reading it wrong, 360k is also not a representation of everyone who has ever purchased one, only of current holders. So anyone who bought one and resold it and then stayed out of the market after wouldn't be counted.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Would things like NBA Top Shot fall under that 360K Wallets with NFTs in them? As far as I know, you can't transfer NBA Top Shot off the platform and into a wallet, but 99% of people on the planet would probably think they were NFTs if you explained to them what NBA Top Shot is

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Ewww, these kids sound like a bunch of normies.

This tracks with reports that Gen Z is less tech-savvy than you'd expect. My 72-year-old mom preferred iphones because of how simple they are.

Last edited:

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I can forgive a lot but I can't forgive Adam Sandler being their favorite celebrity. Doomed generation.

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely explain the Adam sandler bit his movies are quick, raunchy not to thinkable movies that appeal to younger kids it makes total sense

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Would things like NBA Top Shot fall under that 360K Wallets with NFTs in them? As far as I know, you can't transfer NBA Top Shot off the platform and into a wallet, but 99% of people on the planet would probably think they were NFTs if you explained to them what NBA Top Shot is

Yeah, that was my first thought too. No way in hell that 220 teens of the 10,000 sampled have traditional NFTs, but Top Shot or something similar? That would make more sense.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I can forgive a lot but I can't forgive Adam Sandler being their favorite celebrity. Doomed generation.
Eh, I loved him too when I was a teen in the old SNL/Happy Gilmore days. It was a phase and I'm no longer into him, but I recognize his charming way of pissing off the "normal establishment" with his stupid nonsense.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I can definitely explain the Adam sandler bit his movies are quick, raunchy not to thinkable movies that appeal to younger kids it makes total sense
He's also been making a ton of recent Netflix movies which have consistently been some of the most-watched movies on the service, so it's not like he's some irrelevant has-been.

Still, uh... pretty questionable, teens.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
87% of teens with iPhones is not surprising. Im no rocket scientist, but I think that would mean that 50 years from now Apple will probably have a total monopoly over the cell phone industry. These teens become adults, have kids of they're own and get them iPhones. In the US I mean.

Are Apple stocks a good long term investment?
Use a time machine to the year 2000 and you'll say that obviously everyone will have Nokias for the coming twenty years.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
  • They care about sustainability: 51% of teens have purchased secondhand items and 62% have sold things they own, per the survey.

Lol at this. People have been buying used stuff and selling used stuff for all of human history. Turning it into "they care about sustainability" is a leap.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
ECg06J9XsAAKkHE.png

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
For adam sandler, probably their parents showing their kids their favorite movies
We watched mr deeds and big daddy within the last month. I'm constantly quoting the sharks line from 50 first dates and I've still gotta show him happy Gilmore. Son loves em though, the randomness of those movies just vibes with him I guess.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Am I reading that right that the Northeast only saw a 10% response rate? (Or was 10% of the responses...)

Anyways, the results seem to reinforce one thing for me - everyone, regardless of age, says they care about or are concerned about the environment. Very few are willing to put much effort or thought into it beyond that.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there this weird social stigma in the US about the color of your phone messages?

Not surprised teens are desperate to be not be seen as the kid with the green messages. Would probably get made fun of in school.

I doubt this is a huge factor.

The biggest thing is that iPhones are more easily locked down by parents, have budget options for price now, and a lot of schools hand out MacBooks to students. Apple products individually are pretty bog standard if not inferior to other options, but they have the best connectivity across the ecosystem of them all. I own zero Apple products so it makes buying one of them unattractive (since I wouldn't get anything from the connectivity). But a kid who already has a MacBook from school? Well now they can take advantage of easy iMessaging and things like that, in addition to the other perks above for their parents.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
To get people, for or against, to click on the article.
It's not in the article itself. It's OP's title, but note that the title has a dot before it to separate it from the sentence "teens like crocs". The purpose is simply to list NFTs as one of the things the study asked about it.

10% of U.S. teens have purchased an NFT? That seems really hard for me to believe.
It doesn't say that. It says that 22% of teens have heard of them and 10% of those 22% have bought one.

How old is this forum? I assume it's 26-40 year olds? We need a census.
There have been some polls and yes if I remember correctly at least those poll results have indicated the majority of users being somewhere within that age range.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This thread really need a poll asking the inverse of what is implied in the title to be more misleading.