• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
YBB8eGa.png

Tonight's thread is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This as you may recognize is the 31 Days of Horror thread, still in operation, waiting for you...

We invite you if you dare to participate, because in tonight's thread, YOU are the star. And this thread travels directly to...Resetera

Big thank you to ThirstyFly for doing all the previous threads. I'll do my best to keep it going.

Time is ticking down until we hit October, so this'll give you some time to get your list in order before the party starts.

6DtMM3R.png

5mvqdv.gif

The Game is as thus:
  1. Beginning on October 1st, you must watch as many feature-length horror/Halloween-themed films as you can until October 31st. You're aiming for 1 per day. Maybe you'll watch more, maybe you'll watch less. Do your best.
  2. Keep track of how many films you've watched. When you finish a film, post the title, along with a brief sum-up of your thoughts on it. Cross-posts must be posted in full.
  3. Minimum film length is 45 minutes. Any short films that pass this length will be accepted.
  4. Binge-watching TV shows to fill your quota will not be tolerated...
  5. 5mvr41.gif
  6. Mark any spoilers in your posts accordingly.

G9iyBmo.png

Not all of us have access to an insane amount of physical and digital horror films, but may still want to participate. For those people, there are a few digital resources to help you out
  • Shudder (7 Day Free Trial): Streaming service dedicated entirely to horror. Plenty of originals, classics, and that weird shit you caught 30 minutes of while half asleep at a Motel 6.
  • ShoutFactoryTV-Horror (Free): EXCLUSIVELY that weird shit you caught 30 minutes of while half asleep at a Motel 6
  • Kings of Horror-YouTube (Free): Plenty of Free lesser known films that you can catch with the Motel 6's free WiFi
  • TubiTV (Free): Many you know, many you don't, many you haven't seen since that Motel 6

We also seem to be in a resurgence of major theatrical horror films this year. I know what you're thinking:
5mvrvi.gif

The theaters definitely aren't an option for a lot of us. Fortunately a lot of newer films are available via other streaming resources. Just to name a few

• Malignant (HBO Max)
  • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (HBO Max)
  • Don't Breathe 2: Amazon, Microsoft, Google Play, Vudu, YouTube, Redbox
  • Candyman: Amazon, Vudu

qkm6RO8.png

Recommendations:
Let me know if you have a recommendation list that you'd like added.

O5wJpSc.png

As always, we remember those horror icons we lost this year:
hqdefault.jpg

Clarence Williams III (1939-2021) - Mainly known for The Mod Squad, many in the horror community knew him as the creepy but animated mortician who "educated" the gang members who came looking for "the shit" in Tales from the Hood.

lockjaw-rise-of-the-kulev-serpent-2008-film-rcm720x408u.jpg

DMX (1970-2021) - Known for his rap career, he joined the pantheon of horror film rappers among the likes of LL Cool J, Rah Digga, and Ice Cube when he was featured in the film Lockjaw

Barbara_Shelley_in_Village_of_the_Damned_1960.jpg

Barbara Shelley (1932-2021) - Known for Village of the Damned and Dracula, Prince of Darkness

Yaphet Kotto (1939-2021) - Known for Live and Let Die as well as his role as Parker in the legendary horror film Alien.

210417165050-felix-silla-cousin-itt-addams-family-died-restricted-large-169.jpg

Felix Silla (1937-2021) - Known for playing Cousin Itt in the original The Addams Family

mh-mkw-boardwalk-1602868400.jpg

Michael K Williams (1966-2021) - Known primarily for The Wire but will join this list for his role in the HBO Series Lovecraft Country

220px-Nosferatu_a_Venezia_%281988%29_Christopher_Plummer.jpg

Christopher Plummer (1929-2021) - Well known for many roles, but will join this list for Vampire in Venice, among other films

Enzo_Sciotti_portrait.jpg

Enzo Sciotti (1944-2021) - Famous Italian movie poster artist responible for the Italian posters of films like The House by the Cemetery, Army of Darkness, Cujo, Maximum Overdrive, and many more

witchboard-film-still-scream-factory.jpg

Tawny Kitaen (1961-2021) - Known for her starring role in the film Witchboard

38e329c8e4de2b1d20064b9552bd470a.jpg

Cloris Leachman (1926-2021) - Known for the role of Frau Blücher-
AmusedReflectingDogfish-size_restricted.gif

