• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Aya- AC Origins
Senua- Hellblade
Yennifer- The Witcher 3
Zero Suit Samus- Smash Bros. Ultimate
Kassandra- AC Odyssey
Sadie Adler- Red Dead Redemption 2
Morag- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Nia- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Freya- God of War
Aloy- Horizon Zero Dawn

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I really think Freya from God of War deserves more mentions.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ah, yeah, I love the Persona 5 cast, but I was thinking more about leading protagonists, I guess. Makoto and Futaba especially are great.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
We have seen in this generation several female characters that stand out without necessarily being protagonists or that you can control.
Following this. Which female characters stand out above the rest?

My vote goes to:

Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
6b509da162bd59759cfcca830d020297.jpg

The most badass female character in videogame history.

The first time i saw lady maria she instantly reminded me of a female version of alucard. Actually in a lot of ways i always felt like bloodborne felt like how a modern day castlevania game should be.

latest

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Max and Chloe from Life is Strange. That game worked for me like few others, and it wouldn't have if I didn't care so much about those characters.

Additional shout-outs to Aloy (Horizon) and Sadie Adler (RDR2).

EDIT:

Also, while mostly heroic characters have been listed, I want to give a mention to Frau Irene Engel from the Wolfenstein games. She would easily win my vote as this generation's best villain, period.

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yennefer, Ciri, Keira Metz, Shani from Witcher 3
Queen Meve from Thronebreaker
The lack of female characters from Witcher 3 in this thread Is disappointing for me

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Kassandra is obviously the best, but Evie Frye and Anne Bonny/Mary Read are damn great as well. Probably one of the best things AC has done this gen is make female characters so prominent and well written, after mostly getting the shaft during AC1-3.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ciri and Yennefer, The Witcher 3.
The-Witcher.jpg

Queen Meve, Thronebreaker

Also shoutouts to Chloe from Life is Strange, Kassandra from Assasin's Creed Odyssey and Billie Lurk of Dishonored.

Last edited:

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Mythra
latest

Between Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna, she goes through some awesome character development and had the best arc

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Susie, followed by many including Undyne, Lady Maria, the Plain Doll, Eileen, Ana Amari, Elma, and Lora.

Oh yeah, and the Voice of Naga, if she counts.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Probably Aloy, though I found her mindset to be almost unbelievably modern, even with the sight she had. Still nice to have her call out everyone's bullshit.

Wildcard, but I'm also going to give a shoutout to Nora Salter from Infinite Warfare

c978b536b361ce1e16ee4ff3923d4b0e.jpg

She fit with the setting and so wasn't a wild personality, but she was a very good partner and had a strong rapport with Reyes. Their camaraderie was above and beyond anything else in the history of the series, and most other shooters. Hell, games in general. You could sense the long history and respect they had for each other, but there were still moments of tension when it comes to making difficult sacrifices.

It's a shame there will never be a sequel starring her.

tumblr_og71beowFI1r0xmk4o3_r1_400.gif

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yennefer of Vengerberg - The Witcher 3
Cassandra Pentaghast - Dragon Age Inquisition
Madeline - Celeste
Nia - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Evie Frye - Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Kate Marsh - Life is Strange
Eileen the Crow - Bloodborne

Nia from Xenoblade 2. Her blade form is... yeah, but otherwise she exudes awesomeness, a scrappy no-nonsense healer with a broad Scottish brogue. Tough on the surface but prodding just a bit beneath the surface finds a lot of depth and a sense of humor.

Agreed, except...Welsh. Very important distinction.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
User Banned (1 month): Highly inappropriate NSFW commentary and content; sexualizing school-age characters
Mod Edit: NSFW and inappropriate commentary removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Most of the good ones have been picked already, so I guess I'll just add Lora the only one from the top of my head that didn't get too many mentions.

latest

It feels so bad they couldn't buy the home for war orphans. :(

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Aloy from Horizon, Kassandra from AC Odyssey, Billie Lurk from Dishonored and Sadie Adler from RDR2 get honorable mentions, but the clear winner is

Chloe Price of Life is Strange fame

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I really think Freya from God of War deserves more mentions.
Oh yes she was great! Hope they don't just turn her into a villain in the sequel, I want more of her but not boss fights.

I also really liked Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn even though she made me annoyed everytime she talked since the mocap and facial animations were so bad, really liked her looks, original with a design that was just plain awesome.

I liked Lara Croft too in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, very easy on the eyes and much more confident than in the previous games.

Karen in Red Dead Redemption was nicely designed as well and very unique these days when everybody is slim.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Basically all the main girls from Xenoblade 2 are amazing characters with tons of personality and great character development, I love them so much.
Then there's Madeline from Celeste who is surprisingly relatable.
Lillie from Pokémon Sun and Moon, and her mother Lusamine. Damn they really nailed them this time, Lillie became instantly iconic.
And D.Va from Overwatch which is just everything cool mixed into a single person.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Amanda Ripley from Alien Isolation is another good one.

Sadie Adler from Red Dead Redemption 2 is fantastic.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Kyoko Kuremi in digimon story cyber sleuth. I didn't like her design/outfit though, it's some slutty garbage

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2B - Nier automata
Menat - SF5
Marina - Splatoon 2
Kassandra - AC:O
Alloy - Horizon
Most of the women from Overwatch

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Kassandra has this on lock.

And consider me surprised at people mentioning Lady Maria from Bloodborne. The Jango Fett effect? She's barely a character.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the good ones have been picked already, so I guess I'll just add Lora the only one from the top of my head that didn't get too many mentions.

It feels so bad they couldn't buy the home for war orphans. :(
I was pleasantly surprised yeah! Like, you don't get that much info about her in XBC2 main game but she, and the rest of the Torna drivers come off as chill and sensible and responsible.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Ana.png

Ana from Overwatch. I like her design a lot

Good call. Ana would probably also be my choice if we are talking purely about character design (both visually and mechanically).

My contribution though:

witcher3carnal_yennefer.jpg

Yennifer from Witcher 3.

She is human in a way I think few characters are ever allowed to be. She is badass, cruel, kind, loving, vindictive, vulnerable, warm, cold, etc. all over the span of one game.