• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never owned a Saturn and doesn't want to spend a grand just to play a handful of Saturn games, I'd be all over this. Only game I'd add to the OP list that looks cool to me is Shining the Holy Ark.

The Panzer Dragoon series, Nights, and Burning Rangers are probably the games I'd want to play the most.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If we're looking at western release only, I'd want:

1)Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
- best SRPG of all time. Only scenario 1 is *officially* in English
2)Panzer Dragoon Saga
- one of the best RPG battle systems ever
3)Fighters Megamix
- the most joyfully crazy fighting game I've ever played
4)Story of Thor 2 (Legend of Oasis)
5)Mystaria Realms of Lore
- criminally underlooked SRPG
6)Shining the Holy Ark
- fun first person JRPG with a fantastic soundtrack
7)Nights into Dreams
8)Burning Rangers
9)Virtual ON
10)Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11)Dragon Force
12)Guardian Heroes
13)X-Men Children of the Atom
- still my fave capcom fighter ever
14)Saturn Bomberman
15)Dark Savior
16)Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
17)Shining Wisdom
18)Soviet Strike
- much better then the psx release
19)Astal
20)Albert Odyssey

If not just looking at western release, you could add some of the excellent JP only shootemups like Batsugun, Kingdom Grand Prix, Battle Garegga, Hyper Duel, Thunder Force V, Soukyugurentai...
Then there's Street Fighter Zero 3, Taromaru, Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 & 3, Grandia, the D&D collection etc, etc.

Last edited:

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I would love this if they translated some of the japan exclusives, but of your list, I already own all the games except Batsugun, so I dont really know if it would be worth it for me. Good list though!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You forgot SONIC R there homie, and I'd be way more excited for a Saturn mini than a Mini 64 since N64s were built like tanks and plenty of people still have theirs etc

I have a soft spot for Sonic R, but there have been greatly enhanced ports, like the one in Sonic Gems Collection. The original Saturn version had awful draw distances (even with the fading tricks) and could run really chunky sometimes. You lose a few things like the better-looking Radiant Emerald, but you gain so much in return.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Sonic Jam or Sonic R would be much better Sonic reps than 3D Blast.

This may be the nostalgia talking, but I think a sports game or two should be included. Any of the World Series Baseball games would work for me!

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A rerelease of Saturn games, in any form, is welcome. Woefully underappreciated library. It's the pinnacle of 2d almost and hardly anyone has given it the time of day outside of Japan. Crazy.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'd buy both the Western and the Japanese version, providing that the latter has some gems that were never localized. Preferably including Soukyugurentai.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Shining The Holy Ark needs adding to the list. It's a fantastic game that often gets overlooked. I actually prefer it over Shining Force III.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Considering only games released in western markets:

1 Daytona USA CCE
2 Virtua Fighter 2
3 Dragon Force
4 Fighting Megamix
5 Street Fighter Alpha 2
6 Die Hard Arcade
7 Panzer Dragoon Zwei
8 Panzer Dragoon Saga
9 Guardian Heroes
10 Burning Rangers
11 Virtual On
12 Astal
13 Saturn Bomberman
14 Sega Rally
15 Nights Into Dreams
16 Shining Force 3
17 Sonic R
18 Darius Gaiden
19 Shining The Holy Ark
20 Dark Savior

Virtua Cop 2 is cool but I don't see how it could work on HD TV set.
I suppose Resident Evil and Tomb Raider would/should get a spot too but I prefer less famous games to be included.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SOOOO many imports that would be worth playing.

It would basically be an arcade box - especially if SNK / Capcom / Taito / Konami allowed titles to be put on it.

X-Men vs Street Fighter
Street Fighter Zero 3
Cyberbots
King of Fighters 95
Samurai Spirits 3
Metal Slug
Elevator Action Returns
Parodius Da!
Thunderforce 5

Those are just off the top of my head...

