• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some more movie recommendations

'50s/'60s/'70s

1980s

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
Unfolds like a lost adaptation of a Stephen King short story or a great Tales From The Crypt episode you missed, its haunting comeuppance equally echoing Final Destination and ghostly campfire tales. One of the top-tier horror TV movies you could watch

Madhouse (1981)
A juggle of giallo and slasher elements with splashes of black comedy. Takes its sweet time escalating among maulings, killings, and schlocky weirdness, but a delightfully deranged villain and killer madcap finale is worth the wait

Dead & Buried (1981)
Joins Messiah of Evil in that peerless class of skin-crawling coastal dread. An inescapable eldritch nightmare transmuted into celluloid; an eerie, unnerving, mysterious, and gruesome gem of '80s horror.

Litan (1982)
A fog-laden festival of fantastique anxiety, like folk horror warped into something more vaguely Lovecraftian and absurd. Unfolding with the surreal delirium of a fever dream, Litan follows a couple attempting to flee unnatural village streets swirling with carnival mania, undeath, soul worms, and mad science

The Deadly Spawn (1983)
A condensed grainy blast of '50s drive-in pulp meets '80s gore. The peculiar regional cast is entertaining ad quirky, but John Dods' wonderful effects and McKeown's energetic direction are even better. Production wrings ample atmosphere and gnarly gore from a mundane single-house setting; the central cellar sequence would be a suspenseful practical-FX masterclass in any monster movie, let alone one with a $25,000 budget.

Lifeforce (1985)
You know how WB gave James Wan a blank check and he made Malignant? Similarly, Cannon gave Tobe Hooper $25 million to adapt The Space Vampires and he made a Quatermass love-letter that's effectively Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires reimagined as a cosmic-horror Dracula blockbuster. Bonkers sci-fi horror pulp as dead-serious apocalypse spectacle. Lifeforce is insane, bleak, and bombastic from opening titles to end credits.

1990s

Baby Blood (1990)
Echoes of Under The Skin, Possession, and Prevenge, melded with the DNA of exploitation films and late '80s/early '90s gorefests. French-Extremity-Lovecraftian-vampire darkly-comic splatter-sleaze maternal horror doesn't get much better than this.

The Guardian (1990)
A wild fusion between the sensibilities of Fulci and Raimi, with Friedkin's competent hand guiding the escalation from eerie babysitter unease to bonkers supernatural onslaught. Come for Friedkin's return to horror; stay for baby sacrifices, tree-branch dismemberments, and a Grimm-esque tale like only '90s horror could deliver

The First Power (1990)
Essentially Fallen as supernatural action-horror pulp starring Lou Diamond Phillips, rather than a respectable supernatural procedural starring Denzel. There are better body-hopping slasher films, but those don't have over-the-top set-pieces and stunts, do they?

Body Parts (1991)
Action-body-horror pulp that approaches its b-movie absurdity with gory seriousness. I got a soft spot for movies that play a completely insane premise completely seriously, and this does so with mean grisly aplomb.

Leif Jonker's Darkness (1993)
No-budget, super-8, synth-&-heavy-metal Night of the Vampire Undead. Within five minutes, it becomes apparent that most of its $5,000 production was spent on fake plasma and Darkness doesn't waste a drop or a second. Enough drenching blood, torn throats, melting flesh, and exploding heads to please any Braindead fan.

Ticks (1993)
Magnitudes more fun than Squirm, not as goofy as Slugs. A goopy gory gem from the '90s golden age of practical effects and self-aware DTV b-movies

Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995)
Folk horror comes to the Windy City, and takes root as only Screaming Mad George effects and unfettered '90s horror can. A cross-breeding of The Omen, Season of the Witch, and Children of the Corn germinating into a bonkers spooky cheese offshoot that's very gory and very of its decade.

The Day of the Beast (1995)
Ostensibly a horror comedy, but as with most of Álex de la Iglesia's films, that label is merely its outmost genre layer. Slapstick mishaps, buddy comedy, kidnap caper, violent action, and a Christmas tale too: a blur of devilish oddities and twisted fun, a film whose sequences could alternatively work as silent comedy gags, thriller intensity, or Italian-horror absurdity

The Mangler (1995)
The Mangler is Hooper in unadulterated Eaten Alive/Spontaneous Combustion mode. Stephen King's bonkers imagination and small town sins mixing with Hooper's socially-conscious delirium. Unhinged grisly filmmaking with all the clammy grime and lurid style that the director brought to his most heightened movies.

