bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Has any movie every really justified the one shot thing as a story telling or thematic device rather than a marketing bullet point?

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Strongly disagree, favorite movie of 2019. I was moved to tears twice and was in awe of the entire thing.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is there no OT for this film? Saw this today and loved it. I absolutely cared about the characters and my heart was pounding the whole way. Amazingly shot obviously and also well acted. Great take on a war movie

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Weird take. It's a well made movie with a clear purpose. How can you call it style over substance when literally the entire movie is about the two main characters and their mission to save 1600+ lives? You're hating on its immersive single-shot style just because it's unconventional. Cool.

Once again Era confirms movie literacy is at an all time low.

Has any movie every really justified the one shot thing as a story telling or thematic device rather than a marketing bullet point?
Why would anyone need to justify a device used to create immersion in a war movie? The purpose is self-evident.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember people saying similar things about The Revenant and it lowered my expectations but I ended up really enjoying it. Hopefully this one will be the same!

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Weird take. It's a well made movie with a clear purpose. How can you call it style over substance when literally the entire movie is about the two main characters and their mission to save 1600+ lives? You're hating on its immersive single-shot style just because it's unconventional. Cool.

Why would anyone need to justify a device used to create immersion in a war movie? The purpose is self-evident.

One shot fakery actually has the opposite effect, all it does it draw attention to itself

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely, but as far as Oscar bait goes, that was spectacular. So much other stuff is trash.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I think what makes it not that oscar baity, is that it's not very actor-centric (similar to Dunkirk). You have to remember that by far the biggest voting block at the Oscars is actors.

When I think of blatant Oscar baits, I think of blandly directed inspirational based-on-a-true-story dramas with BIG performances. So films like King's Speech, Hidden Figures, Ray and The Theory of Everything.

From this year's Oscar hopefuls Ford V Ferrari, Judy, Bombshell, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Just Mercy feel like the most Oscar-baity.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I genuinely believe it has more heart and human emotion than any movie I've seen in the past few years. Deakins is getting a lot of deserved praise, but I think the technical achievements getting so much attention has overshadowed just how moving the performances--especially from George Mackay--are.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie Imo, probably is my favorite of the year alongside parasite. I don't understand how else this movie could be marketed or get any money other than being released in Oscar season.

I do think it does a lot of intentional simple things that don't make it stand out all that much and almost predictable when you notice whether it was the one shot, the quite moment -> hey its this actor -> action scene -> quite moment -> action scene -> quiet moment -> hey its this guy etc it was still good enough for me to enjoy it, and far from the typical oscar bait. I hope this movie becomes the standard for Oscar bait if its going to be called Oscar bait

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you mean that you forgot the script along the way. I saw the movie this afternoon, and it doesn't for one second lose sight of the characters' motivations.
The motivations were there but rather not fleshed out enough to care enough or serve an impact as was intended, more rather oh yeah, they're dead, well that sucks.

Comes back to having to move onto the next thing and to keep moving forward, even at the sacrifice from giving the characters more time to give the viewer a reason to care, again it's probably just the effect of the one take editing style I would assume.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm honestly surprised George Mackay isn't getting Best Actor buzz. It's a stacked year but I thought he did a wonderful job, especially acting so much of the film through facial expressions.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The motivations were there but rather not fleshed out enough to care enough or serve an impact as was intended, more rather oh yeah, they're dead, well that sucks.

Comes back to having to move onto the next thing and to keep moving forward, even at the sacrifice from giving the characters more time to give the viewer a reason to care, again it's probably just the effect of the one take editing style I would assume.

that's the whole point, death is completely unceremonious in this as the heroes, and the war, carry on their path

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
What even is Oscar bait anymore? I see Oscar bait as safe, bland and generic.

If stylistic films like this the new Oscar bait.. i'm in.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
For it to be realistic, there were a couple of instances that just takes you out of the film due to some of the terrible choices that the characters perform.

that's a different point I guess, I thought some of their acts of valour were a bit weird but it speaks to their naivety so I can easily look beyond it...your initial point I thought was just about how death was depicted in the film

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I enjoyed it a ton, though I also see how other people are just writing it off as a stunt rather than an actual film. It's gorgeous, and I think the central gimmick works for the story that the movie is telling. It's about the experience of war on the individual, so it justifies the need to tell it in real time. The trickery is noticable, but I didn't really mark that as a negative.

It's also a pretty solid script, humanizing its' heroes through subtle & relatable moments.

