thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
RIP greatest deal since Best Buy GCU. So did I go the farthest out of everyone at 11/26/2032?

It was a good deal but it wasn't really that spectacular, its guaranteed 50% off however long you subbed. There will be 30-50% discounts on 1 year PS+ Premium cards on black friday, christmas, etc in coming years so you prepaid for a minor discount. You could even argue those who paid for like 10 years are a bit silly, since you could banked that $600 into bitcoin or stocks or whatever and made way more money. I bought 4 years of PSNow and i'm satisfied, who knows the service may be utter crap and you will regret not being able to downgrade in a year. afaik there is no way to "pause" a prepaid membership, you have to let it run out.

The real crazy deals were things like getting 3 years of gamepass ultimate for a few bucks with Rockstar energy drinks or candy 2 years ago, or the guys who got PS5s for like $50 from Walmart a year ago.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no conversion benefit for regular PS Plus though, it's just a name change. PS Now subscribers are the only ones getting anything extra because that service simply doesn't exist anymore going forward.

Would you feel better if Sony would just not grandfather in anyone having PlayStation Now and just give them their remaining money back because they shut down the service?

Then PS+ and Now subscribers would need to reinvest that money again to upgrade Essential to Premium, so it wouldn't change in any way compared to the current conversion program, while PS Now-only subscribers would have to shell out $60 more to be able to keep streaming games as before.

Who exactly would benefit from this besides Sony?

No. I'm not saying don't grandfather in the Now subs. I'm just saying honor the months of PS+ that some people have purchased in addition to also converting their PS Now subscription.

PS+ people get to keep their subscription with the new tiers. PS Now people without PS+ Get to move up to Premium. If you have both subscriptions you should get to keep your PS+ and get upgraded to Premium. Since you can't have two active tiers the only sensible thing is have add the PS+ Essential Tier time in at the end. I don' think crazy, like I said in a past comment in the scenario you're describing why wouldn't a customer not be able to get a refund for their unused PS+? They pre-paid for it and now it's not worth anything unless it runs for longer than their PS Now does.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
No. I'm not saying don't grandfather in the Now subs. I'm just saying honor the months of PS+ that some people have purchased in addition to also converting their PS Now subscription.

PS+ people get to keep their subscription with the new tiers. PS Now people without PS+ Get to move up to Premium. If you have both subscriptions you should get to keep your PS+ and get upgraded to Premium. Since you can't have two active tiers the only sensible thing is have add the PS+ Essential Tier time in at the end. I don' think crazy, like I said in a past comment in the scenario you're describing why wouldn't a customer not be able to get a refund for their unused PS+? They pre-paid for it and now it's not worth anything unless it runs for longer than their PS Now does.
They're still getting the same value of what they originally purchased though. A $60 PS+ plan and a $60 PSNow plan. It's just that PSNow-only people get more of a benefit that skews the comparison. But I guess good for them, there's not many of them so they can have that bone. Offering someone else more, doesn't take away that you still have what you paid for. I don't expect Sony to do anything for PS+ besides maybe offer a discount to upgrade to premium for the first year or something.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
It was a good deal but it wasn't really that spectacular, its guaranteed 50% off however long you subbed. There will be 30-50% discounts on 1 year PS+ Premium cards on black friday, christmas, etc in coming years so you prepaid for a minor discount. You could even argue those who paid for like 10 years are a bit silly, since you could banked that $600 into bitcoin or stocks or whatever and made way more money. I bought 4 years of PSNow and i'm satisfied, who knows the service may be utter crap and you will regret not being able to downgrade in a year. afaik there is no way to "pause" a prepaid membership, you have to let it run out.

The real crazy deals were things like getting 3 years of gamepass ultimate for a few bucks with Rockstar energy drinks or candy 2 years ago, or the guys who got PS5s for like $50 from Walmart a year ago.
I kind of get you but you're also not looking at the bigger picture. You are looking just at the $60 you save getting in. Now that you're in you are saving on Ps Plus games, ps now games, getting a pretty full library of retro games, sales that have higher discount for members. Just saying it's alot more than you think. And it will add up.

Is it the greatest deal since GCU? No, I admit I exaggerated. But the way I buy (and now I'll wait and save) this will probably save me thousands in the long run for the $300 ish dollars I put into this. $300 wont even get this service for someone for 3 years on the regular. I'm now getting the service for TEN years.

Oh I forgot the new features like game trials and any other new features and discounts they add as well.

Last edited:

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
For the US people who are getting the something went wrong message. I got that when I tried using my Discover card, but it went through using PayPal.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Played some puppeteer, resolution was horrible but there was no actual delay in the button that could be felt.

Also I forgot just how charming that game and how criminally underappreciated it is. The aesthetics are amazing and the levels are so cool keeping in the theme of a stage play

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are insane.

