captive

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm an American who thinks the infrastructure of this country is at best, completely pathetic. As for all of the "America is too big and massive"... no, just no.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REni8Oi1QJQ&t=576s

And for major state parks, you can always design transit options from the nearest population centers. Really big attractions like say Yellowstone could even get their own trains from the nearest transit centers, while consistent bus services could be designed for many major national parks. And of course at some point, you'll need a car like even the best designed transit places in the country. Good transit networks have never and never will be about serving every single possible place, just the ones that are convenient to do so between population centers and where there can be natural demand for them such as at the most popular state parks.

My derision of EVs is building so much of the conversation around a sustainable future on them. Car dependent infrastructure at the cost of all other infrastructure is the fundamental problem, not the existent of gas powered vehicles to access more remote places. The focus on EV infrastructure and the conversations around mileages ignore or even worse yet, supersede points about transit networks, high density development, walkable spaces, and the reality that most people don't actually do big road trips that often. EVs end up sucking all the air out of the room for the real solutions to the vast majority of America's problems, and that is Americans fell for car propaganda and rebuilt their cities around car dependent infrastructure and now have internalized that to the point that the US and the people living there will spend a fortune on inefficient, difficult to build, "clean" cars rather than address the problems on any level.

Which I mean, post-Covid, that's not surprising anymore, but always supremely disappointing.

I knew someone was going to specifically NOT read my post and post that video.

I specifically said we NEED trains cross country, it's entirely possible and really no reason not to do it, other than oil companies and southwest airlines lobbying against it.

What you failed to read and understand is, your not going to build public transportation for bespoke places 50/100/200 miles away from any major city that a high speed rail would connect to. So yea, cars will always be needed.

Take my big Bend example, it's a 5+ hour drive from El Paso and 7+ hour drive from San Antonio. Or some more cool places to visit in Texas, cause that's what I'm familiar with, Caddo Lake, a beautiful lake with bald cypress trees everywhere. Its 3+ hours from Dallas. But there are awesome state & national parks, small towns, and many other places to visit all over the country. It would be a logistical nightmare and waste of money building connecting trains to these places.

Sorry you don't like cars, but it's a fact of life of you want to do anything outside of a city irrespective of if that city has amazing public transport or not, you need a car.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My parents recently rented a gas car for a very long road trip. It was decently affordable. My next will be EV, and if I ever do road trip, I would simply rent and skip the station planning. Don't have to worry about wear and tear too.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, the EV infrastructure is still in its infancy. It will get much better within the next few years.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Why the Prius Prime has been attractive to me as a stop gap while charging infrastructure is built out. Could go fully EV for my day to day work commute/local errands and gas for the long trips.

If only there was actually stock and not insane markups :\
This was the exact reason I thought the Chevy Volt was brilliant and then everyone shat all over it because they didn't understand how it worked. I was infuriated every time that car came up. Electric/green fans didn't like it because they didn't think it went far enough. And all the boomers at work thought it could only go 50mi ever. I've never seen the public get a product so wrong before.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Drove to Vegas and back from Los Angeles recently, I was ok with it but I definitely wouldn't do it if it was frequent. Charging infrastructure for EVs is constantly improving, I doubt this'll be an issue in a couple years

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
That is why I'm going with the plug in hybrid route. Next year Volkswagen is releasing a Tiguan plug in hybrid that has a 60 mile range on the battery. That's enough for my daily comute

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of that black mirror episode where the lady can't charge her car and has to hitch a ride with a trucker. Definitely a long way to go for infrastructure

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is why everyone joining Tesla's network is a great thing. I've done numerous 4 to 6hr road trips with no issues.

Getting use to the 15 - 20min wait is about the only annoyance. But even thats not that big of an issue because you can stretch and get some food. I also havent even hit a receipt over $15 so far.

I know not every location is the same though. My charge stations are always empty but im sure places like Cali is much different.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why everyone joining Tesla's network is a great thing. I've done numerous 4 to 6hr road trips with no issues.

Getting use to the 15 - 20min wait is about the only annoyance. But even thats not that big of an issue because you can stretch and get some food. I also havent even hit a receipt over $15 so far.

I know not every location is the same though. My charge stations are always empty but im sure places like Cali is much different.