Night of the Scarecrow (1995)
So extremely '90s DTV horror that you can't help but have a good time with its scarecrow slasher schlock. A vengeful quipping warlock who desperately wants to be the next Freddy, gnarly corn-stalk body horror, and bloody sins of the past

Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead (1997)
Batshit gorefest insanity, but with an ambition and a (bizarre paper-thin) narrative that opens with the ancient fleshy rebirth of its titular anti-god and has time for detours to 1940s village alchemy and WW2-era Stalingrad. Olaf gleefully delivers a viscera-soaked love-letter to the likes of Lamberto Bava, Fulci, Savini, and early Peter Jackson. One of the best good-bad glorious-gore-effects SOV passion project I've seen yet

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great job on the OP, Z-Beat and thanks for taking over. I'm shocked you put it together with so much content that quickly! It took me forever when I did it. Thought you might want to know, the white graphic titles aren't visible for us heathens on the white theme (making the graphics work on both themes was always a headache for me).
Thanks! I was caught between drawing the designs for the graphics myself or finding a good library of personal use font generators that I could drag and upload to imgur so they wouldn't go away when the font site cleared their temporary files

Font color altered for those of you who like pain.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
List Subject To Change:

Classics I Haven't Seen:
  • The Fog (1980)
  • Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Reanimator
Slasher-Rama
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2004)
  • Friday the 13th: Part 6
  • Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Newer films I haven't seen
  • The Lighthouse
  • Possessor
  • Old
It's been a while
  • Stay Alive
  • Final Destination 1
  • Legion
  • Event Horizon
  • Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
  • The Exorcist
  • Grave Encounters
  • Queen of the Damned
  • IT Chapter 1
  • IT Chapter 2
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • The Final Girls
  • The Ring (2003)
  • The Thing (1982)
Mainstays
  • Halloweentown
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Dead Silence

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not doing 31 films since that's just hard to fit into our schedule but we've already started watching a bunch of horror films. This year, I really want to dig into older stuff from the 30's and 40's. I've seen all the main Universal monster stuff but not many of the sequels. Will also sprinkle in Hammer and Roger Corman stuff. Just anything that has a super old-school, classic Halloween/horror atmoshere. Lots of fog, cemeteries, old castles, etc.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I've never done this, I want to do this, I don't really have time or stamina to do this, but let's fucking go.

Lurked for years just for reviews and recommendations.

I'm not going to make a list just yet, as I don't know what is going to drop off of which services come October 1st.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I already started. Figured I'd watch all sci-fi horror for September to kick things off.

My actual October list is already 100+, will see what I actually get around to though.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some more movie recommendations

'50s/'60s/'70s | '80s/'90s

2000s

Dagon (2001)
A water-logged rain-drenched film equally soaked in bleak hopelessness; a dark stormy night of fleeing from misshapen locals and worse horrors. A sense of doom surrounds the characters as tangibly as the sea fog that chokes the hamlet's narrow winding alleys. Dagon was a surprisingly intense slice of Lovecraftian horror. Overall, more subdued, darker, and grislier than one might expect from Gordon.

Isolation (2005)
Rural Irish horror where wintry farm atmosphere is king. A gunmetal miasma of tin-roof deluge and grey muck puddles on stall barn floor, sustaining genetic-engineering slow-burn suspense for a solid hour. Bovine bone parasites, deformed science-gone-wrong monstrosity, Ruth Negga, and Sean Harris make Isolation a lesser-known indie-horror winner.

Storm Warning (2007)
Bookended by an unassuming opening gradually turning to lost-in-the-wild anxiety and a final act of grisly tone-shifting intensity. The middle is solid no-frills backwoods-clan Aussie horror executing its familiar terror - and eventual catharsis - with (very) gory, grimy confidence.

Outpost (2008)
Dog Soldiers but with Nazi zombie ghosts. Outpost is claustrophobic action-horror with an emphasis on the latter; occult evil haunts from the shadows and stalks in menacing silence before unleashing grisly bloodshed in the second half. Led by a fine trio of Ray Stevenson, Michael Smiley, and Richard Brake, the tension rarely lets up and the finale's guns-blazing siege action is a thrilling sequence of hopeless spectacle.

2010s

Game of Werewolves (2011)
Lobos De Arga doesn't just feature a scary wolfman (as opposed to the more lupine werewolf) - my favorite wolfman after Benicio Del Toro's Wolf Man - but a whole bunch of them, realized through excellent practical effects. Enraged red-eyed glare, slobbering maw, hulking shaggy build, even a solid transformation. Of the two English titles, "Attack of the Werewolves" is the most apt. Juan Martínez Moreno's delightful direction regularly delivers snappy gags and amusing scenarios, while not diminishing the fun monster action.

No One Lives (2012)
A grimy blood-slick action-slasher with nothing on its mind except not-so-surprising twists, buckets of gore, and Luke Evans having a grand ol' time playing a creepy charismatic monster. Logic? Plausibility? What are those? No One Lives certainly never heard of them. A lesser yet very entertaining companion to the likes of Don't Breathe and You're Next.

