Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of things to criticize Nina Turner for, but calling this cultish is unproductive and racist.
Oh my. The rush by you and some other Sanders supporters to accuse people critical of Sanders & his camp of anything from sexism to racism to antisemitism is truly bonkers.

Cults are extremist religions. Religiosity directed towards a candidate is not normal in the slightest and it's absolutely the right word to describe it.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, anyone I put into the system I talked to first before doing so. I can't imagine many people not doing this.
You'd be surprised. People post pictures of other people and friends/family on the internet all the time without asking if it's ok. People willingly upload their contacts to Google/Facebook without even a second's thought.

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found the picture posted earlier with a bunch of Bernie supporters holding signs with Bernie's face even weirder/creepier.

Usually supporters hold slogan signs like "I'm with her" or MAGA or XYZforPres and not just pictures of their face

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Cults are extremist religions

We're not about to sit here and equate "with these hands" to Jihadists groups. It is creepy and does remind me of religious groups, but it is not a religion.

Religiosity directed towards a candidate is not normal in the slightest and it's absolutely the right word to describe it.

The religiosity is not directed towards Bernie Sanders, it's directed towards the movement (you know, 'Not me. Us'). It's still off-putting, but there's a bunch of religious shit in American politics that's off-putting to me.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

The lunch between Sharpton and Pete was arranged with Sharpton's condition that mics would be off, but one outlet apparently didn't get the memo and livestreamed it with their mics on lol. They start out talking about the police tapes and gentrification criticisms in South Bend and Pete's black agenda before moving into other topics like homophobia in faith communities and his outreach and campaign strategy.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
And I find it funny that everyone is so appalled by Nina's religious antics but didn't have a word to say about Pete's "religious left" rhetoric.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Well, I guess that's it. No more chanting or singing allowed at political or sport events. It could be interpreted as cultish behavior. Not you know, people being excited about something.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter's kind of irritating right now. Subset of Bernie people pretending Beto's plan isn't good enough because it doesn't hit the mark TGND doesn't make. They think TGND said net zero by 2030, which was never said.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Also, no disgust for the billions of other methods politicians use to rhetorically manipulate people? No? Just the charismatic speeches and crowd participation. Got it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and yet zero feigned concern for this when Nina did this at every other rally including his announcement.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It is not. It is describing how his own personal morals have been influenced by religion. Just like President Obama's was. That is far different from promoting religion in politics.

Wanting to see "the emergence of the religious left" is not just talking about what shaped his moral compass.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting to see "the emergence of the religious left" is not just talking about what shaped his moral compass.

I think you're, possibly intentionally, misrepresenting him here. The whole argument is that Democratic values are ones that religious people should hold, not that religious values are ones that Democrats should hold.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter's kind of irritating right now. Subset of Bernie people pretending Beto's plan isn't good enough because it doesn't hit the mark TGND doesn't make. They think TGND said net zero by 2030, which was never said.

These people were never going to be satisfied. I'm seeing alot of groups trying to stop climate change coming out and saying it's a great plan though, so I'll take them more seriously

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's talking about a political movement to hard-counter evangelicals to help take away the "PARTY OF FAMILY VALUES" nonsense much in the same way Dems have worked to present themselves as not "soft" on other areas.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're talking about this comment:
Speaking to an Iowa audience about the threat of climate change last week, Democratic presidential contender Beto O'Rourke said, "we have no more than 12 years to take incredibly bold action on this crisis."

Associated Press fact checkers described his remarks as "faux facts" in an analysis published over the weekend, saying he "misrepresented the science on global warming" from last year's report by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). But O'Rourke is right, and the AP is wrong.
https://thinkprogress.org/beto-climate-change-warning-12-years-824c281bed31/

His new plan indeed pushes it back to 2050 so it counts as a renege I guess.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-29/beto-orourke-climate-change-plan

(I think the GND doesn't go far enough but "political realities" and whatnot.)

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I think you're, possibly intentionally, misrepresenting him here. The whole argument is that Democratic values are ones that religious people should hold, not that religious values are ones that Democrats should hold.

No, Pete quite literally said that he wants to replicate a lot of what the right claims to have a monopoly on, like religion and philosophical value statements. He's making a partisan issue out of it. If he wanted to divorce it from politics completely, he'd come against them politicizing it, but he has said many times that he wants to replicate what the right does on the left.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's attempting to make inroads with a constituency that conservatives have locked down for generations. There are a lot of very religious people in the country, and they vote. He's stressed repeatedly that it's important to him to be a president for people of any faith as well as no faith, he's just making a moral argument that if you truly believe in what's taught in the Bible, your views should align more closely with progressive values than conservative ones. I don't think this is bringing religion into politics so much as it's recognizing that there's a large religious voting bloc that already has significant political power and trying to bring them into our coalition rather than the one that's antithetical to what they supposedly believe in.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
He's talking about a political movement to hard-counter evangelicals to help take away the "PARTY OF FAMILY VALUES" nonsense much in the same way Dems have worked to present themselves as not "soft" on other areas.

