BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

That's some headline and description...

Edit:
Abstract from the novel the film is based on:
Like Brick Lane and The Kite Runner, Camilla Gibb's widely praised new novel is a poignant and intensely atmospheric look beyond the stereotypes of Islam. After her hippie British parents are murdered, Lilly is raised at a Sufi shrine in Morocco. As a young woman she goes on pilgrimage to Harar, Ethiopia, where she teaches Qur'an to children and falls in love with an idealistic doctor. But even swathed in a traditional headscarf, Lilly can't escape being marked as a foreigner. Forced to flee Ethiopia for England, she must once again confront the riddle of who she is and where she belongs.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if you look closely you can see Scarlett Johansson in the background

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Abstract from the novel the film is based on:
Like Brick Lane and The Kite Runner, Camilla Gibb's widely praised new novel is a poignant and intensely atmospheric look beyond the stereotypes of Islam. After her hippie British parents are murdered, Lilly is raised at a Sufi shrine in Morocco. As a young woman she goes on pilgrimage to Harar, Ethiopia, where she teaches Qur'an to children and falls in love with an idealistic doctor. But even swathed in a traditional headscarf, Lilly can't escape being marked as a foreigner. Forced to flee Ethiopia for England, she must once again confront the riddle of who she is and where she belongs.

Nov 30, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
This is based on a book written over ten years ago by an anthropology PHD who spent years doing research in Ethiopia. For any context that headline doesn't provide.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Hiarious headline, but the synopsis of the book makes me think it'll be okay. She won't be claiming to be 1/8th Ethiopian or be a white body with the brain of a Japanese lady or anything.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing good reviews about the book, though of course that headline sounds absurd at first glance

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they add some Hollywood spice to it since it sounds bland. She should go to Ethiopia to steal the Ark of the Covenant that's apparently there and bring it to the British Museum.
Honestly I kinda of wish they had gone with a Black english woman. One of the few things that is never explorered in fiction is the disconnect between descendants of slavery and Africans. There is a real gulf and pain there that needs exposure

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I kinda of wish they had gone with a Black english woman. One of the few things that is never explorered in fiction is the disconnect between descendants of slavery and Africans. There is a real gulf and pain there that needs exposure
I was gonna say, the book synopsis explains the movie premise (i.e. it's not like they randomly decided to cast Dakota Fanning as an Ethiopian) but there's probably something to say about choosing to adapt a story where the Ethiopian just happens to be white.

Oct 30, 2017
After her hippie British parents are murdered, Lilly is raised at a Sufi shrine in Morocco. As a young woman she goes on pilgrimage to Harar, Ethiopia, where she teaches Qur'an to children and falls in love with an idealistic doctor. But even swathed in a traditional headscarf, Lilly can't escape being marked as a foreigner.

And she would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Oct 25, 2017
Religion, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, country of residence and country of origin are all different things but a lot of modern bigotry expects them to be the same and illicts inappropriate responses when they aren't. People who find themselves between cultures feel this discrimination a lot and it's rarely a focus of popular imagery or study.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest with you , this doesn't bother me.

It bothers me more when it's done in a way to degrade people.

Let's hope it doesn't cause offence

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What was problematic about this movie?

Not two minutes have passed since Brie Larson's arrival in India - less than 24 hours after declaring that she doesn't even have a passport, mind you - and she has already stepped in poop, befriended a goat and observed Dalip Tahil eat rice off a banana leaf. She has also met a man named William J Patel, a name that any Indian can tell you - while theoretically possible in the same way that Donald Obama is theoretically possible - is a hard one to come across.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
At a glance, probable white saviour trope in a movie set in a country which was ruled by the British Empire.
I haven't seen it and based on the critical reception it does seem like a poorly made film but from reading the plot on Wiki, it doesn't seem to necessarily feature white savior tropes. It probably deserves some credit for having a mixed race couple pairing involving a south asian which you rarely see in hollywood. Though of course that doesn't excuse poor filmmaking.