• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Given a choice of frame rates between 30/60

• I always pick 60fps

Votes: 2,595 76.9%
  • I always pick 30fps (possibly with improved visual)

Votes: 126 3.7%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 640 19.0%
  • AC Valhalla at 30fps, rest at 60

Votes: 14 0.4%

• Total voters

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, how have you been able to play video games as a regular hobby ever if anything below 60 fps makes you sick? Is 30 enough to trigger that, or are you only impacted by frame rates lower than that? And also, it should go without saying that vision related illnesses or things like epilepsy are valid reasons to prefer or require extremely high refresh rates - getting sick is a 100% valid reason. But that's not what I was talking about, I was talking about people who specifically say things like how anything below 60 is a powerpoint presentation and isn't worthy of them. Getting sick and being pretentious aren't the same thing.
Playing for almost 30 years now. 30 fps makes me a bit uneasy (and it has gotten worse with age) unless it's a very slow-playing game but anything about 45 and up I'm fine. (GSYNC monitor helps). Given that most displays with vsync work with multiples either 30/60/120 without adaptive refresh rate, ya, 60 is about the bare minimum for me.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So....Rift Apart has me changing my mind on this.

It depends on the game/how its all implemented. The 30fps option in that game is really, really good. I didnt use 60fps once. Only for seeing which to choose.

Miles I chose 60fps for the most part.
same. the 30fps in R&C feels leagues better than the 30fps in Miles and many other games. also nixed the motion blur and the visual clarity is just sublime. i haven't felt the urge to switch to 60fps like i thought i would, and i'm fairly certain the resolution trade off here is worth it depending on your display.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Depends on the game but usually my eyes adjust pretty quickly either way. As long as it's locked 30/60 I tend to forget about it after a few minutes.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
Except current consoles don't need to sacrifice, if a game is running at 4k and is a decent engine the odds are you just offer a performance mode at 1080/1440p. Last gen metrics don't apply to damn decent and effective consoles this gen. Ratchet shows it's not necessary to sacrifice like other gens, if a dev is badly utilizing this gen it's not on consoles and their potential. Same for forza horizon 5 which should scale insanely across a lot of stuff.

Almost every aspect of console base spec has improved or been improved decently to massively.

You also don't score really good corporate deals either.
Corporate deals?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It is actually incredible that anyone would prefer 30fps to 60fps in an Assassin's Creed game. Like that is just unthinkable to me.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It is actually incredible that anyone would prefer 30fps to 60fps in an Assassin's Creed game. Like that is just unthinkable to me.
it's unthinkable for any genre lmao. sure there are some where 30 can be more tolerable, but 60 still plays better and has better input response

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
it's unthinkable for any genre lmao. sure there are some where 30 can be more tolerable, but 60 still plays better and has better input response

It is just beyond me in AC though. I am a PC guy through and through, play at 120hz usually but even I don't mind playing stuff like Ratchet at 30fps or Last of Us 2 etc. Assassin's Creed games feel pretty bad at 30fps, though. I quit playing it on console because of that. Getting the PC version was a revelation.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I've never noticed the difference of 30 to 60 fps and couldn't tell you which is which unless it's a side-to-side comparison, so I go for better textures and graphics

I believe that to people that can notice the difference that 60 is better, but I'm fine with 30

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Depends on the game for me.

Action-oriented game? 60fps no doubt.

Cinematic game filled with setpieces and vistas? 30fps at max resolution.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
30fps, when perfectly stable, is a non-issue. The funny thing is many 30fps games actually have regular framerate fluctuations which makes the whole thing look bad.
This always gets me, when people say unlocked >30 FPS is better than 30 FPS. I prefer 60 and up. But if the choice is an unlocked "60" or stable 30 on console, I'll choose 30 because unstable framerates below 60 are the devil.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
I dont really mind 30fps at all and never understood what the fuss is all about. I dont get it, see it, or have an opinion about it.

Guess I am crazy

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Almost always 60+ when there's a choice, but a game that doesn't absolutely require twitch reflexes I'll always play both for ten minutes and then decide if I'd prefer the additional polish. Sometimes I'll feel too much is being sacrificed for 60 and I'll choose 30.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I have a pretty high tolerance to 30 fps, but generally, if there's a 60 fps mode I'll take it.

I was playing control on Series X recently (haven't played it in a bit need to get back to it), but I decided to do the 30 fps mode just to really get a feel for the RT, and the RT is amazing, but I flipped the performance mode for like 2-3 minutes, and you can just feel the difference in the controller.

I generally look at frame-rate on a case by case basis, largely because you have finite resources for console, and some genres benefit more from prettier visuals/resolution while others benefit more from frame-rate. case in point, I can't really imagine playing any first person shooter at 30 fps anymore, but for something like TLOU part 2, I had no issue playing it at 30 on my PS4 Pro.

With all of that being said though, if I'm given the option between the two, I will always go with performance modes, and in the case of the example I listed earlier in control, I think when I get back to that, I will just ply it in it's performance mode.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Also I prefer portable 30fps Doom over 60fps Doom and I'm stuck in one place or relying on an internet connection to stream it on a phone.

