Zip

Oct 28, 2017
We were selling our home and noticed that for sample numbers a mortgage broker was sharing, we could not even afford our own place if we were just getting in the market now. Even with 35% down. We would have had to put more like 60% down to have affordable payments.

Even re-sale condo suites go for like 400k+. Beyond me how people who are just getting started can even find the downpayment for a condo, let alone a house.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
When I bought my home a few years ago my family was so confused when I insisted on putting down 20% for this exact reason.

I literally had to take out a pen and paper and show the math to my parents to explain why, in the long run, I would have much more financial breathing room by putting down as much as I could possibly afford up front.

Yea this is what I did as well, literally had only 1000 EUR on my bank account left, everything else went into the down payment.

Totally worth it, though. New construction, finished building in early 2023. Nice and clean. I have never been more at peace. Renting in those awful 1960s buildings was destroying me mentally.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I saw the article for what it was, Zillow propaganda. It's in Fortune too. A business rag. I do think the discussion of affordability a relevant one, even if the article is hogwash.

Oh JFC I didn't even notice it was fortune.

Fortune strictly publishes algorithm bait. They're the one that always publishes some AI written article about people making $400k a year and unable to afford candles.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yea this is what I did as well, literally had only 1000 EUR on my bank account left, everything else went into the down payment.

Totally worth it, though. New construction, finished building in early 2023. Nice and clean. I have never been more at peace. Renting in those awful 1960s buildings was destroying me mentally.
Man I wish new construction was common here. Here means you're paying 2 million for a 1960s house.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
That's what I've been telling the clients that they need a minimum of $70k which includes down payment and closing costs for $600k house if doing the 3.5% down payment.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Probably will get worse when climate change gets even worse and home owners get even more protective and the government won't care as long as the stock market does well.

Makkah

Feb 9, 2018
The wife and I bought a house last year and it took 7 months of constant searching to find something. We were constantly outbid and had to change our strategy to looking for a cheaper that we were comfortable going 30k above asking to meet the max we were willing to pay to be successful.

It also helped that the owners at the time refused to sell to investors. We got extremely lucky.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
I'm just happy we live in an area that hasn't had too crazy of a rise in house prices (relatively speaking). We bought our first home last year for $235k. Only put 5% down and our monthly housing costs are about 25% of our income. No idea how people are supposed to buy their first home in some states where the average house price is at least double that or more

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Yeah I realized this a long time ago and aiming for like 50% down. I don't understand how people are paying $3-4k mortgages every month.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My only hope will probably be VA loan, but single income in San Diego is tough.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Some of these down payments are crazy to me though. 3.5% and 5%??? That seems incredibly low.

For comparison, Sweden has a flat minimum 15% down payment. Helps avoid putting people in too much trouble later on.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Aren't people in HCOL areas putting down 5% because a 20% downpayment is already considered absurd with the high values? 35% is laughable.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm never owning a home. Thankfully my landlord was "kind" enough to not raise my rent this upcoming year, but it was already around half my monthly income lmao

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean, that's kind of the thing. People straight up cannot afford their mortgage if they don't pay down a sizeable portion of the cost up front. Interest rates + house prices make pretty average houses ludicrously expensive.

I think I put 8 percent down and I can easily afford my mortgage. It's still cheaper than rent in my area. 🤷

I suppose it's a case by case basis really.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
This and inflation is where the democrats are getting hammered a lot -- housing, military spending, and cost of living and healthcare are all out of control in the USA. Sadly I don't think its gonna be a priority for democrats if they get re-elected, even sweeping congress and presidency. Republicans don't give a fuck and will be happy if corporations own every house and rent them out.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Aren't people in HCOL areas putting down 5% because a 20% downpayment is already considered absurd with the high values? 35% is laughable.
Respectfully, I'm in San Diego and my 20% down was more than some in this thread have said their whole house cost. My wife and I did not have the benefit of inheritance or "family money" but just saved for the first 10+ years of our marriage. SD is home and always where we intended to raise our family. Took a lot of sacrifices over the years. Just our experience, not reflective of anyone else's.

YimbyButler

Jun 1, 2024
This and inflation is where the democrats are getting hammered a lot -- housing, military spending, and cost of living and healthcare are all out of control in the USA. Sadly I don't think its gonna be a priority for democrats if they get re-elected, even sweeping congress and presidency. Republicans don't give a fuck and will be happy if corporations own every house and rent them out.
-department of justice literally sued one of those price fixing companies less than a month ago

-Biden admin work: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...boost-housing-supply-and-lower-housing-costs/

-it's honestly not even a federal or state problem, it's the local level, cities and counties make it a pain to build.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the end game here? People who aren't exceptionally rich won't be able to afford housing? Then what? Millions of houses sit empty because no one can afford them? You can't milk people from housing prices if the majority can't fucking afford it. At what point is there going to be any federal opposition to this shit?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
But I can't even afford 20%

And the average sale price of a home in my area is $1.3 million

35% of that is double what my parents paid for a detached home. the entire cost of the home, not the down-payment. the down-payment of the average home today is DOUBLE the total price of a detached home from 20 years ago.

toronto is great
I couldn't even imagine trying to live in a dystopian world like Toronto. I'm an hour east and it's still hard enough.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the end game here? People who aren't exceptionally rich won't be able to afford housing? Then what? Millions of houses sit empty because no one can afford them? You can't milk people from housing prices if the majority can't fucking afford it. At what point is there going to be any federal opposition to this shit?
You've got it wrong. The prices are high because enough can with low inventory on the market.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

The end game is that everyone rents. And investors pass around houses by the dozens (or thousands). Which necessitates rent increases regularly. Until they win capitalism.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
There's about to be a bunch of housing stock freed up from tens of millions of boomers downsizing/retiring.