...ahem, in the Mel Brooks horror comedy Young Frankenstein, among many others

15905_1.jpg

Carmine Capobianco (1958-2021) - Known for Psychos In Love

julie-strain-rip-main.jpg

Julie Strain (1962-2021) - Known primarily for Heavy Metal 2000, she also earned the title of "Queen of B-movies" with a massive resume of films

images

Daria Nicolodi (1950-2020) - Italian actress who starred in many Italian horror films, such as Phenomena and Paganini Horror. She also co-wrote the screenplay for Suspiria

Marilyn_Eastman_as_Helen_Cooper_in_Night_of_the_Living_Dead.png

Marilyn Eastman (1933-2021) - Known for playing Helen Cooper, a zombie extra, and providing makeup work for George Romero's Night of the Living Dead

If you have other icons you'd like added to this list, please let me know

BIb3AeQ.png

You know the rules, you have what you need.
UncommonInnocentArmednylonshrimp-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hell yeah!

Still working on my list, but it be back to 15-20 films this year, since I have a more crazy schedule. XD Focusing on a mini-theme on Resident Evil and Evil Dead stuff for their anniversaries, so guess Evil Anniversary mini-theme or something. :V

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get started! It's weird how this annual thread has changed my viewing habits for horror movies. I now stop watching them all year round so I can stockpile a list to watch in October.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Z-Beat for keeping this awesome tradition alive and to Thirsty for initiating what has genuinely become one of my highlights of the year.

I'm going for a folk horror/period piece theme this time round. Excited to get started.

Final Ranked List

Film no 1 - The Wicker Man (1973)
Film no 2 - Witchfinder General
Film no 3 - Heretiks aka The Convent
Film no 4 - The Hallow
Film no 5 - Coven of Sisters
Film no 6 - Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight
Film no 7 - Isolation
Film no 8 - Rites of Spring
Film no 9 - The Necromancer
Film no 10 - Wrong Turn (2021)
Film no 11 - From The Dark (2014)
Film no 12 - Cold Ground
Film no 13 - Blood Harvest aka The Curse/Ballard of Audrey Earnshaw
Films no 14, 15 and 16 - The Fear Street Trilogy
Film no 17 - The Mare
Film no 18 - Sator
Film no 19 - Sacrifice
Films no 20 and 21 - Black Plague and Black Death
Film no 22 - The Block Island Sound
Films no 23 and 24 - Blood Vessel and Ghosts of War
Film no 25 - The Borderlands aka Final Prayer
Film no 26 - The Devil Below
Film no 27 - Gretel and Hansel
Film no 28 - Crone Wood
Films no 29 and 30 - The Dark (2018) and Halloween Kills
Film no 31 - The Banishing
Films no 32 and 33 - The Cleansing and The Reckoning
Film no 34 - Madres
Film no 35 - The Siren
Film no 36 - Gallows Hill
Film no 37 - Blackwood
Film no 38 - The Woman In Black (1989)
Film no 39 - The Wretched
Film no 40 - Evil Takes Root - The Curse of the Batibat
Film no 41 - The Power
Film no 42 - The Pale Door
Film no 43 - In The Earth
Film no 44 - Midsommar
Film no 45 - Viy
Film no 46 - Thale
Film no 47 - Crimson Peak
Film no 48 - The Lighthouse
Film no 49 - Sleepy Hollow
Film no 50 - The VVitch

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'll be able to do this this year, working from home can watch while I work!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I always do the 31 but I always forget to update here. I'll try to do better this year. I have a rough outline of some titles I want to check out, I think it's gonna be a good month.

I also have the first half of October off work so it will just be horror heaven.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Aww, I take it Thirstyfly isn't active anymore? I'll miss that dude. I'm glad somebody is there to carry on the legacy. Nice OP, Z-beat.

My tentative list I'm working with this year.

