• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Dude I still don't know how to properly use Pendulum Summoning. Plus I assume it is basically dead with the inclusion of Link Summoning's extra deck limitations. Might snag this in a few weeks on physical.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dude I still don't know how to properly use Pendulum Summoning. Plus I assume it is basically dead with the inclusion of Link Summoning's extra deck limitations. Might snag this in a few weeks on physical.

Nope.

1167177.jpg

51yAgk-HrtL.jpg

Plus you can still Pendulum Summon cards in your hand with no limit

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want this, but at the same time im so used to duel links that i would probably have a hard time adapting

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Did the first few duels in Yugioh's campaign. Just been sticking with Yugi's deck. I decided to try Kaiba vs Yugi reverse duel and got my ass kicked. Kaiba's deck has way too many summon monsters. Yugi basically whittled me down with like 1400 or lower monsters since I had nothing I could even summon.

I'm liking the game so far. Graphics are pretty shit though. The cutscene of summoning special monsters all look incredibly bad.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lawd!

Didn't realise the Campaign got 230 Battles! (Number from here)

So much content to eat!

Last edited:

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lawd!

Didn't realise the Campaign got 230 Battles!

It's a perfect pick up and play quick session game, my Switch says I have 35 hours in it, and I'm not even a third of the way through I'm pretty sure (got it from JP eshop since full english.)

I did spend a decent amount of time Grinding Nekroz, Lightsworn, and Shaddoll decks though.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Is the starting pool randomized? I've gotten some really weird but practical stuff like Castel and Chidori that I can throw into the decently competent starter.
How much can you zoom in on the cards? Is it better than previous games?
Zoom on the card art is bad to mediocre. Duel Links actually has a much better zoom.

If you want to just read the text, you can pull up the text full screen.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The added little animation flourishes and slowdown not present in the PS4 version are a fucking drag. The AI just sits there thinking for so long sometimes I think the game's frozen.

Trying to blast through the story as quick as possible to unlock more card packs and build some different decks. Having finished everything in the PS4 version makes the campaign grind feed a little longer.

Oct 25, 2017
i wish they had voice acting and what not, just feels like a glorified mobage.

Still gonna try to just grind some stages so i can make my decks instead of using the overpowered story decks.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So, what are pendulum monsters?

I've been playing around with deck building and have been having fun with XYZ and Link monsters, but I have a few pendulum ones and am wondering if I should be using them at all.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
And let us never gorget that one of the trolliest burn cards ever was a Synchro Monster
514avqFkKRL.jpg

It's amazing how forgetting to add "Once per turn" can break a card

Real talk, maybr look into "Trickstars"?

I mean...
latest

+
MP18EN036.jpg

+
latest

You completely burn your opponent 200 at a time
lmao literally Mad Scientist + Catapult Turtle all over again.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, what are pendulum monsters?

I've been playing around with deck building and have been having fun with XYZ and Link monsters, but I have a few pendulum ones and am wondering if I should be using them at all.

I'll just paste my explanation from the game OT

Pendulum Monsters
51Ll0Tl9WsL.jpg

This ones are arguably the most complicated, but also some of the most powerful cards out there

As you can see, Pendulum Monsters have 2 effect boxes. The upper box also has some red and blue arrows. The value in those arrows is called "Pendulum Scale"

Pendulums go in your normal deck (not the extra deck) and you can summon them as regular monsters, OR activate them as spells in the Pendulum Zones of the field

If you activate them as spells, they are considered face-up spell cards on the field, and they use their "spell mode" effect on the top box. They´ll remain on the Pendulum Zone until they are forcefuly removed, you can't replace them like ypu can with Field Spells.

When Pendulum Monsters are destroyed, regardless of which zone they were in, they are NOT sent to the graveyard, they'll go to your extra deck. Face-Up.

To Pendulum Summon monsters, you need 2 activated Pendulum Monsters in the Pendulum Zones.You can use the Pendulum Summon only Once per turn.

First, look at the "scales" of each pendulum monster (the red/blue arrows). In a Pendulum Summon you can summon ANY NUMBER of monsters in your hand or Pendulums in your Extra Deck (These would go into an available Extra Monster Zone) as long as these 2 conditions are met.

1-Their levels are inbetween the values of the scales of the activated cards in your pendulum zones.
2- They don't have any summon restriction, like Rituals or cards that state "Cannot be Special Summoned"

Now for an example. If I activated a a "Scale" 1 Pendulum Monster, and another with a Scale of 10. I can pendulum summon 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragons in my hand. As their levels (8 each) are inbetween 1 and 10

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I wrote a small guide a couple of months ago from playing the JP version and I posted it to reddit yesterday. It absolutely exploded to my shock:

All in all. It's a decent Yu-Gi-Oh! Game. I felt super bad playing online yesterday with my Chaos MAX Dragon deck against people who were clearly new and didn't have much of a deck going for them yet.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I played this game quite a bit on PS4 and I ordered this version a while ago (thnx TGG for having it @ £26 instead of the ludicrous £40 it is on the eShop) and I jumped straight into the GX campaign and... you can only have one fusion monster out at a time or something? Err what? When did this happen? And why? I played the PS4 version not too long ago and fusions definitely shared zones with regular monsters. I've checked in the settings and I don't think this can be changed?