Wer (2013)
Wer is to the wolfman what Afflicted was for vampires. A fresh approach towards the werewolf, with modernized updates to the classic story and extensive use of handheld/camera perspectives to ground the mystery of the beast in documentary-esque realism. Just when its investigative half seems to overstay its welcome, this shifts into an action-horror rampage across Paris. The finale unfortunately feels like the film's vision overstretched its budget, but Wer is still a strong modern entry among werewolf cinema.

Wither (2013)
Completely derivative of Evil Dead, while doing the grim onslaught approach a year before Fede Alvarez did the same with his remake. If you want to see gallons of blood, grisly practical gore, and relentless undead friends, Wither is worth a watch.

From the Dark (2014)
A low-budget Irish chiller that quickly escalates to a stranded couple wielding every possible light source against a creature of the night. Matches, candles, fridge lights, phone screens: From The Dark scrambles through its fraught dwindling-light-versus-shadows set-pieces and dusk-till-dawn cat-&-mouse thrills. Smartly keeps its monster lurking in the shadowy background as a Nosferatu-esque silhouette. Niamh Algar (recent seen in Censor) is an awesome resourceful survivor of a protagonist

A Record of Sweet Murder (2014)
From Noroi director Koji Shiraishi, this one-room one-take found-footage film is a horror-thriller onion, a twisted gem wrapped in layers of "no idea WTF's happening next". A deranged man, a desperate plea of miracles and love, a journalist and her cameraman. A confined live-wire scenario that wildly escalates in real time, taking bizarre, brutal, holy-shit-what swerves towards final-act chaos that justifies the build-up.

The Hallow (2015)
Conventional eeriness among the suffocating earthy mire of Irish woodland becomes nearly an hour of folk horror-fungal crawler siege. A modern dark fantasy thriller that delivers on its half folktale-terror/half eco-body-horror approach.

Savageland (2015)
Savageland is deceptively simple. An ambitious found footage story and a faux-documentary movie, and a brilliant twist on multiple formulas that also unfolds with a seething honesty about a broken justice system, border tensions and illegal immigration, the dehumanizing paranoia of racism. While also being an unnerving chiller, but to say more would spoil the elements here that makes Savageland a horror fan's delight. The dawning realization about what I was watching put the biggest grin on my face.

Impetigore (2019)
Satan's Slaves was a finely-crafted example of haunted-house horror, but Joko Anwar's Impetigore was even better. Indonesian folk-horror slow-burn that gets under the skin. A grisly curse, a family reckoning, and constantly looming dread: Impetigore carefully unpacks its dark secrets through a taut deliberate pace. Aside from a few clunky flashbacks, this weave of generational horrors and disturbing consequences is an occult stunner.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I just finished trimming my list. All I have to do is pick one more giallo, but that shouldn't be a problem, I have a stack of unwatched ones ready to go.

I had to axe so many exciting looking movies though (sorry Coffin Joe, maybe next year), but I think I have a pretty entertaining month lined up.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I just finished trimming my list. All I have to do is pick one more giallo, but that shouldn't be a problem, I have a stack of unwatched ones ready to go.

I had to axe so many exciting looking movies though (sorry Coffin Joe, maybe next year), but I think I have a pretty entertaining month lined up.
When you finally get to Coffin Joe, I bet you'll have a blast. Have only seen the first two, but I'll Possess Your Corpse is amazing. Some Hammer, some Jigoku, all gorgeous and weird and twisted

Jul 4, 2019
Last year I planned to do it, but October was way too busy. I'm planning/hoping to actually complete it this year. Will start working on my list.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
List Subject To Change:

Classics I Haven't Seen:
  • The Fog (1980)
  • Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Reanimator
Slasher-Rama
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2004)
  • Friday the 13th: Part 6
  • Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Newer films I haven't seen
  • The Lighthouse
  • Possessor
  • Old
It's been a while
  • Stay Alive
  • Final Destination 1
  • Legion
  • Event Horizon
  • Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
  • The Exorcist
  • Grave Encounters
  • Queen of the Damned
  • IT Chapter 1
  • IT Chapter 2
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • The Final Girls
  • The Ring (2003)
  • The Thing (1982)
Mainstays
  • Halloweentown
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Dead Silence

Both of your "haven't seen" lists are full of bangers. You're in for a treat, Reanimator is one of my favourites.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the thread. I don't have a lot of free time but I'll try to squeeze in as many as I can.