31 Days of Horror (2021) - Pull List https://boxd.it/dmZAm

If Candyman is truly going on demand then I'll definitely have to move some stuff around for it.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching tons of horror films in the past few months that I could've easily filled this in October, guess I need to step my game up

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Z-Beat, thanks for taking over. And ThirstyFly, thanks for 10 years of amazing threads. I actually started mid-August this year, so I'm hoping to end up somewhere around 60 films when all is said and done. I've been slipping the last few years and I've got tons of acclaimed and classic horror that I haven't seen and need to cross off my list. I've been participating in this thread since the old place, but I just watched The Shining for the first time a couple weeks ago!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Thanks ThirstyFly for the previous years and thanks Z-Beat for this year's. I love this thread. Will be my 4th year in a row.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My favorite time of year. Yay. I watch horror all year round but Halloween is always fun.

Ill come up with 31 this year again. Last year I focused on older horror flicks, this year will be a bit of everything. Maybe broken up into different categories.

5 foreign flicks
5 slashers (new and old)
5 ghost flicks
Etc etc.

Ya'll got your lists yet?

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
As always, we remember those horror icons we lost this year:

If you have other icons you'd like added to this list, please let me know

Great job on the OP, Z-Beat and thanks for taking over. I'm shocked you put it together with so much content that quickly! It took me forever when I did it. Thought you might want to know, the white graphic titles aren't visible for us heathens on the white theme (making the graphics work on both themes was always a headache for me).

A couple of other icons we lost since the last thread if you wanted to include them:
- Daria Nicolodi (1950-2020) (Italian horror icon & Dario Argento collaborator)
- Julie Strain (1962-2021) (B-movie legend)
- Carmine Capobianco (1958-2021) (B-movie actor and writer, most well known for Psychos in Love)
- Christopher Plummer (1929–2021) (Vampire in Venice, The Clown at Midnight, probably way more)
- Cloris Leachman (1926-2021) (Frau Blücher! She had quite the career in horror comedies)
- Tawny Kitaen (1961–2021) (Witchboard)
- Enzo Sciotti (1944-2021) (Legendary Italian movie poster artist)
- Michael K Williams (1966-2021) (Lovecraft Country and a couple of smaller roles in Ghostbusters (2016) and You're Nobody 'til Somebody Kills You, probably more)

Aww, I take it Thirstyfly isn't active anymore? I'll miss that dude. I'm glad somebody is there to carry on the legacy. Nice OP, Z-beat.

Oh, don't worry, I'm still slogging around the pits. It felt like it was time to inject some new life into the old beast so decided pass the thread on to some fresh blood. I'll still be participating in the marathon. Somebody has to recommend Basket Case and rant incoherently about Italian movies, and that somebody's gonna be me!

Thanks Z-Beat for keeping this awesome tradition alive and to Thirsty for initiating what has genuinely become one of my highlights of the year.

Z-Beat, thanks for taking over. And ThirstyFly, thanks for 10 years of amazing threads. I actually started mid-August this year, so I'm hoping to end up somewhere around 60 films when all is said and done. I've been slipping the last few years and I've got tons of acclaimed and classic horror that I haven't seen and need to cross off my list. I've been participating in this thread since the old place, but I just watched The Shining for the first time a couple weeks ago!

Yes! Thanks ThirstyFly for the previous years and thanks Z-Beat for this year's. I love this thread. Will be my 4th year in a row.

Thanks for the kind words everyone and Z-Beat for keeping the corpse kicking. And of course, thanks to our amazing horror community who helped this madness to continue for so many years. Let's keep this spooky train going!

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll recommend the following to those who haven't seen these yet:

Host - film about a Zoom seance gone wrong
The Host - film about environmental hazard gone wrong
Lake Mungo - mockumentary about a family grieving the loss of their loved one
Caveat - slick film about a man asked to stay in a house but with...er, caveats
Terrified - film about going-ons in a suburb, you've seen this before but it's still really effective
Eden Lake - couple goes on a lakeside vacation
Inside - pregnant woman is stalked by another woman
Creep - guy agrees to document man's life

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Love this time of year! I watch horror all year around, but I save my most anticipated, weirdest, obscure stuff for 31 Days of Horror. For 2021, no particular theme but all first time watches for me:

