• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Roll on October 15th for 30-series fiasco part 3. They learned fuck all from part 1, let's see if they take anything from part 2.

Narrator: Did they fuck.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Looking very good 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lol at that 480W mode though
www.techpowerup.com

ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 STRIX OC Review

The ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 STRIX OC is the fastest RTX 3090 we have tested today by quite the big margin. It also has a huge power limit adjustment range that maxes out at 480 W! We hance added a whole test run at 480 W to our review to see how much extra headroom RTX 3090 Ampere has left and...

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just ordered mine off Dell. Basically a brand new dev machine with it included. Won't come for a month though. But hype none the less - whole machine is a massive upgrade for my work! :)

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Damn the FE was bad for france...
constant loop "check availability/check buying options" main page -> detail page -> customs page, and when it didn't it was "out of stock".

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to order one from the Norwegian Nvidia store. The add to cart server seems to have completely shit the bed, so I used three browsers and used the network tab to monitor the POST to "add-to-cart" and retried when it inevitably failed. Eventually I got through. They seem to still be in stock fwiw.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Looking very good 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lol at that 480W mode though
www.techpowerup.com

ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 STRIX OC Review

The ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 STRIX OC is the fastest RTX 3090 we have tested today by quite the big margin. It also has a huge power limit adjustment range that maxes out at 480 W! We hance added a whole test run at 480 W to our review to see how much extra headroom RTX 3090 Ampere has left and...
Lol at 480w :D . Not much to gain on 3090 cards in terms of overclocking. Not worth it to run it at 480. And everyone went into panic mode and bought PSUs lol. Also not that great for board partners because they want to sell you those OC cards and you don't really get a good benefit for the increased price.

Seems like it's the best to buy a 3080 with somewhat good OC and you are already close to the 3090.

Worse than the 3080. Significantly less stock and instant scalpers on ebay after 9am.
People are stupid, buying 3090s for 2600+ euros on ebay. I can see someone buying a 3080 for 1k or 1.2k because that was the price of the 2080ti but going for more than 2k for a card that is only 10-15% faster? pff.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia order went from Pending to Processing. the pending charge is on my bank account, but i still dont have a confirmation email.

i dont feel comfortable.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so yeah I think I'll stick with the 2080 Ti until next year when it's easier to get a new card.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Don't worry guys we totally learned from the 3080 and took measures on our site against bots!

Kappa

Jenkins

Dec 6, 2018
Soooo, did I miss the FE on Best Buy? I saw the Nvidia store go out of stock right away. But I haven't seen BB do anything yet.

elelunicy

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo, did I miss the FE on Best Buy? I saw the Nvidia store go out of stock right away. But I haven't seen BB do anything yet.
Don't think it was ever in stock at Best Buy. I've been refreshing Best Buy non-stop since NVIDIA's store only allows one card per customer and BB is the only other place that sells the FE.

Does anyone know if BB had any stock of the 3080 FE on its launch day?

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I was considering getting a 3090 for production work ( video editing ) do we know when the next stock is expected?

josiah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get a 3080 so I settled on a 3090 Gigabyte from Best Buy. First world problems.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was considering getting a 3090 for production work ( video editing ) do we know when the next stock is expected?

Does a 3090 actually make a lot of sense for video editing? Wouldn't a 3080 give you the same improvements for encoding/decoding with just an about 10% loss in CUDA accelerated tasks? I would imagine that putting money towards things like PCI-E 4.0 storage, RAM and something like a Threadripper CPU would give you more noticable performance improvements. Curious if the tools you use are super VRAM hungry if you are not doing large 3D renders using a GPU renderer.

In no way telling you what to do or spend money on, just curious if programs like Premiere, After Effects and DaVinci Resolve are VRAM hungry.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Was able to get a 3090 from EVGA this morning (went up at 6am for ELITE members), it took me 37 mins to get through. Saw the 10% benchmarks, but I'll be happy going from SLI 2080 Ti's (completely not worth it) to single card 3090.

I also watched Jarrod'sTech's video to make myself feel better lol

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Godamn. dont buy this card for gaming. holy shit. look at this. 13% MAYBE for almost twice the price?!

This is not a gaming card. At all.

Oct 27, 2017
How beneficial is this card for VR though with the extra VRAM? Thinking it would make switching back and forth between steam VR, streaming, etc much faster. I also do a lot of baking with bakery in Unity.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Godamn. dont buy this card for gaming. holy shit. look at this. 13% MAYBE for almost twice the price?!

This is not a gaming card. At all.

