Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Pigeon is saying:

"If you're willing to forgive him on this instead of dropping support when he flakes, he's not going to have any impetus to shift his position. You need to be willing to cancel Bernie to get him to actually move."

Which is a call for accountability from his supporters, not "Bernie-stanning".

Yes, I see that now. I read it too quickly. I screwed up.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Pigeon is saying:

"If you're willing to forgive him on this instead of dropping support when he flakes, he's not going to have any impetus to shift his position. You need to be willing to cancel Bernie to get him to actually move."

Which is a call for accountability from his supporters, not "Bernie-stanning".

Thank you for explaining this. Clearly what I thought would be clear was incredibly unclear, so that's my fault. Sorry folks!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty typical Bernie overall. I thought he actually made significant improvement in his ability to tie racial issues into his general message (talking about redlining, mortality rates, etc.) but he's still clearly uncomfortable when he gets a question where he feels like he's being challenged.

So for example, with the sexual harassment question, he would have been fine if he just went with his second answer (the one he said to Wolf) but he felt the need to say "out of context". And with the question about what he can do to appeal to black voters, he was clearly irked at the idea that he didn't support Clinton enough. That's fine but there's no need to go into it - just talk about what you WILL do.

The reparations question is going to trip up a lot of candidates. His policy is in line with most of the rest of them, but he needs to figure out how to word it better.

Hopefully his more diverse team will go over these things with him tonight.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zero candidates support actual respirations and it's a voting issue for almost no one. It's simply yet another issue white liberals can use to play gotcha with Bernie on race while not actually supporting the policy themselves.

I support respiration if only because otherwise I'd be out of breath.

Edit: someone took my joke :(.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So for example, with the sexual harassment question, he would have been fine if he just went with his second answer (the one he said to Wolf) but he felt the need to say "out of context". And with the question about what he can do to appeal to black voters, he was clearly irked at the idea that he didn't support Clinton enough. That's fine but there's no need to go into it - just talk about what you WILL do.
All he had to say is that he shouldn't have been dismissive about the sexual harassment that took place and that he misspoke. I watched the CNN interview again and the answer he gave before he said that was actually pretty good and he owned up to it being completely mishandled in his campaign and apologized. Then he proceeded to give a shitty excuse that he was "busy". Instead he said it was taken out of context, which it absolutely was not. It's a shitty answer, and it's disappointing that he essentially defended it, especially when he had already given a much better answer.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty typical Bernie overall. I thought he actually made significant improvement in his ability to tie racial issues into his general message (talking about redlining, mortality rates, etc.) but he's still clearly uncomfortable when he gets a question where he feels like he's being challenged.

The reparations question is going to trip up a lot of candidates. His policy is in line with most of the rest of them, but he needs to figure out how to word it better.

Hopefully his more diverse team will go over these things with him tonight.
The crowd literally laughed with Bernie when he joked around that he was saying the same thing as Warren despite Wolf trying to prod him. It's a complete non issue and the media will likely move on to the next thing in a couple of weeks.
Does it matter if no one is any better than Bernie on issue? It's fine if everyone is shitty on this issue and our perception of them can be negatively effected by their poor answer.
When people are claiming Warren, Harris, and Castro support bona fide reparations (which of course they don't) yeah it matters

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
DC statehood really needs to be a thing. They pay taxes but no representation. Puerto Rico as well.

His foreign policy talk sounds way better then 2016

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it matter if no one is any better than Bernie on issue? It's fine if everyone is shitty on this issue and our perception of them can be negatively effected by their poor answer.

This is very true. "Everyone is shitty so it's okay that person A is shitty." I feel like we should deserve more. I feel like I should be able to talk about reparations in a genuine, intelligent way without feeling attacked as a white person because frankly, I'm not being attacked, it's about a country actually coming to terms with a horrible thing. Instead we change language in history books and try our damnedest to never talk about slavery while still having institutions that propagate systemic racism.

DC statehood really needs to be a thing. They pay taxes but no representation. Puerto Rico as well.

His foreign policy talk sounds way better then 2016

Bernie's been a Senator for a long time, and it's pretty clear Puerto Rico is a combination of Congressional and Presidential thing based on how they voted. Not sure what's stopped him or any of the other Congressional candidates from putting forth stuff for Micronesia or Guam or the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico if they wanted. Two Democratic Senators sponsored a bill in the Senate and there was another one in the House. They were referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources. Why? I have no fucking clue.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As for me, I don't really care. I only want him to shift to peel supporters from other candidates.