1. Cat People (1942)
2. Black Sunday (1960)
3. Onibaba (1964)
4. A Bloodthirsty Killer (1965)
5. Morgiana (1972)
6. Diabel (1972)
7. Horror Express (1972)
8. Alucarda (1977)
9. Night of Death! (1980)
10. The Queen of Black Magic (1981)
11. Corpse Mania (1981)
12. Superstition (1982)
13. Cat People (1982)
14. The Final Terror (1983)
15. Cemetery of Terror (1985)
16. Poison for the Fairies (1986)
17. Lurkers (1988)
18. Beyond the Door III (1989)
19. Grave Robbers (1989)
20. The Sect (1991)
21. Intruder (1997)
22. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
23. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
24. Bone Sickness (2004)
25. Rogue (2007)
26. Fetus (2008)
27. Kidnapped (2010)
28. Cryptic Plasm (2013)
29. The Wolf House (2018)
30. The Queen of Black Magic (2019)
31. The Last Matinee (2020)

Dec 30, 2020
I'll recommend One Cut of the Dead, Tigers Aren't Afraid, and The People Under the Stairs for folks!

Also Pontypool and Deep Rising.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Can I watch multiple films on the weekend to catch up? I leave for work at 7:30am and get gone at 10:30, so it doesn't leave much time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some suggestions and recommendations for people assembling their lists

1950s

Dementia (1955)
The Carnival of Souls of scuzzy noir, a crime-horror witching-hour nightmare. No dialogue, all shadow-&-concrete psychosexual tableaux. Before Eraserhead, a decade before Repulsion, there was Dementia.

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
So much classic genre cinema harkens backs to this British sci-fi horror procedural. Its stages of mutating body-horror predate The Fly, while other elements echo everything from District 9 and Frankenstein to Sherlock Holmes.

The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959)
A festering jidaigeki gutter - anguish, murder, and body horror - well before the vengeful specter arrives. The J-horror legacy is undeniable and the kabuki gothic eeriness has lost none of its power.

1960s

The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
A cascade of bleak fates, a Gothic tragedy stretching across years and generations. Hammer's perpetual torment unfolds like a Grimm folk tale, spiraling through misery that encompasses noble and beggar alike.

Quatermass & The Pit (1967)
A creeping clinical shift from grounded intrigue to paranormal research to mass chaos, paving the way for Carpenter's Prince of Darkness and Hooper's Lifeforce

Viy (1967)
Those final ten minutes of Viy ran so Obayashi's House could soar a decade later and Evil Dead 2 could blast out of orbit a decade after that. The folkish whimsy and supernatural onslaught of this Soviet horror (-comedy?) result in a uniquely energetic haunting

Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (1968)
Bizarre sci-fi horror with echoes of Twilight Zone, The Langoliers, and Matango. Hajime Sato deftly balances an atmosphere of gonzo bleak paranoia with taut contained thrills.

The House That Screamed (1969)
The House That Screamed is indebted to Psycho, but Black Christmas and Suspiria are indebted to The House That Screamed. This Spanish proto-giallo is cloaked in thick gothic mood.

1970s

Murrain (1975)
Nigel Kneale's delightfully ambiguous tale of modern folk horror and backwards misogynistic superstition.

Who Can Kill A Child? (1976)
Provocative sun-burnt dread marinating in the haunting influences of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Night of the Living Dead, and The Birds. Unnerving terror as a playful gleeful reckoning

Rituals (1977)
Raw hopelessness and a restrained approach to wilderness survival-horror, wrapped in a haze of cruel anxiety and suspenseful dread. Deliverance may be its ancestor, but Southern Comfort is its descendant.

Last edited:

BuddyJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always admire these threads. Going to do my best to participate this year.