I'm really bummed out about that. Jayden's deck is my favourite and this is kind of a massive nerf for fusions no? I'm actually considering returning the game because this is far from ideal for me.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Legacy of the Duelist that's on PS4/XB1 isn't gonna get an update for the Link stuff? If it's not I'll jump on this version.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
So I played this game quite a bit on PS4 and I ordered this version a while ago (thnx TGG for having it @ £26 instead of the ludicrous £40 it is on the eShop) and I jumped straight into the GX campaign and... you can only have one fusion monster out at a time or something? Err what? When did this happen? And why? I played the PS4 version not too long ago and fusions definitely shared zones with regular monsters. I've checked in the settings and I don't think this can be changed?

I'm really bummed out about that. Jayden's deck is my favourite and this is kind of a massive nerf for fusions no? I'm actually considering returning the game because this is far from ideal for me.

It's using Master Rules 4 which is the latest Master Rules that the TCG uses. It introduced Link Monsters, changed the field and introduced a summoning limit on the extra deck where you need to "Link" extra deck monsters into Link monsters.

I think the intent of this was to slow the overall TCG down but it hasn't really achieved that since people quickly figured out how to "Link" spam while continuing to pop extra deck monsters everywehre.

Try it out. You can still work with it. Just note that most of the "story" decks don't have Link monsters in them unless you build a custom deck.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's using Master Rules 4 which is the latest Master Rules that the TCG uses. It introduced Link Monsters, changed the field and introduced a summoning limit on the extra deck where you need to "Link" extra deck monsters into Link monsters.

I think the intent of this was to slow the overall TCG down but it hasn't really achieved that since people quickly figured out how to "Link" spam while continuing to pop extra deck monsters everywehre.

Try it out. You can still work with it. Just note that most of the "story" decks don't have Link monsters in them unless you build a custom deck.

Thanks for the explanation but this still kinda sucks for me since I have no interest in anything post-GX so it's disappointing that the rules are universal which isn't how it was during the GX anime. It'll take some getting used to at least.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is great, been enjoying stomping the story battles with some simple decks I could put together (Gravekeepers and Amazoness). Unlocking cards is gonna be a slog though, I can already tell.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So... how do I unlock packs to build "real" decks so I can play through Story mode (where the decks they give you are horrific and I have to re-start each one like 5 times), when it seems that unlocking packs in the shop is locked behind story mode progress?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... how do I unlock packs to build "real" decks so I can play through Story mode (where the decks they give you are horrific and I have to re-start each one like 5 times), when it seems that unlocking packs in the shop is locked behind story mode progress?
Honestly you can probably make a deck that's at least a bit better than the initial story decks just from the starting pool, and there are some good cards in the og series packs

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first set of packs from the OG series characters will allow you to make decent decks from older archetypes. Luckily winning the campaign battles gives you a ton of BP and the packs are cheap.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first set of packs from the OG series characters will allow you to make decent decks from older archetypes. Luckily winning the campaign battles gives you a ton of BP and the packs are cheap.
It's worth noting that one of the best Archetypes in the game, Thunder Dragons, are in Kaiba's pack. Granted they really want the support of a few off archetype cards from other packs like Batteryman Solar

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was away to switch between the rules, I hate the link stuff. Still will get the game maybe on sale

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I bought this game not having played the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game since I was a kid and GX was the newest series. I was really excited to play the GX story with the cards I loved as a kid when I found out they have a new rule that you can only have one fusion monster which ruins almost all of the decks from that time. I wish they'd let you disable it for the older series that never had this rule in the first place :/

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game not having played the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game since I was a kid and GX was the newest series. I was really excited to play the GX story with the cards I loved as a kid when I found out they have a new rule that you can only have one fusion monster which ruins almost all of the decks from that time. I wish they'd let you disable it for the older series that never had this rule in the first place :/
I mean there are ways to get multiple fusion monsters out at once, even without link monsters, they're just annoying, require more setup, and not possible with certain fusion monsters.

Synchro era has it easier for story decks at least since Stardust Dragon's effect lets it move to a main monster zone on revival which opens up the extra monster zone again

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean there are ways to get multiple fusion monsters out at once, even without link monsters, they're just annoying, require more setup, and not possible with certain fusion monsters.

Synchro era has it easier for story decks at least since Stardust Dragon's effect lets it move to a main monster zone on revival which opens up the extra monster zone again

It's still very dumb to not just have story decks have 1 or 2 Links

Oct 27, 2017
So is there a way to set card placement to auto or I gotta do it everytime? I remember the old tag force games you could change it in the settings.