Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't what you said originally. You said it is "no longer available." You were referencing the idea that 12-month is not available (since last Summer) , but confused Microsoft not selling it through their store and it actually being available at every other retailer. Choose your words more wisely next time.

"12 month subs are no longer available, so to get 12 months, you have to pay double what it used to be (60)."

Fair enough, the point I was trying to make is that they're discontinued. I'm sure there's still stock in some places.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Did the monthly price jump to $10 recently? I thought it was $5 but I honestly haven't checked in at least 2 years.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they are not removing Gold completely for Gamepass at this point, much less charging more for it

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If they're raising the price to effectively $100 a year, I feel like it's only a matter of time until Game Pass is just a part of Gold. Then they can still charge a little extra for Ultimate if you want to play on PC.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
not everybody gets gamepass and this way they can always force people to pay something to use the console to its fullest.
Makes sense, forgot there were markets where it is not available

Game pass for console is $12 a month here in Canada which includes live, so I assume it is $10 a month US which is why I was confused as it is the same price for far less

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I paid <$120 for three years of Gold which I then converted into three years + one month of Game Pass Ultimate for another $15. Gold is* a horrific deal at full price but a huge bargain if you can wait for a sale and stack up.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Maybe this was just a misprint on the cards or something along those lines? It seems a little hard to believe.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what happens. Their recent strategy seems to me to be focused on value (GPU, backwards compatibility for games and hardware, play anywhere, rewards) and this would 100% fly in the face of that. Particularly after the rumors of online play becoming free this just seems bizarre and a self inflicted error so early in the generation when these types of things are magnified.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Skip four meals in restaurants.

Its an insignificant sum. Again. People are paying $70 dollars for games monthly and buying really expensive action figures and TVs and soundsystems are upset they might need to readjust their budget? Prices go up. Again, for this being an enthusiast forum its just funny. Yeah it might be a bigger hit for some. But still its like substituting four take out meals to cooking at home.

lol you are REALLY showing your ass in a lot of these responses. I use xbox casually for some multiplayer games with friends. That's it. LOL @ "prices go up" and "skip four meals in restaurants" We're almost a year into a pandemic and they're doubling the price. It's garbage and Microsoft should get tons of shit for it(if it's legitimately true)

Dec 31, 2017
Makes sense, forgot there were markets where it is not available

Game pass for console is $12 a month here in Canada which includes live, so I assume it is $10 a month US which is why I was confused as it is the same price for far less
Only Ultimate includes Gold at 16.99$ a month, Game Pass is 11.99$ a month and doesn't include Gold, so they basically brought Gold up to the same price as Game pass. I think they either really want to sell people on the idea of Game Pass Ultimate, or they are merging Gamepass with Gold as a way to try and get more subscribers.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
People who need Gold for the online will either pay more or see a better value on GPU, in each case Microsoft wins. Still shitty.

Didn't they removed the 12mo from their own store? Maybe Gold is going to be $120 per year after all.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I bought a Series X today and pulled the trigger on the Brazil XBL 12 month x 3 -> Ultimate conversion to have it until March 2024 after seeing this.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Series X today and pulled the trigger on the Brazil XBL 12 month x 3 -> Ultimate conversion to have it until March 2024 after seeing this.

Isn't it 36 months max so you can only get up until this time 2024?

I'm gonna try and extend my Game Pass too with these deals before they raise the price of the thing :/

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If GamePass is good, just let people naturally migrate over...This is Trash...

I don't know how anybody can excuse this. It's 1 thing to attract people to GamePass...its a whole other thing to purposefully make Gold horrible to increase GamePass subs...

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I'm surprised they are not removing Gold completely for Gamepass at this point, much less charging more for it

Nah, XBL Gold for 10€ a month next to 15€ for Gamepass + Gold is what they want to show new customers.

Thats what every online sub does... make the cheap option as shitty as possible to make the mid-tier option the default choice.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
This is a mistake for XBox. They need to either have kept Gold the same price (including the yearly option being available), or gotten rid of multiplayer paywall and just relied on Game Pass value (unlikely scenario).

Making base multiplayer a worse value now hinders the XBox brand.

Now, I'm set for GPU for years right now, and I love Xbox... but this is an awful move.

Oct 31, 2017
Okay so I've had my Gold Xbox Live account set to auto renew yearly for awhile, even though I'm not really playing much Xbox at the moment.