Oct 26, 2017
Shining Force 3, ideally stick the whole trilogy and premium disc on there as one game.
Shining the Holy Ark.
Guardian Heroes.
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Xmen vs Street Fighter
Vampire Savior
Dragon Force
Saturn Bomberman
Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Magemix
Nights into Dreams + Christmas Nights
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Grandia, use the ps translation but in an ideal world it would get a new one.
Radiant Silvergun
Sonic Jam
Metal Slug
Die Hard Arcade
Virtual On.

Runners up.
Exhumed (powerslave)
Sonic R
Sonic 3D Blast
Silhouette Mirage
Take your pick from Capcom stuff, D&D collection, Children of The Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, Cyberbots, SF Alpha 1 and 2. Darkstalker 1 and 2, Puzzle Fighter
Elevator Action Returns
Duke Nukem 3D
Layer Section
Thunder Force V
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Virtua Fighter Kids
Dark Saviour
Sega Ages
Lunar 1 and 2
Burning Rangers
Deep Fear
Enemy Zero
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sakura Taisen series
Clockwork Knight 1 and 2

Basically, the Saturn is bursting with great games.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
In no particular order:

Racers
Sega rally
Daytona USA
Manx TT
Wipeout 2097 (hehe)
Sonic R

Fighters
Virtua fighter 2
Fighters megamix
Street fighter alpha 3
King of fighters 95 (Iirc this was the one)

Action
Virtua cop 2
Panzer dragoon zwei
House of the dead
Exhumed
Hexen

Rpg
Panzer dragoon saga
Dragon force
Shining force 3
Dark saviour

Others
Astal
NiGHTS
Burning Rangers

And I leave out hundreds, literally...the Saturn was criminally underrated

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And I leave out hundreds, literally...the Saturn was criminally underrated

Yeah overall in the long-term, it's true but it was too little too late in gaining steam

I so was a Sega fanboy at the time too coming off years of loving my Megadrive. Few things put me off in the summer it launched and made me opt for the PS1

- £399 in the UK Vs £299 for the incoming PlayStation
- Previews of Daytona looked bad compared to the arcade version and PlayStation's Ridge Racer
- Wipeout looked amazing
- Virtua Fighter on the Saturn didn't look as good as Tekken

They were the guiding forces. Id saved like crazy for like 8 months beforehand for a Saturn so to change minds last minute was a big decision lol

Never regret my PS choice but did eventually check out the Saturn back cat later on and it became a solid choice but mainstream wise, no match for the hearts and minds Sony had won consumer and crucially Dev wise by then

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Is a Saturn Classic even possible? Last I read, Saturn emulation is hard as fuck to code, and some of those games have source codes and master files that have disappeared forever.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Is a Saturn Classic even possible? Last I read, Saturn emulation is hard as fuck to code, and some of those games have source codes and master files that have disappeared forever.

Yes. There is a very good open source emulator available called mednafen. Only downside is it require beefier hardware then the cheapo SoC's Nintendo and probably Sony have been using for theirs, so it'd probably be a fair bit more expensive - which itself makes it less likely as the Saturn was less popular outside Japan.

Oct 26, 2017
- Previews of Daytona looked bad compared to the arcade version and PlayStation's Ridge Racer
- Wipeout looked amazing
- Virtua Fighter on the Saturn didn't look as good as Tekken
Yup as great as the Saturn library is, it took a long tome to hit it's stride. A lot of the biggest games the Saturn's known for came out at the end of it's life when it was far too late.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sega's representatives reading this thread:

"Hey, what's a Saturn?"

I'll take any list but Sonic 3D Blast and The Legend of Oasis must be on it.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Considering only games released in western markets:

1 Daytona USA CCE
2 Virtua Fighter 2
3 Dragon Force
4 Fighting Megamix
5 Street Fighter Alpha 2
6 Die Hard Arcade
7 Panzer Dragoon Zwei
8 Panzer Dragoon Saga
9 Guardian Heroes
10 Burning Rangers
11 Virtual On
12 Astal
13 Saturn Bomberman
14 Sega Rally
15 Nights Into Dreams
16 Shining Force 3
17 Sonic R
18 Darius Gaiden
19 Shining The Holy Ark
20 Dark Savior

Virtua Cop 2 is cool but I don't see how it could work on HD TV set.
I suppose Resident Evil and Tomb Raider would/should get a spot too but I prefer less famous games to be included.

