Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
What possible justification has there ever been for "squatters rights"? Like, I get laws where things have strayed from good intentions, but what possible purpose could giving any squatter any rights ever serve? What is this evolved from?

I think initially the idea is that you can't just buy up a lot of property and let it go to waste.

It gives a slight help to the homeless and discourages property abandonment.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, the parents are being really generous in all of their eviction notices. Offering him over $1000 to start rent at a new place, offering to repair his car, offering to help him find a place, etc. The guy just sounds like an asshole.

I wonder what went wrong parent/child wise for it to have gotten this bad. Bad parenting or naturally a jerk? I need to avoid a similar fate with my own kids!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
There is a stark difference between "trying to better yourself, and living at home while you do it" and "IDGAF, I want to live FREE!!!!"

From the article, it sounds like this guy is the latter, not the former. Any parent worth their salt will help their kids, so long as the kids are putting in effort. No effort = tough love tho.

Yeah but at times I feel like I border on the latter. I start a job in two weeks and I do chores around the house and whatnot but I'm admittedly not as driven to live like a normal adult as I probably would be if I didn't live with my parents.

I also don't think my parents want me to pay bills or anything. I'll probably talk to them about it after I've been working for a few months.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would assume his parents are wealthy to be wasting money suing him, so, not really a big financial burden, if you can help someone from your family to eat I think that's ok!

I doubt if he was moving towards financial independence or employed somewhere or doing something positive with his life that his parents would bother going that far.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually reminded me of

220px-Pacific_Heights_DVD_Cover.jpg

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
In a lot of places, if you've been living at a place for 30 days, you live there, no rental agreement or anything written needed, and a proper eviction notice is required.

IF you make a payment in exchange for housing AND the landlord accepts it, only then is an implicit tenancy created. This guy didn't pay anything.

30 days of residency means a squatter has to be properly evicted too. That's just how it is. This is an area of law that is counterintuitive as hell.

No they don't. I've evicted plenty of people, I know how the process works.

Deleted member 3837

The stock image they used is amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
30 is way too old. To me, by 25 you should really be either out or at least have a plan to be out in the near future.

I'd love to. I have the opposite problem of the dude in the OP.

I just had to turn down an offer to move in with some friends because without me around my mother can't afford rent. Not every family is as well off as we'd like.

The guy in the OP though probably should get kicked out for his own good. Especially if his parents are willing to help set him up with apartment.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't own the home, his parents do. As mentioned before, he's not a tenant - there is no rental agreement and he hasnt paid any rent nor have the parents accepted anything that could be construed as consideration for rent. At this point he's a squatter.

You might as well be calling a 10 year old with a Nickelodeon Magizine subscription mailed to their parents house a squatter.

Anyways I was 30 when my dad forced me out, and I was actually paying rent (an escalating rent that eventually lead to costing me more than what I pay now... how's that for motivation to get out?). But he helped pay down about 25% of my student loans at the time so I can focus on paying rent instead of loans for a few years. The lawsuit screams something more than just this kid wouldn't get out of the house. maybe he was doing drugs? dealing from the house? Clearly owned weapons so perhaps they felt threatened.

What sucks about the whole thing is if I was paying what I pay towards rent towards my student Loans instead, I probably could have stayed with my dad another 5 years... been done paying down my student loans this year)and then moved out and been incredibly comfortable... but it's never that easy. Instead im still about 5 more years away from finishing my loans... Half of my income goes to rent, a quarter to my student loans, and the rest to bills. I have a savings account that basically goes no where because i break even because I'd rather put additional money into a 401k and benefits than have the immediate take home.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
IF you make a payment in exchange for housing AND the landlord accepts it, only then is an implicit tenancy created. This guy didn't pay anything.

No they don't. I've evicted plenty of people, I know how the process works.

That is simply not the law in New York State.

What Is Adverse Possession?
When a person takes "adverse possession" of a home, the legal term for occupying someone else's property, they obtain what are known as "squatter's rights." In the state of New York, a person has to live on the property openly and without permission of the owner for a period of at least 10 uninterrupted years to be able to claim "adverse possession." But New York City has its own set of adverse possession laws—and those laws grant a person squatter's rights after just 30 days! 30 DAYS.