Better not complain in 2 years when the 3rd tier is like $50 or less and people mass stock and you and netguy complain you paid more up front LOL.

Anyways you guys need a "is it even legal?" tag asap.

I mean that's the risk you take. I'd rather have regret for trying than not.

Paying actual money made me pause to contemplate it though. A few years back a site was spitting out 2 month Xbox Game pass codes over and over again (if you cleared your cookies). That one was a no brainer.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
You guys are insane.

Better not complain in 2 years when the 3rd tier is like $50 or less and people mass stock and you and netguy complain you paid more up front LOL.

A $10 loss. Oh no the horror. You know the people who can do these deals and stack like this are probably in a position where a $10 loss doesn't really hurt them (if it ever happens).

Edit: That would be funny though to lose an even $60 on a sub that used to be $60. 😂

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will release a PS Premium+ that surpasses the Premium, and release it for a cheaper price point than the error seen here. Similar to PS+ Essential, there will be no means of "upgrading" your Premium subscription to a higher tier, so those with 10+ years of Premium will either have to stick with it or opt to spend more money for a subscription already purchased to upgrade to the new Premium+.

Source - A friend of a guy who works with a girl who gets her hair cut at a salon adjacent to the Sony building.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You guys are insane.

That's the gamble and I was more than happy to take it :)

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
phew glad i bought one more year (only til 2024) after wario tweeted asking how many we stacked up.

Came home to add one more year but i think i'll live.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Played some puppeteer, resolution was horrible but there was no actual delay in the button that could be felt.

Also I forgot just how charming that game and how criminally underappreciated it is. The aesthetics are amazing and the levels are so cool keeping in the theme of a stage play
I tried MGS4 and noticed the resolution was low but the input lag seemed completely fine and I'm normally sensitive to that stuff.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I tried MGS4 and noticed the resolution was low but the input lag seemed completely fine and I'm normally sensitive to that stuff.

Same. Game still looked good. This is my first time trying game streaming (coming from the internet rather than from another device on the same local network) and I was super impressed. I tried MGS4 and Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown. I was able to immerse myself in the games and forgot I was streaming them. Not yet a believer in a game streaming future, but my opinion on streaming has definitely changed.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Based on your avatar, you should check out the Monkey Island games on PSNOW. They are great.

Do you think Sony should give us a badge next to our psn name like they did with plus? I think that would be cool. Now that they have three tiers that almost covers their trophy color range (bronze, silver,gold,plat)- it's kinda perfect. I'm sure they could start with silver even because I bet all those basic people don't want a bronze by their name forever. Though I'm sure it would piss off alot of trophy hunters (in which I'm in that group) that the people who did this deal gets a insta plat by their name while they get bronze or silver lol. Especially since Sony took time to update the plat image for the PS5 launch this would be just a cool way to show off and incorporate the new designs. Just a thought.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Same. Game still looked good. This is my first time trying game streaming (coming from the internet rather than from another device on the same local network) and I was super impressed. I tried MGS4 and Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown. I was able to immerse myself in the games and forgot I was streaming them. Not yet a believer in a game streaming future, but my opinion on streaming has definitely changed.
and yet you only got a year. :(

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
what are the chances sony revokes our subscriptions for being criminal bastard hackers taking advantage of an exploit? I'm good for 2 years.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
and yet you only got a year. :(

Pain. I was actually thinking last night of just going for two years right away, but I always talk myself out of purchases unless I'm really sure I want something. At least I got the one year. Maybe something will come up before the sub ends.

Definitely going to attempt to play the PS3 games I'm interested in during the next year just in case. Went 360 that gen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Those bullcrappers could be more courteous and allow an upgrade path for those holding a yearly PS+ sub like paying 60 buck upgrade just like how the PS NOW deal was offering so they don't need to waste money with double price again.
To show how much bullshit their intentition is and evil, they kept the PS+ yearly sub but deleted the PS NOW sub so no one can profit form it while some careless users could sub for a century of PS+ without having any advantage and waste mroe money. It is really a scammy behaviour this way and please don't tell it isn't for the sake of fanboyish defense.

Last edited:

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Pain. I was actually thinking last night of just going for two years right away, but I always talk myself out of purchases unless I'm really sure I want something. At least I got the one year. Maybe something will come up before the sub ends.

Definitely going to attempt to play the PS3 games I'm interested in during the next year just in case. Went 360 that gen.
I'd focus on the PS3 games and play as much as you can in the next two months. I hear like a 100 ish are leaving the service with this new restructuring and we don't know which.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I bought 3 this morning and I was planning on buying more after my vacation but it looks like I'm just set until 09/2025 so that's fine by me. I was thinking about doing a few 10 years but looks like the decision has been made for me.