This would basically be my list. Though I gotta get Virtua Cop 2 somehow. My most played Saturn games are Virtua Cop 2 and Die Hard Arcade.

Realistically though, I think it would be better served to have something like a Sega "CD classics" which featured Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast. (Even better still to be able to buy those games on current platforms digitally)

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Yes. There is a very good open source emulator available called mednafen. Only downside is it require beefier hardware then the cheapo SoC's Nintendo and probably Sony have been using for theirs, so it'd probably be a fair bit more expensive - which itself makes it less likely as the Saturn was less popular outside Japan.
So it sounds like it's possible, but Sega would have to develop it at a high cost. Which might not be worth it depending on sales expectations and budget for the system itself.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be perfectly happy if the only included games were Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Sega Rally and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It would never happen, but thinking about the Saturn stuff and licensing, I'd kill for a Sega Mini just stacked with their AM1, AM2 and AM3 stuff

That we've never got comprehensive collections on PS4 / XB1 / Steam of their arcade output is criminal. It's literally all over the place

Virtua Fighter 1-5
Virtua Cop 1-3
Daytona 1-2
Sega Rally 1-3
Virtua Racing
Scud Race
OutRun 2
House of the Dead

And all the rest....:(

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
Any of these (wonderful) lists would crush the collectors market. I'm all for it!

Also, I would imagine it would come with two Model 2 USB pads. Oh, to dream...

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
A Saturn Classic would be a great reason to bring Deep Fear to the US for the first time.

My list:
1. Daytona USA CCE
2. Virtua Fighter 2
3. Fighters Megamix
4. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
5. Saturn Bomberman
6. Burning Rangers
7. Shining The Holy Ark
8. X-Men Vs. Street Figher
9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (for Maria mode)
10. Dragon Force
11. Radiant Silvergun
12. Die Hard Arcade
13. King of Fighters '97
14. Sega Rally Championship
15. Thunder Force V
16. Panzer Dragoon Saga
17. House of the Dead (lightguns be damned)
18. Sonic Jam
19. Astal
20. Deep Fear

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
A shameful, Bug!less list

/s

That looks great, but I would argue PD1 is so incredible that it should be on there, 20 title limit be damned.

Also Radiant Silvergun, Dragon Force, and good lord, man, Policenauts.

EDIT: I associate Policenauts with Saturn, but I suppose it was for other systems, so that could be nixed.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Add these-
Christmas Nights
Baku Baku
The Legend of Oasis
Dragon Force
Sonic Jam

So we're just going to pretend Saturn Bomberman doesn't exist huh

A hypothetical JP release of it needs to have Dynamite Deka, since it probably wouldn't be in a US version, given the Die Hard branding.

All of these. Maybe Three Dirty Dwarves too. Game is weird.

Great choices. I need
Dragon Force,
Nights,
Guardian Heroes,
the Legend of Oasis,
Shining Force 3,
Shining in the Holy ark,
Sonic R,
Dynamite Deka,
Astral,
Baku Baku animal,
Sega Rally,
Fighters Megamix,
Albert Odyssey
Virtua Fighter (Remix, kids, 2)
Virtua Cop
House of the Dead
Both Lunar games
Dynamite Deka (please!)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (and the two shooters)
Burning Rangers
Ect

If you allow translations of not translated games...
grandia
Shining Force 3 chapter 2&3
Sakura Taisen 1&2
Princess Crown
Sillhouette Mirage
Radiant Silvergun

And if you'd like to include a hyper cool bonus, find a playable demo of Shenmue Saturn version :)

May 5, 2018
I love that the OP puts Mr. Bones in as one of the 20 essential games for the Saturn Classic. Never played it, but it always looked very unique to me. Maybe the Japanese version would be used since it was made to be easier with visual button and arrow prompts for the levels.