Votes: 605 56.6%
  • Death's Gambit

Votes: 246 23.0%
  • Guacamelee! 2

Votes: 464 43.4%

• Total voters

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the gameplay of the first Guacamelee but I hope they go easy on the memes and references this time. Will definitely get it though. Also getting Chasm and Dead Cells. Death's Gambit doesn't look so hot to me yet.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I've already played dead cells and would recommend it.

Death's gambit has been on my wishlist for awhile. If I finish what I'm playing before it comes out I'll get it.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dead Cells isn't what I'd call a Metroidvania but I'm going to get it on Switch providing the port is good. Guacamelee 2 is a certainty because the first was so good. Death's Gambit is a wait and see and the Chasm trailer didn't make me want to pick it up, maybe if there's a demo at some point where I can test it myself.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Huh, Dead Cells is the only game out of those four that's releasing on both the Switch and Xbox One... Probably explains why it's leading in this poll!

For me, Guacamelee 2 on my PlayStation 4 and Dead Cells on my Switch, providing that the game runs okay on it. I shall get Chasm and Death's Gambit somewhere down the line.

Also, Iconoclasts is coming to the Switch shortly too, hooray! It is such an underrated gem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Dead Cells and maybe Death's Gambit for me

Guac 2 looks great but i got the first one free across platforms so many times within a year of it coming out ill just wait for my free copy lol

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Getting Chasm first (already preordered on PSN) then Guacamelee later on. Don't know much about the other two.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Here goes. Already preordered Dead Cells for Switch, I am a backer of Chasm so I have that coming for Vita. Now, I loved Guacamelee, but I really like having my games portable these day. My son has taken over my PS4 Pro with Fortnite and other shooters. That being said, I will be waiting on Guacamelee 2 and Death's Gambit. Honestly, I never heard of Death's Gambit but is sure does look amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Chasm and Dead Cells for me. Guacamelee just never jived with me. I don't find the art style appealing as a game. I was really hyped for it when it came out, but I just never got into it. Actually, I could say the same for most Metroidvanias. Other than actual Metroid and Castlevania games, they all tend to bounce off me for some reason. I think the artstyle and atmosphere are really important to me, and it is hard to get just right.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So a bit like Rogue Legacy, right? When you you die you keep part of the progression
As long as you've done one of the following;

Sorta. . All cells and blueprints that have not been turned in to the Collector are lost upon death. Level progression and currently gear also. If you're unlocked a blueprint, weapon or perks, you keep whatever bonus it provides. Like starting with a random melee, or bow. Retaining a certain amount of gold as well. Stuff you unlock, like gear, are permanent, but you can't choose them. The Random melee and bow perks will grant you those when you restart. So depending on RNG, you can get a jump on the game with some OP gear or not.

Chasm, it has been 84 years...

You all are going to love Chasm. If you a game with a true Metroidvania vibe, this is it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Do I misremember or was Chasm originally supposed to be much more ambitious regarding procedural generation?

I remember reading about weapons, enemies etc being also randomly generated but in their latest update they describe just using preset rooms from a pool and connecting them randomly.

Everything else is static, monsters, items, even the general progression...

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I bought Dead Cells a while ago so it`s definitely Guacamelee for me next month.
Death`s Gambit looks really nice btw.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Do I misremember or was Chasm originally supposed to be much more ambitious regarding procedural generation?

I remember reading about weapons, enemies etc being also randomly generated but in their latest update they describe just using preset rooms from a pool and connecting them randomly.

Everything else is static, monsters, items, even the general progression...

Correct. The rooms are static, as are the monsters, and weapons/gear. However, the progression to each room is different. When you start, it generates a world and it gives you an id. That's your randomly generated world. So basically, your game and my game won't be the same. Puzzles answers could be different, how you got to one area will also differ from my game.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah imma grab chasm for vita and wait on guacamelee for switchfor sure already bought lots of gsmes so and as resogun is on sale now i can grab a few more games for my vita so it sill has a use sometimes.