Oct 25, 2017
They're still getting the same value of what they originally purchased though. A $60 PS+ plan and a $60 PSNow plan. It's just that PSNow-only people get more of a benefit that skews the comparison. But I guess good for them, there's not many of them so they can have that bone. Offering someone else more, doesn't take away that you still have what you paid for. I don't expect Sony to do anything for PS+ besides maybe offer a discount to upgrade to premium for the first year or something.

Okay Think of it this way, Person A, last Monday buys 1 year of + and 1 year of Now. Come June, if Sony don't do what I'm saying they end up with the remainder of 1 year of PS+ Premium.

Person B, last Monday only buys 1 year of Now. Come June they get the same thing, remainder of 1 year of PS+ Premium. But what if on that same day in June they buy 1 year of PS+. It gets tacked into the end of their subscription.

So both paid the same price but one is getting more value based only on the timing of their purchase.

I understand the logic you're using. People are getting what they paid for but I believe once you establish that PS Now equals PS+ Premium that value needs to apply for everyone, and their (before now) completely separate subscription shouldn't disqualify them for getting that same value of conversion.

And let's face it, they needed to upgrade everyone with Now to Premium, it's the only tier with the content and features they originally paid for. And going forward it's now going to be twice as expensive to get those features in the case of people with only Now, and those who also have Plus lose the option of letting their Plus lapse in favour of PS Now.

Obviously, at least a few people don't agree with me so I'm starting to doubt how much of a sure thing it will be. We'll see when they give more details closer to launch, they haven't even talked about upgrades, which I imagine will be pretty straight forward, but a key part of this strategy. So there's more info to come.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Dang, I missed it.

Sony, how about just offering an upgrade path like a reasonable person. I already have and paid for PS+ and I'm willing to pay the extra $60 for PSNow.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Dang, I missed it.

Sony, how about just offering an upgrade path like a reasonable person. I already have and paid for PS+ and I'm willing to pay the extra $60 for PSNow.

That will likely come closer to launch. This announcement was likely timed to get out early so it could occur before their fiscal year ends. That's why it was a bit bare bones on the details like the library of games and whatnot. Over the next couple months we'll no doubt get tons more info including details on an upgrade path for PS+ users.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
That will likely come closer to launch. This announcement was likely timed to get out early so it could occur before their fiscal year ends. That's why it was a bit bare bones on the details like the library of games and whatnot. Over the next couple months we'll no doubt get tons more info including details on an upgrade path for PS+ users.
Pretty much.
Sony isn't going to miss out on people that want to upgrade their $60 sub to a $120 sub, too much potential profit.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.
Sony isn't going to miss out on people that want to upgrade their $60 sub to a $120 sub, too much potential profit.
Yeah some people in their thread getting angry at Sony is just funny. They would be insane to not have an upgrade path. People just need to relax

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They'll have an upgrade. If they didn't, that dissuades all the plus subscribers from upgrading. The exact demo they are making this for.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Played Silent Hill 2 today, so many great memories. Game still looks so good. Hard to believe it's 21 years old.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So many people here stacking until the 2030s and I'm not even sure I'll still be on Playstation, or even gaming at all, that far out.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of weeks ago, when someone renews his PS Plus sub or starts one with a yearly sub, didn't they offer them a yearly sub for PS NOW? What happened to this? Did anyone try by now this? Or doing this will scam you another 60 bucks? Why someone paying 60 bucks for NOW gets the premium while another pays the same 60 bucjs does not get it?
This reminds me of their BS Uncharted PS5 upgrade (that should have been free to start with): so someone who got Uncharted 4 or TLL on PS4 pays 10 bucks and gets both on PS5 and someone who has both on PS4 pays the same upgrade price to get them instead of paying half the price.
The PS NOW vs PS+ / Premium BS is even worse than this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded up some Red Dead Redemption immediately was reminded that streaming isn't ready yet. Feels so sluggish

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't really have a choice but to move PSNow subs to the premium tier. PSNow was sold on the premise of being able to stream your games. Since streaming is premium tier only not upgrading them would probably open them up to potential legal liability.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't really have a choice but to move PSNow subs to the premium tier. PSNow was sold on the premise of being able to stream your games. Since streaming is premium tier only not upgrading them would probably open them up to potential legal liability.
I agree, Sony was obligated. They also benefit from simplifying their services so I don't think they're concerned about the loss. But I still don't think PS+ is going to get anything besides PS+ Essentials and maybe a discount to upgrade.

Patchanka

Mar 8, 2018
Did they block the redeem of 12mo codes? Because I got late yesterday, but then I got a Belgian code for around 42 euros in CDKeys. OK, had to create a Belgian account, and the interface is in French, but since 90% of the games are English-only or have language selection, I can live with it.

I got one code yesterday, but I think I will get another one...