• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one will you buy?

• Chasm

Votes: 230 21.5%
  • Dead Cells

Votes: 605 56.6%
  • Death's Gambit

Votes: 246 23.0%
  • Guacamelee! 2

Votes: 464 43.4%

• Total voters

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone shed some light on Iconoclasts? Seems pretty cool!

Loved it. Game has an actual depth story unlike most games in this genre. World is very well crafted, music is fairly well done. Art and Animations are insane.

Also some really cool boss fights.

Finally there is a moment in the story that is so well done I felt very tense about (which I don't normally in games). Won't say anymore about it, play it !

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
so the map resets and the layout changes only when you start a new game, right? You don't start from scratch when you die like in a rogue-lite, and the procedually generated aspect only kicks in in further playthroughs?

When you make a new game you're allocated a random seed number, or can manually enter one yourself to play a specific layout. From there your world is set in stone and you get a consistent specific room layout and allocation set-up. This means you can also share your seed number with others so they get the same experience, which is useful for speedruns.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Plans to buy the first 3 ones.
The one with the Mexican can wait. It look so similar with the first game.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Never even heard of chasm or deaths gambit...but damn they look good. Gonna have to get all of them I guess.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
during a normal run in DC, assuming you don't get killed in-between, it only takes about 5-15 minutes to complete each stage. You'll eventually sort of get an feeling for how the stages are constructed and after you get some upgrades you are encouraged to avoid enemies and rush through the stages as fast as you can. Eventually, should you beat the final boss, you unlock higher difficulty levels and repeat the process a number of times (but keep all your unlocked abilities)

HK takes an easy 20-30 hours at least, quite a bit longer if you go looking for all the collectibles. Also, DC isn't really a Metroidvania. Think more Castlevania 3 but the branching paths are not accessible until you beat some bosses
Appreciate the explanation. Yeah, I think this lands the game in digital territory for me.

HK was a game that I'd sit down and play for hours on end, and I rarely felt like there was a quick "out." If it had been a physical copy, I wouldn't have felt put-off about swapping game cards to play (I'm always bouncing around to different games). I stopped at about 80% completion and had logged just over 40 hours. Definitely got my money's worth.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Death's Gambit, obviously. The others have aspects to them that kill my interest completely (rogue-lite elements, or an art style I don't like). Death's Gambit looks glorious though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death's Gambit looks pretty swanky.

Please tell me it's not procedurely generated or a roguelike.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Sorry, but anything that has procedural stuff and rogue-like elements can't be a Metroidvania for me. I tried Dead Cells and got bored after half hour, I will probably buy Guacamelee 2 only, but not at D1.

The other two games looks really interesting but I have some doubts on them.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Lu-Mulana 2 (already pledged on KS, so technically i should already have it), which can be the best of this bunch of metroidvanias.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
none, after the disappointment that was hollow knight, i'll stick to normal castlevania.

giphy.gif

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get all but Guacamalee. Didn't really like the first one, be it the aesthetics or the combat full of combos, which is always something I don't enjoy.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone does a breakdown about each of them and what flavor of metroidvania they are. I only have an idea about guacamelee 2.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Is Chasm and Death's Gambit gonna be released on the European PSN at the same time or not? None of them are available on PSN, at least for pre-order.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scrap that i am gettin them all lol.
Sadly only guacamelee is pre order able in europe hopefully deaths gambit will be soon aswell chasm is close tho already.

Dead cells already pre ordered on switch.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just Dead Cells. Don't have a PS4, but if I did... oooh baby, Guacamelee 2 would be mine. Hope it turns out well!

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
  • The randomly generated aspect of the game is just in regards to room set-up, both within the room itself to determine platforms/enemy placement and also with how the rooms that connect checkpoints are placed. You still go through the game in the order designed by the devs, but if you do another playthrough you have to relearn enemy & puzzle placement, unless you use the same world seed.

Chasm map only restarts when you do a new run, it doesn't reset if you leave and come back.

Now this is how you do randomization/procedural generation. Can't wait for Tuesday!

As for genres here's how I call em':
Chasm: Metroidvania
Dead Cells: Roguevania
Death's Gambit: Soulsvania
Guacamelee 2: Metroidvania
Salt and Sanctuary: Soulsvania

• Metroid- If learning new abilities is central to progressing and backtracking through areas
  • Souls- If heavily souls inspired. Usually includes an estus mechanic, stamina system, and builds.
  • Rogue- Roguelike or Roguelite staples like perma death, lack of progression and adds a "run" nature to each life.

The 2D action is covered by the vania which is inspired by Castlevania. Trying to tie things into genres can be a little arbitrary by nature, but this is how I see them anyway if I were to try and classify them.

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I already own Dead Cells via Early Access and Chasm thru the Kickstarter. I might purchase Guacamelee 2 if the reviews stand out and also if it tones down on the meme usage found in the last game.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Sign me up for Dead Cells and Guacamalee 2 - These two games should get this new dad through some sleepless nights.