Oct 28, 2017
Correct. The rooms are static, as are the monsters, and weapons/gear. However, the progression to each room is different. When you start, it generates a world and it gives you an id. That's your randomly generated world. So basically, your game and my game won't be the same. Puzzles answers could be different, how you got to one area will also differ from my game.
Yeah, I know, but I mean the original plan for the game.

Edit: Nevermind, I checked the original Kickstarter page and it pretty much says the above.

Edit2: Actually, there is this stretch goal: "Roguelike Mode - Challenge yourself with unidentified & cursed items, hunger, permadeath, & constantly shifting dungeons in this mode."
I wonder if this is still in?

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Yeah, I know, but I mean the original plan for the game.

Edit: Nevermind, I checked the original Kickstarter page and it pretty much says the above.

Edit2: Actually, there is this stretch goal: "Roguelike Mode - Challenge yourself with unidentified & cursed items, hunger, permadeath, & constantly shifting dungeons in this mode."
I wonder if this is still in?

Yep, it's there. Sadly, I can't show you anything until the 31st.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Guacamelee was really good so I'm totally onboard Guacamelee 2.

Forgot that Chasm was coming out, need to check some previews and stuff on it I guess.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I played Dead Cells on PC, early access version. Got to the last boss on the first difficulty level, but the game is ultimately not my thing
it's also not a Metroidvania, trust me on this

I'll keep an eye on the others, I don't know much about them. Got the first Guacamelee, but haven't played it yet. Should probably do that soon

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
None of those.
Looking forward to that Lodoss War Metroidvania that should come out in the coming months, though.
I did play Guacamelee, but a sequel is not something I'm crazy about. I will probably try the sequel sometime, but not on release.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Guac 2 because the first game was excellent and one of my favorite Vita games. I thought about Dead Cells (Switch) but the roguelike elements make it an easy no for me.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting Chasm on Vita, and will get Death's Gambit and Guacamelee if they visit Nintendo Switch.

But as a genre, Metroidvania is getting really stale. It's the most popular genre among the indie devs and today there are hundreds of them. I play every single one of them but I'm no longer having fun.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Chasm and Death's Gambit, assuming the reviews are solid. I wasn't aware of either before now, but the videos looked pretty good. The RPG elements of the latter are very appealing to me (and not something I'm used to in a Metroidvania), and from the gameplay I watched, seems like it's got a great soundtrack as well.

About time I headed to the final boss in Hollow Knight...

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Dead Cells and Guac 2 are going on my Steam wishlist. Rather than add to my already insane backlog, I just add to my wishlist. Except when God of War came out, I needed that. That was probably the first day one release I've bought in 2 years or more.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
Definitely Dead Cells and Deaths Gambit. Will need to see what people say about the others. They look cool!

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Chasm for sure, just going to pre-order it now.

I'd like to get the other ones, but lack of consoles are preventing me. Chasm is the only one available from this list on the Vita, and I hope it controls amazingly.

Deleted member 3769

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does guacamole 2 is ps4 and pc only? I hope they don't wait the same amount of when the first took to release on wiiu...

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Probably all of them. Maybe not Death's Gambit as I don't know much about it right now. And I already own Dead Cells, although it is more like Rogue Legacy than a normal metroidvania

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to both Death's Gambit and Guacamelee! 2, but I'll wait for reviews/impressions on both.

Guac's update in STCE really threw off the game's balance, so I'm wary of how Drinkbox designed the sequel. Death's Gambit looks like it could be great, but the developers don't have much of a track record and pre-release hands-on coverage has been sparse.

Procedural generation knocks both the other games off my wishlist.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I look into chasm, the more I'm interested. I'll wait for reviews but I like what I'm seeing

Asiratlan

Jan 26, 2018
Isn't La Mulana 2 releasing next month too? They recently announced a Livestream about the release on Sunday.