My goal is low: 13 films that are having their decennial anniversary.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the most exciting time of the year. I enjoyed my 31 day marathon in 2020 and I'm not sure this will be as good. I really enjoyed Malignant and will throw it in rotation again but haven't seen any other horror movie this year as fun as that.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most exciting time of the year. I enjoyed my 31 day marathon in 2020 and I'm not sure this will be as good. I really enjoyed Malignant and will throw it in rotation again but haven't seen any other horror movie this year as fun as that.
My #3 of 2021 right now, what a wild batshit ride that was. In The Earth, Wrong Turn, Blood Red Sky, Caveat, Boy Behind The Door, Kandisha, Son, Sator, and We Need To Do Something have also been good 2021 horror

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I say this every year in these threads, but I watch 3-4 movies a day while I work so I can really pour on the pain for a monthly marathon! It was either last year or the year before where I watched all the Amityville movies, which was like 25ish movies or something and my ending count for the month was over 120 horror movies. That was semi painful TBH. So instead of cutting through a franchise, I'll just do random movies here and there. Oddly, I just finished the Hellraiser series and watched The Wolfman Has Nards, a documentary on Monster Squad, and then Monster Squad itself just last night.

I tend to not make a list and I also tend to not post a lot because to do a mini review and breakdown on so many movies a day is like a full time job lol.

The only solid tradition I have besides the marathon itself is that I start every year with the same movie, the Ninth Gate. Over the years, this movie has somehow become quite special to me. The score as the opening credits roll is a sign that the Halloween season is officially starting. The movie is slow and methodic, yet deeply interesting. It rewards a careful watcher. You can't second screen this one! The movie is "the banality of evil" put to film and I love every second it.

Seriously, just listen to this score!

the-ninth-gate-5227010cc7d86.jpg

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Woo welcome to the head of the table Z-Beat and thanks for al your hardwork in the past ThirstyFly

One of my favorite threads/projects since... the other place.

I am returning to a theme I've picked the last two years, but found something more interesting last moment. The concept of evil toys/dolls/figures/whatever. So right now got your Child's Play, Demonic Toys, Annabelle, Puppetmaster and the likes set up for the spooky season. Also looking for any obscure or off-the-beat recommendations folks may have.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Over the years I've been experimenting with the format of my lists. For example, last year I did all 80s movies, and during another previous year, I did theme weekdays (5 movies and leaving the weekends open for movies that didn't fit into the themes). This year I think I have the ultimate format.

31 Days of Horror (2021) - The Torment of the Terrible Trios

I'll be watching movies in groups of 3, based on a simple theme for each group. That'll allow me 10 themes to cover the month, with one free day (in which I'll probably watch Halloween Kills). I haven't chosen my exact 10 themes yet, but I have a list of themes and movies in those themes that I will choose from during the marathon depending on what I feel like watching. Here's a selection of what themes I've come up with and choosing from:

- [In]animate Objects
- Mangling Machinery
- Japanese Insanity
- French Frights
- The Jess Franco Selection
- The Paul Naschy Selection
- The Coffin Joe Trilogy
- The Giallo Selection (Italian) [of course!]
- The Giallo Selection (Non-Italian)
- Unofficial Italian [Ripoff] Sequels (aka In-Name-Only Sequels)
- Unofficial Italian Evil Dead (La casa) [Ripoff] Sequels
- Totally not Dracula (aka Nosferatu)
- The Hammer Dracula & Karnstein Series (Finale)
- The Hammer Frankenstein Series (Beginning)
- What is the password? Ooorrrrrrgggyyy.

I'm pretty excited. I've got some real wacky stuff lined up.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
After 3 years away, I'm throwing my dirty brown hat back into the ring and completing some franchises.

Letterboxd list

1. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
2. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
3. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
4. Halloween H20 (1998)
5. Halloween Resurrection (2002)
6. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)
7. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
8: Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
9. Friday the 13th Party VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
10. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
11. Jason X (2001)
12. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
13. A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989)
14. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
15. Evil Dead (2013)
16. Land of the Dead (2005)
17. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)
18. Son of Frankenstein (1939)
19. Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
20. House of Frankenstein (1944)
21. Dracula's Daughter (1936)
22: House of Dracula (1945)
23. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
24. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
25. Dead and Buried (1981)
26. Kwaidan (1964)
27. Midsommar (2019)
28. A Quiet Place Part II (2020)
29. [REC] (2007)
30. Last Night in SoHo (2021)
31. Halloween Kills (2021)

Previous years:

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's the most wonderful time of the year!!

I'm going all out this year for Halloween as well as for the October Marathon.