After 30 days, a NYC squatter has the right to continue living there until the actual owner goes through the process of legal eviction. Just as the post in HONY described, the NYC eviction process is lengthy (it can take up to a year!) and expensive. For smaller scale landlords like the one this person works for, it can be easier to just pay the squatter off than to pay hefty legal bills.

He is legally a tenant.

https://www.buildium.com/blog/squatters-rights-in-nyc/

Last edited:

MotionRed

Alt Account
Banned
May 17, 2018
Sorry if this question has been answered, but if the parents decide to sell the house, would this fellow be the new owner's problem?

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved out when I was 29, it's more of a culture thing for us because we're not expected to move out until we're married. And even then, I'm helping my parents with bills and stuff since I have a decent job. This dude, however, sounds like an asshat, like he's there to only take advantage of his parents. Would love to see a picture of him just to confirm what's already in my mind.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I moved out when I was 29, it's more of a culture thing for us because we're not expected to move out until we're married. And even then, I'm helping my parents with bills and stuff since I have a decent job. This dude, however, sounds like an asshat, like he's there to only take advantage of his parents. Would love to see a picture of him just to confirm what's already in my mind.

Here's the stock photo one news source was using, lol:
RS4838_1554007.jpg

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this question has been answered, but if the parents decide to sell the house, would this fellow be the new owner's problem?

Let's be honest.

The house isn't in a sellable condition if there is a squatter on the property that won't leave. No investor would buy it. They would be unable to do any walkthroughs or an open house.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm a 30 year old man and I still live at home so this hits home.

BTW, in before kill yourself, or any memes, have a long standing job, car, gf, savings, 401K. Just got fucked up with student loans and low pay in a brutal area price wise. Sure I could move to the country and be completely alone! :) :) :) :) No newphew, no friends, no family.. isn't that a great idea!!!!
Get out of your parents house. Surely you've managed to save some money living at home and working for years. Time to grow up.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That is simply not the law in New York State.

He is legally a tenant.

https://www.buildium.com/blog/squatters-rights-in-nyc/

Link says has to live "openly and without permission" from the owner. He's been living there with permission, so this should not qualify as an adverse possession.

In any case, my experience with evictions is only in the SF Bay Area, and this if this really is an unlawful detainer action it's the weirdest one I've ever heard of. Would be really interesting to see the complaint.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am 30 and would move out if I could afford it. Rent prices rose 12.5% in the past year in Ireland. Average rent in my commute zone is more than I make a month.

Looking around I found one called "Harry Potter Experience" it was a mattress shoved under the stairs for €900 a month. Another place was not charging for a room but per person. It was previously rented for €1,000 a month for two bed rooms. He put in bunk beds and started charging €1,000 per person.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He could help them around the house with things their bodies can't do anymore , keep them out of nursing homes.

One would hope he betters himself financially and could help with their healthcare and other things.
He's not going to better a damn thing if they let him lay around their house another 30 years. A good kick I. The ass would help him immensely.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I am 30 and would move out if I could afford it. Rent prices rose 12.5% in the past year in Ireland. Average rent in my commute zone is more than I make a month.

Looking around I found one called "Harry Potter Experience" it was a mattress shoved under the stairs for €900 a month. Another place was not charging for a room but per person. It was previously rented for €1,000 a month for two bed rooms. He put in bunk beds and started charging €1,000 per person.

Is the economy in Ireland fucked right now or something? That does not seem right at all.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
He's not a tenant though. There isn't a rental agreement. He might be able to make the argument that paying for expenses/chipping in could be construed as paying rent but he hasnt paid his folks anything.

Dunno why the parents just didn't call the cops on him and say he's trespassing.

Doesn't matter. I tried kicking a releativ out of my home and the police wouldn't allow it. They said my options were to let them live with me rent free or legally evict them.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Guess locking him out of the house while he's gone for a few hours doesn't work anymore? I assume he leaves the house sometimes right? Lock him out, out as much of his stuff as possible in the front yard, and call a 1 hour locksmith to change the locks.

There's laws protecting squatter children that parents have let live in their house with no rent.

The guy sounds like a real loser though.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Link says has to live "openly and without permission" from the owner. He's been living there with permission, so this should not qualify as an adverse possession.

In any case, my experience with evictions is only in the SF Bay Area, and this if this really is an unlawful detainer action it's the weirdest one I've ever heard of. Would be really interesting to see the complaint.

It's more complicated in New York State.