I watched Relic (2020) over the weekend. I'll give it a recommendation. It's the story of Kay and her daughter Sam coming to care for Kay's mother who suffers from dementia. It's more of an emotional movie than most horror and it's well acted all around. Relic is a slow burn, but the third act stuck with me. It's not for everyone though.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, don't worry, I'm still slogging around the pits. It felt like it was time to inject some new life into the old beast so decided pass the thread on to some fresh blood. I'll still be participating in the marathon. Somebody has to recommend Basket Case and rant incoherently about Italian movies, and that somebody's gonna be me!

Glad to see you're still slogging. It's going to be a good month.

... Cause it's the most wonderful time OF THE YEAR...

I almost forgot to say that until Violence Jack reminded me with their declaration, haha.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
When you finally get to Coffin Joe, I bet you'll have a blast. Have only seen the first two, but I'll Possess Your Corpse is amazing. Some Hammer, some Jigoku, all gorgeous and weird and twisted

I'm really interested in Coffin Joe, but I just have an old DVD set that I believe is OOP now. I was hoping for a HD release of the trilogy to watch and as far as I know one doesn't exist yet?

Now I'm thinking of removing some of the goofy Italian stuff I have that I thought would be fun to talk about to fit in either the first 3 Hammer Frankenstein movies, or Coffin Joe. I'm leaning towards Frankenstein at the moment since there's so many to get though and I don't want to spend 10 years to get though them like I did the Dracula movies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Last batch of movie recommendations

'50s/'60s/'70s | '80s/'90s | '00s/'10s

Caveat (2020)
An unabashed Gothic horror tale, updated from 19th century manor grounds to modern-day backwoods island. Very Poe, a tad Possum, all eerie corridors festering with mold and dread. Almost entirely horror mechanics over logical narrative, a slow-burn of hazy answers linked by old-school spooks. As a more solid plot emerges, those chills become unexpected thrills that utilize the house's forbidden spaces to great effect. Damian McCarthy's big jolts got me good.

Kandisha (2020)
Maury and Bustillo embrace the trappings of '90s teen horror to a fault, much like how Among The Living was a warped Amblin adventure. The first half is its weakest, but Kandisha's second half becomes more grisly, terrifying, raw. Very familiar yet still compelling in its own right, with the gore and scares to remind us that this is definitely from the directors of Inside.

Boys from County Hell (2020)
Starts with such a neat gross tease of an opening, that had me quite excited to see how Boys From County Hell would remix familiar vampire lore. Takes a surprisingly long time to pick up steam, but eally entertaining though, once the blood draining and vampire-killing logistics ramp up. An Irish horror-comedy mixing local legend, Bram Stoker's novel, and pints, into a hang-out horror flick.

His House (2020)
A stunning example of how diverse voices can tell fresh stories within the bounds of familiar horror. The best interweaving of social drama and creepy-as-hell horror I've seen in a long while; an empathetic and intimate tale of refugee struggle as a visually-evocative ghost story, juggling suspense, scares, and sins that refuse to be forgotten.

Sputnik (2020)
Russian sci-fi creature horror couched in political thriller intrigue. Questions of the human cost of science, of the humanity behind heroic propaganda, are intertwined with solid creature effects, claustrophobic suspense, and gory final-act action.

The Empty Man (2020)
A creeping horror-noir of strange, eldritch, and ambitious scope, where influences of J-horror and '70s horror abound. Barely a jump scare to be found; instead the eeriness lingers, almost gliding into frame. This is a movie willingly to quietly wade into unnerving disorientation and let questions hang. At 137 minutes, it joins Suspiria '18 and Doctor Sleep as that rare breed of sprawling modern horror able to indulge in its unease and identity.

The Dark and the Wicked (2020)
Horrific emotionally-draining American Gothic; a Midwest abyss of snarling plains and creaking windmills from the director of The Strangers. The horror elements are intense, but the grief, coping, and raw haggard performances are more so. Bertino takes his story to dark cruel depths, a journey marked by prickling unease and startling violence.

The Owners (2020)
Following a crude first act, The Owners tightens into taut twisted menace. What begins as an inelegant spin on Don't Breathe gradually transforms into something more bizarre and nasty, akin to The People Under The Stairs or The Loved Ones.

Bloody Hell (2020)
A survival-horror-comedy just begging to be seen with a midnight crowd. A kinetic blast of gory action, twisted comic timing, cannibal family ties, and the best improvised weapon since The Night Comes For Us.

In the Earth (2021)
The folk-horror eco-horror COVID counterpart to A Field In England, with an extra dose of body horror and fungal delirium. In The Earth is a grisly vibes-first slide into hypnagogic unease. Once Wheatley's disorienting horror-trip shifts into pagan rituals versus research and technology, this becomes an unnerving psychedelic assault that doesn't quite satisfy as an ending yet still mesmerizes as an eco-Lovecraftian showpiece.

