• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had my SEGA Saturn since November of 1996. It's the only console from that era that I still use at all: the SNES, PS1 and N64 are all packed away. I would love for the system's library to reach a wider audience, and given SEGA's interest in pursuing the 'Classic' console re-release craze, I'd like to share what I think would be the perfect 20 game rundown of the Saturn's highlights. Unfortunately lightgun games like Virtua Cop 2 and House of the Dead are out, which is a shame.

First the obvious stuff. First party titles.
  1. Virtua Fighter 2
    let's get this one out of the way. This game is perfect bye
  2. SEGA Rally Championship 1995
    IMO the best-looking and best-playing racing game on the Saturn, SRC1995 represents one of the strongest elements of the console's library: bringing the arcade home. It's short but easily replayable, and the music is amazing too.
  3. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    It's probably not worth including both of the shooter entries in this franchise if we're sticking to 20 titles, so let's stick with the best one.
  4. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    duh
  5. NiGHTs into dreams...
    It wasn't until well after the Saturn gen that I truly understood how this game was supposed to be played, because it makes no effort in teaching you. That's probably a fault, but it didn't keep me from liking the game in 1997 or so and it doesn't keep me from liking it now. I know it's not for everyone, but it's Sonic Team and it would be a glaring omission if it weren't included.
  6. Burning Rangers
    I actually think this game sucks, but the last bit of the above applies here too
  7. Shining Force III
    Even without Scenario 2 & Scenario 3 this game is terrific to this day with beautiful art and music. Not sure what the general consensus is on the translation, but I like the writing a lot.

...Left turn!
  8. Mr. Bones
    Mr. Bones is weird. It's a little clunky. But... I think it's kinda great. It's from the creator of Ecco the Dolphin (also weird, clunky, and great). Every level plays differently - you start out in this terrible auto-scroll stage, jumping over obstacles and avoiding your pursuers, and next stage you're playing an electric guitar to appease them. I want everyone to play Mr. Bones.
  9. Clockwork Knight
    This was a launch title in NA which is obviously heavily influenced by the success of Toy Story while using the digitized 3D look of the Donkey Kong Country games. It's somewhat unremarkable, so its inclusion may be controversial, but like the simplistic Altered Beast which became a staple of Genesis compilations, its importance is gleaned in part from it being one of the better games at the console's launch. No one talks about this game, but it's something I can't help but associate with the console, and I'd prefer it make the cut. Personally.
  10. Sonic 3D Blast
    eh, need one right?
  11. Fighters Megamix
    I'm going to include this title while excluding games like Last Bronx and Fighting Vipers which are also great. Fighters Megamix has become something of a caricature of itself due to the inclusion of a motherfucking race car in its roster, but despite its lunacy it's very fun to play to this day.

3rd party stuff...

(Capcom)
  12. Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Yes, Saturn is home to an arcade-perfect port of Street Fighter Zero 3. Yes, the port of Alpha 2, while great, has load times. Regardless, I think Alpha 2 is a better game than Zero 3 and if we're gonna restrict ourselves to one Street Fighter, I'd prefer Alpha 2.
  13. Mega Man X4
    This is the best Mega Man game ever made. Playing it on a Saturn pad is a joy.

(TAITO)
  14. Galactic Attack
    aka 'Layer Section', aka 'Rayforce' aka 'Gunlock' this is my favorite vertical shmup on the Saturn and it even got a Western release! Beautiful spritework, especially once you descend on the planet in stage 3, and great music too.
  15. Darius Gaiden
    G-Darius is great but Darius Gaiden is my favorite entry in the franchise. As above, this game also got a western release thru Acclaim for some reason!

(other)
  16. Dark Savior
    A puzzle action/adventure game that was a sequel to Landstalker on the Genesis. Full disclosure, I haven't played this game.
  17. Batsugun
    We need 1 bullet hell, right? In that case I'll pick the first one (don't @ me Recca fans). I personally find this more fun to play than DoDonPachi. This will save a lot of would-be collectors a lot of lunch money.
  18. Guardian Heroes
    Especially since we've already got 3 shmups on here, I'd choose Guardian Heroes over Radiant Silvergun for the Treasure slot. It's great fun multiplayer and considering how good the Genesis was for beat 'em ups, we need at least one representation on the Saturn, yeah?
  19. Decathlete
    I don't care if you don't like sports games, you should play this! I played its sequel Winter Heat for the first time last year at a friend's place, it's great fun. Decathlete is basically the same, but unlike Winter Heat it got a worldwide release so more people will be familiar with it. Like it or not, back in the day many of the people who favored SEGA to Nintendo did so because of the sports games, this wasn't as much of the case during the PS1 days but it's still a part of the console ultimately and I don't think something like NHL 96 is on the table due to licensing.
  20. Magic Knight Rayearth
    To close out our list it feels appropriate to include the last game released in North America for the console, Magic Knight Rayearth. I know a lot of people dislike Working Designs' translations but as with sports games their games were an important part of the Saturn's library in the West, padding out JRPG support in the face of behemoths like Final Fantasy VII. Like Dark Savior, I haven't actually played this game.
What do you think? Please don't ban me for not including Dragon Force.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
If the new dev for the Genesis mini does that right and wants to continue on to Saturn, I'm in.

Even though the port isn't great I'd sill like to see Daytona USA, but not over Sega Rally 2.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
It would need Virtual Cop 2, and a light gun, for me to want to buy one. I know they are exempt, but that's the only game I'd really want.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Any chance I get to praise NiGHTS I'm here. As a child it was like an acid trip.

Also, Virtual-On is a must have.