As always, I'll be running a fundraiser for a local charity by donating a certain amount of money for each film watched in October. I have decided on one yet, but suggestions are welcomed.

Still getting my list together.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up: If ya'll are gonna sub to Shudder, you might as well sub to AMC+ instead. For $8.99/month, it gives you the following services:

- AMC (useful for their exclusive shows and The Walking Dead's shows a week early)
- Shudder
- Sundance Now
- BBC America
- IFC Films Unlimited

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Killer thread OP!

i started an F13 marathon a bit early, but I'll certainly be participating as much as possible next month
Heads up: If ya'll are gonna sub to Shudder, you might as well sub to AMC+ instead. For $8.99/month, it gives you the following services:

- AMC (useful for their exclusive shows and The Walking Dead's shows a week early)
- Shudder
- Sundance Now
- BBC America
- IFC Films Unlimited
Very true for the monthly route, but for anyone interested in going annual, you can find discount codes online right on Google

I got an annual sub for $40, practically a steal.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Always a good time doing these every year (even if I'm awful at updating the threads on my progress). It's the most wonderful time of the year, I love seeing so many people watching and sharing their thoughts on a bunch of horror. No theme this year, as usual I've got a list of a few dozen movies that I'll pick and choose from and keep things flexible for shared watches as they come up.

p.png

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try this again. I get the movies in, but don't post about them. I usually wind up with a backlog to post about, so I give up. But this year, I'll try to post right after I watch them. My preliminary list:

Malignant
Halloween Kills
May the Devil Take You Too
The Queen of Black Magic
The Editor
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears
Last Night in Soho
Cold Hell
Satan's Slaves (2017)
Impetigore
Censor
Piercing
Antlers
All the Colors of the Dark
Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Strip Nude for Your Killer
What Have You Done to Solange?
What Have They Done to Your Daughters?
Halloween
Halloween (2018)
Phenomena
The Brood
Torso
Inferno
Suspiria
Opera
May the Devil Take You
Evil Dead (2013)
Demons
Evil Dead Trap

I'll probably swap some stuff out, but I' want to stick with a good mix of old favorites and new watches. Looking forward to doing this!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was only able to do the 31 movies marathon once, years ago, and it was a real fucking grind that I don't think I'll ever repeat lol. It doesn't help that my wife and I tend to go on trips just about every October now either. So my horror marathons have been shrinking, but I usually do about 10-15 every year. I think this year my plan is to do maybe one from each decade. Here's what I'm currently thinking:

40s: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
50s: Invasion of the Body Snatchers
60s: Seconds
70s: Duel or Alice, Sweet Alice
80s: tossup between The Howling and Road Games. Might also do Ghostbusters, in the run-up to the new movie.
90s: From Dusk Til Dawn
00s: The Host
10s: Attack the Block or Contagion
20s: Halloween Kills

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
1. Cat People (1942)
13. Cat People (1982)

I suggest doing a back to back viewing because the 80's version is such a departure that it is like watching an entirely different movie except for one or two key scenes from the original. Years ago I did a "Original & Remake(s)" type of marathon and these two were one of the first on my list. It is really interesting what scenes from the original make the cut into a remake and Cat People is no exception. IMO this is also a clear case of the original being significantly better than the remake!

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My movie-viewing has taken a dive this year as I've put more time into games. But this is a good way to bolster my numbers! Definitely going to do a run of the Halloween series leading up to the new one, though I kind of already do that every year.

I did go through one franchise I was unfamiliar with last year, Sleepaway Camp. It was a bumpy road as I really only enjoyed one (kind of), though I'm open to cracking into a horror series I've never seen before. Will definitely be some lighter fare in there, judging by all the Disney+ stuff I watched last year.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I love these threads! I'll not make it to 30 (like ususal) this year but I'll keep an eye out for the odd horror classic and post about it.
Also like to be inspired by some picks in here.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing this since 2015. Last year I wasn't able to get to 31 due to extenuating circumstances, but this year is full steam ahead. I've narrowed down my huge list of candidates down to 35 or so.

I always try to have a potpourri of horror genres to keep things interesting. I don't know how some of you guys can go through the whole month watching just a few different series. Consult your doctor before watching the entire Hellraiser series.