Wrong Turn (2021)
Mike P. Nelson's Wrong Turn packs about four movies into two hours, starting down the numbingly well-trodden Rituals route before going off-trail into ambitiously sprawling territory. Every thirty minutes or so, Wrong Turn takes another turn, so stuffed that even the credits rolling don't stop the plot from continuing. Much more than a slasher, its metamorphic thrills encompass midwestern folk horror and primal action. If you're looking for ruthless and grisly brutality, you'll get that too, with an extra helping of facial destruction.

The Boy Behind the Door (2021)
A perpetual suspense machine propelled by stark cause-&-effect suspense and two gripping child performances. After a abruptly distressing opening, the kidnapped nightmare begins shortly, breathlessly compounding its taut tension and nasty violence until the end. Comparisons can undoubtedly be made to movies like The People Under The Stairs or The Shining, but what's lacking in substance or nuance is countered by visceral anxiety. No pulled punches for the kids in this vicious nerve-shredder.

Seance (2021)
Simon Barrett's feature debut is as much a throwback as his scripts, with The House That Screamed being the most specific influence for this all-girl boarding-school murder mystery. For about two-thirds, Seance coasts along on some minor intrigue, the occasional tense slasher sequence, and an awesome lead performance from Suki Waterhouse. But then the final half hour lets loose and Simon Barrett delivers some very satisfying, very bloody, very on-brand pay-off that ends Seance on a high note.

Son (2021)
Reminiscent of Midnight Special, as domestic normalcy is interrupted by evil cult forces, forcing mother and son on the run, while her child's...unusual condition leads to difficult decisions and bloodshed along the way. Doesn't quite sticks the landing though, but the journey was engaging and bloody horror, nailing a fine balance between psychological unease and grisly road adventure.

Don't Breathe 2 (2021)
Essentially the '90s DTV sequel to Don't Breathe that someone like Ricochet-era Mulcahy or Cannon might've made. Savage scumbag action-horror that grimes up Alvarez's taut elegance to make a grisly, scuzzy, and ridiculously repugnant slice of modern exploitation thrills. Don't expect much suspense, personality, or emotional attachment. Don't Breathe 2 is all about savagery, scumbags, and gory survival, nailing those rock-solidly despite the thinness elsewhere.

We Need to Do Something (2021)
A very minimal yet utterly mad meltdown of a film. Domestic delirium and nightmare logic FTW! Amid tornado sirens, a family of four takes shelter in their bathroom. Soon they'll be trapped, a fallen tree forcing an unending inescapable lockdown. Aside from a handful of flashbacks, We Need To Do Something will never leave those purple-tiled walls. The technical limitations of a COVID-era production result in an insane pressure-cooker attuned to our new normal, existing somewhere between The Mist and Raimi. Some will abhor this movie, but the final act left quite an impression

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Think I've got my list sorted, though there will almost certainly be changes as the month goes on. Ostensibly my theme is folk horror / period piece, but I'm not sure all these fit that bill. Close enough though I reckon.

(* = rewatch)

The Wicker Man (1973, the final cut version)*
Black Plague
Coven of Sisters
Isolation
Viy: Spirit of Evil
Blackwood
Gretel and Hansel
A Classic Horror Story
Sleepy Hollow*
The Pale Door
Sacrifice
Heretiks
The Cleansing
Ghosts of War
The Borderlands
Apostle
Blood Harvest
November
Midsommar
The Siren
The Necromancer
Hagazussa*
The Woman in Black (1989 TV movie version)
The Reckoning
The Wretched
Gallows Hill
Blood Vessel
In The Earth
The Wind
The Lighthouse*
The VVitch*

That's 32 in total, because I'll be doing a double bill on Halloween. I have another secondary list because I'm actually hoping to do a double bill pretty much every day. I had the same intention last time though and it didn't work out, so we'll see how it goes.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Think I've got my list sorted, though there will almost certainly be changes as the month goes on. Ostensibly my theme is folk horror / period piece, but I'm not sure all these fit that bill. Close enough though I reckon.

(* = rewatch)

The Wicker Man (1973, the final cut version)*
Black Plague
Coven of Sisters
Isolation
Viy: Spirit of Evil
Blackwood
Gretel and Hansel
A Classic Horror Story
Sleepy Hollow*
The Pale Door
Sacrifice
Heretiks
The Cleansing
Ghosts of War
The Borderlands
Apostle
Blood Harvest
November
Midsommar
The Siren
The Necromancer
Hagazussa*
The Woman in Black (1989 TV movie version)
The Reckoning
The Wretched
Gallows Hill
Blood Vessel
In The Earth
The Wind
The Lighthouse*
The VVitch*