Overall, I'd easily rank it above both Once Upon A Time In Hollywood & The Irishman, and about parallel with Parasite if I were voting this year.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018

One storytelliny strategy modern Hollywood seems to have really mastered is being careful to render certain characters pivotal to a drama as complete ciphers, so as to prime the audience into doing all the shading-in work for the filmmakers, while they focus on effects, pulling the right heartstrings (always emotions in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS, rote family ties bonds, slow-mo, lots of screaming and crying, drawn-out death scenes, etc.). Like today's popular quickie, "cooking-without-cooking" recipes, it really has become a devastatingly-effective formula for serving up sure-fire audience-bait for lazy filmmakers.

How about, for a welcome contrast, a big war film free of theme-park set pieces?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Oscar Bait" isn't a thing and I really hate people using it as it assumes motivation of the filmmakers and dismisses their intent or artistry. At best it's a term that should be reserved for movies that are actually bad or utterly fail because a movie like 1917 is still a good movie and an impressive technical achievement at the end of the day. The story is told through one simple thruline and one character's POV and meant to be taken in real time. Mendes felt attempting one singular shot was the best way to convey that and I think he and Deakins, neither of which are desperate for Oscars at this point in their careers, presented that well to serve the purpose of the plot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that people, here or elsewhere, think that any movie is made with the intention of winning an Oscar is absolutely fucking hilarious. You guys really need to get a grip

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that people, here or elsewhere, think that any movie is made with the intention of winning an Oscar is absolutely fucking hilarious. You guys really need to get a grip

More so rather a cherry on top as it's pretty much like a Super Bowl trophy for anybody working in the film industry.

Not everybody has an Oscar, might as well go for one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
More so rather a cherry on top as it's pretty much like a Super Bowl trophy for anybody working in the film industry.

Not everybody has an Oscar, might as well go for one.
I still think it's asinine. The idea that the Oscar voters generally lean towards certain genres/styles/etc is absolutely true to an extent, but I don't for a second believe Sam Mendes made this movie out of any motivation than passion for the material, and I think it's pretty rude to suggest so.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I have to disagree, it was a very good, very tense journey with 2 characters in a horrible situation. They showed the horrors of war without lingering on it and having to see a guy staggering around holding his own intestines, the performances were great, and the cinematography was obviously extremely well done. It was great. It's not one of those movies that I'd put on multiple times to have a good time, but if you're in the right mood, it can scratch an itch. I felt for both characters and I think the movie did well in informing their characters and fleshing them out as they went along. Little glimpses, but enough to make them feel like real people.

Oscar bait? Eh, whatever. Sometimes people want to tackle nasty parts of history and do it in an interesting way, doesn't mean they're coldly calculating the best way to get votes from a bunch of academy voters.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1917 is a very good film, but I wouldn't rank it highly on a Best Picture ballot. The cinematography is fantastic- it's an incredible visual film. There's just not a lot to the story/characters in a way that makes it kind of hard for anything but that visual aspect to stick with you after.

The middle sections of the film felt like you they were pulled straight from a Diablo game, not a FPS shooter. And I loved that approach to a war movie like this.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I have to disagree, it was a very good, very tense journey with 2 characters in a horrible situation. They showed the horrors of war without lingering on it and having to see a guy staggering around holding his own intestines, the performances were great, and the cinematography was obviously extremely well done. It was great. It's not one of those movies that I'd put on multiple times to have a good time, but if you're in the right mood, it can scratch an itch. I felt for both characters and I think the movie did well in informing their characters and fleshing them out as they went along. Little glimpses, but enough to make them feel like real people.

Oscar bait? Eh, whatever. Sometimes people want to tackle nasty parts of history and do it in an interesting way, doesn't mean they're coldly calculating the best way to get votes from a bunch of academy voters.

Agree with this. Personally I really enjoyed it, but wouldn't put it as 'best of the year' or anything like that. An excellent cinema experience.

One thing on the "horrors of war" in the film, I agree it did quite a good job - but I think it could have done more here.
Particularly around the portrayal of the Germans in the film. I have very limited knowledge on the historical accuracy here, and that isn't what i'm complaining about, but I think it's notable that every interaction with German's in the film was one of them being ruthless and showing no compassion. Maybe it just helps with the tension of the film, but I think it could have been powerful to show even a small moment of understanding/compassion between soldiers in a meaningless war.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would watch a two hour film of a guy washing dishes if it was shot by Roger Deakins.

CKDexterHaven

Nov 26, 2017

How many have actually seen it? Hot takes from articles one has read are bit silly.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but I guess naturally it'll get compared to other cinematic WW movies like Dunkirk.

I preferred Dunkirks story where I was attached to the characters, but the technical aspect of 1917 was crazy.