Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Mr Robot Season 3 was a nice bounce back from the meh Season 2 that seemed to meander far too much, hopefully they can nail the ending.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see that Mr. Robot isn't that long. My friends and I have been saying to start it since S1, but it's been backlogged since... At least now I know it won't be too long.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I missed this piece of news, but about a month ago it was announced that the Coen Brothers' upcoming Netflix anthology series 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' has been retooled into a movie that will have a limited theatrical run on Nov 16 before premiering on Netflix at a later date.

Last year, "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" was announced as a Netflix original series that would feature six tales about the American frontier. The project is now a 132-minute feature film, though one maintaining a chaptered anthology structure. It's set for a world premiere in competition at the Venice Film Festival, which has really taken off in recent years as the annual awards season starting gun, before releasing later this year.

"We've always loved anthology movies, especially those films made in Italy in the Sixties which set side-by-side the work of different directors on a common theme," the Coens said in a statement. "Having written an anthology of Western stories we attempted to do the same, hoping to enlist the best directors working today. It was our great fortune that they both agreed to participate."

I'm disappointed that they opted to do a movie instead of a series, but I guess the Coens just weren't comfortable working in a new medium. Maybe it's for the best. After all, talent doesn't always travel across mediums see: Yellowstone and Are You Here.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
What a twist! Well, shit. I don't know what it could be then. Unless it's that Zach Braff show that ran on ABC that wasn't that good.
Shows that we heard that were rumored to change network:
The Royals (E!)
Shooter (USA)
Designated Survivor (ABC)
Shadowhunters (Freeform)
The Shannara Chronicles (MTV & Spike)
and probably much more...

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that they opted to do a movie instead of a series, but I guess the Coens just weren't comfortable working in a new medium. Maybe it's for the best. After all, talent doesn't always travel across mediums see: Yellowstone and Are You Here.
Saw that a while back myself :(

I agree that good film doesn't always equal good TV but I worry a lot will have to hit the cutting room floor now. Wasn't it originally like a six part mini? I just want more Coens and can't help but be disappointed by this news

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, out of nowhere. Really sad. Watching S9 will be bittersweet now, I'm sure Fiona won't get any kind of conclusive ending (unless this announcement is late to the world and the show runners knew).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am flipping channels, and so many are just syndication deserts.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Shameless might as well end without Fiona. Plus Fiona was the only one who seemed to really be progressing rather than just surviving.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Wow, out of nowhere. Really sad. Watching S9 will be bittersweet now, I'm sure Fiona won't get any kind of conclusive ending (unless this announcement is late to the world and the show runners knew).

I suspect they knew, because they recently increased the episode order for Season 9 and are doing the "split season" thing (7 episodes in September and then 7 more in Spring I think).

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Showtime confirming it:
Shameless executive producer and showrunner John Wells: "Emmy Rossum will forever be part of the Shameless family. She has been integral to the show's success, from her wonderful portrayal of Fiona to her leadership role on set, as well as directing multiple episodes of the series. We are hard at work now creating a season nine finale for Shameless which we hope will provide a Gallagher-worthy sendoff for Fiona that honors the great work Emmy has done. It is always bittersweet when an ensemble member decides to move out of the proverbial house, but our door will always remain open for Fiona to return home for a visit, or to move back in. I look forward to continuing the stories of this wildly unpredictable family and all of us on Shameless will miss Emmy and her wonderful Fiona."

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence that articles just came out about Esmail's buttload of projects (including one with her).

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shameless wont be the same without her. They all work so well together. This is bs man... Arrrgh...

I hope she ends up with Steve though.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Shameless has had a long, full run (8 seasons and counting). No reason to keep it going forever. And it sounds like they'll have a whole season to wrap things up so there's no excuse for any sort of abrupt, unplanned ending.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed about Colony ending, really have enjoyed the show. Actually have all of this season on the DVR still. I know the show will not be all wrapped nicely up how it should, but does it at least have some kind of closure? Or are there clear signs of it continuing on, or worse, a big cliffhanger? Thinking of just deleting it off the DVR as there are a lot of shows I want to get through yet before the fall season kicks off and nothing I hate more is watching a show with an unfinished ending, or worse, a big cliffhanger.