The appropriate reaction isn't a political counter movement, but rhetoric that pushes the idea that religion transcends party lines. In other words he should say "it's not a matter of left and right" not say "the left is religious too!"

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's attempting to make inroads with a constituency that conservatives have locked down for generations. There are a lot of very religious people in the country, and they vote. He's stressed repeatedly that it's important to him to be a president for people of any faith as well as no faith, he's just making a moral argument that if you truly believe in what's taught in the Bible, your views should align more closely with progressive values than conservative ones. I don't think this is bringing religion into politics so much as it's recognizing that there's a large religious voting bloc that already has significant political power and trying to bring them into our coalition rather than the one that's antithetical to what they supposedly believe in.

I understand the strategy but he's still making religion a partisan issue even if his point is not that superficial.

Yes, without the contradictory rhetoric.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
"I think it's unfortunate [the Democratic Party] has lost touch with a religious tradition that I think can help explain and relate our values," the Navy veteran said. "At least in my interpretation, it helps to root [in religion] a lot of what it is we do believe in when it comes to protecting the sick and the stranger and the poor, as well as skepticism of the wealthy and the powerful and the established."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...YJZUKDog&noredirect=on&utm_term=.07167a751468

Fuck this 'religious tradition' shit being tied to the Democratic Party. All of it. Keep that shit with your personal morals.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
They're talking about this comment:

https://thinkprogress.org/beto-climate-change-warning-12-years-824c281bed31/

His new plan indeed pushes it back to 2050 so it counts as a renege I guess.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-29/beto-orourke-climate-change-plan

(I think the GND doesn't go far enough but "political realities" and whatnot.)
There is nothing contradictory about that statement. Nor is there anything contradictory about his statement, his plan, and TGND, except 100% energy reliance on renewable.

They're taking issue with a time he said net zero emissions by 2030 at some Iowan thing. Which may be possible in the US, but not even TGND aims for net zero emissions in the US by 2030. What's more, they're conflating that statement with TGND. There's no real thesis for their issue.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
nina turner is good. the people who don't like nina turner? i dunno folks

Do you like Tulsi Gabbard, as well?

I understand the strategy but he's still making religion a partisan issue even if his point is not that superficial.

It is a partisan issue, America has a large religious community on the left and the right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...YJZUKDog&noredirect=on&utm_term=.07167a751468

Fuck this 'religious tradition' shit being tied to the Democratic Party. All of it. Keep that shit with your personal morals.

He's appealing to religious voters, who are a large segment of the population. Any candidate who wants the nomination must make a coalition with the largest numbers possible. Those who don't will fail.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing contradictory about that statement. Nor is there anything contradictory about his statement, his plan, and TGND, except 100% energy reliance on renewable.
and walks back his commitments from earlier this month in Iowa to move to net-zero emissions by 2030.

Is the argument that a goal for net-zero emissions by 2050 is not mutually exclusive from a goal of net-zero emissions by 2030?

They're criticizing him for walking back his own words in Iowa. Reminds me a lot of the Harris private insurance walkback except Beto seems better about climate change than Harris is about private health insurance.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The religiosity is not directed towards Bernie Sanders, it's directed towards the movement (you know, 'Not me. Us'). It's still off-putting, but there's a bunch of religious shit in American politics that's off-putting to me.

Nope, not buying it. Not that worshipping a movement is any better, mind you.

I actually found the picture posted earlier with a bunch of Bernie supporters holding signs with Bernie's face even weirder/creepier.

Usually supporters hold slogan signs like "I'm with her" or MAGA or XYZforPres and not just pictures of their face

This isn't a sign of people worshipping a movement, they're worshipping a man.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Is the argument that a goal for net-zero emissions by 2050 is not mutually exclusive from a goal of net-zero emissions by 2030?

They're criticizing him for walking back his own words in Iowa. Reminds me a lot of the Harris private insurance walkback except Beto seems better about climate change than Harris is about private health insurance.

The article you gave me was about "drastic change" by 2030. Unless there's more to the quote, then no, that's not a contradiction. Because that's exactly what his plan is enacting.

To answer your question though, it's not, depending on the stage where the net zero emissions are "coming from." There's wiggle room. Net zero in the US, or aiming for net zero in the US is possible albeit extremely unlikely. But the 2050 net zero seems to be a WW statement.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

giphy.gif

Remind me why this person isn't in prison yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.