Ideally I'd prefer a 60fps portable Doom on a Switch Pro 😜

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Games with a very cinematic character (like TLOU) for me personally feel a bit off in the beginning with 60fps from a presentation standpoint of view only (obviously 60fps plays much better!). It feels too 'gamey' or something like that.

Obviously, as it sits closer to the 24fps of movies, 30fps looks more natural from a presentation standpoint of view. But as 60fps plays much better I'll always go with 60fps and you get accustomed to it very fast and forget about the presentation issues regarding the cinematic character.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I will always prefer framerate over visuals. If I have to turn down graphics settings to get at least 60 FPS, that will always be my option. I primarily play on PC, so in the rare event I do play a game on console and it's 30 FPS, it seems like a PowerPoint presentation to me. If 30 is fine for you, more power to you, but I can't stand it. It just feels and plays like shit. I remember playing The Last of Us on PS3 after playing games on PC for a few years and it was really jarring going back to 30 FPS. It just felt so clunky and felt like it had a stutter.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Thread is big ??? energy with the attempts to defend 30fps in The Year of Our LORD Twenty Twenty-One. Are people just interpreting framerate arguments as attacks on Plastic Box and circling the wagons reflexively? That's the only way this makes any sense at all.

"Let me tell you why 30fps is better than 60--" No, this is valuable oxygen so let's not waste it on turning poo thoughts into poo words

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Well explain technically what makes 60fps the baseline for acceptable standards and not 30fps.

Why would I do that when that's not the position I'm taking? At no point did I say or imply that 60 fps is the baseline for acceptable standards. That being said, the following post is a pretty good breakdown of what you're asking for:

Motion clarity and responsiveness. But it's all about what each of us are used to really.

In 30fps games on console, even the best implementations of motion blur obscure detail when turning the camera.

And input latency... Some are better than others, but if I told you really every game at 30 fps feels like Read Dead 2 at 30fps to me you'd probably think I'm crazy, but they just feel ridiculously restrictive.

I recently finished Hellblade (really not a fast paced game) and switched back and forth between fps modes, but it felt like the controls were fighting against me at 30fps.

Jun 2, 2019
As always happens with framerate threads, this thread shows how baffingly assholic people can get in Era.

Let people enjoy what they enjoy, for Christs sake

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thread is big ??? energy with the attempts to defend 30fps in The Year of Our LORD Twenty Twenty-One. Are people just interpreting framerate arguments as attacks on Plastic Box and circling the wagons reflexively? That's the only way this makes any sense at all.

"Let me tell you why 30fps is better than 60--" No, this is valuable oxygen so let's not waste it on turning poo thoughts into poo words
Honestly 30FPS people remind me of flat earthers. They are dead set in their ways always spouting unwinnable "arguments", when it's a simple fact that 60FPS is better than 30FPS every single time in every single game in every single genre. i mean just look at all the 30fps arguments in this very thread, there isn't A SINGLE ARGUMENT that makes any sense whatsoever.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I really can't see myself going back to 30fps unless I have to. Like if somehow I'm in a situation where the game is console exclusive and can't run at 1080 60fps, so then I'm forced to go down to 30 to sustain a higher image quality….at that point I'll accept it. The game has to be top tier though and I can't think of anything currently new like that (that I hadn't already played last gen anyway).

1440 60fps is the sweet spot for me though. I mean, 1440 120+ is god tier (4K 60 on an OLED is the only trade off) but even my 3080 can't hit that for every title….so I'll accept 60 as bare minimum.

wortwort21

Jun 10, 2021
Of course 60 fps feels better. But 30 is far from unplayable, and anyone who says 30 is a 'slideshow' or any other such thing is a pretentious, hyperbolic clown who I just cannot take seriously.
Have you ever played any shooter at 30 fps? Especially against others who are at 60 or more? It genuinely ruins the gameplay experience. There's an objective latency, and when you're completely accustomed to faster gameplay and the world not becoming a blur as you turn the camera, it's not enjoyable to play like that. Maybe you're playing animal crossing or a sidescroller but your statement that 30fps is a fine experience, and people who feel otherwise are invalid, is extremely general and just as annoying.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Have you ever played any shooter at 30 fps? Especially against others who are at 60 or more? It genuinely ruins the gameplay experience. There's an objective latency, and when you're completely accustomed to faster gameplay and the world not becoming a blur as you turn the camera, it's not enjoyable to play like that. Maybe you're playing animal crossing or a sidescroller but your statement that 30fps is a fine experience, and people who feel otherwise are invalid, is extremely general and just as annoying.

Not everyone plays competitively. I played Doom (2016) on Switch and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was 30fps, of course.

Jun 2, 2019
Maybe you're playing animal crossing or a sidescroller but your statement that 30fps is a fine experience, and people who feel otherwise are invalid, is extremely general and just as annoying.