That's 32 in total, because I'll be doing a double bill on Halloween. I have another secondary list because I'm actually hoping to do a double bill pretty much every day. I had the same intention last time though and it didn't work out, so we'll see how it goes.
Personally I'd swap A Pale Door for something like Robin Redbreast, Eyes of Fire, or Sator (sticking to folk horror suggestions)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Which Scream sequels are worth watching? I've only seen the original and thinking of adding at least one sequel to my watchlist this year.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
I've been putting together a list of movies I want to watch next month, which I always plan to do but then don't. (FTW = First Time Watch, RW = Rewatch)

1. Crimson Peak (FTW)
2. Conjuring 2 (FTW)
3. Ringu (FTW)
4. Cat O'Nine Tails (FTW)
5. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (FTW)
6. Black Roses (FTW)
7. Tales of Halloween (FTW)
8. Krampus (FTW)
9. Mortuary (FTW)
10. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (FTW)
11. April Fools Day (FTW)
12. Rabid (1977) (FTW)
13. The Church (FTW)
14. The Stuff (RW)
15. The Thing (RW)
16. Event Horizon (RW)
17. The Sacrament (FTW)
18. Dead Ringers (FTW)
19. I Know What You Did Last Summer (FTW)
20. Death Machine (FTW)
21. Suspiria (2019) (FTW)
22. Deep Blue Sea (FTW)
23. Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown (Documentary) (FTW)
24. The Torture Chamber of Doctor Sadism (FTW)

I always like to do one themed weekend, and I think this year it's going to be Part 4's.

25. Psycho IV (FTW)
26. Jaws: The Revenge (FTW)
27. Nightmare on Elm Street IV: Dream Master (RW)
28. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (RW)
29. Omen IV: The Awakening (FTW)

And then cap it off with two new release movies.

30. Last Night in Soho (FTW)
31. Halloween Kills (FTW)

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Which Scream sequels are worth watching? I've only seen the original and thinking of adding at least one sequel to my watchlist this year.

I'd say they're all worth a watch. Scream 2 is definitely a lot of fun. Scream 3 is probably the weakest of the bunch, but it's not terrible or anything.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'd swap A Pale Door for something like Robin Redbreast, Eyes of Fire, or Sator (sticking to folk horror suggestions)

Well, I've really appreciated the recommendations you've been putting up in this thread (they've already influenced my list actually), so I'm swapping in Sator for A Pale Door. Cheers!

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello fine folks, I don't think I've posted on this forum since the last 31 Days of Horror thread. But I am back. Evil never dies etc.

ThirstyFly thanks for the good times in the previous threads, love you babe. Z-Beat thanks for taking over!

Good to see a lot of familiar faces as well.

For me, this will be the 11th (!) time I do this. My master list is ever-growing, but I've managed to make a preliminary selection for 2021.

Find my list (work in progress) here: https://letterboxd.com/divius/list/31-days-of-horror-2021/. Feedback is appreciated.

#01 - The Mummy (1959)
#02 - Werewolves Within (2021)
#03 - The Devil Rides Out (1968)
#04 - The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959)
#05 - The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
#06 - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
#07 - Deep Rising (1998)
#08 - Blood Quantum (2019)
#09 - Serial Mom (1994)
#10 - Jeepers Creepers (2001)
#11 - Phase IV (1974)
#12 - Frailty (2001)
#13 - Hannibal (2001)
#14 - Red Dragon (2002)
#15 - Halloween Kills (2021)
#16 - Tales from the Hood (1995)
#17 - Slumber Party Massacre (2021)
#18 - Titane (2021)
#19 - So Sweet, So Dead (1972)
#20 - His House (2020)
#21 - The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
#22 - Zombie for Sale (2020)
#23 - The Funhouse (1981)
#24 - Messiah of Evil (1973)
#25 - The Nightmare (2015)
#26 - The Deadly Spawn (1983)
#27 - Alligator (1980)
#28 - SL8N8 (Slaughter Night) (2006)
#29 - A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)
#30 - Shock (1977)
#31 - Malignant (2021)

My previous years: 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hello fine folks, I don't think I've posted on this forum since the last 31 Days of Horror thread. But I am back. Evil never dies etc.

ThirstyFly thanks for the good times in the previous threads, love you babe. Z-Beat thanks for taking over!

For me, this will be the 11th (!) time I do this. My master list is ever-growing, but I've managed to make a preliminary selection for 2021.

Find my list (work in progress) here: https://letterboxd.com/divius/list/31-days-of-horror-2021/. Feedback is appreciated.

Awesome list; make sure to seek out thel unedited ending to Phase IV afterwards. The ending sequence was cut significantly by Paramount, a huge mistake because the full sequence brings all the themes and imagery to a proper conclusion

The Devil Rides Out, Chinese Ghost Story, and The Deadly Spawn are amazing horror romps

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'll try to do 31 first-time watches this year. No real rhyme or reason to it. Have another list of 100-ish movies that caught my eye/re-watches, so will be fun to see how many I get to in the end.