Wait, they're joining the network? I thought they were just adopting the plug standard.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't just ignore that some people live in apartments.

Yup, that's me! When I was looking at replacing my 2017 RAV4 I started looking at the Prime but then I realized it would need the occassional charge. Living in an apartment in a rural area no less kind of killed that prospect though. At this point I figure when I move and buy a home in the next 5 years or so Toyota will have refined their Prime models more and that would be the time to go for a Plug In Hybrid.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yup, that's me! When I was looking at replacing my 2017 RAV4 I started looking at the Prime but then I realized it would need the occassional charge. Living in an apartment in a rural area no less kind of killed that prospect though. At this point I figure when I move and buy a home in the next 5 years or so Toyota will have refined their Prime models more and that would be the time to go for a Plug In Hybrid.
And that's the thing. Nobody is saying anyone has to get some type of electrified car anytime soon or ever. It depends on your individual situation and what you're willing to compromise on. It depends on how much research someone is willing to do. So many factors that go into a decision like this.

For some, an EV makes complete sense and meets their needs 95-100% of the time. For others, it could be a borderline disaster.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah EV's are awesome but at the same time until we get more infrastructure to directly support them some areas of the country they absolutely would just be more of a headache to try to use.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Did a 750 miles trip a few weeks ago with my Tesla and it was a great experience, I will never go back to ICE. I don't understand how no other company has taken the EV infrastructure seriously yet beside Tesla. It's fucking crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla has been beta testing allowing others to use the network for a little while.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Seems like a no brainer way for Tesla to generate another easy revenue stream so not surprised, just only knew of the plug standard

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Did a 750 miles trip a few weeks ago with my Tesla and it was a great experience, I will never go back to ICE. I don't understand how no other company has taken the EV infrastructure seriously yet beside Tesla. It's fucking crazy.
Tesla is all-in on Electric, while most other car companies are not. Established car companies can sell EVs as almost a hobby until they need it to be the primary thing (either through market forces or legislation). But they all want "someone else" to foot the bill. High benefit, low risk.
Tesla didn't have that luxury. That's why they rolled it out in phases, as they built both their capital and network to support their cars.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Tesla is all-in on Electric, while most other car companies are not. Established car companies can sell EVs as almost a hobby until they need it to be the primary thing (either through market forces or legislation). But they all want "someone else" to foot the bill. High benefit, low risk.
Tesla didn't have that luxury. That's why they rolled it out in phases, as they built both their capital and network to support their cars.
I get it but fast chargers are not cheap, there is profit to be made for these companies. Why is no one investing to be an early player and rake in the money down the line?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Owning a BEV (exclusively) in any state that isn't California, is a fool's errand IMO.

Even in California it's not totally ideal either. The number of times I've been a place that had all the chargers full or had broken chargers is far more frequent than I would think is ideal. I think one problem is that even though chargers around, there's way more people with EV cars that are fighting for the chargers. What used to look like, oh that place has 10 to 20 chargers in the lot and looks like a lot now feels nowhere near enough now that I want to use one.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I think my favourite thing about this transition is everyone complaining that the car forces them to take a break every few hours like they should already be doing.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
"Freedom from" vs "freedom to," the root issue of modernity, distilled to perfection here. Amazing.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
It's not terrible with Tesla given their network.

It can be very challenging with non-Tesla vehicles. Fewer stalls, chargers out of service.

One thing some people don't realize too is that the optimal route structure is basically charging from 10-~80% and then continuing. Charging that last 20% takes a LONG time.

But that also means your range between stops is 70-75% of your car's battery.

Now, this assumes sun belt weather. Move to winter and and you can see why a lot of Northerners use the EV as the "around town" car

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Cool article. Further entrenching the idea that people shouldn't buy EVs yet due to the range, because the ten thousand mile road-trip they're never going to take might need some planning.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
EV cars are one of the worst product in history. They provide no real benefit to consumers while being more expensive.

The only problem with EV is that we just don't have enough lithium to go 100% EV, and a fleet of hybrid vehicles would apparently generate less pollution overall.
The best solution is still to develop public transport everywhere, work from home whenever possible, and redevelop cities to make cars a luxury, not a necessity.

Chippewa Barr