As mentioned in the original article, an ejectament action has to take place to eject family members that aren't tenants. That has to be taken up with the New York Supreme Court and is a lengthier process than an eviction.

I would be surprised if California didn't have similar laws.

https://www.longislandfamilylawandmediation.com/2016/07/28/evictions-family-adult-child-new-york/

ETA:

The court in Kosa v. Legg found that the case law regarding whether a notice to quit is required in an ejectment action and which kind of notice is required is inconsistent. In that case, the court held that the common law requirement of a six-month notice to quit needed to be fulfilled before a tenant with an indefinite term could be removed through an ejectment action.

Six months is up in July if their first notice to quit was in February as reported.

And I found that California does not have similar requirements. Adults that had no obligation to pay rent are merely guests in the eyes of the law and can be thrown out for any reason at any time.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Get out of your parents house. Surely you've managed to save some money living at home and working for years. Time to grow up.

Crappy jobs and student loans leave me with some savings, enough for security deposit sure, it's still about a lack of income. I was out for a while with a contract to hire job where they cut the budget and I was booted with no warning, second time that happened in the past three years.

Life is hard, you try to move forward, ignore those passing judgement. :)

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am 30 and live at home with my family and the thought of just sitting around and doing nothing to help with rent/the house just irks me. Then again I practically did the things from 21-27 while I was dealing with some mental health issues. I'd move out but like at least one other poster here they wouldn't be able to afford to live here if I wasn't here to help with the bills.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm a 30 year old man and I still live at home so this hits home.

BTW, in before kill yourself, or any memes, have a long standing job, car, gf, savings, 401K. Just got fucked up with student loans and low pay in a brutal area price wise. Sure I could move to the country and be completely alone! :) :) :) :) No newphew, no friends, no family.. isn't that a great idea!!!!

Obviously there's a big difference between someone living at home in later years while they get their financial and career situation worked out and have worked it out with their parents and someone like this dude.

The dude basically thought he had a free living situation with a butler and a maid. Yes, that's probably the fault of his parents, but that doesn't mean that they should stand for it any longer.

I'm definitely opposed to the whole "You're 18 now, you're being kicked out of the house no matter what." style of parenting that some people have, but this is too much.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crappy jobs and student loans leave me with some savings, enough for security deposit sure, it's still about a lack of income. I was out for a while with a contract to hire job where they cut the budget and I was booted with no warning, second time that happened in the past three years.

Life is hard, you try to move forward, ignore those passing judgement. :)
I hear ya. Keep at it man.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Housing has always been bitch in my area so Im still living in home as a soon-to-be 26 years old.
But the idea of not contributing and paying rent is just way too shameful imo.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am 30 and live at home with my family and the thought of just sitting around and doing nothing to help with rent/the house just irks me. Then again I practically did the things from 21-27 while I was dealing with some mental health issues. I'd move out but like at least one other poster here they wouldn't be able to afford to live here if I wasn't here to help with the bills.

This is only an issue because this dude let the relationship with his parents get to this point. At the very least my parents would have my ass cleaning the pool, doing the lawn, and dusting like my ass was still working for allowance every week.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Well for me I have a job and have 20k saved in my bank account because I live with my mom. I think people staying home is better financially for most young adults if they are not making over 40k a year.

On the flip side they are trying to kick him out now but what's going to happen when they get really old and sick ? Is he going to think about how they treated him and not want to help them.

They can use all the money they're saving not supporting this broke loser to pay for a caretaker.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's sad to think that it could get to this point, but I guess he's just unwilling to move despite help.

I was younger when I moved out, but only several years. I got lucky and was able to get a place with people I knew well, but am hoping to get out on my own and go back to school.

Hopefully they can reach a good solution and avoid going through the whole court ordeal. What the parents are offering is generous and something I'd gladly take if I was in his situation.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
My extensive expertise in reading /r/legaladvice posts suggests that the posters saying he isn't a tenant are full of it. He's certainly a tenant in New York, and I suspect he'd be considered a tenant in every other state too.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So i'm a bit confused. He can't hold down a job, yet owns weapons that would cost probably a good chunk of change.

I mean, there's red flags, and then there's this.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guess locking him out of the house while he's gone for a few hours doesn't work anymore? I assume he leaves the house sometimes right? Lock him out, out as much of his stuff as possible in the front yard, and call a 1 hour locksmith to change the locks.
This sounds like a way to get yourself hurt or even worse killed.