Please, no spoilers if (all of) you say there is some kind of closure and do end up watching it.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed about Colony ending, really have enjoyed the show. Actually have all of this season on the DVR still. I know the show will not be all wrapped nicely up how it should, but does it at least have some kind of closure? Or are there clear signs of it continuing on, or worse, a big cliffhanger? Thinking of just deleting it off the DVR as there are a lot of shows I want to get through yet before the fall season kicks off and nothing I hate more is watching a show with an unfinished ending, or worse, a big cliffhanger.

Please, no spoilers if (all of) you say there is some kind of closure and do end up watching it.
It's a great season overall and by far their best yet, but it does end on a huge cliffhanger.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Colony's cancellation is so stupid, they just did like three seasons for nothing and viewers will never see an ending to that story.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious what Shamless does without her i can't imagine the show without any of them let alone her which IMO plays the biggest role in the series.

Also, Jack Ryan.. What time does Amazon usually throw shows up? 12am EST? 3am EST?

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Fiona was the emotional core of the show, I can't imagine what Shameless will be like without her. Hopefully they send her out on a high note.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
As much as William H. Macy keeps getting Emmy noms for Shameless, Emmy Rossum is really the reason to be watching Shameless. Shame she never gets any recognition for that.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, if Emmy Rossum is done with Shameless, so am I probably. Really can't imagine watching the show without her on there - Fiona's still pretty much the focal point of the show & the character that's had the most progression. Glad to see they've had time to write a proper exit for her though & look forward to seeing the new season.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Former ER star Vanessa Marquez, 49, is shot dead by cops after pulling a BB gun on them during a welfare check

Damn. Been watching reruns of ER on tv too. RIP.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that good film doesn't always equal good TV but I worry a lot will have to hit the cutting room floor now. Wasn't it originally like a six part mini? I just want more Coens and can't help but be disappointed by this news

Scruggs was initially thought to be a TV project but the Coens have confirmed that they always planned it as a feature.

"initially thought"

I mean, it was announced as a series. Anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
British broadcasters are going back to drama basics as they line up a swathe of lower budget scripted series to counter the multi-billion spend of the global SVODs.

Broadcasters including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are preparing for a drama future where the likes of Netflix, which spends around $6.5M per episode of The Crown, for instance, and Amazon, which is expected to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on its adaptation of Lord of the Rings, are looking to take all global rights to projects.

Over the last few years, British networks have taken advantage of digital co-pro funds with shows such as C4 and Amazon's Electric Dreams and BBC and Netflix's Troycosting millions. But, these funds are soon expected to dry up, with the likes of Sister Pictures founder Jane Featherstone saying "the honeymoon is over", leading domestic broadcasters to find new ways to get drama stories on screen.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/britis...ttle-with-global-svods-rumbles-on-1202455178/

Also,

By relying on SVOD funding, the British broadcasters face another challenge around attribution. Cult hit The End of the F***ing World (right) was produced by Misfitsproducer Clerkenwell Films for Channel 4 and Netflix. The first episode of the show originally debuted on Channel 4 last year before being rolled out on its digital service All4 as a boxset. However, Katz admitted that as the show, which has been renewed for a second season, launched on Netflix three months later, many people thought it was a Netflix original. "Next time we'll run the whole series on the channel then there will be a conventional hold back of more than a year before people see it on Netflix. It really bugs me that people think that show is a Netflix show, I really want to reclaim ownership of it, it's absolutely a Channel 4 show," he said.

Also,

"It's curious at the moment, writers are all just wanting to write thrillers and are very influenced by what they've seen on Netflix or HBO," he said. "Our highest rating dramas are things like Vera, Midsomer Murders and Doc Martin. These shows are not talked about in the media but are the most viewed. I'm permanently saying 'where's the next Lewis or [Inspector] Morse?', those are the shows that have defined ITV over the decade. We're finding it surprisingly difficult to find writers who want to make those types of shows."

Status
Not open for further replies.