BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-music-vs-spotify-why-switch-2018-7
Google's smart speakers do allow you to play music from Apple Music, just as you would with a Bluetooth speaker - by pairing your phone and controlling everything on there.

But if I was going to spend the money on Google Home Minis - which cost $50 apiece or $78 if you buy two, which I did - I wanted to get my money's worth. Plus, I've been using a Google Home Max at my house for the last six months. Altogether, I currently have a nice little Google Home ecosystem, and I wanted to get the most out of it.

I naively thought that making the switch would be an easy one. Both apps offer access to a massive music library, provide personalized, curated playlists, and allow you to do things like listen to podcasts and radio. While Apple Music has gotten a few artist exclusives in the past, both apps currently offer most of the music I want to listen to.

Now, two months into using Spotify, I'm longing for my old life as an Apple Music user.

Kind of weird that Apple Music isn't available on other smart speakers besides Sonos right now, considering it's the biggest subscriber count in the USA.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
they give 5 reasons:

1. the background is black

2. there are too many menus

3. finding downloaded music is a pain

4. music requested with google home ends up in their spotify library

5. too many customization options

#savedyouaclick

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Apple Music's UI is absolute junk. It seems to want to do everything it can to keep me from my favourite music in favour of pushing something new that I have no interest in and making it tough to save or favourite things I listen to.

Beats 1 is nice, but that's really about it.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
#3 the downloaded music tab is the only valid argument. The others are they don't like dark themes, and they dislike choices.

My main issue with Spotify is how glitchy it can be when trying to skip tracks.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is essentially an article on why I use Google Music over Apple Music.

Google's Photos / Music apps have a universal-use and flexibility to them that I need (sharing family photo albums via Google Photos, or Playlists/users to my 6 allowed on Google Music) that Apple doesn't offer though I wish it did.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
they give 5 reasons:

#savedyouaclick

Thanks. I'd love Apple Music with a Dark UI, TBH.

But Spotify has Discover Weekly, Yearly Rewind, and Release Radar so........

Apple Music has two curated Weekly Discover playlists which have been great for me.

However, if you make a Playlist of music it then gets added to your "main" library which sucks because I don't want to delete my Christmas music playlist every year so I have to skip Christmas songs in July.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's been the opposite. Spotify's Discovery alone makes it worth the price of admission.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sound like non-issues. But should have switched to Google Music instead. Google hasn't killed it yet...

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I would consider just building a library on the device itself and relying on a different source for new music.

That's what I did. I'm done with streaming.

Oct 25, 2017
they give 5 reasons:

#savedyouaclick

1. is such a subjective thing

2. I guess? but I find Apple Music to be incredibly unintuitive.

3. This is a pain b/c Spotify focuses on playlist downloads over individual albums, but you can have your library sync

4. No idea, don't use Google Home

5. This makes no sense to me? I didn't think Spotify had any customization beyond basic stuff

Oct 28, 2017
But Spotify has Discover Weekly, Yearly Rewind, and Release Radar so........

I've had Spotify for a year now, mainly for these types of playlists, but I'm honestly not convinced they're very good. The algorithm keeps picking the same songs and most versions of the app don't seem to give you the ability to tell a song to fuck off forever. I can only do that on the app on my computer? Why is that not an option in web streaming? And even then, it seems to only care about related artists without actually learning. I vastly prefer female singers and something like Pandora has learned to only play female singers on certain playlists. Spotify doesn't seem to care.

I do wonder if Apple Music would be better in that regard. I might try it out sometime.

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why he bought the Google then. Being a Apple music users was the main reason why I bought a homepod over Google and Echo.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
I tried spotify, apple and google and found google to be the best and apple to be the worst.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 3rd point is disingenuous. She said everything's all mixed together and used the below screenshots as proof, but the screenshot on the left clearly shows the categories you can click through, and the screenshot on the right is just the "Recently Played" section, which of course is going to be a mix of everything you've recently listened to. She also complained about downloaded music not having its own category, but after you click through to an actual category like Artists or Albums, then there's a filter at the top of the page to only show downloaded music.

5b61df0e959f341e2e8b46c4-960-720.jpg

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I see what they are saying about the downloaded music part. The rest, though, seem like completely arbitrary personal preferences rather than issues (which is fine when the article is the author's opinion, anyway).

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of his reasons sound like bullshit, he lists the black background as his number one issue.

I guess they'll let just anyone write articles these days.

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the article, Spotify sucks.

I ended up paying a bit extra on top of Prime for Amazon music to play on my fire tv

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify has a few big usability issues I find absolutely baffling:

1) Not being able to show only downloaded content. Rdio had this interface nailed down. Shame Spotify bought them.

2) Not being able to filter out songs with EXPLICIT tags. Needing to manually curate a family friendly playlist is absurd given the fact that the EXPLICIT tags are already present.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've used Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play Music - I end up going back to Apple Music.

Spotify has great discovery playlists, but the UI is awful IMO compared to Apple Music. Also 100% agree about the downloaded music bit. It's annoying finding that stuff on Spotify vs Apple Music.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Spotify literally has a filter to only show downloaded content on mobile. Not sure why people are complaining about this. Spotify is generally the best streaming service at the moment, from selection and UI, to music discovery.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) Not being able to show only downloaded content. Rdio had this interface nailed down. Shame Spotify bought them.

2) Not being able to filter out songs with EXPLICIT tags. Needing to manually curate a family friendly playlist is absurd given the fact that the EXPLICIT tags are already present.

I'm not trying to be a Spotify shill here, but you guys are acting like old people who changed the input of their TV and don't know how to fix it.

1) Go to your library, choose the appropriate category for whatever you're trying to listen to, scroll to the top of the page and click the drop down button next to the filter text box, select "Downloads" to filter to only downloaded music

2) Go to your library, select the gear icon on the top right to get to settings, deselect "Allow explicit content"

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Spotify has an arbitrary limit of 10 000 saved songs. It's a really good deal in a family plan but could seriously use a ground up reworking of interface and how the library is structured.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made he switch to Spotify over Apple Music two weeks ago as well, and my experience is the opposite of hers. I'm loving Spotify over AM. I don't use any home systems so that doesn't effect anything for me, but when it comes to the other stuff, I love the dark theme, love how I get four distinct daily playlists as well as release radar, and love how good the recommendations are compared to AM. Her other complaints are foreign to me, never really noticed or bothered me.

I don't see myself switching back any time soon.

RoyLee

Aug 19, 2018

Totally agree with the second point. I have friends who try to avoid these songs and I wish there was just an option to avoid songs like those when you turn on a radio or something like that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Music has a better library for some obscure stuff from what I saw .
Spotify seems better in every other way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, is there a chance that you could update your OP with the actual reasons why the author misses Apple Music, instead of whatever irrelevant rambling about Google Home prices are?

they give 5 reasons:

#savedyouaclick

Thank you, refusing to turn off Adblock for shitty business insider clickbait I couldn't read the actual reasons.

Having read them, yes, they're stupid

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem with Google Music is that they took away the ability to sort new releases by genre. Makes zero sense. I would switch to Spotify but I heard that their radio playlists are curated poorly.