• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Wow. It's the same shit that the Houston Astros were being accused of earlier:

Link.

If this shit is true, then both the Astros & the Red Sox World Series Championships should be stripped & be given to the Dodgers.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Some catchers are actually really good at calling games though. I don't know if I want Shildt or some assistant calling all of the pitches instead of Molina. So I don't know that just giving them earpieces and having calls come from the dugout is always going to be the best solution.

And there are probably some managers who don't want each pitch of every game to be micromanaged by the staff in that way no matter who is pitching or catching. I don't think you can really compare calling plays in the NFL to calling a pitch in baseball.
No one would stop a Yadi Molina from calling games. It'd be like QBs. Lower tier guys need coach in their ear while for the better ones that coach can instead relay relevant data and information, letting the caller be even more effective.

As the league is almost certainly moving to a camera system for balls and strikes the value of pitch selection will go up while the reception skills (stillness, framing) will go down. When that happens a system more like NFL QBs would not only improve the product on the field but also give MLB a great narrative tool to sell the game.

Better yet, put up an actual goddamn pitch clock of about 10-15 seconds and any time a team violates it it counts as a ball to the batter. The pitcher and catcher have no excuses for less than perfect communication causing delay. Then a poised game caller goes up even more in value, as relaying pitch calls from dugout to catcher to pitcher would be far less efficient than just catcher to pitcher.

Speeds the game up, focuses on the player dynamics, probably puts enough pressure on pitchers to give something back to hitters so MLB can get rid of this juiced ball without offense completely tanking.

Oct 27, 2017
No one would stop a Yadi Molina from calling games. It'd be like QBs. Lower tier guys need coach in their ear while for the better ones that coach can instead relay relevant data and information, letting the caller be even more effective.

Then I don't see how earpieces fix the issue of electronic sign stealing. Unless the coaches are calling all of the pitches, the catcher is going to have to communicate with the pitcher somehow. If anything, it's going to put teams who want to have their catchers call games at a disadvantage, probably to the point where they decide it's not worth it, which I find unfortunate.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Wow. It's the same shit that the Houston Astros were being accused of earlier:

Link.

If this shit is true, then both the Astros & the Red Sox World Series Championships should be stripped & be given to the Dodgers.
The redsoxs manager in 2018 Alex Cora was with the Astros in 2017 he was one of the main reasons behind the cheating.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Lifetime ban for Cora and the Astros and Sox titles should be taken away.

Also if the mariners do this then they're fucking bad at it

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Have the Yankees or Cardinals ever been accused of cheating at an organizational level, in recent history?

Cardinals employed a individual that was caught and punished for improperly accessing the Houston Astros scouting databases on undrafted prospects in 2015.

Cardinals had to pay the Astros 2 million, they lost draft picks and the individual who was responsible for the hacking was banned from baseball for life and got a 46 month federal prison sentence.

Cardinals as an organization was found not to be complicit in his actions.

Last edited:

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are there actual rules against sign stealing, or is everyone just salty?
cheating implies there are rules
not that I give a shit why am I posting

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's legitimately thought about getting back into MLB after a lengthy absence all of this shit is *extremely* offputting.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Can the Brewers cheat their way to a title already?

Seems like a few people getting fired and loss of a few draft picks would totally be worth it. And that's only if you get caught!

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Cardinals employed a individual that was caught and punished for improperly accessing the Houston Astros scouting databases on undrafted prospects in 2015.

Cardinals had to pay the Astros 2 million, they lost draft picks and the individual who was responsible for the hacking was banned from baseball for life and got a 46 month federal prison sentence.

Cardinals as an organization was found not to be complicit in his actions.

I totally forgot about that. Pretty heinous, but at least it doesn't appear to be organization-wide unlike the Astros, which I guess was not only involving several of the coaches/GM, but obviously had to include at least some of the players, too.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every team in the MLB steals signs. Redsox and Astros just got caught.

Stealing signs isn't against the rules

It's how they did it and at least int he Astro's case the sheer magnitude of the conspiracy. This wasn't an occasional thing or even 1 or 2 players. Like the OP said, there is cheating and then there is cheating

It is like counting cards though -- it's all fun and games unless you're actually good at it

Last edited:

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
fuck dodgers should of been back to back champs fuck bostona and houston..

how does bill billachek keep on getting away with it

Jul 18, 2018
Seems like cheating in the MLB is part of the tradition of the sport... i mean even fans are saying shit like stealing signs isn't cheating

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ban Boston from all sports.
tenor.gif

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like cheating in the MLB is part of the tradition of the sport... i mean even fans are saying shit like stealing signs isn't cheating

That's because it is. From doctoring balls, corking bats, taking PEDs etc. Baseball players constantly cheat.

Before I type what I'm about to, I'm going to get it out of the way that I am an Astros' fan. I don't really see this sign stealing thing being a big deal. MLB has cheated since its inception. Just because technology has progressed doesn't make this any more egregious than before. You're still stealing signs. And here's a spoiler....everyone else is too. The Astros and Red Sox just got caught. But I'm willing to bet that if every team were investigated, you would find them doing the same.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's because it is. From doctoring balls, corking bats, taking PEDs etc. Baseball players constantly cheat.

Before I type what I'm about to, I'm going to get it out of the way that I am an Astros' fan. I don't really see this sign stealing thing being a big deal. MLB has cheated since its inception. Just because technology has progressed doesn't make this any more egregious than before. You're still stealing signs. And here's a spoiler....everyone else is too. The Astros and Red Sox just got caught. But I'm willing to bet that if every team were investigated, you would find them doing the same.
Yeaaaah the "but everyone else is doing it" shit never really does pan out.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Boston Boston everybody knows all your players were on PED's in 2004. Manny taking crazy women drugs. Ortiz in the Mitchell report. I'm pretty sure every year they won the World Series this millennium they probably cheated.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Boston Boston everybody knows all your players were on PED's in 2004. Manny taking crazy women drugs. Ortiz in the Mitchell report. I'm pretty sure every year they won the World Series this millennium they probably cheated.
Not like players in the 90s were clean either 🤷‍♂️