Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2017
Welp. Looks like they figured out people were buying up XBL Gold and converting it 1:1 to GP Ultimate.

That said: this wasn't the right way to do it at all. $120 a year just for regular Xbox Live Gold is ridiculous.
It's not like they didn't know about people converting, they themselves gave the directives on how to do it and were pushing people to do it as well. I somehow doubt this is a response to that.

Dec 31, 2017
All this indicates to me that some change to Gold is coming. And that Gold is gonna be something else then multiplayer.
Guess we know very soon.
This is my guess as well, no way they doubled the price out of nowhere and didn't add any features to it like Gamepass or something like that. I could see them do that in a way to force people to pay more monthly while getting more out of it wether they want it or not but I really doubt they doubled the price and added nothing to it.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Looks like they figured out people were buying up XBL Gold and converting it 1:1 to GP Ultimate.

That said: this wasn't the right way to do it at all. $120 a year just for regular Xbox Live Gold is ridiculous.
They always knew. The idea is to get people so used to Game Pass that they'll pay the full price when the promotion stops.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty pathetic. I have 0 interest in Game Pass (I think I'm subscribed to it for 3 months, but haven't used it at all), so raising the price of Gold just to push people to GP just feels scummy.

I'm glad I only play single player games these days, so even Gold is pretty pointless to me right now.

guerra08

Nov 12, 2020
Brazil
I mean, if they are really increasing the price of Gold, there better be some REALLY good improvements. The service is a train wreck as if stands today.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
All subscription models raise their price when they get enough subscribers, gamepass will inevitably do the same

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This thread actually made me buy another year of psn at $35 lol. MS increasing the price of Xbl to make gamepass more attractive is scummy.
Yeah it's 35 I did the same. I just don't want to be caught in the crossfire of either company raising the prices of these. So I have 6 years of ps+ and 3 years of gamepass ultimate

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Phil would never do this to gamers. He loves us too much.

I'm pretty happy with GPU so the main thing that concerns me about this is that it'll lead to Sony increasing the prices of PS+ too. That would suck because Sony does not have anything like GPU and their rewards program is terrible. I don't feel like I pay for Gold today since it's part of GPU which I get for free via MS Rewards but I pay for PS+ and it's in no way worth $10 per month.

I also hate how paying to play online is even a thing and the double standard of allowing F2P games to be played without paying.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's 35 I did the same. I just don't want to be caught in the crossfire of either company raising the prices of these. So I have 6 years of ps+ and 3 years of gamepass ultimate

Exactly, all this does is give Sony justification to up the price of psn if they want to. I'm good until 2024 but I might buy a few more and stock up for the whole gen.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Phil would never do this to gamers. He loves us too much.

I'm pretty happy with GPU so the main thing that concerns me about this is that it'll lead to Sony increasing the prices of PS+ too. That would suck because Sony does not have anything like GPU and their rewards program is terrible. I don't feel like I pay for Gold today since it's part of GPU which I get for free via MS Rewards but I pay for PS+ and it's in no way worth $10 per month.

I also hate how paying to play online is even a thing and the double standard of allowing F2P games to be played without paying.
Sony has psnow, is different than gpu. Also while many people always like to say GP>Psnow, truth is that PS+>Gold. And by double standard regarding F2P... I think the problem is on MS stage, not Sony's (or Nintendo)

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has psnow, is different than gpu. Also while many people always like to say GP>Psnow, truth is that PS+>Gold. And by double standard regarding F2P... I think the problem is on MS stage, not Sony's (or Nintendo)
Microsoft is the one company handling F2P games without double standard. You should either pay to play online or not. They should not be given special treatment because it makes no sense.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Every other platform disagrees.
Do you? Why do we pay to play online in Call of Duty: Cold war but not in Warzone? Does that makes sense for you as a consumer?

Don't get me wrong, the awful part is that we have to pay to play online in Cold War, not that Warzone is free. I'm just saying it's double standards to treat them differently.

Oct 28, 2017
You would think if they were raising the price, they would have padded their Games with Gold offerings leading up to this. However, their Games with Gold the last several months have been pretty awful. Its crazy that they would offer less quality in games lately, and still raise the price.

It's also kinda funny to see people still believing they will cancel the Gold Requirement very soon, after just raising the price of Gold.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
This isn't *directly* about increasing the price of Gold. If you load a credit card in and set it to automatically re-up with Gold every year, the price remains $60 for a full year. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

This is about getting rid of cards. Same thing with the 12 month cards last year. HUGE numbers of people never notice when a sub auto renews. But they ALSO don't notice when a prepaid card runs out until they need the service again.

Microsoft is trying to push customers onto auto-renew who currently do this:
1. Buy a $40 6 month card.
2. Aren't using Live when the card expires so they don't immediately renew (thus costing MS money).
3. Buy another prepaid Live card in 3 months or so when a multiplayer game comes out that they need Live for... or a good game comes out for Games with Gold. Frequently those cards are sold at a discount

The Netflix model works best when people forget they get charged for it regularly. Then, down the line, yes you can sneak in incremental price increases. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony does the same thing eventually.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I think this is Microsoft's way of pushing people toward Game Pass. I mean, if Microsoft gets you to buy into Game Pass, then there's a good chance that you'll at least TRY it (since you're already paying for it, anyway), which increases the likelihood that you'll want to subscribe to the service regularly.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Microsoft is the one company handling F2P games without double standard. You should either pay to play online or not. They should not be given special treatment because it makes no sense.
That is a very weird way of thinking. FREE to play must mean something i guess. It is the basics of those games because money is made in another way.
I guess they had double standard regarding crossplay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.