I had no idea they apparently "phased out" yearly purchasable Gold subs. Is that for prepaid, codes for Gold only? Is a yearly gold sub going to go up to like $100?

I have zero interest in Game Pass so that's out of the question entirely, as I don't want to feed their game subscription service any of my cash out of principle (even though I was giving them free money for simply having the possibility to play Xbox games online, which I haven't utilized much in the last few years tbh so...).

It might be time for me to just unsubscribe from blind XBL and only renew a subscription if I am actually determined and dedicated to playing a game (probably will be Halo: Infinite).

May 8, 2018
Makes me glad I dropped xbox. With Halo and the few other games of theirs on PC now that I liked to play I can play them for free cause Live is still free on the PC. This is just insanity.

Oct 31, 2017
Like, seeing this is straight up making me think about leaving the Xbox ecosystem entirely, no joke.

I didn't realize they got rid of purchasable yearly Gold subs about 6+ months ago apparently, so that was news to me upon entering this thread. And now seeing 6 month cards possibly being sold for what I thought was the yearly Gold subscription price makes me wonder how much money Microsoft has syphoned from me in the last year that I haven't even taken advantage of. Silly fucking me apparently! I should have known better but fuck...

I've already felt extremely negatively and skeptical towards moving game monetization to a subscription service model, so that's already made me not view Microsoft particularly favorably these last few years, but this may legitimately push me out of their ecosystem, it makes me that mad.

It's one thing to be alright with giving up $60 yearly for any time online access on a whim on Xbox (which as said, I don't do often but occasionally...), but it's a little different to possibly be paying $100+ for that and not really be taking advantage of it. Especially when I'm paying for yearly subscriptions to both Gold and PS Plus.

In this case, I'll definitely stop being a de facto Gold subscriber. Going to yank my card info from my account.

And this in no way helps their cause to try and push me into their game subscription service. In fact, this makes me even more against it.

Makes me glad I dropped xbox. With Halo and the few other games of theirs on PC now that I liked to play I can play them for free cause Live is still free on the PC. This is just insanity.
Yeah I can understand that. And I've been thinking about picking up a Series X for whenever Halo: Infinite launches. Now I may just play on PC, even though that's not really what I'd want to do either honestly.

Kind of sucks.

May be the first time in almost 15 years that I stop being a consistent Gold subscriber, and I might not come back honestly.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The worst part about this imo, is that the halo infinite multiplayer F2P announcement is essentially a PR stunt now that players need to pay an additional price of a AAA game beyond what was previously paid just to play that.
Also this feels like weirdly alienating a large group of people who get an Xbox to play casual games like CoD, FIFA etc. that wouldn't really have an interest in GP.

Oct 31, 2017
Also this feels like weirdly alienating a large group of people who get an Xbox to play casual games like CoD, FIFA etc. that wouldn't really have an interest in GP.
It is incredibly alienating.

I had no idea 12 month Gold subs were no longer a thing until this thread as a very casual once-in-a-blue-moon Xbox Live player/user (I only really pay for the possibility to play Halo multiplayer at any given moment honestly and a year's sub was the cheapest way to have it always available without fussing over whether I needed to resubscribe).

This makes me want to fully pull my money out of their ecosystem, even if I didn't spend a ton of cash/time inside of it to begin with. I'll just go full PlayStation & Nintendo with occasional PC use (that will probably become my Halo space :/ ), and not think about the Xbox platform at all otherwise.

Just one less box to have under my TV if they do get aggressive about this kind of thing.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah no thanks Microsoft, I'm good.

Used to always be subscribed to Gold and get GPU from time to time, but this might make me drop XBLG altogether

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question time, if you have Game Pass do you need Gold to play those games online or is it the PSNow system?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Lol Microsoft can fuck off with this. Increasing prices just because they can. Especially when accessing the online functionality of the same games on PC doesn't have a paywall.

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
Is M$ gonna be a thing again now?

Jokes aside, I really don't understand this move. Game Pass is cool and all, but price hikes for it that'll continually alienate users are inevitable at this point, and when you can get a year of multiplayer for a fourth of the price (thanks CDKeys!) on Playstation, why would you still be a Gold subscriber?

Seems they're just really banking on cross-platform play not making MP games barren wastelands on Xbox at this point.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This seems like way too high of an increase in price for it to be real. If it is then the people at Xbox have lost their minds to think a increase like this would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.