The Uninvited (1944, Lewis Allen)
The Body Snatcher (1945, Robert Wise)
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957, Terence Fisher)
Mill of the Stone Women (1960, Giorgio Ferroni)
Taste of Fear (1961, Seth Holt)
Black Sabbath (1963, Mario Bava)
Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964, Roger Corman)
Kwaidan (1964, Masaki Kobayashi)
Viy (1967, Georgiy Kropachyov & Konstantin Ershov)
The House That Screamed (1969, Narciso Ibáñez Serrador)
Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971, Roy Ward Baker)
Messiah of Evil (1973, Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz)
Lisa and the Devil (1973, Mario Bava)
Symptoms (1974, José Ramón Larraz)
The Haunting of Julia (1977, Richard Loncraine)
The Funhouse (1981, Tobe Hooper)
Dead & Buried (1981, Gary Sherman)
The Last Horror Film (1982, David Winters)
Trick or Treat (1986, Charles Martin Smith)
Zombi 3 (1988, Lucio Fulci)
Intruder (1989, Scott Spiegel)
Nightbreed (1990, Clive Barker)
The Exorcist III (1990, William Peter Blatty)
Pulse (2001, Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
The Devil's Backbone (2001, Guillermo del Toro)
Ju-on: The Grudge (2002, Takashi Shimizu)
Trick 'r Treat (2007, Michael Dougherty)
The Innkeepers (2011, Ti West)
Malignant (2021, James Wan)
Last Night in Soho (2021, Edgar Wright)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll try to do 31 first-time watches this year. No real rhyme or reason to it. Have another list of 100-ish movies that caught my eye/re-watches, so will be fun to see how many I get to in the end.

The Uninvited (1944, Lewis Allen)
The Body Snatcher (1945, Robert Wise)
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957, Terence Fisher)
Mill of the Stone Women (1960, Giorgio Ferroni)
Taste of Fear (1961, Seth Holt)
Black Sabbath (1963, Mario Bava)
Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964, Roger Corman)
Viy (1967, Georgiy Kropachyov & Konstantin Ershov)
The House That Screamed (1969, Narciso Ibáñez Serrador)
Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971, Roy Ward Baker)
Messiah of Evil (1973, Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz)
Lisa and the Devil (1973, Mario Bava)
Symptoms (1974, José Ramón Larraz)
The Haunting of Julia (1977, Richard Loncraine)
The Funhouse (1981, Tobe Hooper)
Dead & Buried (1981, Gary Sherman)
The Last Horror Film (1982, David Winters)
Trick or Treat (1986, Charles Martin Smith)
Zombi 3 (1988, Lucio Fulci)
Intruder (1989, Scott Spiegel)
Nightbreed (1990, Clive Barker)
Malignant (2021, James Wan)
Last Night in Soho (2021, Edgar Wright)
I saw Dead & Buried for the first time last month, and it blew me away. One of my favorite '80s horror movies now; hope you like it as much as I did

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Kwaidan is a masterpiece and this rung of newer movies makes me super jealous you get to see them all for the first time, that's a solid list. Exorcist III, Pulse, and Trick r'Treat were highlights from when I did this one my own last year.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Ha, the benefit of having not seen a lot of horror movies until a few years ago.

That was me five or six years ago! It's a really fun ride. I've still purposefully left some films unseen so every year there's a big classic to watch for the first time (this year it's going to be "The Thing").

coma

Oct 28, 2017
That was me five or six years ago! It's a really fun ride. I've still purposefully left some films unseen so every year there's a big classic to watch for the first time (this year it's going to be "The Thing").
Yeah, it's been fun discovering a lot of movies I'd consider all time favorites now.

And you're obviously in for a treat with The Thing, it's a masterpiece.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I might join in on the fun this year!

But how are you able to craft a definite list so early? I'm watching horror all year round, and I definitely don't know what I'll have already seen and what I'll want to watch so soon before the beginning of October...

I might have a list ready in like two weeks :p

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Missed the news about Michael K Williams and Julie Strain. Glad you shouted them out, as well as the other icons who passed. Awesome OT.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Still putting this together so I'll edit as needed, but here goes. No particular theme this year aside from hitting all the classics and acclaimed films I've missed. And a few that probably aren't good but I just really want to see. Here's 24 that I've never seen.
  • Get Out
  • Us
  • Hereditary
  • Midsommar
  • The Shining
  • Dr. Sleep
  • Black Christmas 1974
  • The Lighthouse
  • A Quiet Place
  • The Purge
  • Suspiria 2018
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Blair Witch 2016
  • Cult of Chucky
  • Halloween 2018
  • In the Mouth of Madness
  • Mandy
  • Color Out of Space
  • Krampus
  • Paranorman (does this count?)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (the book series that sparked my love of horror)
  • The Monster Squad
  • Zombieland 2
  • 3 From Hell

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Happy to see you Divius.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017

Hey, welcome back, Divius! I'm not a frequent poster on the board at all either, but I love seeing all the familiar faces returning to this thread every year.

