Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. As it is, depending on the timimg, you essentially get at least two nights of partying.The weekend before Halloween and the actual date itself.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Move Christmas to the last Friday in December. That way we get a guaranteed three-day holiday.

Look, if we're going to go full chaos, let's go full chaos.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It pretty much is anyway, but I can understand wanting the formal change so you don't have to keep candy around just in case you get kids coming round on the 31st.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
lol the fuck are you talking about, why do you think I care about anything but those things? Dressing up, scary stuff, and candy ARE the tradition.

Why don't you just make Halloween the last Saturday in April or some shit then
I mean, it's objectively a Fall holiday. The modern American interpretation is deeply rooted in harvest traditions & other autumnal traits. There's no point in a massive shift, just the smallest possible one to make the holiday better for everyone who celebrates it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I mean, it's objectively a Fall holiday. The modern American interpretation is deeply rooted in harvest traditions & other autumnal traits. There's no point in a massive shift, just the smallest possible one to make the holiday better for everyone who celebrates it.
There's nothing stoping people from celebrating on weekends though. Neighborhoods will already designate a different day for trick or treating if they want to. Hell most trunk or treats are already not on halloween. Keep the holiday as is and celebrate when you want.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the problem it's trying to solve. I don't see how it's not long enough, or that it's somehow too stressful now. So what if it falls on a school night? Trick or treating only takes about an hour or so, 2 max, not starting until the evening when it gets dark anyways. And do kids in that age group get too swamped with homework to go on that night? No. Most kids stop going by 7th or 8th grade anyways.

And for adults, having a party on the prior weekend hasn't been an issue until now.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming these people care about and participate in more things than signing this petition and sitting around waiting for the results.

I still feel like if your thought process is "let's move Halloween" then you aren't prioritizing more important things to petition.

But on the flip side - not everyone will or can care about everything that I would personally deem as a priority. Even I haven't figured that out in totality yet.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Halloween was on a wed this past year and was wack. The weekend before was too early and the weekend after too late. No one was really doing anything

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's nothing stoping people from celebrating on weekends though. Neighborhoods will already designate a different day for trick or treating if they want to. Hell most trunk or treats are already not on halloween. Keep the holiday as is and celebrate when you want.
So why not have it formally on the most convenient day, and then have those that don't care celebrate on the 31st as usual?

The callendar date is 100% arbitrary. It does more good being assigned to the more convenient date.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
As exciting as that sounds, that means Halloween can be as early as Oct . 25, which means you will be blasted with Christmas everything by Oct. 26.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You mean better for adults who just want any old excuse to party.

"No one gives two shits about any sacred tradition tied to October 31st. "
Maybe I don't give two shits about any sacred tradition tied to Easter Sunday. The point I was making is that you're subjectively choosing which traditions are worth preserving while chastising other traditions.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not followed by All Saints Day, how can you call it All Hallows Eve?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My neighborhood already does trick or treating on the Sunday before, but I really don't see the point in officially moving Halloween. People will celebrate however and whenever regardless of the day the holiday falls on.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The vast majority of people signing this petition are parents who want a more convenient date to go out trick or treating. I honestly expect most partying adults to go out on the 31st regardless, because that's their tradition and a callendar isn't really changing that.

Shit, just move "Halloween" to the last Saturday and keep "All Hallow's Eve" on the 31st.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with it.

Im also with adding a second Tuesday to every week after Wednesday and moving to an 8 days a week/ 11 month year calendar. (Fuck you March)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So why not have it formally on the most convenient day, and then have those that don't care celebrate on the 31st as usual?

The callendar date is 100% arbitrary. It does more good being assigned to the more convenient date.
Because there are reasons why Halloween is the 31st, it's not a holiday like labour day or thanksgiving.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, no. This one stays. Halloween is the day before All Saints Day, it has meaning, that's the whole point of it. It's not like Thanksgiving, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, or those other "First monday after the full moon in August" holidays... it's got a day. It'd be like moving New Years Day to the first monday of January, or moving Christmas Eve to the last Sunday of December while Christmas Day stays the 25th. C'mon now

I want to move President's Day to be the day after the Super Bowl in America, but that'll probably never happen. Still a man can dream.