No, you see, this isn't true

Because the amount of people here invalidating users who say that 30 fps is a fine experience is way over the top, and some of them are being really disrespectful.

I wonder if you have something to say about them, hm?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
As someone who is now blown away by 60 FPS vs. 30 FPS, I can't even imagine what 120 FPS looks/feels like. I'm going to ask a stupid question here, but is there a "maximum" FPS before things just start looking/feeling absurd?

Depends on the person, really, but despite what Era will tell you, there are diminishing returns and jump from 30 to 60 is much more noticeable then jump from 60 to 120, with the exception of competitive PvP shooters.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
There is not a single game that feels better to play at 30fps. Not a single one, regardless of genre.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
As always happens with framerate threads, this thread shows how baffingly assholic people can get in Era.

Let people enjoy what they enjoy, for Christs sake
Yeah this. I really hope a lot of the "60 fps or die"-crowd is joking and over reacting because holy shit, the 60 fps-elite sounds more and more like crazies furiously typing in their "60fps is my baseline and should be the standard in 2021 and if you disagree you are wrong!!1!!"-opinions while foaming at the mouth lol.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this particular argument really brings out the worst in Era. I just don't understand the need for posters to go after each other like its displayed in here, specially for a topic that does come down to preference. We should be praising the fact that now, for the first time, we have a choice! There's no need to decide what the majority prefers because each and everyone of us can pick whatever he/she prefers.
My two cents: If both modes were exactly the same, then yes, 60fps would always be the better option. But, and there's a but, they're not the same, because the distinction in visual fidelity is still different, at least imho. So just pick what you prefer: better visuals or better performance (and yes, the disparity in performance is bigger than the one in visuals). And there's other stuff involved as well: locked or unlocked fps, with or without dips, the gameplay involved, if it's singleplayer or multiplayer, how well the studio uses animation and motion blur, etc.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I really hate it when devs try to compensate for their 30fps games by add excessive amounts of motion blur to it. Just awful. Even worse when they don't give you an option to turn it off.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Rock solid 30fps with good motion blur is completely fine when playing on a TV. It will never feel better than 60fps, assuming both are locked to their target fps. I can definitely see preferring 30fps if it comes with a better resolution, RTX, etc. And I would much rather play a locked 30fps game over an unlocked game that is constantly fluctuating between 60 and 30 or even consistently sticking to the 40fps range.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

PC is my favorite platform & I have a laptop with 144Hz refresh rate. I barely notice the difference between 30fps & 60fps unless it's like a high-speed racing game or unless I'm specifically on one of those "See the difference between different framerate" sites. And anything over 60fps feels like complete overkill to me with the difference being so miniscule that I have trouble seeing how anyone can even notice it in the middle of playing an intense game.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Myself, an enlightened individual, only accept frames that are comparable to remote mines in Goldeneye 64 multiplayer.

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing games since the ancient days. I tolerated low FPS and loved the games despite it. I even told myself it didn't matter much. I'm talking finishing Wing Commander on an Amiga 500, which barely ran.
60fps+, all day, every day. 60 feels so much better its incredible. I can't believe there are people saying they don't feel a much of a difference.

OP
OP
Joo

Joo

May 25, 2018
Honestly 30FPS people remind me of flat earthers. They are dead set in their ways always spouting unwinnable "arguments", when it's a simple fact that 60FPS is better than 30FPS every single time in every single game in every single genre. i mean just look at all the 30fps arguments in this very thread, there isn't A SINGLE ARGUMENT that makes any sense whatsoever.
Haha, you might be taking this a bit too seriously, Sam. Don't be a jerk. This is still about preference right? 60fps is the best way to play games, as long as it doesn't make some aspects of a certain game look worse.

To me this just happens with Valhalla. Game is very floaty animation wise and the MC or anything really isn't really that well connected to the game world. Combat doesn't have good impact. 60fps just makes this 100x more obvious to a point where it feels like you're swinging a wooden axe. It's very much the same feeling that The Hobbit at 48fps gives versus the usual 24fps. There's just something wrong.

I like to have a feeling I'm actually interacting with the world when playing a game like this and not just pretending to. Responsiveness comes after that. I can live with a worse image clarity because you're not spinning the camera all the time anyway. 30fps is responsive enough here, and makes the game feel better by adding some sense of weight to everything. It might be smoke and mirrors, so what? Who are you to say that this is somehow a wrong preference to have?

If possible I choose 60fps mode on basically every game I play on PS5 regardless of genre. The problem I had is more about Valhalla than 60fps in general, but of course it's not necessarily limited to Valhalla. For example especially Tlou2, but also games like GoW, Control and Sekiro feel absolutely amazing and weighty at 60fps.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
I prefer 60, but 30 doesn't make it a deal breaker. What's most important to me is a consistent framerate devoid of fluctuation. I'd rather have a solid 30fps than an inconsistent 60.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I can support liking the "look" of 30fps (with mb) but I don't think I can get behind liking the "feel" of 30fps.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
60 always, after playing on Series X anything that targets 30 just feels wrong for me.