The FE is definitely not a card for gaming over the 3080. The high-end 3090s such as the Strix OC do offer 20%+ improvements in some games, but now you're looking at an $1800 GPU vs $1500 GPU.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get a 3090 from EVGA this morning (went up at 6am for ELITE members), it took me 37 mins to get through. Saw the 10% benchmarks, but I'll be happy going from SLI 2080 Ti's (completely not worth it) to single card 3090.

I also watched Jarrod'sTech's video to make myself feel better lol

I did not know EVGA Elite membership was a thing despite buying a 2080ti from them and multiple Titans in the past. Just signed up for it.

Ya learn something new everyday.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I think I'll wait for a 20G 3080.

Glad I still have my 2080 Ti and didn't pre-order a 3080 or 3090.

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
pic_disp.php

I'm really sitting on the fence here, I can't justify paying double the price of a 3080 for 15-20% performance gain, but then again I do worry about the possible 10GB VRAM limitations.
Where's that 20GB version Nvidia?!

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Does a 3090 actually make a lot of sense for video editing? Wouldn't a 3080 give you the same improvements for encoding/decoding with just an about 10% loss in CUDA accelerated tasks? I would imagine that putting money towards things like PCI-E 4.0 storage, RAM and something like a Threadripper CPU would give you more noticable performance improvements. Curious if the tools you use are super VRAM hungry if you are not doing large 3D renders using a GPU renderer.

In no way telling you what to do or spend money on, just curious if programs like Premiere, After Effects and DaVinci Resolve are VRAM hungry.

6K RAW footage will eat up VRAM fast. Even 4K will max out a 2080ti/3080 if you stack effects or a warp stabilizer. For video editing, export times have long been irrelevant. The improvements 24gbs of VRAM brings while editing is a lot more valuable.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017

No problem, I really appreciate your reply.

My general rule is 20% is worth double the cost as it will pay for itself in client jobs. If I can add more affects and reduce render time I'll pay it. But I expected more of gap between the 3090 and 3080 in Da Vinci Resolve, which is the tool I'm working mostly in on production side. Seems like the extra VRAM isn't yielding a big enough delta right now.

www.pugetsystems.com

DaVinci Resolve Studio - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 & 3090 Performance

DaVinci Resolve has long been known for how well it utilizes the power of your GPU, but will it benefit from the raw power of the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB or RTX 3090 24GB video cards?

In this test, the new RTX 30-series cards put up some very impressive numbers. The RTX 3080 is terrific for its cost, beating the similarly priced RTX 2080 SUPER by a whopping 62%. Compared to the more expensive RTX 2080 Ti and Titan RTX, the RTX 3080 also handily beats those cards by around 30%. Dual RTX 2080 Ti is still faster than a single RTX 3080, but even that configuration is only ~15% faster.

and...

The RTX 3090 is even more impressive, beating the RTX 3080 by 13%, the Titan RTX by 44%, and the RTX 2080 Ti by 52%. In fact, it comes within 3% of the dual RTX 2080 Ti setup, which considering you get 24GB of VRAM compared to the 11GB on the 2080 Ti and a single RTX 3090 is significantly cheaper than two 2080 Ti's, is well worth the minor difference in performance.

I have a pretty wide budget for upgrading my production rig I can effectively upgrade GPU, go PCIE 4.0 and CPU without issue as some work I have will effectively pay for it. But going with the 3080 and upgrading later is definitely an option.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problem, I really appreciate your reply.

My general rule is 20% is worth double the cost as it will pay for itself in client jobs. If I can add more affects and reduce render time I'll pay it. But I expected more of gap between the 3090 and 3080 in Da Vinci Resolve, which is the tool I'm working mostly in on production side. Seems like the extra VRAM isn't yielding a big enough delta right now.

www.pugetsystems.com

DaVinci Resolve Studio - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 & 3090 Performance

DaVinci Resolve has long been known for how well it utilizes the power of your GPU, but will it benefit from the raw power of the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB or RTX 3090 24GB video cards?

and...

I have a pretty wide budget for upgrading my production rig I can effectively upgrade GPU, go PCIE 4.0 and CPU without issue as some work I have will effectively pay for it. But going with the 3080 and upgrading later is definitely an option.

Then I can see your reasoning, a $1500 GPU isn't really that expensive all things considered if you look at it for professional use, those 10-20% gains will pay for themselves over time and the extra VRAM will make it hold more value for professional usage for a way longer time than the current RTX 3080 as more workflows lean in to using the GPU.

I'd say go for it, waiting for a Quadro card or a potential 20gb 3080 Ti is probably not worth it compared to the 3090.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The benchmarks definitely serve to make it easier to accept not being able to land this card over a 3080.