Last edited:

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Maybe I don't give two shits about any sacred tradition tied to Easter Sunday. The point I was making is that you're subjectively choosing which traditions are worth preserving while chastising other traditions.

I am arbitrarily choosing which traditions are worth preserving. Guilty as charged there. And I still don't think most people care about the specific October 31st date.

Also the petition was mostly started by parents, not partiers.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm with it.

Im also with adding a second Tuesday to every week after Wednesday and moving to an 8 days a week/ 11 month year calendar. (Fuck you March)
I also agree that March can suck it.

Also we should get rid of time zones, have everything on a 24 hour clock, and just adjust to the idea that nighttime isn't arbitrarily bound to certain hours of the clock.

I've got a LOT of hot callendar opinions.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of people signing this petition are parents who want a more convenient date to go out trick or treating. I honestly expect most partying adults to go out on the 31st regardless, because that's their tradition and a callendar isn't really changing that.

Shit, just move "Halloween" to the last Saturday and keep "All Hallow's Eve" on the 31st.
Trick or treating ends super early these days anyways, it's like over by sundown so it's not like it's interrupting normal school nights that hard.

When I was a kid I absolutely loved the fact that Halloween would often be mid-week. It was a reason to celebrate a point of fun during the course of an otherwise normal week rather than just looking forward to the weekend, not to mention Halloween day in-school was always a blast too(dressing up, teachers giving out candy, etc).

This petition is just less fun for the kids honestly, but I'm not even sure why I care since Halloween for the kids is already garbage these days and it really is just an excuse for adults to play dress up now.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of moving the useless holiday to a weekend. Let's focus on trying to move Election Day to a Sunday

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not followed by All Saints Day, how can you call it All Hallows Eve?

This, its all hallows eve, consumerism has just created a monster (pun intended) around the event. Call if something different if you want to move the event, but its like declaring Christmas on 23rd because you want it on a specific week day, its literally based on a specific calendar day.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Im also with adding a second Tuesday to every week after Wednesday

giphy.gif

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
what will all the spirits on the edge of the realm of life and death do on the 31st then?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is the that next level thinking I can get behind. Add a 2nd bye week and go to 18games and this might actually happen.

I'm against a 18 game season because I think it's perfect as it is and that's all about ownership greed, but I think if you either give a 2nd bye week, and then push president's day up by 1 week it lines up nicely. Presidents Day is just an arbitrary day in between a few president's birthdays so why not?

Oops! meant against an 18 game season not 16!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

See. You add a second Tuesday to the week and give half of the workforce off 1st tues and the other half of 2nd Tues, no one has to take off a weekday to get stuff done. And everyone gets a weekday off in the middle of the week and that makes everyone happy! Then we just have to get rid of either February or March.

Simple.

I'm against a 16 game season because I think it's perfect as it is and that's all about ownership greed, but I think if you either give a 2nd bye week, and then push president's day up by 1 week it lines up nicely. Presidents Day is just an arbitrary day in between a few president's birthdays so why not?

I think back in the day there were 2 bye weeks for every team. 18 games is coming we just going to have to get prepped for it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
No. Fuck off. I hate Halloween going international and shitbags getting another excuse to get shitfaced, but I respect the original holiday and the supernatural aspect that thankfully was kept as long as it did. Moving the holiday from the 31st should officially cancel it as a holiday, it wouls be like moving Cinco De Mayo to Quattre De Mayo because its not on a Saturday, absolute bullshit I tell yah.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well, if you cared as much as you say you do, you'd be Vegan.

It's the most efficient way to make a difference. If that's too inconvenient then aight i guess.

The well placed "aight" suggests many things, but I'll ignore that.

You're not going to shame me for eschewing veganism. Sorry. I am extremely mindful of red meat consumption as it is the highest contributor to the problem.