I'd need to see Russia in those tax returns to flip from Bernie to Warren (who's my second).

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I see the "other candidates wouldn't have done it either" fallacy has sprung up.

So far, when it comes to social issues, "wishy washy" "pragmatic" Sanders is a centrist!!!!!

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have zero plans in reading their book.

go6sp8rw9wi11.png

I don't really wanna read a review made by someone who's weirdly dismissive of AOC.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why?

Genuinely, is anybody here who supports him going to stop supporting him or defending him on social justice because of his inability to handle these questions?

Because if not, why would you expect him to feel motivation to do better?

Presumably because he learned lessons from 2016. But I sincerely get the impression that he buys his own hype that the only reason he lost last time was because of an establishment conspiracy and all he really needs is to energize his diehards so I think you have a point. It almost feels like he thinks people bringing up race is part of the establishment conspiracy.

Thank you for explaining this. Clearly what I thought would be clear was incredibly unclear, so that's my fault. Sorry folks!

I gotcha. But that's because I've read enough of your other posts to know what you're getting at, it was unclear to people who would read it without that context.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
The crowd literally laughed with Bernie when he joked around that he was saying the same thing as Warren despite Wolf trying to prod him. It's a complete non issue and the media will likely move on to the next thing in a couple of weeks.

When people are claiming Warren, Harris, and Castro support bona fide reparations (which of course they don't) yeah it matters
I thought the exact same thing he did - "what do they mean?". And when the guy read out Warren's answer, it was literally just what Bernie said about how US society is structured.

But I agree with what you said, it'll become a non-issue until someone can actually define it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero plans in reading their book.

go6sp8rw9wi11.png

I don't really wanna read a review made by someone who's weirdly dismissive of AOC.
Yeah, I wasn't endorsing the reviewer, it was just the first thing that popped on google about the issues with Korea. (there was more on twitter at the time but twitter is of course ephemeral)

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The party literally endorses him every time he runs

They also "like" their candidates to run as a Democrat.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...quiring-candidates-to-run-serve-as-a-democrat

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) adopted a new rule on Friday aimed at keeping outsider candidates like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from trying to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020.

The new rule, adopted by the DNC's Rules and Bylaws Committee, requires all Democratic presidential candidates to be a member of the Democratic Party, Yahoo News reported.

A presidential candidate running for the Democratic nomination must be a member of the party, accept the Democratic nomination and "run and serve" as a member.

Sanders, who has maintained his status as an independent, fought a tough primary race for the Democratic nomination against eventual presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016.

I wonder what candidates made them think they have to do this?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So he should say he supports reparations. Get the frontline of this with the black vote and it forces everyone else to move left.

Where's the bad?

It freaks out the white independent vote who might be crucial in swing states (hell, it probably freaks out most white Democrats in general). That's the fact of the matter no matter how much we hate it.

But the time is finally coming, thankfully, where it must be dealt with.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're getting upset that other people are mad that the rural areas that vote reliably red (and are getting deeper red as time goes on) all the time that are actively holding back progress and actively causing harm to society because they're over-represented in government due to bad, antiquated structures in the EC and Senate.
read that back, it's not even a proper sentence that says anything, but if you're saying that i'm getting upset that other people are mad at the electoral college or that some states or areas tend to vote a certain way you haven't read what i wrote or what i was responding to. they said screw rural people. defending that is despicable and i really think you should be ashamed of yourself and what you're saying
And then they vote in a guy like Trump. Trump promises a trade war, gives them a trade war. And suddenly, their farms are in the red because these insane protectionist trade policies backfire and actually cause their businesses to crater. They're begging for handouts from the government to keep their businesses solvent, ironic from the people voting against Dems because they think minorities are getting handouts instead. And they ask us to feel bad for them as many trudge back to the voting booth in two years and check the box for Trump.
this is just another tedious rant about how much you hate rural people. we get it, you hate rural people
Many rural towns are dying. Most cites are growing. And I can't help but see that as a great thing for America.
why would i care what you think when you've just spent paragraphs spouting a bunch of ridiculous, bigoted nonsense?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
So he should say he supports reparations. Get the frontline of this with the black vote and it forces everyone else to move left.

Where's the bad?
I look forward to you pressing all candidates equally on this

Don't worry, I won't hold my breath. Notice how no other candidate has been really criticized on here despite saying virtually the same thing Bernie did?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It freaks out the white independent vote who might be crucial in swing states (hell, it probably freaks out most white Democrats in general). That's the fact of the matter no matter how much we hate it.