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Top 12 looks good to me and I'd be interested in a few of the others, but I'd also dig seeing Astal, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, and the launch title Worldwide Soccer. And if Genesis compilations can get away with putting Virtua Fighter 2 in there, a Saturn Mini should have House of the Dead.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Yeah, i would put good money down on this, should it happen.

None of the X-Men/Marvel fighting games though? Or is that a licensing nightmare?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Force is pretty much my #1 fav Saturn game of all time.
Iron Storm would be nice, too.

I love Virtual On, but Saturn isn't the best version of that. Hard to demand it, even if it's nostalgic.

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately the Sega brand doesn't have enough clout at this point for people to really get excited about Classic consoles from them IMO. Even those various Genesis re-releases they've done didn't do huge numbers and that's easily their biggest console.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'd like Sonic Jam. It's neat for the Sonic 1/2/3 ports, but it's extra neat for all the neat extras. Also the first ever actual 3D Sonic game exists as a hub world for that game.

Also defo needs Daytona and Saturn Bomberman.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I think I would replace Mr. Bones and the two Capcom games with Legend of Oasis, Virtual On and Saturn Bomberman.
They are good choices for the reasons you listed but the capcom games are readily available elsewhere and Mr. Bones while is probably something people need to be more aware of is nothing anyone needs to actually play lol.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
As bad of a port it is, you have to have Daytona on any Saturn collection. There is a reason most any arcade still has a working 2+ player setup, the game still brings in players.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
You forgot SONIC R there homie, and I'd be way more excited for a Saturn mini than a Mini 64 since N64s were built like tanks and plenty of people still have theirs etc

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Elevator Action Returns needs a slot, but I'm trying to figure out what I'd drop for it. Maybe Mr. Bones or Clockwork Knight. Dang, the Saturn was cool, huh?

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least you mentioned Radiant Silvergun. No Death Tank / Zwei is the real crime though.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So we're just going to pretend Saturn Bomberman doesn't exist huh

A hypothetical JP release of it needs to have Dynamite Deka, since it probably wouldn't be in a US version, given the Die Hard branding.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
To this day I've never met anyone else who owned a Saturn......I loved that system as a kid. Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop (I played this with a normal controller lmao)

Also, one of the best parts of this would be official USB Saturn Controllers to use on PC lol. That D-Pad is GOAT.

OP
OP
oneida

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry Mr Bones is not up for debate. I will concede Street Fighter Alpha 2 even though I think a 2D fighter is needed to make way for Daytona USA which rules.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this thread even started, now I cannot stop thinking and hoping Sega makes this a real thing. It won't and now I'm depressed so thank you ;)
That being said in addition to yours:

Baku Baku
Astal
Clockwork Knight 2
D
Cyber Speedway
Myst
Blazing Dragons
Bug!
Bust a Move 2 Arcade
The Triple Pack (Daytona, VF2, Virtua Cop)
Fighting Vipers
Pandemonium
Rayman
Scud
SF Alpha 2
Theme Park
Virtual On
Xmen Children of the Atom

Making a top 20 would be tough, I'm sure some of these could be pulled because they are on other systems though.
If I had to do a top 20 for me:
1 Daytona
2 Virtua Fighter 2
3 Virtua Cop 2
4 Fighting Vipers
5 Mr Bones
6 Cyber Speedway
7 Panzer Dragoon Zwei
8 Astal
9 Guardian Heroes
10 Bug!
11 Clockwork Knight 2
12 Baku Baku
13 Saturn Bomberman
14 Sega Rally
15 Nights Into Dreams
16 Shining Force 3
17 Sonic R
18 Darius Gaiden
19 Sonic 3d Blast
20 Dark Savior or Rayearth for the final

That would be a banger of a mini console thats for sure

COME ON SEGA DO THIS!!!!!!

Last edited:

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
How big are Saturn games, anyway? I would pay more for 25 games instead of 20. (Unless we HAVE to stay at 20, for the thread's sake, lol)

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I never owned a Saturn. It completely passed me by to be honest, but I have a lot of fandom for the consoles it was sandwiched between (the Mega Drive and Dreamcast), so just purely out of a curiosity born from my love of Sega back in the day, I'd jump on a Saturn Classic in a heartbeat. Wouldn't really be sure of what to expect, but I'm sure there would be a lot of worthwhile stuff on it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
They're working on it now. It's hinted at it very well being M2.
It was originally announced as yet another AtGames joint. But only today they said they're delaying the product to 2019 to "improve quality". Here's hoping that means they scrapped everything and switched to an internal dev, lol.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There are so many great Saturn games. I'd really love to see Sega release something Saturn related to replay these titles. It would be a dream for me and the only console I regret selling, especially as most other consoles games have been brought back in one way or another.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It was originally announced as yet another AtGames joint. But only today they said they're delaying the product to 2019 to "improve quality". Here's hoping that means they scrapped everything and switched to an internal dev, lol.

I meant it's not made by ATGames anymore-- sorry. lol it is moved to a "Japanese developer" with the phrase "proven domestic" (domestic for Japanese) being used. So, thinking it's someone in Japan with a close working relationship and passion for Sega only hypes me.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I meant it's not made by ATGames anymore-- sorry. lol it is moved to a "Japanese developer" with the phrase "proven domestic" (domestic for Japanese) being used. So, thinking it's someone in Japan with a close working relationship and passion for Sega only hypes me.
Here's hoping. Genesis emulation has been around for so long now and someone finally doing it right in a commercial product would be a dream come true!

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a saturn classic, it's the only console i never had after i got into gaming with the mega drive and i'd love to play some of those games.