Many older people are keeping their homes once they find out that they'll basically make nothing selling their home in it's current state and then buying into a smaller home that's basically the same price. The promise of their home paying for the gap in their retirement funds is fading fast with the way prices are going unless they move to the middle of nowhere.

The gov't is going to have to start building actual starter homes/housing that isn't immediately eaten up by investors if things are going to change.

Last edited:

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
We put down $150k on. $540k house back in 2022, It was the profit we had from selling our house in NY.

Even with the 4.5 % interest our mortgage is stupid high. Mid 3's.

If we could have gotten a cheaper 5 bedroom in a good school district we would have but that was the inventory at the time.

Dec 17, 2022
A loan of 300-325k will put you damn near 3k a month for mortgage 😵‍💫

I've been looking for places around 250-300k and all I could find were townhomes, for-closured fixer-upers, and auction homes. Makes me wonder how people are snagging these 500k houses and with what careers 😅

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
These prices are creating really weird situations where the people buying into neighborhoods might be making 2-3x as much as their neighbors that bought when prices and interest rates weren't stupid. Like I'm wondering if this is going to end up gentrifying even the 20-30 year old working class suburbs as things turnover instead of the typical much older inner suburbs.

The government really does need to intervene sooner rather than later though. Policies that drastically reduce property values are political poison. So taking measures that might slow the value growth or hopefully even freeze prices for an extended amount of time so wages can catch up is probably the best we'll get. Doesn't change the fact that demand must be more equalized so steps have to be taken to increase inventory.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Time to move out to the middle of nowhere

Most here would consider where I live just that. Bought a "starter" house in 2016. Pretty confident I could get a good 75% more than what we paid.

Still cheaper than in a big city for sure. But, this starter home is probably out of a LOT of peoples price range any more. Especially combined with higher interest rates.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I think I put 8 percent down and I can easily afford my mortgage. It's still cheaper than rent in my area. 🤷

I suppose it's a case by case basis really.
I did something similar. It's like you said: case-by-case. If I were looking to buy my house today, with its market value and interest rates being what they are, it'd be a shock to the finances.

But, my definition of "afford" might be a bit more conservative than other folks. Like, I'm not looking to have my ass beat by a mortgage to the point that I'm scrutinizing every other bill/expense I have, and forgoing savings/retirement in order to make it work. Throw in the prospect of having kids one day, and there's nothing less appealing to me than a 3k+ mortgage payment.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Another reason why young folks are banding together and buying a home together. I couldn't see myself sharing a home but desperate times I guess.

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
But I can't even afford 20%

And the average sale price of a home in my area is $1.3 million

35% of that is double what my parents paid for a detached home. the entire cost of the home, not the down-payment. the down-payment of the average home today is DOUBLE the total price of a detached home from 20 years ago.

toronto is great
Toronto itself is fucked. And people asked me why I am now 2 hours outside Toronto.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
This and inflation is where the democrats are getting hammered a lot -- housing, military spending, and cost of living and healthcare are all out of control in the USA.
I only see commercials when watching local news these days, which I know is a somewhat Baby Boomer-associated behavior in the first place, but I will say that the Biden Campaign's recent ads highlighting the IRA have been VERY good, IMO here in Madison, WI. It basically comes across as "I HAVE in fact been working to address inflation, and I have a plan to address it further in my second term (even if those plans are very vague right now and honestly probably slightly too late with where inflation levels are at)." We need more of this recontextualization for lower information voters of Biden being a president of action, and as a champion fighting inflation.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As per usual with these threads, just casually accepting I'll never own a home and I've made my peace with that reality.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
These prices are creating really weird situations where the people buying into neighborhoods might be making 2-3x as much as their neighbors that bought when prices and interest rates weren't stupid. Like I'm wondering if this is going to end up gentrifying even the 20-30 year old working class suburbs as things turnover instead of the typical much older inner suburbs.

I live in a neighborhood that is mostly older tract housing, small yards, decent but nothing special about it at all. 20 minutes from the city. A house on my street went up for sale late last year, first time a house on this street has been available since the market went nuts.

The folks who moved into that house obviously have way more money than anyone else on the street, and they immediately spearheaded the old HOA management company being terminated and the hiring of a new, much stricter one. It fucking sucks

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a condo just a couple months ago and feel kinda lucky and kind of not about the whole thing.

Kind of lucky because I was able to live with my parents until my mid-30s. I had enough in savings that I could drop over 50% down on the place, and I have a 15 year mortgage with a total payment of "only" 1.2K a month before property tax, insurance, and HOA fees.

Kind of not lucky, because if I had bought three or four years ago, I could have gotten a similar place for around 100 thousand dollars less, with a much lower interest rate.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
My down payment in Taiwan ended up being 22% on a house that after currency conversion was 666k. This was very lucky for us because several banks turned us down because I am a foreigner, or would want 40-50% down payments.

My parents were able to help with the final 25K we needed for everything. We're lucky that interest rates for mortgages are still very low here (2.02% and that was considered high, also seen as a foreigner tax). We never could have afforded this place with the higher rates in the US.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
The article is how much you need to put down to afford monthly payments, something most first time homebuyers will not be able to do only putting down 3.5%.
And demand. How many want to move out in the middle of nowhere, crappy satellite internet with long commutes. So everyone is trying for the same general area so sellers can charge crazy amounts and still sell their homes. Probably someone paying all 💰 on top of that.