Your list looks great too. Lots of stuff I haven't seen but am curious about, so I'm looking forward to your opinions on them. Out of what I've seen, the standouts are Zombie for Sale and Alligator. Zombie for Sale is so damn good, I honestly don't understand why it's as obscure as it is (especially considering it got the Arrow Video treatment). It's a blast from start to finish. And Alligator, that is waaaaaay more fun than it has any right to be. It's kind of hard to go wrong with Robert Forster and Henry Silva in the same movie. I just watched Malignant today too. Can't wait to see what you think of that.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I saw Dead & Buried for the first time last month, and it blew me away. One of my favorite '80s horror movies now; hope you like it as much as I did

Dead & Buried is a masterpiece. If anyone is considering it, please go in as blind as possible and don't even watch the trailer. You'll be better off, imo.

But how are you able to craft a definite list so early? I'm watching horror all year round, and I definitely don't know what I'll have already seen and what I'll want to watch so soon before the beginning of October...

My list is kind of a whole year thing for me. I'm constantly collecting stuff and making lists, putting aside things I think will be interesting to talk about or will fit into a theme when I decide to do themes, etc. It's also why I have way too much unwatched stuff piled up and more than I'll probably ever get to, so I'm not sure if doing it my way is recommended.
My general rule of thumb is, if it's a new release movie, I'll usually watch it during the year outside of the marathon because I find new stuff isn't as fun to talk about since everyone has already seen it by then. If it's some classic I've missed or something wacky that'll be fun to talk about, it gets saved for the marathon.
I definitely prefer to watch slightly more obscure stuff for the marathon to keep it interesting. Like, I'm sure everyone will have seen the new Candyman by the time we start, but how many people have seen Battle Heater? Probably not too many!

:sighs in disheartened procrastination:

I can't wait to see what madness you have in store for us this year!

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
watching horror every day in october last year actually kind of shook me so i probably won't watch as much this year. still excited though!

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Another icon who passed since the last marathon, I just discovered we also lost Beverly Bonner in November of last year. She's best known for appearing in Basket Case, and having guest cameos in all of Frank Henenlotter's following films. RIP.

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have a tentative list of 35 movies I'm planning to watch I barely finished watching 30 last year. So I'm thinking of watching the nightmare on elm street movies before October.
  • One Cut of the Dead (2017)
  • Dawn of the Dead Argento's cut (1978)
  • Day of the Dead (1985)
  • Zombi 2 (1979)
  • Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993)
  • Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014)
  • Dance of the Dead (2008)
  • Evil Dead Trap (1988)
  • Fido (2006)
  • Werewolves Within (2021)
  • What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
  • Halloween 2 (1981)
  • Halloween Kills (2021)
  • Possession (1981)
  • Thirst (2009)
  • Audition (1999)
  • Honeymoon (2014)
  • Blood and Roses (1960)
  • Hellraiser (1987)
  • Dead & Buried (1981)
  • House (1977)
  • House (1986)
  • Rosemary's Baby (1968)
  • Last Night in Soho (2021)
  • Sleepaway Camp (1983)
  • Castle Freak (1995)
  • Rabid (1977)
  • From Beyond (1986)
  • Demonic (2021)
  • Black Christmas (1974)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : Dream warriors (1987)
  • New Nightmare (1994)
  • The Birds (1963)
  • Green Room (2015)
  • The Fan (1982)

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might join in on the fun this year!

You're not required to make or abide by your list. On a standard one of these something may happen where I have to swap out a choice at the last minute for something else. For ones I have listed it's mostly stuff I have stockpiled (including new stuff). Like I held off on watching The Lighthouse specifically for this

Might we add Marilyn Eastman from Night of the Living dead to the "celebrities we lost" list?
https://deadline.com/2021/08/marilyn-eastman-dead-night-of-the-living-dead-actress-1234820501/
Added

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say they're all worth a watch. Scream 2 is definitely a lot of fun. Scream 3 is probably the weakest of the bunch, but it's not terrible or anything.
I'm biased against 4 because I don't like Emma Roberts. I can't disassociate her from her popular girl typecasting, even when she's not like in stuff like Scream 4 and Nerve and Unfabulous

Sidney has the most character development of any longstanding horror protagonist except for maybe Laurie in Halloween