But the time is finally coming, thankfully, where it must be dealt with.
Then he can just say "something something Ronald Reagan 1986 did a thing maybe we could do something similar I dunno we'll look into it"

Even that sort of a dodge would be better than whatever his response was.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Warren was quoted as saying dismantling institutional racism which he also said. That was his point. At least that's what Wolf said.

Warren comes closest by actually putting out policies that target communities that were redlined in the past. I assume it'd target them regionally rather than ancestrally/racially, but it's the closest I've seen to real reparations policy from a major candidate.

As far as I know, Kamala has just cited stuff like her LIFT act, which would help black people more than other groups even though it's technically race neutral (same thing happened with ACA) -- Booker's baby bonds proposal is similar (would make a huge dent in the racial wealth gap even though it's technically race neutral).

All good stuff but Warren comes closest so far.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yes, because the real bigots are the ones who complain about the bigots.
no, what you are doing is throwing rural queer and poc communities under the bus and it is shameful beyond belief. attacking all rural people, painting them all with the same brush as if they are a monolith of evil reprehensible people is the fucking definition of bigotry and you should be ashamed of yourself

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, what you are doing is throwing rural queer and poc communities under the bus and it is shameful beyond belief. attacking all rural people, painting them all with the same brush as if they are a monolith of evil reprehensible people is the fucking definition of bigotry and you should be ashamed of yourself
Those rural minority communities are actively being oppressed by the white rural majorities they live alongside at both the local level and national level. Which is why many move away and don't come back. Because at least the local government not might be actively out for them in the new city.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017

Warren comes closest by actually putting out policies that target communities that were redlined in the past. I assume it'd target them regionally rather than ancestrally/racially, but it's the closest I've seen to real reparations policy from a major candidate.

As far as I know, Kamala has just cited stuff like her LIFT act, which would help black people more than other groups even though it's technically race neutral (same thing happened with ACA) -- Booker's baby bonds proposal is similar (would make a huge dent in the racial wealth gap even though it's technically race neutral).

All good stuff but Warren comes closest so far.

This is pretty much what Bernie said. But he added some other bits like tackling how Black mothers suffer child mortality rates at a higher rate than white mothers, and added things about the difference in cancer rates.

Only the ending of which included Wolf's interjection was it simplified in that manner because they were trying to make it seem like others were doing something he wasn't.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those rural minority communities are actively being oppressed by the white rural majorities they live alongside at both the local level and national level. Which is why many move away and don't come back. Because at least the local government not might be actively out for them in the new city.
don't even dare lecture me on the type of oppression my community faces while simultaneously defending the sentiment "screw rural people." you are throwing us under the bus. period

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Of course they would do this. The DNC is terrified of Bernie and othe progressives who support him. They want to keep that big corporate money door open. They want an establishment candidate so they can lose again.

All this is about is staying as a legit Democrat, it's got nothing to do with corruption. I don't see other candidates on the left (Williams, Tulsi, Warren etc) not being full throated Democrats, do you? Why would they want a POTUS candidate they helped win the presidency switch to an (I) once in office?

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Not all people who live in rural communities are bigots or conservatives. Quit being so close minded.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much what Bernie said. But he added some other bits like tackling how Black mothers suffer child mortality rates at a higher rate than white mothers, and added things about the difference in cancer rates.

Only the ending of which included Wolf's interjection was it simplified in that manner because they were trying to make it seem like others were doing something he wasn't.
But all of Bernie's proposals, so far, are race neutral (like Kamala's and Booker's). They'd have the effect of improving child mortality disparities and help close the gap, which is great, but I wouldn't call them reparations because they are designed neutrally.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
All this is about is staying as a legit Democrat. I don't see other candidates on the left (Williams, Tulsi, Warren etc) not being full throated Democrats, do you? Why would they want a POTUS candidate they helped win the presidency switch to an (I) once in office?
But what does that mean exactly? Going more to the left or what? Don't think that's a problem with Bernie for example. At least not with us voters.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All this is about is staying as a legit Democrat. I don't see other candidates on the left (Williams, Tulsi, Warren etc) not being full throated Democrats, do you? Why would they want a POTUS candidate they helped win the presidency switch to an (I) once in office?

I do not think or believe he would switch back to (I), if he won the 2020 election and was sworn into office.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not all people who live in rural communities are bigots or conservatives. Quit being so close minded.
And not all city people are openminded liberals. But there's more in rural areas because people growing up in isolated areas with very little personal exposure to people not like themselves never get over that fear of people who aren't like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.