• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody ever mentions Apple Music's killer feature. Smart Playlists that allow you to set rules to a playlist and have music automatically be added to it. It's hands down the best feature of either service. I feel like I should make a thread about it just to see what people think of it.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I had to leave google music because the app was absolutely fucking garbage on ios, at least Spotify works. And it works on everything. Dunno, most of these complaints are just peeves

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I am happy to use either Google or Spotify but Apple Music is awful, don't even use the free trials I constantly get offered now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody ever mentions Apple Music's killer feature. Smart Playlists that allow you to set rules to a playlist and have music automatically be added to it. It's hands down the best feature of either service. I feel like I should make a thread about it just to see what people think of it.

You should! I know nothing of it!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Until Spotify allows me to add the fundreds of live bootleg albums from my favorite bands, it's useless to me. I also think it's UI is needlessly cluttered, and unintuitive, but that's probably because I spend so much time on Apple Music. I personally love Apple Music, but I agree that Spotify has it beat with regards to playlists. I'll usually fire up my free Spotify account when I have people over, it's better for those situations.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Is this new? Because I never utilized this when I was subbed or even noticed it was a feature.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You should! I know nothing of it!

Is this new? Because I never utilized this when I was subbed or even noticed it was a feature.

It's been a feature I THINK, for many many years, even during iPod days. The catch is it's only done on iTunes. I know I know, iTunes is terrible blah blah blah. This feature is so good that it's worth installing it

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph19487?locale=en_US

The rules you can create are super robust. From genre to date added or year recorded

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I've been on Spotify for years and it's treated me fine, but have considered the move to Apple Music. Problem is, my house is loaded with Google Homes, which don't play well with Apple Music. But on iOS, you can't change the default music application, so if you want to ask Siri to play something (like, say, driving), you're screwed. Bleh.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why anyone would switch if they play any games on console at the moment. Even my receiver plays much nicer as a Spotify device than an Airplay or Bluetooth device.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Rdio was still around. Two huge features I miss:
  • Search by record label
  • The social bits- The reviews, sending a song to another user etc.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a feature I THINK, for many many years, even during iPod days. The catch is it's only done on iTunes. I know I know, iTunes is terrible blah blah blah. This feature is so good that it's worth installing it

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph19487?locale=en_US

The rules you can create are super robust. From genre to date added or year recorded
Interesting. Not gonna lie, I'll never put in the work required to make this worthwhile, but it's a cool feature to have

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Not gonna lie, I'll never put in the work required to make this worthwhile, but it's a cool feature to have
It's really easy. I have basic ones setup to have all EDM songs added to a playlist, and then I have another EDM favorites playlist that are those same songs, but that I have selected "Love" on. My friends just do simple ones like Seasons or Year added

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Smart Playlists have been a thing for over 15 years. It requires you to set good rules and I almost always find it underused compared to my manual playlists like "Fabric," "Fabriclive," "recently added," and the good old faithful "iPhone." It's not that helpful, especially if you're in discovery mode and don't want to listen to the stuff you've already listened to.

EDIT: and to add genius is legit terrible. Some of those auto playlists are full on lol.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Smart Playlists have been a thing for over 15 years. It requires you to set good rules and I almost always find it underused compared to my manual playlists like "Fabric," "Fabriclive," "recently added," and the good old faithful "iPhone." It's not that helpful, especially if you're in discovery mode and don't want to listen to the stuff you've already listened to.

EDIT: and to add genius is legit terrible. Some of those auto playlists are full on lol.
Highly disagree. If you set your rules good enough it should be better than your manual playlists, unless of course your manual ones don't actually follow a pattern.

Recently added? How is it not better to have a smartlist add your song to a "recently added" folder as soon as you add it to your library instead of going through menus?

Don't know what "discovery" mode is. But you could add a rule in your playlist to only include songs that haven't been played before.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Highly disagree. If you set your rules good enough it should be better than your manual playlists, unless of course your manual ones don't actually follow a pattern.

Recently added? How is it not better to have a smartlist add your song to a "recently added" folder as soon as you add it to your library instead of going through menus?

Don't know what "discovery" mode is. But you could add a rule in your playlist to only include songs that haven't been played before.

Recently Added smart playlist is created by default for everyone who installs the app. Of course I see the value in that particular smart playlist. Spotify has discovery playlists that are automatically created on a daily and weekly basis.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
Lol

Spotify is the only good option.

Apple has an awful interface, a shitty desktop app, shitty music discovery features and a complete lack of community playlists. Google has no desktop app (lol) and the same downsides as apple.

No thanks. Literally no point in either of those services other than competition for Spotify. Using iOS as your main system helps but Spotify works with everything so not much of a benefit.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol

Spotify is the only good option.

Apple has an awful interface, a shitty desktop app, shitty music discovery features and a complete lack of community playlists. Google has no desktop app (lol) and the same downsides as apple.

No thanks. Literally no point in either of those services other than competition for Spotify. Using iOS as your main system helps but Spotify works with everything so not much of a benefit.
There are numerous benefits of having Apple Music on an iPhone